vlad666

Webber interview with the times

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…

Vinny,Β  I know its hard but women are allowed to be more successful than you

First time it’s been hard for β€œBig” Vince for a while I suspect.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Β 

Ma****er knows sweet FA - He's always been desperate to be on the inside but he's a rumour-mongering hack and the power players at the club see through himΒ 

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

Clearly you didn’t read it.

Β 

IT. IS. NOT. HIS. JOB. TO. SATISFY. THE. FANS.Β 
Β 

His job is to ensure the best long-term interests of the club. Supporters like yourself who are unable to see beyond the end of their noses,Β want β€œsuccess” and want it now appear not to realise that sometimes short-term results don’t align with the long-term.

Β 

If the majority shareholders were serious about EPL football, Webber would be sacked. However, they are not.Β 

Β 

These things are bound to happen when a club is under pressure. Supporters get emotional and get upset with players first, coaches second and officials third.

And vice versa, players wave and walk off slowly when the going is good but hide when times are tough. Whereas the coach has to sit and hear all the spectrum of displeasure from booing to being insulted.

And of course, directors et al come in for stick a lot more than before because they have a greater celebrity. But of course they don't have to cave in as they hold the reins. They make the decisions. But if the bad decisions mount up, the stars align before the perfect storm, then humility and understanding are the order of the day not confrontation.

On 23/04/2022 at 10:33, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

I took it to mean he was only giving 90% in his job role, not his whole existence on the planet. If he gave 100% of all he had to his job, when would he have time to go to the toilet?

OTBC

You can take a dump at work - try it, you'll like it. Cuts onΒ toilet paper costs too so win win

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

You can take a dump at work - try it, you'll like it. Cuts onΒ toilet paper costs too so win win

I do TGMD! I never used to but one time when I did, I found it strangely therapeutic.

I deliberatelyΒ don't splash one outΒ in the morning until I get to work and then unleash my load like some kind of demonic horror.

I pity the poor fool who uses the toilet after me.

OTBC

• Haha 1

On 23/04/2022 at 13:35, Rock The Boat said:

I used to ask my staff a simple question: "Who pays your salaries?"

They looked at me quizzically: "HR?", "FinanceΒ department?", "CEO?" were some of the typical replies I got.

"No, you are all wrong. It is our customers that pay our salaries. If they don't buy our products, we have no job and no salary. Remember this"

Ultimately, Webber is accountable to the fans whether they are season ticket holders, restaurant goers or merchandise purchasers. And yes, if you are in the top job, you do have to devote yourself because you have ultimate responsibility to all your employees and their families. 90% is not enough. That's why people in the top job are so well paid.

Β 

Not strictly true though is it these days? In the past a clubs income came from bums on seats in the stadium, and often sponsorship which derived from bums on seats.

These days, in the Prem anyway, revenue mainly comes from TV money and being part of the brand. If you are in the Premier League it doesnt matter really if noone cares about your team, or if noone comes to watch you. All that matters is that you are part of the club (Prem) and that you get a share of the TV pie. That noone is interested in watching you is irrelevant, because they'll tune in to watch your opposition take you to the cleaners.

So 'the customer' has become less important and more taken for granted in this industry. Less so further down the pyramid of course.

Not to say gate receipts arent an important revenue stream, as Covid showed, but its no longer the main revenue stream, and as such, what the fans think is of less importance. Hence why Webber can shrug/laugh off what they think.

10 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What part of 11th biggest spenders in Europe don't you understand.

The problem is he tried to sign an entire team rather than 2Β or 3Β players of real quality.

The problem is he was challenged with having to sign half a squad and we couldn't afford to focus on 2 or 3 players of "real" quality.
Β 

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

The problem is he was challenged with having to sign half a squad and we couldn't afford to focus on 2 or 3 players of "real" quality.
Β 

The mantra we were told was β€˜quality over quantity’ and we signed 9 players. For me that was always too many, and it included too many that haven’t really come off this season (butΒ mightΒ in future). Β We’d have done better focusing on the here and now for the PL season.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The mantra we were told was β€˜quality over quantity’ and we signed 9 players. For me that was always too many, and it included too many that haven’t really come off this season (butΒ mightΒ in future). Β We’d have done better focusing on the here and now for the PL season.

