Sign in to follow this  
Thumbbass

A referee of 2 halves

Michael Oliver's performance in the first half was, from what I could see, pretty atrocious. He bought almost every single Burnley dive and we seemed to get nothing. I've not watched anything back. I was surprised we didn't give a penalty away tbh, it felt like one of those halves.

After a pretty rousing stadium chorus of 'youre not fit to referee' and 'you don't know what you're doing' he must have been aware of our overall review of his decision making. 

Second half and he actually started to ignore some of the Burnley dives and we got a few decisions.

Does he go in at half time and review those key moments, realise he got them wrong and that he's being hoodwinked? I'm genuinely interested if that actually happens.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Michael Oliver's performance in the first half was, from what I could see, pretty atrocious. He bought almost every single Burnley dive and we seemed to get nothing. I've not watched anything back. I was surprised we didn't give a penalty away tbh, it felt like one of those halves.

After a pretty rousing stadium chorus of 'youre not fit to referee' and 'you don't know what you're doing' he must have been aware of our overall review of his decision making. 

Second half and he actually started to ignore some of the Burnley dives and we got a few decisions.

Does he go in at half time and review those key moments, realise he got them wrong and that he's being hoodwinked? I'm genuinely interested if that actually happens.

These refs get the chants every week at every game up and down the country , do they care or take any conscious notice … NO water off a ducks back !

I totally disagree. I thought he was excellent throughout. We made a number of very soft fouls which were almost all deservedly penalised. Burnley were physical but largely stayed on the legal side of the grey area. The fans got on his back but he stayed professional. His call on the free kick just outside the box was bang on.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I totally disagree. I thought he was excellent throughout. We made a number of very soft fouls which were almost all deservedly penalised. Burnley were physical but largely stayed on the legal side of the grey area. The fans got on his back but he stayed professional. His call on the free kick just outside the box was bang on.

I cannot agree with you there Petriix. Burnley have studied Manure's manual on the Dark Arts of buying freekicks and getting away with fouls. At one point Dowell was barged off the pitch as the ball went out for a Burnley throw - I don't know why refs allow that as with a small ground like ours that is dangerous play.

I didn't realise it was Michael Oliver - I thought it was a poor performance from him and highlights why the English game is in such trouble.

He’s the best ref in the country these days in my view. Excellent not being fooled by that Burnley dive at the end. 

Baffles me how he's considered one of, if not the best referee in the PL. Any analysis of his performances highlights inconsistency and some real clangers over the years.

Today it was the inconsistency that was the issue. If he's going to give the soft fouls then fair enough but he needs to remember there's two teams on the pitch. There were niggly fouls on both sides but only one team was getting them first half.

He definitely made a decision, subconscious or not, to readdress the balance because it was notable (and Dyche certainly made his feelings felt) that we got the decisions in the second half. 

Bizarre refereeing performance

Edited by Fiery Zac
  • Like 1

Much prefer those that leave the games to flow as much as possible, which Oliver could have done today. Scott and Taylors games this week, whilst far from perfect, allowed football to be a contact sport and gave the viewers a much more entertaining experience, which, after all is what football is all about.

His performance today as a referee wasn't particularly memorable and that's all I want in a ref. 

No silly dramas or taking centre stage. Mostly got it right. 

25 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

His performance today as a referee wasn't particularly memorable and that's all I want in a ref. 

No silly dramas or taking centre stage. Mostly got it right. 

Hmm. I felt like there were definitely opportunities wrongly handed to Burnley on the edge of our area that they wasted. It could have been a different story.

But, I haven't watched it back. It did feel like Oliver came out in the second half and we were getting the decisions Burnley were getting in the first.

My only complaint was that he didn't book a player for a ridiculous dive in front of the Barclay. But you rarely see anyone booked for it which is perhaps why players keep doing it 

• Like 1

Completely agree with the OP. Absolutely appalling first half, operated a contrasting opinion on what was a foul depending on which team had been fouled, conned at least 3 times by embarrassing dives by Cornet. One of the most naive and inept 45 minutes for a long time. Mercifully we did a reasonable job keeping them out of our box else he'd have gleefully blown for a pen.

Second half he was completely different, like he realised Burnley had been mugging him off all half. Reckon someone had a word with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Completely agree with the OP. Absolutely appalling first half, operated a contrasting opinion on what was a foul depending on which team had been fouled, conned at least 3 times by embarrassing dives by Cornet. One of the most naive and inept 45 minutes for a long time. Mercifully we did a reasonable job keeping them out of our box else he'd have gleefully blown for a pen.

Second half he was completely different, like he realised Burnley had been mugging him off all half. Reckon someone had a word with him.

This is it though, all of the fouls we committed involved contact with legs; often very minor contact. The 'fouls' that weren't given were all contact with the upper body or 'ball to hand' etc. All pretty marginal and nothing significant.

