TIL 1010

Can't Argue With Any Of This But Some Will No Doubt.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Generally speaking any teams with parachute payments will have one of the biggest budgets in the division.

Although the author suggested that the parachute payments would largely be used up on the Premier League level salaries of many of the squad.

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think the truth is that many people have no idea what running a football club entails. There’s plenty of success stories but also plenty of horror stories, we are currently somewhere the ‘right’ side of the middle.

As to ‘a majority want change’, that’s massively simplistic.  People might want change if success is guaranteed - but it can’t be, there’s 20-30 other sides looking for exactly the same thing. There’s also a question as to what ‘success’ is.  As soon as we become an established PL side (if it happens), what then?

I don't think we'll ever be an "established" Premier League club. Clubs of our size will always have one eye over their shoulder. There are probably only around 6 or 7 clubs who can be confident of never being relegated. And there is the problem with football today. It used to be possible to go up to the top division and survive. Nowadays it's nigh on impossible and that can't be right. Even when teams throw money at it like Leeds and Villa there is no guarantee. I've said it before and it bears repeating, it's not Norwich City that is at fault, it is the Premier League. The only thing that might cure it is a club like Everton going down and not getting back. 

12 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Although the author suggested that the parachute payments would largely be used up on the Premier League level salaries of many of the squad.

Yes but that's still part of the budget. Essentially we'll be paying wages for players that almost all of our competition couldn't afford to do. I'd also imagine that we'll probably spend more in fees than most this summer, even if our net spend might be a profit.

2 hours ago, kdncfc said:

Lets just wait and see how things pan out for them next season to make a proper judgement.

I got a freebie to enemy territory a few weeks ago. They're miles away from a promotion team and even further away from a team that can get up and stay up. Based on what I saw they have a goalkeeper and 3 other players capable of playing in the Championship. A centre half, a slightly nasty defensive midfielder and an old fashioned right winger. Sorry, don't know their names. The rest of them wouldn't have got anywhere near our League 1 team. 

The football in League 1 is entertaining but the gap between them and the Championship is just as big as the difference between Championship and Premier League 

As a so-called ‘self-funding’ club relegation will imply a wholesale disposal of relatively high wage players plus the realisation of any players assets with some value (Pukki, Aarons, Krul). Even with these steps taken our wage bill will still likely not be manageable on a ‘self-funding’ basis if we’re not promoted at the first attempt. Failing promotion we’ll once again be faced with a massively downgraded squad and potentially a ‘Maddison’ away from administration but without an obvious Maddison type asset to stave it off. Only new investment will break our cycle of failure.

Edited by Highland Canary
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Isnt the Waterfront the nominated away boozer these days? 

I believe it is but when away fans make for what for years was the traditional away pub The Compleat Angler and find they are not permitted in they just cross the road and go in The Nelson who are happy to have them in there.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean we did bring something new to the club.. Soccerbot! Although I think they forgot to turn it on

We couldn't afford the batteries after the summer signings.

40 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I believe it is but when away fans make for what for years was the traditional away pub The Compleat Angler and find they are not permitted in they just cross the road and go in The Nelson who are happy to have them in there.

If that's true it's changed in the last few weeks because the Nelson has been like fort knox after matches this season. The away fans are usually staying there. I only got in because I use the carpark entrance and I think the people on reception feel sorry for me.🙃

Edited by nutty nigel

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

If that's true it's changed in the last few weeks because the Nelson has been like fort knox after matches this season. The away fans are usually staying there. I only got in because I use the carpark entrance and I think the people on reception feel sorry for me.🙃

Everyone does Nutty. 

Is there time to mention that I’m staying at the Nelson on Tuesday, first time I’ve ever had to stay in a hotel in Norwich. No……ok.

After the game yesterday a player broke ranks and quote- “whole load of problems, in terms of players, staff, everything higher up”. 
The player, McTominay, oh the absolute tradedy of 6th place in the premiership, the lack of ambition, the nepotism, the fear of change, the prawn sandwiches…..oh woe woe and thrice woe. 

