canarybubbles

Fans want Smith to stay.

4 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Not really sure I see how you’ve jumped from most fans wanting smith to stay to also claiming that they would even if we lose the next 9 games, but I agree that time will tell. If we do lose the final 9 games (we won’t) then the manner of those losses would matter slightly but would still not change the fact that many fans are rightly not jumping to a conclusion with smith using a squad he didn’t know very well. I assume you think smith having 2-3 decent games at the helm even in the extenuating circumstances is not enough to justify keeping him a bit longer, so I do find it interesting that you are so willing to fly the Cantwell flag when he has had fewer than 2-3 decent games this season. Why does Cantwell get all the time in the world but Smith gets half a season? Particularly as TC had years in the system and plenty of premier league games under his belt. I’m obviously not a fan of TC as a player, but he’s had longer to prove himself to me than Smith. Not saying smith will work out, but let’s give him a window and a season imo - then if we don’t see progress I’m with you 

Funny that people go on about Smith squad! Who do you think will go to fund such an undertaking? If Cantwell is so bad why did Smith want him in the summer? And why couldn’t he get more out of what we know is a good player there?

So who’s squad is this? Farke’s? I thought Webber and the scouts get players! Might be wrong!

I genuinely like Smith good guy, don’t rate Shakey as much as others and I also believe Webber has got an easy ride from our fans and owners for such a poor season. But I can’t see why people rate Smith so much! I believe the club are financially sound and when we get that way the board get complacent, it’s not until we get financial pressure that things change and we move forwards, McNally twelve years ago, Webber five years ago! Unfortunately it appears Webber has more focus on climbing mountains then sorting Norwich out!

4 hours ago, Indy said:

Come end of season after another 9 defeats it might be very different! Thoroughly nice guy and wish him all the success, but he’s certainly not changed things here for the better, even Cantwell who he tried to sign for Villa didn’t buy into his style!

Smith didn't pick him for the team, so more a case of Smith not buying into Cantwell I would have thought.

48 minutes ago, Indy said:

Funny that people go on about Smith squad! Who do you think will go to fund such an undertaking? If Cantwell is so bad why did Smith want him in the summer? And why couldn’t he get more out of what we know is a good player there?

So who’s squad is this? Farke’s? I thought Webber and the scouts get players! Might be wrong!

I genuinely like Smith good guy, don’t rate Shakey as much as others and I also believe Webber has got an easy ride from our fans and owners for such a poor season. But I can’t see why people rate Smith so much! I believe the club are financially sound and when we get that way the board get complacent, it’s not until we get financial pressure that things change and we move forwards, McNally twelve years ago, Webber five years ago! Unfortunately it appears Webber has more focus on climbing mountains then sorting Norwich out!

It’s not funny, it’s a squad assembled under the premise that it was for a different manager. He has changed the system, but it hasn’t worked and part of that is down to the personnel not being scouted and recruited for this system. Cantwell is bad because in spite of claims smith ‘possibly’ wanting him in the summer (didn’t buy him and Villa were happy to spend more than enough cash which could have got him, so you really have to question this) when he actually saw what he had he benched him and then quickly shipped him. I’m sure we’ve all looked at a soufflé and fancied some of it only to realise it’s a bit without substance and leaves you wanting and when you try to make one yourself from the raw ingredients, most of the time they’re a bit crap and don’t rise half as much as you’d like. 
I don’t rate Smith I just don’t not rate him either (yet). If you go on Smith’s career then he is well liked by most and basically adored by Villa fans. Enough for me to get a stab. There will be funds, not to rebuild some multi billion pound squad but to say we don’t buy players and sell some too is ridiculous. Look at every window with Webber, what’s more is that I fully expect early business to occur. 
I’d also suggest that to an extent our club like many is never really out of financial pressure, we manage it better some seasons more than others but it never goes away. Ultimately there aren’t that many candidates I can think of that I’d see as a Smith upgrade and that would come to us. 
Final point, imo it’s unfair to say Webber has more focus on climbing mountains, admittedly the tone and timing and audience of this ambition is off, but not sure it can be claimed he doesn’t care about norwich just yet. 

That’s me and yes I did compare Cantwell to a soufflé 

sweary 

Edited by SwearyCanary

Ok , I admit I was a devout Farke fan , celebrating the win at Brentford away with my sons  when the news came in - couldn’t believe it . But I realise that time has gone and treading water looking back only gives other clubs the chance to overtake.

