Ouch- this chart from this morning’s papers makes clear how dismal our performance at this level has been under the current regime. Not competitive at all…can we finally climb out of the relegation zone for the first time in 53 matches?Or will Watford out muscle us as they usually do? This game is massive

936835B1-AE5D-4A84-8565-181294F6C8C4.jpeg

36 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Well this is a new angle. 🙄

To be fair, it's almost admirable now 😄

"Sh*t we won a game, FIND SOMETHING ONLINE THAT I CAN USE TO P*SS ALL OVER MY CLUB AGAIN"

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

That is the upper edge of the envelope for a top 26 club - so let's not go overboard with the self flagellation.

We should only be worried if we are permanently moored in the Championship or below.

The self funded club from a small regional city which plays in the biggest league in the world is how I like to look at it.

• Like 5

"A run going back to 2019"

Oh gosh, wait, I need to sit down...

Seriously - what a load of BS. No matter how many times you want to revisit that season, you really do have to suspend all realms of reality to suggest that it was shocking that we didn't stay up.

We spent less than £5m all season on transfers. Every other team in the PL spent at least that on a single player. We knew we had no money, we knew we were gambling on the quality of the loans and a couple of cheap signings. We knew it was unlikely. We had been told we wouldn't spend much.

No one was overly surprised though injuries and project restart certainly didn't help us.

Perhaps go back a bit further next time. Maybe 1997?

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

"Sh*t we won a game, FIND SOMETHING ONLINE THAT I CAN USE TO P*SS ALL OVER MY CLUB AGAIN"

His club - are you sure? I'm not. 🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

That is the upper edge of the envelope for a top 26 club - so let's not go overboard with the self flagellation.

We should only be worried if we are permanently moored in the Championship or below.

The self funded club from a small regional city which plays in the biggest league in the world is how I like to look at it.

You're not allowed to make this point though because apparently it buys into the "little old Norwich" mantra... Though it is perfectly true and comparatively speaking, Norwich does incredibly well when compared to other provincial sides.

Norwich has a population (urban) of around 210k, Norfolk has a population of close to 910k. Bristol, for example, has a population of over 465k. Sure, Bristol has two teams and if we imagine that the city is split down the middle they have a similar amount to Norwich with one. In some ways Plymouth is a good comparison, similar geographical location, population of 260k+. Perhaps somewhat boosted by being a Naval city.

There are teams that are somewhat comparable to Norwich or even smaller in terms of their immediate support area though. Burnley has a smaller population. Brighton is a bit larger with 290k+ people.

It is certainly a factor people forget and/or play down. Though it is also fair to say that compared to some of those teams, Norwich has, up until recent history, generally outperformed them and many other smaller city/town based clubs. 

• Like 1

You know you're in the **** when there's two instances where red dots (losses) brings you up a position in the table.

Wonder what another blue dot would do on the end.... hmm 🙂

10 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

You know you're in the **** when there's two instances where red dots (losses) brings you up a position in the table.

Wonder what another blue dot would do on the end.... hmm 🙂

And it shows how s h i T other teams in the league are when you can rise 2 places after a win, having lost the last 6!

17 minutes ago, Badger said:

His club - are you sure? I'm not. 🤔

So the realism that you bang on about is only for financial matters and doesn't apply to those that bring facts to the playing side of the club. Ok. Bit hypocritical wouldn't you say.

I am sure it's as much his club as yours 100%.

Why have they dug this out today though?  Because they sense we will win tonight and finally move out of the bottom 3?  Just saying ....

3 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Ouch- this chart from this morning’s papers makes clear how dismal our performance at this level has been under the current regime. Not competitive at all…can we finally climb out of the relegation zone for the first time in 53 matches?Or will Watford out muscle us as they usually do? This game is massive

936835B1-AE5D-4A84-8565-181294F6C8C4.jpeg

Now plot where Forest or Derby or Birmingham or Bolton or Blackburn or QPR or Boro or Stoke or Swansea or Cardiff or Reading or Ipswich are on that chart. They aren't on that chart because they haven't been able to achieve what we have which is successful successive promotions into this league. 

