Sign in to follow this  
alex_ncfc

Bassong interview

Anyone else watched it yet?

I know there are two sides to every story, but sounds like the club treated him pretty badly. And Neil Adams comes across as a bit of a w*nker. Our new sporting director, folks.

Edited by alex_ncfc

5 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Anyone else watched it yet?

I know there are two sides to every story, but sounds club the club treated him pretty badly. And Neil Adams comes across as a bit of a w*nker. Our new sporting director, folks.

Haven’t watched it yet but read the Pinkun piece, pretty abysmal and petty treatment from the club if what he’s saying is true.

I’ve been pretty surprised the last few years with the way we’ve treated players deemed surplus or not good enough, it’s felt a bit off in my opinion and not in keeping with the values the club espouses.

• Like 1

Since leaving us at the age of 30 he managed a game for Peterborough and three games in Greece.

Got the hump big time when Hughton left apparently.

Was it not bassong that allegedly dissed Adams in front of the dressing room for being a nobody when he first went in as manager? 

• Like 3

Two sides to every story... if we hadn't have just got relegated the club wouldn't be getting any stick for this. He was someone who, when he turned up, was very good. He just decided not to turn up 50% of the time and we (correctly) moved on from him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Was it not bassong that allegedly dissed Adams in front of the dressing room for being a nobody when he first went in as manager? 

Well he was right. He was just pointing out what everyone else already knew, Adams should never have been given the manager's job

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Two sides to every story... if we hadn't have just got relegated the club wouldn't be getting any stick for this. He was someone who, when he turned up, was very good. He just decided not to turn up 50% of the time and we (correctly) moved on from him.

Perhaps 90% of the time isn’t good enough 🤷‍♀️

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Archant creating more anti-Webber sentiment. He's really rattled their cage!

Great to see.

Also Archant are a struggling business and giving the people what they want to hear. Paddy and Connor have mentioned the download and view figures are very strong on the podcasts etc. Maybe a more sensational future for Archant lies ahead. 

How convenient that a story wherein Webber is a scary monster surfaces via TNC just now. 

Zeitgeist doesnt just sound like a player we would sign for 800k from Holsten Kiel

• Like 1

Good interview and brought back some happy memories of being able to survive in the Prem!

Also made some good points on recruitment, nothing surprising but when a prem player told him he would rather play in the Champs than live in Norwich it brought home our major issues.

Whilst I liked big Bass and he comes across well here, would be interested to hear the other sides to this. By his own admission he clearly ruffled a few feathers and it's not as if better clubs were lining up to sign him.

On a lighter note his Halloween pranking tickled me.

I’m inclined to take this with a pinch of salt. Kind of feels like everyone wants a pound of flesh from Webber right now and wheeling out Bassong to stick his boot in after nearly 5 years where he’s had the opportunity to raise his voice about how he was treated in that period seems a little trite. 

Bassong himself is rumoured to have once said to Neil Adams “who are you??” when he took charge post Chris Hughton as well as coming across a little bitter in this article / podcast. Let it go mate, it was then. 

Edited by Danke bitte
All The small things
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

Since leaving us at the age of 30 he managed a game for Peterborough and three games in Greece.

Got the hump big time when Hughton left apparently.

Two sides to every story the how Bassongs career has gone should tell you that maybe that while our club did treat him poorrly maybe there was a reason he was not treated well.

• Like 1

Bassong expects handshakes after rudely, arrogantly asking "who are you?" when NA takes over as manager. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Well he was right. He was just pointing out what everyone else already knew, Adams should never have been given the manager's job

Leaving aside whether or not he was correct, I wouldn't advise this to anyone as a good career move - especially during the first team meeting as is rumoured.

43 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Bassong expects handshakes after rudely, arrogantly asking "who are you?" when NA takes over as manager. 

6 minutes ago, Badger said:

Leaving aside whether or not he was correct, I wouldn't advise this to anyone as a good career move - especially during the first team meeting as is rumoured.

I don’t think Bassong was justified in what he did but by his own admission he’s a pretty emotional guy and can do some rash things.

Neil Adam’s sent him out on loan for half a season before losing his job whereupon Alex Neil brought him back in and rest is history.

Sometimes when you’re the guy in charge people challenge you and say things like that, removing that person in response is the easy option and you could say it’s designed to get control through fear of reprisal.

