Sign in to follow this  
Big O

Watford

Apols if on another thread but I note Watford are signing a defensive midfielder for £4m - Edo Kayembe. Surely we could push the boat out for that type of signing? 

They signed Emmanual Dennis for £3.6 million! Shows whilst money helps you can buy quality without spending huge fees. He has scored the same amount of league goals as we have in the league this season and Dennis has five assists. 

Edited by Alex

3 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

This Tugboat Is the Smallest Ship in the Navy | US Navy Ships

Webber's January transfer window gun boat (minus any guns).

OTBC

Typical..No fire power.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hucks6 said:

We couldn’t afford the boat

We'd end up with Boaty McBoatface from Isthmian league.

A cheap defensive midfielder is better than no defensive midfielder. We could quite realistically only have to spend a couple of million in this area and end up with a better balanced midfield. 

How much do you think teams would be willing to pay for McLean/Rupp/Lees-Melou right now? Less than 2m without a doubt, I've said it before players like this are highly undervalued in more technical leagues across Europe so long as they're the Tettey type who doesn't come with much of a technical skillset. There is no reason not to upgrade this position in the squad this window and we should be able to do it without selling a player

• Like 1

Club moves quickly and proactively to strengthen to try and avoid relegation.

Meanwhile we “expect a quiet January”.

Couldn’t make it up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

A cheap defensive midfielder is better than no defensive midfielder. We could quite realistically only have to spend a couple of million in this area and end up with a better balanced midfield. 

How much do you think teams would be willing to pay for McLean/Rupp/Lees-Melou right now? Less than 2m without a doubt, I've said it before players like this are highly undervalued in more technical leagues across Europe so long as they're the Tettey type who doesn't come with much of a technical skillset. There is no reason not to upgrade this position in the squad this window and we should be able to do it without selling a player

Agree, what I’ve been suggesting too.   Just need that stability, someone who can cover the spaces, tackle, and protect the defence.    

There should have been a defensive midfielder lined up and ready to come in on 1st January. 

No doubt we will scrabble around and try and do something in the last couple of days of the month. 

8 hours ago, Alex said:

They signed Emmanual Dennis for £3.6 million! Shows whilst money helps you can buy quality without spending huge fees. He has scored the same amount of league goals as we have in the league this season and Dennis has five assists. 

What gets overlooked with numbers like this are the wages. Very often the transfer fee is low because wages are the problem. Charlie Austin went to Saints for £5m at a good age.

We have a wage structure - because of ownership model - that is much more restrictive than the transfer budget. 

Watford are away to Newcastle the week before they play us. They've also just released Sarr to AFCON so even if he doesn't play he will be away for when we play them.

Burnley have a tough old run of fixtures as well. I see Aaron Ramsey has turned them down 🤣

There are no margins for error we simply have to push the Boat out now. If we go down then we can sell what we can't afford to keep, but please Webber/BOD just give this a go.

Edited by Capt. Pants

The reality is our squad as a whole is not good enough to achieve PL survival. Even if we plug the goals we are conceding by signing a CDM or two, we're still absolutely pants at scoring them the other end of the pitch. Would be a different story if we were losing 4-3/3-2 every week but we aren't, we can't score to save ourselves

35 minutes ago, WD40 said:

What gets overlooked with numbers like this are the wages. Very often the transfer fee is low because wages are the problem. Charlie Austin went to Saints for £5m at a good age.

We have a wage structure - because of ownership model - that is much more restrictive than the transfer budget. 

Yes, unfit for purpose in this league and holding us back.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Seems Kayembe was only on around 3 to 5 thousand a week at his last club so I doubt Watford are giving him too massive an increase nor do I think he would have been outside our wage budget.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seems Kayembe was only on around 3 to 5 thousand a week at his last club so I doubt Watford are giving him too massive an increase nor do I think he would have been outside our wage budget.

Was responding to the comment about Dennis, I’m sure he’s on quite a bit despite low transfer fee. Maybe this Kayembe isn’t on much but he hasn’t done anything yet. 

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

So I have just had a quick look out of interest and apparently Dennis is on 25 thousand per week. Which is apparently less than Josh Sargent. 

Edited by Alex
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Alex said:

So I have just had a quick look out of interest and apparently Dennis is on 25 thousand per week. Which is apparently less than Josh Sargent. 

But, but, but….POTENTIAL!!! 😭

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Webber's January transfer window gun boat (minus any guns).

Let me be the first to say...we're gonna need a bigger boat. 🦈🤣

Apples 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Yes, unfit for purpose in this league and holding us back.

Totally agree , yet the forum users don’t seem to support Delia out for some peculiar reason . Happy to let the club flounder .

Southampton takeover in last few days shows there are buyers out there , but we as fans believe the rhetoric put out there by our owners 

• Like 1

I am certainly not a happy clapper and have been very upset with our transfer business. My best friend is a Watford fan so I have a very good knowledge of them as he does of us. As he admits they have made some terrible transfer moves themselves. Just look up Gray, Success and for this season Rose. The one thing I will say with them is if they see a problem they deal with it. They have a very good forward line and an ok midfield. Like us they have had injuries at the back and have started to sort it. Looks like 2 centre backs 1 left back and a DM incoming. Our problem after the summer signings is we need to fix every area of the pitch. Also on Dennis, he admits he was a big gamble. He had problems at other clubs but like us with Buendia sometimes you strike gold. 

21 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

I am certainly not a happy clapper and have been very upset with our transfer business. My best friend is a Watford fan so I have a very good knowledge of them as he does of us. As he admits they have made some terrible transfer moves themselves. Just look up Gray, Success and for this season Rose. The one thing I will say with them is if they see a problem they deal with it. They have a very good forward line and an ok midfield. Like us they have had injuries at the back and have started to sort it. Looks like 2 centre backs 1 left back and a DM incoming. Our problem after the summer signings is we need to fix every area of the pitch. Also on Dennis, he admits he was a big gamble. He had problems at other clubs but like us with Buendia sometimes you strike gold. 

Yes that is the most frustrating thing for me. When Watford think something isn't quite right they just take action and try and resolve it. They are scoring quite a few goals and creating plenty of chances but can't stop  conceding. So they sign a left back who is highly rated in France on the 1st of January and a centre back today and are now being liked to Vida and Nat Phillips. We will just sit there and get beat. Likewise I know Watford fans as I moved to North West London when I was 15. And you are right about their transfers, However,  in fairness Success was transferred from Granada when they had the same owners and Rose was a gamble on a free.  I imagine Watford had watched a fair bit of Dennis, to be fair.  Between them and Udinese they seem to have quite a good scouting network. Richarlison, Doucoure, Alexis Sanchez, Bruno Fernandes, Rodrigo De Paul to a name a few. 

Edited by Alex

Some or maybe all of the new signings might not work but you can't say they are not having a go. Us?  I still believe we should either sign 5 or 6 new players and go for it or sign no one at all and save the money for the next window. No point in signing 1 or 2 players as it won't make a difference. 

2 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

Some or maybe all of the new signings might not work but you can't say they are not having a go. Us?  I still believe we should either sign 5 or 6 new players and go for it or sign no one at all and save the money for the next window. No point in signing 1 or 2 players as it won't make a difference. 

Exactly, they may be crap and they will likely get relegated anyway but at least they will have a go. 

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

Edited by Alex
ong

16 hours ago, Canaries north said:

I actually disagree. If we signed a sh1t hot CDM and a goalscorer we would solve 90% of our issues. I'd rather that than 5 or 6 average or unproven players.