I’m excited, though I think I’d me more excited if it was a World Cup final, this is the second biggest tournament to that. But still, to be champions of Europe and actually get to finally enjoy a final day with England in it will be wonderful. The emotion of last night had worn off and now it’s about seeing if we can get it done!

Hogesar, yes, I understand that my dislike for Sterling is probably shared by others. Cannot explain why, probably goes way back but in fairness am rapidly falling out of love with football (apart from City) with all the shamming and cheating players of which Sterling is definitely one

18 minutes ago, Steve White said:

Hogesar, yes, I understand that my dislike for Sterling is probably shared by others. Cannot explain why, probably goes way back but in fairness am rapidly falling out of love with football (apart from City) with all the shamming and cheating players of which Sterling is definitely one

The worst one for me last night was the 6 foot 6 inch Vestergaard being poleaxed by inch high Sterling's upright arm making contact with the face.  He collapsed as if Fred Dibnah had packed his feet with explosive

Why don't journalists/pundits make more of this side of the game? Call it out ffs, don't just protect feathering your own nest. It's pathetic and the real down side of this is that people take this as acceptable and kids copy it.

It’s the hangers on that do my head in, sudden converts to football that normally say they hate it. A number of women at work are now banging on about it when normally the slightest mention of football and they tell you to change the subject because it’s boring. 

Does anyone think these girls are regulars at Carrow road and love the game or did they go to a screening because they thought it would be a laugh and there would be lots of blokes there, plus they hadn’t had a night out in 18 months.

0E4DFAEC-AA31-4486-843E-AFF28960F5D2.jpeg

6 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

It’s the hangers on that do my head in, sudden converts to football that normally say they hate it. A number of women at work are now banging on about it when normally the slightest mention of football and they tell you to change the subject because it’s boring. 

Does anyone think these girls are regulars at Carrow road and love the game or did they go to a screening because they thought it would be a laugh and there would be lots of blokes there, plus they hadn’t had a night out in 18 months.

I don't think you have been paying attention Frank. They are the River End Cheerleaders, ably led by Ethel (front left) who can do something with a baton and a set of pom poms, that us mere mortals can only dream about

4 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I don't think you have been paying attention Frank. They are the River End Cheerleaders, ably led by Ethel (front left) who can do something with a baton and a set of pom poms, that us mere mortals can only dream about

Is that Ethel the ready ?

4 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Is that Ethel the ready ?

Only half an hour before kick off and at half time apparently. Quality not quantity with her

19 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Oh no! These women went out and had fun but don't actually watch football very often! The horror!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

*Here we are at Wembley with the new formation. Looks like a four at the back but they're quite a flat back four and staying very close together. The two full backs are not moving up much at all. Meanwhile there's b-u-gger all in the midfield and the barely visible t-i-t-s up top are badly in need of some support there. Might need someone surging up from deep. We're waiting for someone to really stamp their mark on this and come up with something penetrative. Over to you in the studio.

Edited by TheGunnShow
Bloody censors.
  • Haha 1

Always been club over country and Normally cannot get into international football at all apart from keeping an interest in the tournaments.. 

But I do find myself cheering the place down as I would when city score/win, and genuinely am more gripped this time around than I have been since I was a kid.

But this may be due to my grandad passing last September and he took me to my first ncfc game at 4yo and was with me the one time I went to watch England play too. And I think this has made the already big connection to football, even greater.

Strange how these things affect our experience and feelings towards the beautiful game.

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

Oh no! These women went out and had fun but don't actually watch football very often! The horror!

Good to hear you’ll let one of them have your ticket when we’re at home to Man U

41 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I'm with you on this topic. 

Its become an event, not a sporting one, for many people. Its a pish up, a chance for some to be seen out and about, and this need to belong.

If they all went to matches then grounds would be full.

NCFC is what matters and is serious. England should be like being on holiday. An escape from the norm.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Good to hear you’ll let one of them have your ticket when we’re at home to Man U

What a bizarre non sequitur. 

5 hours ago, Badger said:

Similar in a way - lost both my parents in 2019 - and watching the football with my brother and his family together with mine, kinds of reminds me of when we were young and watched the matches as a family together, same as we watched televised Norwich away games and the UEFA cup run etc.

Football has always been a family thing for me - used to go with my grandads etc when I was young.

Totally get that Badger. 