Regardless the stuff with the handshakes the not being given a seat and not acknowledged at his last player dinner is petty beyond belief. Sometimes you have difficult characters in your team, but there is such a thing as taking the higher ground, especially when that person has been a good servant to the cause.

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I don’t think Bassong was justified in what he did but by his own admission he’s a pretty emotional guy and can do some rash things.

Neil Adam’s sent him out on loan for half a season before losing his job whereupon Alex Neil brought him back in and rest is history.

Sometimes when you’re the guy in charge people challenge you and say things like that, removing that person in response is the easy option and you could say it’s designed to get control through fear of reprisal.

Regardless the stuff with the handshakes the not being given a seat and not acknowledged at his last player dinner is petty beyond belief. Sometimes you have difficult characters in your team, but there is such a thing as taking the higher ground, especially when that person has been a good servant to the cause.

I don't disagree in principle Monty, but in the context of a guy taking charge with 5 games to save us from relegation, I don't think an open challenge from a senior player is very helpful. I don't see the good side of his action?

3 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

Ancient history. No one cares. 

We will see - but I imagine that it will get several hundred views if not more. I am going to watch it as I am interested.

1 hour ago, Segura said:

Also made some good points on recruitment, nothing surprising but when a prem player told him he would rather play in the Champs than live in Norwich it brought home our major issues.

This is just total "Apologist" nonsense. We all know that the "happy clappers" put this about as cover for the fact that no multi-billionaire owners have offered to buy Norwich when the reality is that there are loads of them, but they are frightened of Delia!

As for this stuff about Norwich not having a sophisticated enough night-life to attract young millionaire players - total rubbish: have they never heard of Wetherspoons? (Spoons to the cognoscenti 😉)

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Like Farke with Drmic, Leitner, Oliviera…?

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Two sides to every story the how Bassongs career has gone should tell you that maybe that while our club did treat him poorly maybe there was a reason he was not treated well.

I think the fact that he was a free agent for 18 months after being released at the age of 30/31 speaks volumes. It wasn't just our club that had a dim view of him.

Edited by Icecream Snow

56 minutes ago, Badger said:

I don't disagree in principle Monty, but in the context of a guy taking charge with 5 games to save us from relegation, I don't think an open challenge from a senior player is very helpful. I don't see the good side of his action?

Not saying there is one at all, rash, impetuous and unprofessional. A highly charged environment isn’t an excuse.

My point was people in leadership are meant to be the bigger ones, to deal with the situation in a professional way. Adam’s seems to have dealt with it by removing him in his first full season in charge, maybe the right call, I don’t know how bad the blood was. However the fact Alex Neil came along and quickly reinstated him does indicate something.

Like I said this is all irrelevant to the handshake and dinner stories which if true I just can’t see any reason for but pettiness personally, from leaders in positions of power who should act better.

56 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I mean every situation is different, but we do seem to have had a lot of players where the response has been to isolate and ostracise them. I’m not convinced it was a necessary approach for all, it’s pretty nuclear man management.  

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

My point was people in leadership are meant to be the bigger ones, to deal with the situation in a professional way.

Again, I don't disagree in principle .. but context is important. A direct challenge at your first team meeting in the notoriously "macho" atmosphere with millionaire football players who feel they are more important than you, the club etc. I don't think managing a group of football players in a short-term relegation battle is a similar context to an office environment where you have time to build relationships etc.

• Like 1

I expect football is no different from any other profession or job wherein people don't always get on with each other. And in football, if someone is dropped or a new manager plays him different to his comfort zone then there will be moans. And I dare say the admin staff equally have their favourites and react differently to CEO's etc.

Just take it for what it is, a good topic over a pint and leave it at that.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

I think the issue here is that they had time on their contracts and nobody was prepared to pay the same as they had on their contract with us. Clubs try to make life "uncomfortable" for players to accept lesser terms at other clubs or a smaller pay off.

The "Secret Footballer" recounts an episode where he refused to move on just to p1ss off the owner who he hated, after he had stopped being picked for the team.

I still remember Bassong picking up the ball in defense, dribbling forwards losing it at the half way line, diving as he had lost possession and then waving his arms around and tea potting as the opposition scored.
Two sides to every story and you could see what an arrogant pr*ck he was from training vids and interviews. We were facing relegation and he was larking about having a great ol time.
GTFO of my club