I like  Dean Smith as a person , but as a manager for NCFC I am underwhelmed. I absolutely get it that he’s had no chance to do anything about the squad at his disposal . However I don’t think he’s found any way to get more out of them than Farke , in fact in my opinion less. They’re just no way near good enough.  I also don’t feel he’s made any real effort to get fans on board . I was away at Watford , really amazing support,  we just got a brief wave .I wouldn’t mind so much but his love for Villa is freely spoken of . Are we second best in his eyes ? I felt Farke made a massive effort with us  , so far I’m feeling nothing of this with Smith . And yes … it does make a difference ! 
I guess he’s a safe pair of hands in the Championship and will be backed . I’ll get behind him , I just worry a safe bet may not be enough . Farke  was a maverick appointment and one hell of a gamble but achieved truly amazing things in the Championship. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

Ok , I admit I was a devout Farke fan , celebrating the win at Brentford away with my sons  when the news came in - couldn’t believe it . But I realise that time has gone and treading water looking back only gives other clubs the chance to overtake.

I like  Dean Smith as a person , but as a manager for NCFC I am underwhelmed. I absolutely get it that he’s had no chance to do anything about the squad at his disposal . However I don’t think he’s found any way to get more out of them than Farke , in fact in my opinion less. They’re just no way near good enough.  I also don’t feel he’s made any real effort to get fans on board . I was away at Watford , really amazing support,  we just got a brief wave .I wouldn’t mind so much but his love for Villa is freely spoken of . Are we second best in his eyes ? I felt Farke made a massive effort with us  , so far I’m feeling nothing of this with Smith . And yes … it does make a difference ! 
I guess he’s a safe pair of hands in the Championship and will be backed . I’ll get behind him , I just worry a safe bet may not be enough . Farke  was a maverick appointment and one hell of a gamble but achieved truly amazing things in the Championship. 

The moment it was decided Farke should be sacked he should have been told within hours. That picture at Brentford away (when the owners and board looked like we’d lost a cup final) painted a thousand words. We will never have a manager who loved our club so much and who deserved better treatment. 

There is a reality regardless of fans opinion that the chances of getting a better Manager duo than Dean Smith and Craig Shakespeare at Championship level is not going to happen - thus the only real move would be to 'take a risk.

I dont think Smith warrants us having to take that risk. He's got a track record of doing well at Championship level and playing decent football.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The notion of NCFC sacking Dean Smith (along with Craig Shakespeare) so soon is  quite absurd on many levels.

Firstly, and importantly for the club, it would probably cost a fortune to sack yet another manager and his team as it would mean paying them off. Without knowing the details of the contracts involved, it is, however,  a fair bet that doing this would impact the club's finances with such negativity that it would greatly threaten next season's budget. 

Secondly, the pair seem to have a more than decent reputation within the game, yet they will have been judged as not good enough for NCFC even though they inherited a squad considered by many to be inadequate for the level they were pitched at. Dean Smith has not made one single signing of his own choosing. That they should be dismissed without the benefit of one window (the club kept the blinds down last time around) and before they have had a chance to prove themselves as a force for next season without one player of their own choosing would represent timing so ridiculous that it would be nearly on a level as the sacking of Chris Hughton.

The fact that hindsight, and may be a few other factors, suggest that sacking Daniel Farke was a bad decision should not reflect against the current management team, even though they have done little better. Silk purse and pig's ear springs to mind.

Neither have the pair had a fair wind. Crucial injuries and the impact of Covid at crucial times have clearly made a difficult task damn near impossible. 

Should next season be a disaster then perhaps there might be a case, but this scenario would surely suggest a level of decline, feared by some on here, that would need a bigger revolution at the club that should go further than just sacking a manager.  

I am fairly confident that we can once again bounce back under Dean Smith. Not 100% by any means, but no less confident than I would be were Farke to still be at the helm.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Lets turn into Watford and sack our managers every two months I'm sure this will fix things and everything will change and the current peformances are down to the manager and manager alone and nothing to do with the players

(.. and yes this is sarcasm)

Its not sarcasm if you point out that it's sarcasm, its the whole loint of sarcasm,.Doh.

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The moment it was decided Farke should be sacked he should have been told within hours. That picture at Brentford away (when the owners and board looked like we’d lost a cup final) painted a thousand words. We will never have a manager who loved our club so much and who deserved better treatment. 

