Sjb

It's Lampard!

Personally I think Frank will fit this club well, could do very well, but if he does keep us up he’ll jump at the first opportunity, that’s what irks me, Farke actually wanted to stay even when he had the chance to move onto bigger clubs.

I hope Frank will become enamoured with the club and actually buy long term into our club. But he’ll need a few seasons as any manager, if by some miracle he keeps us up brilliant, but no point axing him in the summer if things don’t improve much.

3 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I think the point is that many of us would only have sacked Farke if a genuinely better manager was available. We remained optimistic that the board, in having decided to push that button 10 games after giving Farke a 4 year contract and so quickly that they couldnt even let him leave the opposition's stadium, were of like mind and therefore had lined up a superior candidate.

To then find out they've done all this for Frank Lampard is a massive let down. This is a backwards step for me. Absolutely no reason to think that Lampard can keep the club in the division, get more out of the players than Farke, or indeed get us back up should we go down.

Cant really understand it myself.

If there was really no one else lined up, then Webber could have held fire on sacking Farke after the win at Brentford. He could have gone to the board and said, I know we were going to sack Daniel but 1) It's really bad optics to sack a manager after a win and 2) Perhaps this result is the beginning of something better.

That Webber continued with the sacking says to me that he'd given a commitment to the next guy and couldn't backtrack. It was only when they got down to the serious negotiations that Knutsen made it clear he would not leave until the Norwegian season was over.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

What if he has no potential? Why do you assume he will get better? What if he is just not a very good manager? There is no reason at all to believe he will get better. People are blinded by the fact they were a good player.

Frank could prove to be a top manager, or he might fail with us and decide management isnt for him - plenty of examples of that.

Just because he is young, walked into two high profile jobs off the back of his playing career, doesnt mean he is on an upward trajectory.

Farke won two championship titles. Lampard has achieved diddly squat so far.

For the situation we are in it is absolute madness to take a total punt on this guy in the hope that he'll get better. I really thought the board had a better plan than this. Didnt they say the candidate was an experienced manager? We needed a manager with some kind of proven track record like Roy Hodgson. We've got Paul Dalglish.

Well that’s the judgement Webber has made.

When he bought Tzolis he made the same judgement. When Farke put Aarons into the team he made the same judgement. Webber might be wrong but he’s made the call on what he’s seen and knows. It’s his job to get it right. Let’s hope he’s made the correct call.

30 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

If there was really no one else lined up, then Webber could have held fire on sacking Farke after the win at Brentford. He could have gone to the board and said, I know we were going to sack Daniel but 1) It's really bad optics to sack a manager after a win and 2) Perhaps this result is the beginning of something better.

That Webber continued with the sacking says to me that he'd given a commitment to the next guy and couldn't backtrack. It was only when they got down to the serious negotiations that Knutsen made it clear he would not leave until the Norwegian season was over.

^This. Total ****-up imo. From start to finish.

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

9 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

When he bought Tzolis he made the same judgement. When Farke put Aarons into the team he made the same judgement. Webber might be wrong but he’s made the call on what he’s seen and knows. It’s his job to get it right. Let’s hope he’s made the correct call.

You cant compare blooding a youngster with installing a new manager with minimal experience. Not when they are charged with a task no manager has successfully achieved in the PL before, or if the remit includes regaining promotion replacing a manager who is twice proven in this task.

If you need a striker to score 20 goals a season, you go for a striker who has been consistently prolific at the level you are competing at. You dont promote a semi-prolific youth player in the hope that he'll get better.

14 minutes ago, Hairy Canary said:

He hasnt. Im saying it now. Frank will not keep us up. And even if he wins promotion this is the bare minimum that would be expected given he has replaced a twice championship winning manager. This is not progress.

3 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

He hasnt. Im saying it now. Frank will not keep us up. And even if he wins promotion this is the bare minimum that would be expected given he has replaced a twice championship winning manager. This is not progress.

Forgive me if I don’t value your assessment as much as Webbers. Of course you could be right and I have my own misgivings but we have to go with his judgement otherwise what’s the point of employing him for meggabucks? 

If Lampard is chosen one this obviously is not because him so great so far as a manager.

Webber know that if we have any chance to stay up next 4 5 games is key for that.

Lampard for sure will bring excitement on players and fans and kick confidence sky high at least temporary.

If this mean max pts possible from winnable games we are back on track and nightmare start will be vanished.Then who knows we are in the mix and this is all that we need from round 1.

