TIL 1010

Can't Argue With Any Of This But Some Will No Doubt.

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

“The notion that Delia Smith and Michael Wynn-Jones are literally the only two people capable of owning and controlling this football club is wearing a little thin.”

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I'm not aware of ever having read this anywhere though? I am on this board too frequently, but I can't recall ever seeing it. I can recall many occasions when it has been alleged, but none where this has been evidenced once challenged.

I've spoken to fans who want D and M to stay even if an acceptable offer came in. Is that good enough for you Badger? 

For balance, I've also spoken to fans who want D and M to go asap.

The world isn't this forum - get out of your sett and go speak to the common people!

OTBC

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I've spoken to fans who want D and M to stay even if an acceptable offer came in. Is that good enough for you Badger? 

For balance, I've also spoken to fans who want D and M to go asap.

The world isn't this forum - get out of your sett and go speak to the common people!

OTBC

Best stay in the sett, we’re all creatures of habit. Too many traps out there, who can you trust? 

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

All the right noises but likely to finish even worse than the season before.

Lets just wait and see how things pan out for them next season to make a proper judgement.

2 minutes ago, kdncfc said:

Lets just wait and see how things pan out for them next season to make a proper judgement.

Their owners wanted auto-promotion this season, attracted on-paper good players to the club (some of who now want to leave after being promised just a single season of league one footy) - stuck with the previous regimes manager because they were positive he was the right man despite some fan opinion being different, ended up sacking him anyway, recruited a novice manager who's made them relatively defensive solid but now can't score. 

Oh and on top of all that, they're Ipswich. Marcus Evans said all the right things when he came in and plenty on here showed their jealousy. However this is now going to be their 4th season as a mid table third tier tinpot club and I'm incredibly grateful to their owners for that 🙃

Just now, hogesar said:

Their owners wanted auto-promotion this season, attracted on-paper good players to the club (some of who now want to leave after being promised just a single season of league one footy) - stuck with the previous regimes manager because they were positive he was the right man despite some fan opinion being different, ended up sacking him anyway, recruited a novice manager who's made them relatively defensive solid but now can't score. 

Oh and on top of all that, they're Ipswich. Marcus Evans said all the right things when he came in and plenty on here showed their jealousy. However this is now going to be their 4th season as a mid table third tier tinpot club and I'm incredibly grateful to their owners for that 🙃

It's funny that they've been stuck in League 1 for so long but I bet you wouldn't find many of their fans wanting Evans back simply because they can see some progress on and off the pitch. It may go **** up for them but they've had the balls to try something different. The new owners can hardly be blamed as they haven't been there that long.

10 minutes ago, kdncfc said:

It's funny that they've been stuck in League 1 for so long but I bet you wouldn't find many of their fans wanting Evans back simply because they can see some progress on and off the pitch. It may go **** up for them but they've had the balls to try something different. The new owners can hardly be blamed as they haven't been there that long.

They didn't have the balls for anything. Marcus Evans threw money at it, didn't work, tried to run on a shoestring and lost more money, and therefore wanted to sell.

Could have stuck with it, the only reason he sold was because he knew the fans wanted him out and was forced to accept he could take the club no further. If only our owners would follow his lead.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kdncfc said:

Could have stuck with it, the only reason he sold was because he knew the fans wanted him out and was forced to accept he could take the club no further. If only our owners would follow his lead.

Their fans didnt protest, only a small proportion wanted him out for a long time then eventually they protested a bit during matches. It still took multiple third tier seasons for their fans to make any real noise, whilst he also let the stadium fall apart, the training facilities fall apart and regress, not achieve their category a status for the academy. 

Its not really comparable to us, and our fans have done nothing to let them know they want Delia Out, because the majority don't actively want that (different to not being open to new ownership).

It’s quite simple for me. There is literally no point in us being promoted again under this ownership, which in turn makes any championship success utterly irrelevant.The owners have had many chances at this level and history has shown we can’t be competitive here. It’s time to see who else out there is interested in taking it on.