Success is relative and this club is one of the most successful for it's size and finances. All delivered under this 'regime' as you put it.

• Like 1

I like my team to be mentioned regularly in dispatches and being able to read game reports in the national press. I like my team getting air time where it matters, even on MotD. I like Norwich City games being more frequently televised and even shown abroad so that it becomes possible to build up worldwide recognition and a gradual following. I used to like walking into a bar in places like Singapore and seeing the yellow and green prominent on that big screen and being watched intently by ex-pat supporters, ex-pats and locals alike.  

I like seeing City pitted against the best teams about and the best players there are. The Manchester Uniteds and the Ronaldos, the Liverpools in their pomp.

I am comforted by regular full house at Carrow Road.

I like a squad full of internationals of varying levels and enjoy following their progress. 

I like the club having Premier League status and would want to see all possible efforts made to hang onto it.

After all, it's easily long lost and easily long forgotten with lower league anonimity.

2 hours ago, Bonzo said:

We’re supposed to be a top 17 club though, the top 26 mantra died over summer.

1 hour ago, Kenny Foggo said:

So the realism that you bang on about is only for financial matters and doesn't apply to those that bring facts to the playing side of the club. Ok. Bit hypocritical wouldn't you say.

I am sure it's as much his club as yours 100%.

No problem with the facts - although I am surprised that that the OP had only just realised?

I'm not sure that City is his club - you are certain, but you are rather susceptible to simplistic arguments imo. I'm sure that you don't value my opinion so won't worry about my being honest.👍

From the athletic;

Norwich’s public messaging since Webber’s arrival in 2017 has revolved around the goal of being a top-26 club in England: essentially acknowledging their previous Championship position and desire to at least claim a play-off berth at the end of each season.

What hasn’t been reported is that the aim changed earlier in the year — to becoming a top-17 club. It was a message that was circulated internally but never delivered to their supporters or the outside world. On reflection, it seems the club would have played out that decision differently ahead of this season if given the chance.

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

Why have they dug this out today though?  Because they sense we will win tonight and finally move out of the bottom 3?  Just saying ....

I rather think it is a preparation for a chance for the OP to tell us "I told you so", if we lose (as I suspect he wants).

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

From the athletic;

Norwich’s public messaging since Webber’s arrival in 2017 has revolved around the goal of being a top-26 club in England: essentially acknowledging their previous Championship position and desire to at least claim a play-off berth at the end of each season.

What hasn’t been reported is that the aim changed earlier in the year — to becoming a top-17 club. It was a message that was circulated internally but never delivered to their supporters or the outside world. On reflection, it seems the club would have played out that decision differently ahead of this season if given the chance.

Errr?

The ‘top 26’ mantra is finished with at Norwich City and has been replaced by full focus on Premier League survival, Stuart Webber has assured supporters. 

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/ncfc-chasing-the-top-17-epl-dream-8501226

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

You really are a little ray of sunshine aren't you DCB?

The overdue positivity after the Everton game must have really grated on you.

8 minutes ago, Badger said:

Errr?

The ‘top 26’ mantra is finished with at Norwich City and has been replaced by full focus on Premier League survival, Stuart Webber has assured supporters. 

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/ncfc-chasing-the-top-17-epl-dream-8501226

Errr what? Are we not in agreement here? The Athletic article I quoted is from the end of October last year, so before the one you just posted. I was just saying the whole top 26 thing is dead now, so it’s not an excuse for this season - if we go down it will be an underachievement. 

1 minute ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Errr what? Are we not in agreement here? The Athletic article I quoted is from the end of October last year, so before the one you just posted. I was just saying the whole top 26 thing is dead now, so it’s not an excuse for this season - if we go down it will be an underachievement. 

Apologies, if I misinterpreted what you wrote.