vlad666

Webber interview with the times

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

He just always comes across as a bit of a t**t to me. And one who seems to be almost blackmailing the club with his “I’m ready to walk out the door” lines. 

I very much hope he’s taken a pay cut for these “pockets of time off” and the 90% commitment we are getting. 

Tbh I’ve never really bought into the Webber thing - there’s obviously been some good stuff but I think he is indeed a bit of a twot.

• Like 1

Kudos to On the Stall City for the Everest reference. 😀

I know there are some on this post who really care about the CSF, so I'm sure you'll all give generously.

35 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Posters wanted to hear from Webber and when he gives a long interview they complain that he's got an attitude problem, or should that be an altitude problem...

24 minutes ago, hogesar said:

"WE DEMAND TO HEAR FROM WEBBER"

*Rest of PinkUn warns its unlikely to make a difference to anything,  and likely to just give the same posters something else to complain about*

*Webber does interview*

"WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS?!?!?"

Why does people wanting to hear from Webber mean they have to like everything he says? Or should we all just be grateful that such a great man has deigned to engage with the fans he clearly finds so trying.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Posters want to hear him talk about Norwich City, what went wrong and what he’s doing about it. But we can’t get an interview about that for love or money. 

He may do that at the end of the season, but the reason why The Times wanted to interview Webber now was to talk about Everest, with Norwich City being incidental. Just as all those interviews with Delia were about her book on a way of living.

52 minutes ago, hogesar said:

"WE DEMAND TO HEAR FROM WEBBER"

*Rest of PinkUn warns its unlikely to make a difference to anything,  and likely to just give the same posters something else to complain about*

*Webber does interview*

"WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS?!?!?"

But it's not a simple binary process though is it Hoggy?

You can:

A) Want to hear from him, and

B) Not agree with him, or

C) Agree with him, or

D) Part agree with him or

E) Not want to hear from him, and

F) Not agree with him, or

G) Agree with him, or

H) Part agree with him or

I) Not give a sh1t about any of this unless he's talking about ice cream.

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
Added even more choices!

17 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Posters want to hear him talk about Norwich City, what went wrong and what he’s doing about it. But we can’t get an interview about that for love or money. 

Posters want all sorts of things but few of them are realistic. Point me to the Sporting Director or equivalent of any club who has given the sort of interview you want while in their job. 

Jeez, there are some blinkered and entitled posters for on this thread (not aimed at you Jim). How many of you give “100%” in your jobs? Do you not keep some of yourselves back for your family, your friends, your out of work activities? How many people who work at football clubs aren’t constantly evaluating their position and looking at where they might go next.

Posters seem unable to comprehend that players and staff are almost never supporters of the club where they work. It’s a job to them. We are fortunate to have someone in the SD job who has been very good at it - look at the performance of all comparable size clubs (not just those you cherry pick), look at the funding we have and then tell me we aren’t outperforming. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Why does people wanting to hear from Webber mean they have to like everything he says? Or should we all just be grateful that such a great man has deigned to engage with the fans he clearly finds so trying.

Yea I don’t get this, just because he’s being honest means he’s immune from criticism for some reason?

• Like 1

I think some people are making a mountain out of a molehill about him going up a mountain 🤣

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Posters want all sorts of things but few of them are realistic. Point me to the Sporting Director or equivalent of any club who has given the sort of interview you want while in their job. 

Jeez, there are some blinkered and entitled posters for on this thread (not aimed at you Jim). How many of you give “100%” in your jobs? Do you not keep some of yourselves back for your family, your friends, your out of work activities? How many people who work at football clubs aren’t constantly evaluating their position and looking at where they might go next.

Posters seem unable to comprehend that players and staff are almost never supporters of the club where they work. It’s a job to them. We are fortunate to have someone in the SD job who has been very good at it - look at the performance of all comparable size clubs (not just those you cherry pick), look at the funding we have and then tell me we aren’t outperforming. 

Not many employers would allow you the time and lack of focus to do your job for an Everest climb, especially probably the most important position at this club. Most companies would expect you to take a break or leave to do such a thing! Lastly it’s been an utterly poor season and the pressure should be on him to focus on an important championship season coming up.

He’s obviously got his focus on his personal goals and as a fan of Norwich I would rather he took himself out of the club to focus on this and allow NA to take control as he can give full focus to the needs of the job!