It's really pointless getting frustrated with the subjective calls. I thought we mostly committed intelligent fouls in safer areas anyway.

I thought he was poor in the first half, particularly towards the end. However, I watched a recording of the game on Sky again in the evening (yes, sad I know 😳) and have to admit that he was right with the decisions I moaned about at the time - they were mainly little pulls or tugs, that I couldn't see at the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I thought he was poor in the first half, particularly towards the end. However, I watched a recording of the game on Sky again in the evening (yes, sad I know 😳) and have to admit that he was right with the decisions I moaned about at the time - they were mainly little pulls or tugs, that I couldn't see at the time.

Individual situations have escaped my memory but the free kick in front of us at the River end looked a dive in real time. Very good position for a set piece which they squandered, like the other 4-5 they had. Cornet looked rubbish tbh, I was a bit worried about him before kick-off, his only talent was falling over, and missing sitters.

I don't think it was that he was poor, I think it just seemed Burnley were more physical than us and prepared to leave a foot in. The ridiculous free kick Burnley got when PLM was supposed to have fouled Swan Lake Cornetto summed up how I felt at the time.

But watching the ManC v Liverpool game and the soft yellow card for Fabinho when it was a red all day made me think Oliver wasn't too bad.

The real question is why Oliver was on the game ? Only the second time he has been on Norwich in the Prem in the 22 prem games he has been on .The first was the “high profile” game away to Arsenal - complete with media attention . At the time Arsenal were bottom without a win. 

So we then wait until April until we are deemed important enough to get Oliver . POGML knew that it was on TV and potentially more media coverage as a bottom of the table clash .

Oliver has been on Everton 4 times this year . 

Before you ask we have had Hooper 4 times this year out of the 12 prem games he has reffed . 

. Not good enough for Oliver but bad enough for games under the radar with Hooper . That sort of sums it all up . 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Individual situations have escaped my memory but the free kick in front of us at the River end looked a dive in real time. Very good position for a set piece which they squandered, like the other 4-5 they had. Cornet looked rubbish tbh, I was a bit worried about him before kick-off, his only talent was falling over, and missing sitters.

It was a dive, but he was also pulled a little as well, so it was also a foul. It's ridiculous but we all know that if you don't go down, you don't get the foul. I can't recall any where I thought that "you definitely got that wrong ref."

I think one or two of you are in for a rude awakening when you see the standard if EFL refs next season!

I thought Oliver was consistent to both teams, handled the head collision superbly well and got Pukki's penalty shout spot on.

Only saw the second half so can only comment on that. As far as I could see the few "mistakes" he made were marginal at best. Many who have reffed us this season would have sent PLM off in that half, so no complaints from me.

Edited by LaUnionCanary
Spell

I moan and rant about refs more than most. From my vantage point of watching on tv he got almost everything spot on and I barely noticed him which is a good sign. Guess it wasn't a big enough game for him to feel to need to get too involved in the action and make it all about him. Fans were singing 'can we play you every week' to Burnley, I was wishing Oliver would ref us like that every week because it was nice not to be boiling with frustration at an incompetent ref for once

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think one or two of you are in for a rude awakening when you see the standard if EFL refs next season!

I thought Oliver was consistent to both teams, handled the head collision superbly well and got Pukki's penalty shout spot on.

Regards Champs refs, might well be true, but you'd hope that we won't be competing with such fine margins.

I'm not going to rewatch the game so I'll take your word for it. No argument regarding the penalty, we knew that VAR would check anyway. It's the, some-you-win, some-you-lose decisions we did not appear to get 1st half. And it really could have cost us, a better team would have scored. Look forward to 6 points against them next year.

Oh and people on Sargent's back - I give you Wout Weghorst!

25 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

Oh and people on Sargent's back - I give you Wout Weghorst!

100%.

Anyone else noticed how Mike Oliver loks like hes Stuart Webbers brother .

Or can i just not see properly because of the aura of arrogance that surrounds them both .

7 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

100%.

Anyone else noticed how Mike Oliver loks like hes Stuart Webbers brother .

Or can i just not see properly because of the aura of arrogance that surrounds them both .

The A of A. How 💯 % . No need to go to specsavers. 👌👏

1 minute ago, Mengo said:

The A of A. How 💯 % . No need to go to specsavers. 👌👏

And they both bear a striking resemblance to Mr Bean. Weird. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

And they both bear a striking resemblance to Mr Bean. Weird. 

mr-bean-life-is-a-lie.gif

On the club's The City View vid watch for Ben Gibson in the tunnel on the way out for the second half pausing to put it in Oliver's face that the reason he had gone down was that he had taken a knee in his back. 

Edited by crispeduk