Edited by Virtual reality
  • Like 1

I think the majority of our fans would want Delia out, problem is there are to many oldies like me who can no longer be bothered to make a big issue of it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Its not really comparable to us, and our fans have done nothing to let them know they want Delia Out, because the majority don't actively want that (different to not being open to new ownership).

How do any of us know what a majority of supporters favour?  As for Delia and Michael leaving being different to the concept of new ownership, I doubt they’d wish to stay on the Board if there was someone else pulling the strings.

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

“The notion that Delia Smith and Michael Wynn-Jones are literally the only two people capable of owning and controlling this football club is wearing a little thin.”

👍

This line sums it up perfectly, really.

There are so many Norwich fans (including many on this board) who come across so scared of change, it's a wonder they manage to change their underwear each day. I actually think there are some who think DS and MWJ are just going to live forever and never leave. They can't stand the idea of somebody else owning the club outside of Delia and Michael, or nepotism Tom.

This is Norwich City FC, not Delia and Michael's Norwich City FC. As much as they have deceived you into thinking that they are the best owners of the club as well as accepting mediocrity, I'd say a majority of Norwich fans want change. 

• Like 5

Still too many who think we still owe Delia. It was 26 years ago. How long do we keep genuflecting to her? Everything moves on in sport. But our attitude remains back in 1996.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

This line sums it up perfectly, really.

There are so many Norwich fans (including many on this board) who come across so scared of change, it's a wonder they manage to change their underwear each day. I actually think there are some who think DS and MWJ are just going to live forever and never leave. They can't stand the idea of somebody else owning the club outside of Delia and Michael, or nepotism Tom.

This is Norwich City FC, not Delia and Michael's Norwich City FC. As much as they have deceived you into thinking that they are the best owners of the club as well as accepting mediocrity, I'd say a majority of Norwich fans want change. 

I think the truth is that many people have no idea what running a football club entails. There’s plenty of success stories but also plenty of horror stories, we are currently somewhere the ‘right’ side of the middle.

As to ‘a majority want change’, that’s massively simplistic.  People might want change if success is guaranteed - but it can’t be, there’s 20-30 other sides looking for exactly the same thing. There’s also a question as to what ‘success’ is.  As soon as we become an established PL side (if it happens), what then?

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think the truth is that many people have no idea what running a football club entails. There’s plenty of success stories but also plenty of horror stories, we are currently somewhere In the middle.

As to ‘a majority want change’, that’s a bit simplistic.  People will always want change if success is guaranteed - but it can’t be. There’s also a question as to what ‘success’ is.  As soon as we become an established PL side (if it happens), what then?

Success would be not going up to the top league to meekly accept relegation before a ball is kicked with an attitude of "just happy to be here" (which Delia actually said herself) which stems from the top and filters down throughout the entire club leading to apathy from the fans when we just embarrass ourselves time after time at this level.

If we went up and put up a hell of a fight and went down in 18th place, staying in the fight all season and actually competing, I actually think the fans would be OK with that and satisfied that they could see we are at least trying. Also, we were established for a 9-year stretch between 86 and 95, and I'm pretty sure people were for the main happy to see us play entertaining football and competing in the top division. No Norwich fan is expecting us to win the Premier League or get in the Champions League, but ffs, just to show some fight and desire to be in the Premier League instead of raising the white flag in October would be nice 🙄

6 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

Success would be not going up to the top league to meekly accept relegation before a ball is kicked with an attitude of "just happy to be here" (which Delia actually said herself) which stems from the top and filters down throughout the entire club leading to apathy from the fans when we just embarrass ourselves time after time at this level.