I don't disagree. However, 9 players is a bit disingenuous isn't it?

We had already committed to sign two of those who were on loan to us last season. So in reality, we signed 7 players. If what was said is to be believed, Tzolis wasn't expected to be a regular this season. Though we may never know, I suspect that he was to be the medium term replacement for Cantwell.

Three players on loan in Kabak, Normann and Gilmour.

So from 9 we are down to 4 that were permanent and new last summer. Sargent, Rashica, Lees-Melou and Tzolis.Β 

I don't disagree. However, 9 players is a bit disingenuous isn't it?

We had already committed to sign two of those who were on loan to us last season. So in reality, we signed 7 players. If what was said is to be believed, Tzolis wasn't expected to be a regular this season. Though we may never know, I suspect that he was to be the medium term replacement for Cantwell.

Three players on loan in Kabak, Normann and Gilmour.

So from 9 we are down to 4 that were permanent and new last summer. Sargent, Rashica, Lees-Melou and Tzolis.Β 

I think it was actually 9 + those 2, so 11 incoming.

Tsoliz, Rashica, Sargent, Gunn, Kabak, Lees-Melou, Normann, Williams, Gilmour

That's 9.

Take your point about some being loans (although you've forgotten Gunn from your perms), although I do wonder whether we'd have done any worse with Timm Klose in the squad over Kabak who has looked really poor, and we knew Normann had a terrible injury record so signing a spare winger in Tsoliz and failing to land a defensive midfielder on a permanent is a really big f*ck up in my opinion.

• Like 1

TvB is right (and thanks for listingΒ themπŸ™‚), itΒ was indeed 9 + the two we were committed to; those were fair enough so I didn’t include them.

The problem,Β of course, was not being ableΒ to replace Skipp or Emi, we didn’t even come remotely close.

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I think it was actually 9 + those 2, so 11 incoming.

Tsoliz, Rashica, Sargent, Gunn, Kabak, Lees-Melou, Normann, Williams, Gilmour

That's 9.

Take your point about some being loans (although you've forgotten Gunn from your perms), although I do wonder whether we'd have done any worse with Timm Klose in the squad over Kabak who has looked really poor, and we knew Normann had a terrible injury record so signing a spare winger in Tsoliz and failing to land a defensive midfielder on a permanent is a really big f*ck up in my opinion.

Yeah, agreed, whoopsie on my part.

Despite what some say, I can see us not having Krul next season. Mainly due to the timing of the World Cup. It may well be he needs to be playing top level football to keep his place in the Netherlands squad. We also couldn't go into a Premier League season with McGovern as 2nd choice. Gunn for me was an essential buy. He's done very well when deputising as well. And going forward, he'll inherit the starting position sooner or later.

Klose Vs Kabak... the latter having not made much of an impact doesn't really make a good argument for Klose. Klose is just too slow and rarely looked like the Β£8m+ we paid for him. If Omobamidele had stayed fit, this probably wouldn't even be a discussion. Kabak has shown glimpses, but we need consistency. At 21, he's still incredibly young for a CB. Probably too young for us to gamble on. Looking at it objectively, we probably hoped that he had already had his introduction to premier league football with Liverpool, but it would appear not enough of one.

I think the mess up was really with Normann and Gilmour. If either of those had lived up to the fanfare they arrived with, we may have had a season on our hands. That neither have contributed more than McLean, Lees-Melou and Sorensen says it all really for me. Again, they have quality, many were excited by their signings, they've not delivered. Farke? Smith? Other coaches?

As you say, the difficulty is that unlike Lees-Melou or Tzolis, we didn't already have those options in the squad before last summer. Tettey was past it, Skipp returning to Spurs... if Sorensen wasn't deemed "it" and Rupp isn't really a DM... why just one player? Why Gilmour at all?Β 

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

Yeah, agreed, whoopsie on my part.

Despite what some say, I can see us not having Krul next season. Mainly due to the timing of the World Cup. It may well be he needs to be playing top level football to keep his place in the Netherlands squad. We also couldn't go into a Premier League season with McGovern as 2nd choice. Gunn for me was an essential buy. He's done very well when deputising as well. And going forward, he'll inherit the starting position sooner or later.