Edited by Indy

Majority of posts are certainly upset with the article. He has always seemed arrogant which I never thought was a problem because that is his personality. But he seems to be swapping arrogance for infallibility in the article.

Its very similar to what is happening in politics at the moment. Only the kudos will do. No sense of being responsible for failure. And which ever way you look at it, this season, including the close season, has been a failure. And one which is even more galling because he gave us hope with his quotes about arming the coach.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Yea I don’t get this, just because he’s being honest means he’s immune from criticism for some reason?

I don't think anyone is saying that.

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don't think anyone is saying that.

“Posters wanted to hear from Webber and when he gives a long intterview they complain that he's got an attitude problem, or should that be an altitude problem...”

What were you saying then purple because that’s how that reads to me?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

If people who moaned he should do an interview were moaning about him doing an interview then sure it would be a contradiction but it isn't.

Personally I think this is awful PR and he comes across as extremely arrogant. I'm not sure after a year of failing miserably at my job I'd pull the 'I don't want to be here but I've been begged to stay you're all lucky to have me you ungrateful swines. Oh also I'm only giving 90%' card.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Nobody wants 100% of his whole life. Just to be fully committed to the cause. He’s admitted not being able to give it his all as he wants to do other things and our owners are fine with this. 

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Majority of posts are certainly upset with the article. He has always seemed arrogant which I never thought was a problem because that is his personality. But he seems to be swapping arrogance for infallibility in the article.

Its very similar to what is happening in politics at the moment. Only the kudos will do. No sense of being responsible for failure. And which ever way you look at it, this season, including the close season, has been a failure. And one which is even more galling because he gave us hope with his quotes about arming the coach.

Also saying relegation doesn’t upset him means his failures both bother him. 

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I took it to mean he was only giving 90% in his job role, not his whole existence on the planet. If he gave 100% of all he had to his job, when would he have time to go to the toilet?

OTBC

Edited by Disco Dales Jockstrap
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

If the default isn’t to give a 100% in your job for the very valid reasons you suggest, what’s Webber actually giving?

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

“Posters wanted to hear from Webber and when he gives a long interview they complain that he's got an attitude problem, or should that be an altitude problem...”

What were you saying then purple because that’s how that reads to me?

Honestly? it was mainly to get the altitude joke in! The serious point was only that some posters had demanded a statement from Webber but then didn't like what they got.

i wasn't saying - and don't believe - that Webber giving an interview means he earns a free ride - that he then cannot be criticised for anything he says in it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Same article here without pay wall.... 

https://archive.ph/DWXnE

This quote made me smile ;

I get introduced, even at a wedding, ‘This is Stuart, he works for Norwich City’ or ‘He used to work for Liverpool.’ It’s like my identity is just around my job and I really dislike that.

If the man that high up appears to be embarrassed about who he works for, he's one of the few in a position to change it. Make it something to be proud of. Although it must be said, whenever I've been introduced anywhere, certainly socially, rather than professionally they don't introduce me a "this is xxxx he works for company, as where I work is irrelevant in that circumstance. 

I wonder if we were higher up the league, or won a trophy he would view it differently. 

Has any club won a trophy whilst he's been there? 

We won the championship Trophy twice with him at the helm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I dont think that states it at all. Theyve made an intrinsic link between risking your life and benefiting a charity but there's nothing that suggests it was an after thought.

There's plenty of legitimate parts to criticise him for in that article but making up that its all a vanity project and the charity is an irrelevant by product they don't care about is without evidence and unnecessary.

It does seem he was going to do it as a personal challenge before Zoe suggested charity. 
I like Stuart, but he is coming across as though he isn’t too bothered about the club.

Ridiculous egotist. Total non reading the room. 

The senior management needs a shake up and fresh, hungry faces brought in. Its all too comfortable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Nor will you until after relegation is confirmed - I am sure that this point has been made before!

Whilst the players and manager are trying to convince themselves that a miracle is possible you could hardly expect the Sporting Director to start talking about bad signings etc. I'm sure there will be the inquest that you are salivating for at the appropriate time, when the season is finished.

It's really not rocket science. 😟

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vlad666 said:

That’s a huge problem. The fact the owners begged him to stay, after he said he won’t give 100%, tells you everything you need to know. They get too personal with staff and let it effect their decision making. 