If we went up and put up a hell of a fight and went down in 18th place, staying in the fight all season and actually competing, I actually think the fans would be OK with that and satisfied that they could see we are at least trying. Also, we were established for a 9-year stretch between 86 and 95, and I'm pretty sure people were for the main happy to see us play entertaining football and competing in the top division. No Norwich fan is expecting us to win the Premier League or get in the Champions League, but ffs, just to show some fight and desire to be in the Premier League instead of raising the white flag in October would be nice 🙄

That doesn’t really answer the question - it mostly says what “success” isn’t rather than what it is… but it’s interesting that you’d be satisfied with an ‘honourable’ relegation in 18th.  I don’t think that would really be any measure of success given that the ultimate upshot is the same. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

It's easy to say get rid of the owners and we will be better. But in truth we have been better with the owners. For me the two faces of Norwich City has been decided by the ability of sporting director/ CE when coupled with strong leadership from the board. Both Webber and McNally before him were great with Chairmen like Bowkett and Ed Balls. But after the chairmen departed they both appeared to go 'off the rails".

So it's obvious to me what we need.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Now he wouldn’t be welcome at the Nelson writing treasonable comments like that. 

The Nelson has been an away fans pub since The Compleat Angler stopped entertaining them pre pandemic.

Edited by TIL 1010

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Certainly some truth in it. The Times article was a PR disaster; there is no guarantee of promotion next year etc

Some things definitely wrong - our budget is not shoestring in the Championship, especially with parachute payments. It is likely to be the biggest or second biggest next year.

Some parts purely speculative. He acknowledges that by special resolution there is the capacity to create a million new shares, which is as far as I am aware correct but then says that he doesn't think that the owners want them to be taken up. It is, of course, purely speculative with no evidence and does not even attempt to explain why they should pass and renew the special resolution?

So, whilst the OP might agree with all of it, perhaps he might explain why he believes that our budget will be lower than most Championship clubs and why the special resolution has been passed enabling the creation of new shares?

I used to work with the chap who wrote the article, Norwich City through and through and a top bloke, he also has a very good knowledge of finance/finances.........

4 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

The Nelson has been an away fans pub since The Compleat Angler stopped entertaining them pre pandemic.

Platinum Lace then. 

1 hour ago, kdncfc said:

I guess 

But if being top 26 is accepting mediocrity what's praying for 'top 50'?

3 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Can't Argue With Any Of This But Some Will No Doubt.

And lo and behold, the usual suspects do exactly that.

I think i got a full house on page 1 alone.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

I guess 

But if being top 26 is accepting mediocrity what's praying for 'top 50'?

It’s important when you’re about to finish 51st 😁

• Haha 1

It would be nice to be known as a club who plays half decent PL football instead of being inextricably linked to celebrity cook DS, her famous ‘let’s be avin you’ moment and the lazy cooking puns we get heaped upon us.

18 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It's easy to say get rid of the owners and we will be better. But in truth we have been better with the owners. For me the two faces of Norwich City has been decided by the ability of sporting director/ CE when coupled with strong leadership from the board. Both Webber and McNally before him were great with Chairmen like Bowkett and Ed Balls. But after the chairmen departed they both appeared to go 'off the rails".

So it's obvious to me what we need.

Webber, McNally, Bowkett and Ed Balls all at the club at the same time!?

It's radical Nutty, I'll give you that. All that testosterone! I don't think we've got a room strong enough to contain all that musk. 

OTBC

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Yeah to be fair there's some good bits in it but he's got some facts spectacularly wrong. We will be paying more wages than at least 20 clubs in the division next season, and likely spend more in transfer fees too.

You say he's got some 'facts' spectacularly wrong but you then put forward a point that you have no evidence of surely? Have you access to the wage bill records of ............'at least 20 clubs' then to support your argument/. Your point is conjecture just as the 'shoestring' argument of the author.  

48 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Isnt the Waterfront the nominated away boozer these days? 

Just now, yellowrider120 said:

You say he's got some 'facts' spectacularly wrong but you then put forward a point that you have no evidence of surely? Have you access to the wage bill records of ............'at least 20 clubs' then to support your argument/. Your point is conjecture just as the 'shoestring' argument of the author.  

Generally speaking any teams with parachute payments will have one of the biggest budgets in the division.