1 hour ago, Highland Canary said:

As a so-called ‘self-funding’ club relegation will imply a wholesale disposal of relatively high wage players plus the realisation of any players assets with some value (Pukki, Aarons, Krul). Even with these steps taken our wage bill will still likely not be manageable on a ‘self-funding’ basis if we’re not promoted at the first attempt. Failing promotion we’ll once again be faced with a massively downgraded squad and potentially a ‘Maddison’ away from administration but without an obvious Maddison type asset to stave it off. Only new investment will break our cycle of failure.

Is any of this true?

Aren't players contracts structured so that the division we are playing in reflects the wages so that we do not get into the situation before where the wage bill was unmanageable? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Badger said:

I'm not aware of ever having read this anywhere though? I am on this board too frequently, but I can't recall ever seeing it. I can recall many occasions when it has been alleged, but none where this has been evidenced once challenged.

I've never seen it full stop. I have never seen it said that no one else is capable of running or owning this football club. The rest of the premier league and football league is testament to that.

That is never the question is it, so that isn't the answer.

The problem always is the cyclic argument thing.

"Delia OUT!"
"It's not just Delia is it?"
"Ok, SACK THE BOARD!"
"OK, say the board walk out, leave, their shares are on the table, who next?"

That's usually how it goes. People are very keen to point out Munby's role post chase, but who do we have now? People don't want Tom (nephew) to be involved in the process. So who at the club plays that vital role that Munby did? Foulger?

As Purple has pointed out an others continue to evidence with their expressions on here, unless there is something more co-ordinated that isn't based upon angst, undue anger and, frankly, hatred, nothing will ever happen.

The further difficulty to that is that such attitudes alienate people who may well support such a notion if it was more reasoned, reasonable and progressive. Rather than this kind of, "tare the lot down and start again from scratch" attitude.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Is any of this true?

Aren't players contracts structured so that the division we are playing in reflects the wages so that we do not get into the situation before where the wage bill was unmanageable? 

I hope so. I have been reading posts assuming players will be on EPL wages in the Championship. Surely we have negotiated reduced wage clauses? Lets face it, none of these players would earn the level of wages in any other country. Worthington persuaded the board to keep players on Prem wages after relegation and it backfired.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I don't think we'll ever be an "established" Premier League club. Clubs of our size will always have one eye over their shoulder. There are probably only around 6 or 7 clubs who can be confident of never being relegated. And there is the problem with football today. It used to be possible to go up to the top division and survive. Nowadays it's nigh on impossible and that can't be right. Even when teams throw money at it like Leeds and Villa there is no guarantee. I've said it before and it bears repeating, it's not Norwich City that is at fault, it is the Premier League. The only thing that might cure it is a club like Everton going down and not getting back. 

I would say that there are probably only 4 or 5 now at most. Everton could well be relegated this season, and they'd be one of the last remaining sides not to have been relegated in the premier league era. The last such club was Villa.

Everton aside, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal. Every other team has been in relatively recent history.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I've spoken to fans who want D and M to stay even if an acceptable offer came in. Is that good enough for you Badger? 

For balance, I've also spoken to fans who want D and M to go asap.

The world isn't this forum - get out of your sett and go speak to the common people!

OTBC

If you say so DDJ, but I've never spoken to anyone who thinks that D and M are the only possible owners. 

If there were many of them, you would have thought that at least one would posted on here.

3 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I used to work with the chap who wrote the article, Norwich City through and through and a top bloke, he also has a very good knowledge of finance/finances.........

I have no reason to doubt that he is pleasant chap, I know that he's a keen City fan. However, it seems strange that if he's knowledgeable about City's finances that he would make such a big mistake.

It seems to me that either he doesn't know as much as you think about our finances all that he is trying to deliberately mislead.

Are there alternative explanations that I have missed?

22 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I hope so. I have been reading posts assuming players will be on EPL wages in the Championship. Surely we have negotiated reduced wage clauses? Lets face it, none of these players would earn the level of wages in any other country. Worthington persuaded the board to keep players on Prem wages after relegation and it backfired.

I'm almost certain that there will be relegation reductions as a norm. I think that Teemu's situation is the exception rather than the rule.

40 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Is any of this true?

I I think that it is probably sensible to regard Highland Canary as a supporter of questionable provenance. 😉

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

I have no reason to doubt that he is pleasant chap, I know that he's a keen City fan. However, it seems strange that if he's knowledgeable about City's finances that he would make such a big mistake.