Klose Vs Kabak... the latter having not made much of an impact doesn't really make a good argument for Klose. Klose is just too slow and rarely looked like the Β£8m+ we paid for him. If Omobamidele had stayed fit, this probably wouldn't even be a discussion. Kabak has shown glimpses, but we need consistency. At 21, he's still incredibly young for a CB. Probably too young for us to gamble on. Looking at it objectively, we probably hoped that he had already had his introduction to premier league football with Liverpool, but it would appear not enough of one.

I think the mess up was really with Normann and Gilmour. If either of those had lived up to the fanfare they arrived with, we may have had a season on our hands. That neither have contributed more than McLean, Lees-Melou and Sorensen says it all really for me. Again, they have quality, many were excited by their signings, they've not delivered. Farke? Smith? Other coaches?

As you say, the difficulty is that unlike Lees-Melou or Tzolis, we didn't already have those options in the squad before last summer. Tettey was past it, Skipp returning to Spurs... if Sorensen wasn't deemed "it" and Rupp isn't really a DM... why just one player? Why Gilmour at all?Β 

Why not open a tin of salmon, and have a break from here for an hour too. It is Sunday after all!!Β 

6 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

The problem,Β of course, was not being ableΒ to replace Skipp or Emi, we didn’t even come remotely close.

So there is an interesting caveat to this.

It sort of has two approaches to it though. If you feel the side Buendia played in was better in 2019-20 than the side Rashica is playing in, it does make even more interesting considering.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/24128/Milot-Rashica/stats

If you compare that to Buendia's 19-20 season
https://www.premierleague.com/players/26408/Emiliano-BuendΓ­a/stats?co=1&se=274

It suggest that Rashica has the potential to be a more important player. The other consideration is this is his first season of English football, Buendia was in his 2nd by that point. So the argument becomes needing a "now" replacement for Buendia. Which then throws up the question of there being a player with that ability already proven in the English game that could replace Buendia without a period required for adapting, because that's what we're saying. At which point what would that look like in cost? I suspect we'd be looking at an older player on his way down or a player in the last year of their contract from the Championship.

Β 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Why not open a tin of salmon, and have a break from here for an hour too. It is Sunday after all!!Β 

Not sure I get that reference. Though, it's a bit hypocritical of the serial troll to suggest taking a break.

Even TVB has shown he is a decent human, perhaps you could take a leaf out of his book and not stalk people about random threads dropping their name in the hope of triggering them and actually offer something constructive to a thread for once?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

Not sure I get that reference. Though, it's a bit hypocritical of the serial troll to suggest taking a break.

Even TVB has shown he is a decent human, perhaps you could take a leaf out of his book and not stalk people about random threads dropping their name in the hope of triggering them and actually offer something constructive to a thread for once?

I could do but I won’t.Β Β Don’t get precious Chicken, you’ve dished it out on a personal and pompous level so it’s only fair to give you some back.Β 

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Clearly you didn’t read it.

Β 

IT. IS. NOT. HIS. JOB. TO. SATISFY. THE. FANS.Β 
Β 

His job is to ensure the best long-term interests of the club. Supporters like yourself who are unable to see beyond the end of their noses,Β want β€œsuccess” and want it now appear not to realise that sometimes short-term results don’t align with the long-term.

Β 

β€œNot his job to satisfy the fans” eh. His transfer strategy certainly brought β€œsuccess” in the EPL,Β Β didn’t it. It’s idiots like you my man who stick behind people like Webber that is the problem, not my posts, Β going on what I’ve read on here about the man!Β 

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I could do but I won’t.Β Β Don’t get precious Chicken, you’ve dished it out on a personal and pompous level so it’s only fair to give you some back.Β 

Not precious at all darling. Dished it out have I? Hah. Ok then. Sure makes you sound like your the one getting too precious.

So I was right you were hypocritical, which is fine I guess. At least you don't deny it.

So I'll say it again, would be nice to see you actually offer something constructive to a thread. You possibly do, but it seems incredibly rare.

1 minute ago, City 2nd said:

β€œNot his job to satisfy the fans” eh. His transfer strategy certainly brought β€œsuccess” in the EPL,Β Β didn’t it. It’s idiots like you my man who stick behind people like Webber that is the problem, not my posts, Β going on what I’ve read on here about the man!Β 

It has in many ways yes. We have youngsters coming through the academy capable of playing premier league football.