So Webber was clear in his short statement for sack Farke.

This is the right time we to try to keep our club in PL and boost and confidence must be up asap.

So probably Smith and Knutsen have bigger potential and better for future but this time Webber choose Lampard who can have immediately affect because in 2 months improvement is too late for us.

Think official will be tmrw  just before 1st training of the team after Brentford game because is not announced who can lead session with all first team coaches was gone with Farke already.

• Like 1

It seems to me that the supporters are split into 2 different camps here. One that want a celebrity ex footballer to make us look more ‘big time’, and the other wanting a reasonably tactically astute coach who will hopefully give us a better chance at retaining our PL status this season. Wonder how many Derby shirts Wayne Rooney has sold in the Far East…

• Thanks 1

I'm not anti Lampard, I just don't understand why anyone would be pro Lampard. He has had a not terrible but not great managerial career so far. He might make it work because he clearly isn't incompetent and sometimes things just work out at a club, but there's nothing in his past that says he will. 

He was a great player, but we all know that doesn't always translate. He's British, but that doesn't actually make you better or worse at management so is a bit irrelevant. He managed two clubs both of who were in a bit of a strange transition period so it's hard what to attribute to him, either positively or negatively.

Basically if you appointed any semi-ok young manager with a checkered record in management, you would have the same as we have with FL. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work, I just can't understand being overly positive or negative about it.

Knutsen i think is Exciting because he is less known but sounds a very good coach who can get a lot out of lesser players ( just what we need ) 

Lampard is the Big name not many better midfielders in world football so if he can relay that to our team and set it up may work also good with younger players 

then Smith Delia is very good with Drinks at half time and Tom is not bad at cutting Oranges 

55 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

It seems to me that the supporters are split into 2 different camps here. One that want a celebrity ex footballer to make us look more ‘big time’, and the other wanting a reasonably tactically astute coach who will hopefully give us a better chance at retaining our PL status this season. Wonder how many Derby shirts Wayne Rooney has sold in the Far East…

I haven't seen anyone on hear who is anti FL come up with a better idea. i.e someone who is either guaranteed to keep us up or guaranteed to win us promotion next year. So please tell me if FL is not the man who is?

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

This is the most pig ignorant nonsense I've read in weeks in this hell hole. 

Knutsen has never played football at anywhere near the level lampard did. 

He has only managed in the ludicrous little norwegian leagues, which are more league one level. 

He is a complete unknown. 

But because you saw a video and he beat Jose, he's apparently wonderful. 

Oh and he's euro, fits the model, blah. 

He's an incredible gamble. Massive. Biggest gamble of the three, anyone with a brain can see that. 

Smith was just sacked for being rubbish. For the second season in the prem. And you lot were attacking him for how he used buendia! 

Then we have lampard. Who has played at top level all his career. 

Derby top four. Chelsea top four in an embargo. Fa Cup, champions league. 

And don't come the rubbish about under achieving at Derby. Mount was 18!

Plus the youngsters will look up to him and he will have significant pull in the January window. 

So your condescending attitude, basically saying anyone wanting lampard just wants celebrity, is utterly ridiculous. 

Dont you feel even slightly ridiculous peddling such sh*te? 

5 minutes ago, Mullet said:

I haven't seen anyone on hear who is anti FL come up with a better idea. i.e someone who is either guaranteed to keep us up or guaranteed to win us promotion next year. So please tell me if FL is not the man who is?

There are no guarantees whomever is appointed. But Knutsen has done insanely good with a small club, and not just once either, so it’s not an accident. Guardiola raving about him I believe even before the Roma result. Check Frank Lampard’s goals against record at Chelsea - a team that had Rudiger, Alonso etc at their disposal! That alone is a massive red flag! How on earth does that not ring alarm bells with some people?!

2 minutes ago, fredherring said:

Also faced a very strong Villa side in the playoff final, who had been there the season previous, along with Grealish etc.. 

Remember the Leeds 4-2 to get them there was a really exciting match, he really turned that tie around big time.

6 minutes ago, fredherring said:

This is the most pig ignorant nonsense I've read in weeks in this hell hole. 

Knutsen has never played football at anywhere near the level lampard did. 

He has only managed in the ludicrous little norwegian leagues, which are more league one level. 

He is a complete unknown. 

But because you saw a video and he beat Jose, he's apparently wonderful. 