It seems to me that either he doesn't know as much as you think about our finances all that he is trying to deliberately mislead.

Are there alternative explanations that I have missed?

I said he understands finance/finances not he understands Norwich City's finances!!...........

• Like 1

Just now, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I said he understands finance/finances not he understands Norwich City's finances!!...........

Thanks for the clarification. 

Hopefully he will investigate the facts about it further in the future?

2 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Which we know to be untrue - bar Pukki's extension of one year, but that itself challenges another point made. 

7 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I mean we did bring something new to the club.. Soccerbot! Although I think they forgot to turn it on

Can see why no other club has soccerbot. Its like having F1 for xbox and thinking you can give Hamilton a run for his money. 
total waste of money as it does not replicate being closed down. 
does Webber have shares in soccerbot?

1 minute ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

How Chicken? Has something come out from the club?

OTBC

Just take Chicken’s word on it please, he’s unassuming, modest and respects all views that conflict with his own. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Just take Chicken’s word on it please, he’s unassuming, modest and respects all views that conflict with his own. 

Haha! I'm actually being serious (for once). He said it with such certainty I assumed I must have missed something!

OTBC

Just now, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

How Chicken? Has something come out from the club?

OTBC

Yes - every season. Majority of players have relegation clauses in their contracts. Exception to that rule has been made quite public and that is Pukki's extension of a year.

It is well reported. You only need to look at the accounts last time after relegation to see that wages came down in line with parachute payments.

At least, either way, I am not the one putting forward an article stating that our players will be on premier league wages when in the championship thus essentially calling those at the club liars for suggesting we are "sustainable" because we'd go to the wall within two seasons etc.

I'd summon @Feedthewolf but I'm not sure he wants to wade into this, but I'd also suggest that a glance at contracts would also reveal that a few players will be out of contract within a couple of seasons so we'd naturally shed some wages etc and be able to adjust going forward.

For example, Pukki only has a year left. Rupp is out of contract this summer. Cantwell only has a further year on his contract after the extension was triggered.

Gibson's contract runs out at the end of the season after next, two seasons into parachute payments, so will be Lees-Melou's and Giannoulis'. Zimmermanns is up before then. McLean's contract runs until next summer.

At which point we are already at 8 players out of contract within two seasons at least, even if they were on PL wages when we are in the championship - which there is zero evidence to suggest, with much evidence to suggest they are on clauses that see their wages drop when relegated (such as the club accounts).

1 minute ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Haha! I'm actually being serious (for once). He said it with such certainty I assumed I must have missed something!

OTBC

To be fair his match day threads are awesome but the daily essays are now used to help insomniacs sleep at most private hospitals. 

1 minute ago, chicken said:

Yes - every season. Majority of players have relegation clauses in their contracts. Exception to that rule has been made quite public and that is Pukki's extension of a year.

It is well reported. You only need to look at the accounts last time after relegation to see that wages came down in line with parachute payments.

At least, either way, I am not the one putting forward an article stating that our players will be on premier league wages when in the championship thus essentially calling those at the club liars for suggesting we are "sustainable" because we'd go to the wall within two seasons etc.

I'd summon @Feedthewolf but I'm not sure he wants to wade into this, but I'd also suggest that a glance at contracts would also reveal that a few players will be out of contract within a couple of seasons so we'd naturally shed some wages etc and be able to adjust going forward.

For example, Pukki only has a year left. Rupp is out of contract this summer. Cantwell only has a further year on his contract after the extension was triggered.

Gibson's contract runs out at the end of the season after next, two seasons into parachute payments, so will be Lees-Melou's and Giannoulis'. Zimmermanns is up before then. McLean's contract runs until next summer.

At which point we are already at 8 players out of contract within two seasons at least, even if they were on PL wages when we are in the championship - which there is zero evidence to suggest, with much evidence to suggest they are on clauses that see their wages drop when relegated (such as the club accounts).

So nothing concrete then, just assumptions from what's previously occurred?

I agree it's highly likely it's the case (it was in 2020) but just wondered if something had been said.

Thanks.

OTBC