He may or may not have loved our club more than any other manager, before or after, although how anyone could possibly know this is beyond me. The problem was, he had assembled a squad of players over a number of seasons, his players, his team, and was incapable of knowing how to get a tune out of them in the Prem, we were completely ineffective under him at this level. We all know we haven't got the riches of some other clubs, but he must have known from last time that these type of players just couldn't cut it. Both he and Webber didn't learn from last time, only people in the club know which of them ultimately chose which players to go for, but you would like to think that Farke should have been demanding that above all else Webber sign a decent CDM and tried and tested cover for Pukki.

Fact is both Dean and Daniel were totally let down, by those who sanctioned those awful summer signings.

Gone are the days when the manager had a say in signings

. I remember seeing George Graham sitting in the Directors box during a midweek game. Couple of weeks later it was clear why he was there, he signed Andy Linigan for Arsenal.

But the Director of football is still here, and grateful to be so, after all his talk of working abroad. Think his best sell by date has well and truly gone.

Dean has to be given a chance,  even if he took us to the so called promised land yet again…….WHATS THE POINT?  Most of us don’t even enjoy it.

Bearing in mind Smith has been here less than a season, 58% is hardly reassuring. Lose all our remaining games, which is highly likely, that figure will reduce even more. 

Smith has had an absolute dire season. Failed miserably at Villa after having spent millions, and now heading up NCFC, playing the worst football we've seen for many a season.

• Like 3

Smith inherited a squad who were already facing an uphill struggle, and since taking over has lost one of our most hopeful performers in Cantwell, and a potential season changing duo when Idah got injured.

Add to that whatever has been bubbling away with our most expensive summer signing (Tzoils) and he's got very little to work with.  At least Farke had hope up his sleeve, Smith has scraps.

So for me,  it's not even a case of having 'his' players, he hasn't got a complete squad to pick from - he has a compromised starting 11.   When he had two forwards we looked like we had an edge to us.

I think he and Shakey are a good pairing, and near impossible to judge their true ability here without at least having the pieces to build.  The football and lineups we're seeing are in direct relation to the players and cover available, and not necessarily representative of what and how they would like to deploy a team.

That said, I didn't find myself all that excited when he was appointed, and still don't feel much unity towards him despite feeling he's a really nice guy.  But, strangely, I do find unity with them as a duo.

Just feel a bit worn out emotionally with the club right now, I guess.

Edited by Google Bot
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

I've just done the poll in the PinkUn and it seems that about 58% want Smith to stay and think he will be a very good manager for us.

I'm in a minority, it seems. I hope I'm wrong.

The poll should be taken with extreme caution. All of these newspaper polls where people can chose whether or not to respond are unlikely to produce a representative sample. In this case, over 50% of the respondents report themselves as non season ticket holders. This doesn't mean that they don't care about Norwich but obviously the vast majority of NCFC fans that attend games do so as season ticket holders.

In other words, it is a heavily skewed sample. It is a bit of fun, but tells us little about what fans think.

It’s only opinion on this forum, reality is Webber won’t be sacked, Smith isn’t going to be sacked, we’ll go into the summer with a few players exiting, maybe one or two in, a couple loans, but to say this isn’t Smiths squad is wrong! This is his squad and he’s going to have to get as much out of them as Farke did last time in the championship! We’re not magically going to offload our entire squad and sign 25 players that Smith wants! We don’t have the money he had at Villa to get them up through the play offs and not many players are out of contract, so unless we can off load them he’s stuck pretty much with this squad!

Edited by Indy

41 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Smith inherited a squad who were already facing an uphill struggle, and since taking over has lost one of our most hopeful performers in Cantwell, and a potential season changing duo when Idah got injured.

Add to that whatever has been bubbling away with our most expensive summer signing (Tzoils) and he's got very little to work with.  At least Farke had hope up his sleeve, Smith has scraps.

So for me,  it's not even a case of having 'his' players, he hasn't got a complete squad to pick from - he has a compromised starting 11.   When he had two forwards we looked like we had an edge to us.

I think he and Shakey are a good pairing, and near impossible to judge their true ability here without at least having the pieces to build.  The football and lineups we're seeing are in direct relation to the players and cover available, and not necessarily representative of what and how they would like to deploy a team.

That said, I didn't find myself all that excited when he was appointed, and still don't feel much unity towards him despite feeling he's a really nice guy.  But, strangely, I do find unity with them as a duo.

I echo your sentiments at this moment in time. 😔

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

There is a reality regardless of fans opinion that the chances of getting a better Manager duo than Dean Smith and Craig Shakespeare at Championship level is not going to happen - thus the only real move would be to 'take a risk.

I dont think Smith warrants us having to take that risk. He's got a track record of doing well at Championship level and playing decent football.