Hamilton, Worthington and Gunn immediately spring to mind.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Some very good points from Bethnal YandG

XRNVoLsk_normal.jpg

Stuart Webber has always had a strong David Brent/Alan Partridge vibe. I think it is just overlooked when things are going well. If he was saying these things last season no one gives a ****.
It’s easy to judge Webber purely on recruitment, but that is one aspect of his job (and probably not even the largest part as the Head of Recruitment will lead on, well, recruitment). When looking at where Norwich are now, compared to when he came in, is a stake contrast.

24 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Hamilton, Worthington and Gunn immediately spring to mind.

🤣

Ok, now that has to be a joke? Gunn? Sacked after one game? Hamilton, who lasted what? A season at most?

Worthington? In all fairness, I very much doubt we'd have gone to league one had he stayed. The two managers that followed in Grant and Roeder were the absolute worst I have ever seen at Norwich in 35 yrs of supporting them. Neither really left any sort of legacy really. Grant perhaps Chris Martin, Roeder with Hoolahan. But at what cost to the rest of the side? To our long-term?

36 minutes ago, Badger said:

Nor will you until after relegation is confirmed - I am sure that this point has been made before!

Whilst the players and manager are trying to convince themselves that a miracle is possible you could hardly expect the Sporting Director to start talking about bad signings etc. I'm sure there will be the inquest that you are salivating for at the appropriate time, when the season is finished.

It's really not rocket science. 😟

This.

It is literally embarrassing and, frankly, pathetic that people have been demanding this interview since Christmas.

The same people would be in uproar if he had completed said interview, written off the squad we have and then watched as demoralised players and an angry, frustrated manager trudged out unable to pick themselves up off the floor for the rest of the season. Especially when we have signed some young players who may yet adapt to the English game and be important players for us. 

Last thing you need is your Sporting Director casting further doubt on players who may well be struggling with confidence, to overcome the large fees attached to them by others, for your head coach to have his job undermined by someone higher up essentially stating the players he is working with aren't good enough.

It's absolutely diabolical to demand that.

What is more, we know that Webber will reflect on the season at the best possible time, when it's over. Look at Lees-Melou for example, he is looking a lot like a decent player now. He's had time to settle in and adapt. People wanted Webber to say these players are all crap... when it is increasingly looking like the main issue with the bulk of the signings was that they weren't ready and unable to adapt fast enough to what we needed, not that they are not good enough.

There is no doubt you will get your interview after the season has come to it's conclusion, not before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indy said:

Not many employers would allow you the time and lack of focus to do your job for an Everest climb, especially probably the most important position at this club. Most companies would expect you to take a break or leave to do such a thing! Lastly it’s been an utterly poor season and the pressure should be on him to focus on an important championship season coming up.

He’s obviously got his focus on his personal goals and as a fan of Norwich I would rather he took himself out of the club to focus on this and allow NA to take control as he can give full focus to the needs of the job!

First of all, employers have absolutely no right to determine what you do in your own time. They can challenge your performance and professionalism if it is impacting upon your job, and go down that route if needs be. However, it's clearly in his time, so the rest - we simply don't know.

As for taking a break or leave - how do we know that isn't the case? It's one hell of an assumption... 

Also, one thing seemingly not picked up on is that he plans to be in South America in June. Coincidence or taking advantage of being there for work to take a couple of days leave and go climb a mountain etc?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Equally, why do people think he should only give an interview when and where they demand it and only to say the things they want to hear?

Strangely he is the one with an egotistical attitude problem yet people are happily mimicking Trump at this point. 

16 minutes ago, chicken said:

🤣

Ok, now that has to be a joke? Gunn? Sacked after one game? Hamilton, who lasted what? A season at most?

Worthington? In all fairness, I very much doubt we'd have gone to league one had he stayed. The two managers that followed in Grant and Roeder were the absolute worst I have ever seen at Norwich in 35 yrs of supporting them. Neither really left any sort of legacy really. Grant perhaps Chris Martin, Roeder with Hoolahan. But at what cost to the rest of the side? To our long-term?

It took McNally to come in and sack Gunn as he was appointed full time over the summer following relegation to League One by D&M when he had been temporary manager. It took everyone by surprise that he was given the gig in the first place by the owners and smacked of jobs for the boys.

As for Hamilton his closeness to D&M brought about Roich leaving his job. Results did for Hamilton in the end.

Worthington's departure still sits uncomfortably with Delia as he was and still is a close personal friend.

I am sure you will disagree but i am now off to the game today and don't wish to drag this Webberfest off topic.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1