I also wouldn't rely on anything you read on here to make a sound judgement - that goes for me too. It's a forum of opinions, some people form opinions on a solid foundation, others don't. Some solid foundations turn out to be less solid than first believed. Whatever you do though, don't rely on this place as being a good source of information or even a reliable barometer of the general feeling of the fans.

A couple of weeks ago, lots of noise was being made about Pukki not being up to it anymore and should be shown the door. It still could happen... but I remain to be convinced it was an opinion shared by any large majority, if one at all.

Well if it is going to end here for Webber in this fashion, it's been a total disaster for him and any future employment in football at a reasonably high level.

Really didn't have to end like this if he had communicated his intentions to do this Mt Everest thing better and been more conciliatory with the fans. You never take on the fans in football because there will only ever been one winner, even if you are in the right.

Once again the owners and BOD have shown extreme weakness by allowing this shambles to happen.

• Like 2

Just now, chicken said:

Not precious at all darling. Dished it out have I? Hah. Ok then. Sure makes you sound like your the one getting too precious.

So I was right you were hypocritical, which is fine I guess. At least you don't deny it.

So I'll say it again, would be nice to see you actually offer something constructive to a thread. You possibly do, but it seems incredibly rare.

Self awareness is amazing isn’t it? I’m well aware of my shortcomings and naughty moments. You, well when you’ve dislodged your head from upΒ your own orifice I hope you’ll let me know.Β 

2 hours ago, komakino said:

If the majority shareholders were serious about EPL football, Webber would be sacked. However, they are not.Β 

Β 

That’s not even whataboutery. Did you mean to reply to me?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Self awareness is amazing isn’t it? I’m well aware of my shortcomings and naughty moments. You, well when you’ve dislodged your head from upΒ your own orifice I hope you’ll let me know.Β 

Hilarious. Your hypocrisy continues.Β 

Your Match Day threads are still the best. Now do a bedtime essay before midnight please.Β 

17 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

I’m not sticking behind Webber, I’m merely pointing out the flaws in the arguments of people who are criticising him him unfairly.
Β 

Yes, there are lots of things that haven’t gone well this season, and as the man ultimately responsible (ignoring the question of the board’s culpability for now), he does carry the can. The wisdom of saying what he said, evenΒ giving the interview, and reacting the way he did yesterday are all questionable.Β 
Β 

However, the nonsense about β€œ100%” is utterly irrelevant. IMHO, and I would bet on dispassionate observers agreeing, we are vastly overperforming compared to our genuine peers. That has to be down largely to Webber and his work here. Maybe he’s become stale and maybe he should now move on, but that’s not the arguments I’m hearing against him, I’m just seeing unhappy supporters flailing out at the nearest easy target.

13 minutes ago, chicken said:

Just ignore him mate, the only person who thinks he’s funny is himself.

19 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I’m not sticking behind Webber, I’m merely pointing out the flaws in the arguments of people who are criticising him him unfairly.
Β 

Yes, there are lots of things that haven’t gone well this season, and as the man ultimately responsible (ignoring the question of the board’s culpability for now), he does carry the can. The wisdom of saying what he said, evenΒ giving the interview, and reacting the way he did yesterday are all questionable.Β 
Β 

However, the nonsense about β€œ100%” is utterly irrelevant. IMHO, and I would bet on dispassionate observers agreeing, we are vastly overperforming compared to our genuine peers. That has to be down largely to Webber and his work here. Maybe he’s become stale and maybe he should now move on, but that’s not the arguments I’m hearing against him, I’m just seeing unhappy supporters flailing out at the nearest easy target.

He basically said he’s stayed but he’s not as committed as he was before as his main goal is Everest. If we and he were still performing well there would be some grumbles but he could probably ride it out. As things stand, the timing was terrible and his nature is such that I suspect he will just dig his heels in and make it worse. Once again though it all flows from the top and weak/non existent leadership. The Webbers are essentially running all aspects of the club, long term staff are bailing out and there doesn’t appear to be anyone senior enough left to reign them in.Β 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

First time it’s been hard for β€œBig” Vince for a while I suspect.

I bet you love Knock, Knock jokes.Β