Oh and he's euro, fits the model, blah. 

He's an incredible gamble. Massive. Biggest gamble of the three, anyone with a brain can see that. 

Smith was just sacked for being rubbish. For the second season in the prem. And you lot were attacking him for how he used buendia! 

Then we have lampard. Who has played at top level all his career. 

Derby top four. Chelsea top four in an embargo. Fa Cup, champions league. 

Plus the youngsters will look up to him and he will have significant pull in the January window. 

So your condescending attitude, basically saying anyone wanting lampard just wants celebrity, is utterly ridiculous. 

Dont you feel even slightly ridiculous peddling such sh*te? 

Some interesting claims including Derby’s mythical 4th place finish, but I hope you’re one of the first to get his autograph 👍

12 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Also faced a very strong Villa side in the playoff final, who had been there the season previous, along with Grealish etc.. 

Remember the Leeds 4-2 to get them there was a really exciting match, he really turned that tie around big time.

Cor, with a side coached by Lampard and a very strong Villa side with Grealish it in the league, the champions of it that year must have been something else. Can't we just appoint the coach of that team, who absolutely dicked all over both of those sides that year, finishing 18 and 20 points ahead of both despite having a considerably lower budget? Sounds like he'd be a much better coach than Lampard and Smith...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Cor, with a side coached by Lampard and a very strong Villa side with Grealish it in the league, the champions of it that year must have been something else. Can't we just appoint the coach of that team, who absolutely dicked all over both of those sides that year, finishing 18 and 20 points ahead of both despite having a considerably lower budget? Sounds like he'd be a much better coach than Lampard and Smith...

Is your analysis here really fair on Smith do you think, when Smith became Aston Villa manager on the 10th October that season with them sitting in 14th? 

12 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

But that team that finished ahead of them had Emi Buendía, but from recollection wasn’t that the team that did not win a single game where Buendía did not feature.

There are lies, damn lies and statistics……..

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Is your analysis here really fair on Smith do you think, when Smith became Aston Villa manager on the 10th October that season with them sitting in 14th? 

You'd probably have a point but for the fact that when he came in, we were only a couple of points ahead of him. That two point gap only got bigger and bigger, despite the ridiculous and expensively assembled talent at his disposal.

3 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You'd probably have a point but for the fact that when he came in, we were only a couple of points ahead of him. That two point gap only got bigger and bigger, despite the ridiculous and expensively assembled talent at his disposal.

One manager having a squad that he assembled and had a full pre-season with.

Completely disingenuous if you can't acknowledge that Dean Smith did a fantastic job at Villa to get them out of that league after such a poor start, and despite losing Grealish for a substantial chunk of that season.

Besides, nobody is questioning what Farke achieved in the Championship, many questioned his ability to adapt to the Premier League.

A valid question is whether Webber has provided Farke with the bullets he needed this season, jury is out on that one, but I personally welcome another manager having another go with this squad before we make any conclusions about that. We can already expect to see the return of Cantwell and that improves our first XI immediately in my opinion. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

14 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

You could have made a great point Canarydan23 if you'd pointed out that recently sacked Dean Smith's Aston Villa beat Frank Lampards Derby County three times that season... 3-0, 4-0, then in the play-off final. 

By rubbishing the achievements of Smith that season you undermine any argument really and miss that opportunity, he did a great job to take them from 14th to promotion.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

I disagree - the timing of DF’s sacking was unfortunate but necessary due to the international break with everyone going away almost immediately; winning a game is great, but it was rather ‘hairy’ in the end and didn’t really alter the overall appearance that things weren’t ‘right’.

The second bit just doesn’t feel likely to me - it would have been quickly clear in any discussion if one of the parties wouldn’t come ‘asap’ and I don’t think it’s relevant anyway.  It implies Knutsen was the only choice  and I don’t believe that to be the case (or that we couldn’t get him to come), but I don’t suppose we’ll ever know.

Would much rather have Smith than Lampard as a coach, but I can see what Lampard would bring. I think Smith would be the more credible appointment from a football need, but the extra bounce and attention the players would get from having Lampard here might just make the difference in the next few games and suddenly the world is a different place.

My gut tells me that Webber won't go with Lampard for some reason. But then my gut was wrong about Emi going to Villa......

24 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

According to Chris Jones (SFL's right hand man) it's a no to us. That is through a mutual friend and not media circles. 

What do you mean? Lampard turning us down?