With Brexit though I think Smith's the best we're going to get. Going abroad would mean someone with experience in managing in top leagues recently, and I struggle to see how they'd drop down to the Championship without a big budget or salary.

Before the Brentford away game we had 2 points from 10 games ( goalless draws against Burnley and Brighton ), and Smith brought some belief and fight back whilst working with what he had.

Idah getting injured before the Man City game and subsequently being out for the season killed the glimmer of hope we had left (and maybe Sorenson getting crocked in the Watford game). Those were two players who had really started to improve under Smith. Before Idah's injury we beat Everton, Watford and drew with Crystal Palace in successive games, and we haven't had a point since. 

19 hours ago, Indy said:

Come end of season after another 9 defeats it might be very different! Thoroughly nice guy and wish him all the success, but he’s certainly not changed things here for the better, even Cantwell who he tried to sign for Villa didn’t buy into his style!

What absolute ****. 

Smith has arrived and since then kept us within touching distance, which is a minor miracle with the squad he has inherited. 

What did you expect him to do? Change the whole culture of the club in days? Turn us into a champions League form side? 

Ralf Rangnick, Roy Hodgson and Frank Lampard are showing that changing the manager is not the universal cure to clubs which have systemic issues within them. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow

I'm insanely unexcited by Dean Smith. Not a bad CV, but what he did with Villa he did with big money. He doesnt seem to have any particular vision. I want Kjetil Knutsen in, just give him the keys to the club.

16 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’m available and cheap. 

If you are available and cheap perhaps yo  should look at your personal hygiene? 😃

2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

What absolute ****. 

Smith has arrived and since then kept us within touching distance, which is a minor miracle with the squad he has inherited. 

What did you expect him to do? Change the whole culture of the club in days? Turn us into a champions League form side? 

Ralf Rangnick, Roy Hodgson and Frank Lampard are showing that changing the manager is not the universal cure to clubs which have systemic issues within them. 

Well here’s the high horse brigade! Well your view here can be said to be a load of xxxx too! The crux you’re saying is that Smith was bought in with no chance of keeping us up! As this squad is utterly ****e! Webber and the scouts are the main culprits here for that! 
So why if we were never going to survive bother to waste money on sacking a two time championship winning manager for one who’s only got one promotion under his belt! 

Edited by Indy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Badger said:

If you are available and cheap perhaps yo  should look at your personal hygiene? 😃

Shower every day Badger, sometimes twice when it gets sticky. 

22 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The question was 'do you expect Dean Smith to remain', not 'do you want Dean Smith to remain'. 

I voted yes, because I can't see the club sacking him.

Good point. I thought the poll was oddly worded at times. 

I think it especially dodged the issue on this question. Why not a simple 'want to remain', 'not sure', 'want to leave'?

I see the PinkUn is now using their poll/survey as proof that fans 'support' Smith.

But as Wacky Waving points out, the question asks if we 'expect' Smith to stay rather than 'want' Smith to stay. Saying 'I expect it to rain tomorrow' is not the same as saying 'I want it to rain tomorrow'.

On 23/03/2022 at 17:28, Indy said:

Cantwell is hardly a stick to beat him with, he wasn’t buying in to the style before Farke was sacked and Smith joined.

1 hour ago, Rivvo said:

Cantwell is hardly a stick to beat him with, he wasn’t buying in to the style before Farke was sacked and Smith joined.

It’s not a stick it’s a point, Smith made big waves about getting Cantwell to Villa and this might well started the whole unsettling process here!

Finally Smith comes here and decides he’s not what is needed, surely a new manager who actually wanted him might have done things differently to Farke, if not then where’s the improvement? It’s certainly not on the pitch, the football is pretty bad at present.

Anyhow like I said Smith and Webber isn’t going anywhere so hopefully he can get our playing staff and style sorted out over the summer or it could be a long championship season.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2022 at 08:29, Capt. Pants said:

Bearing in mind Smith has been here less than a season, 58% is hardly reassuring. Lose all our remaining games, which is highly likely, that figure will reduce even more. 

Smith has had an absolute dire season. Failed miserably at Villa after having spent millions, and now heading up NCFC, playing the worst football we've seen for many a season.

I thought that the prevailing opinion was that if a manager did badly after spending many millions on players it was the Director of Football's fault because the players were rubbish?

3 hours ago, Badger said:

I thought that the prevailing opinion was that if a manager did badly after spending many millions on players it was the Director of Football's fault because the players were rubbish?

Sounds like Smith had a fair amount of input

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/meet-people-charge-aston-villas-21152840