4 years since my mum passed, and we have been laughing respectfully this week, that she would have been moaning about the TV schedules being messed about for the football - but she would have totally accepted it for Wimbledon! Bless her

However its been nice to watch the England matches with my Dad, and for some of the other games my son has popped over for, so its been nice to have 3 generations watching together. Alas the lure of watching England at the pub with his mates is to strong for him to watch them with me and his Grandad! Cant have it all!   

I've always watched England games in the pub with my mates, so it has often been messy but great fun. I've rarely been to Norwich games with anyone I know so they've not been as memorable for me. But either way, the fun/excitement has almost always worn off the next day.

If we win on Sunday I will be happy and I will have a few drinks at home throughout the evening but whatever happens, life will go on and the following day will be back to normal for me.

8 hours ago, Steve White said:

Did you see the hoolahan dive at Watford years ago? That was one of the best no contact dives ever. 

Some lovely stories on here 

like many have said already Euro 96 was the first tournament I can remember, gascoignes goal v Scots his nearly goal in semi and of course Southgates peno miss 

2018 was something special and felt it bought country together but there was a lot of poor tournaments in between 

For me, I think we’ve had a horrible year and a half with Covid, seeing a full stadium last night and people celebrating was emotional enough without the football 

judging by the Italians celebrations on Tuesday, they think they’ve already won it so would be nice to wipe the smile off their faces 

I think England winning on Sunday against the country where Covid really kicked off in Europe could be a poetic symmetry (sp?) as we wave goodbye to restrictions a week on Monday 

But seriously…am I looking forward to the final on Sunday? yes 

18 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Other way round for me.

Memories of England winning a tournament would last a lifetime. Not the same with Norwich.

Given the frequency that England win anything compared to Norwich, that’s probably very wise.

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

Given the frequency that England win anything compared to Norwich, that’s probably very wise.

Yeah if we avoid relegation this season perhaps I'll get the flags out.

I'm not feeling it at all this time around, haven't since the start of the tournament - there have been some good games (France-Switzerland, Spain-Croatia, both were incredible games and very entertaining) but good games have been few and far between and none have involved England who mostly send me to sleep. Regardless of that though, I just have no excitement at all that we are in the final, which I don't understand because 3 years ago I was loving the World Cup. 

If Norwich were to get to a final though, say our first FA Cup final, I would be over the moon, but can't be arsed with all this England stuff. Sooner August and NCFC are back the better.

Gareth Southgate is likeable so I want to see him lift a trophy.

It would be good to see Harry Kane lift one, as it would be a shame to see such a great striker retire without major honours and he may feel able to stay at the team he has grown up supporting if that ticks a box for him.

And its always nice to get one over the Germans.

But I'm not massively excited either, and a bit jealous of those who are (and good for them).

I put it down to being really busy with work at the minute, haven't really had time to let my imagination run wild or to day dream. 

On 08/07/2021 at 10:49, cornish sam said:

Similar for me. Last night I was feeling strangely elated (almost high) but that has totally gone now, hopefully it will kick in for Sunday (though who scheduled the final for 8pm on a Sunday? My kids are under 10, they deserve a chance to see this and if it goes to extra time then they'll not be in bed much before 11 on a school night, for the continental folk it'll be midnight! It's not even as though there's a market this makes sense for, in the far East it's 4am and the US don't care about soccer enough!)

I think it's.paetly because the expectation wasn't there before hand. International football has been a bit of a chore for so long that the connection to the team is weak. if you weren't excited going into the tournament as a football fan then it's hard to get as excited now...

Staying up late part of the culture. There's no way any italians think it's too late.

18 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Please stop. That last post made you look like such a sad old troll. Of course plastics are annoying, but you don't own football or fun.

Edited by Krul Mistress
To tell Frank he's a sad act.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Steve White said:

I don't get this hate for Sterling.

He's quiet off the pitch, not a flash tw*t or braggart, seems mature when interviewed, never goes missing on the pitch and always working hard and looking for the ball.

In an industry full of annoying tossers, serial cheats, drink drivers etc, I don't get it. 

I don't very much like James Maddison for many of the reasons stated above, although can still recognise that he's good at his job.

23 hours ago, hogesar said:

I'm interested, what can't you "stand" about Sterling?

It's a genuine question - because it's been a problem for some time with a selection of people. I really don't understand what it is about Sterling that some have such a problem with.

He was interviewed on TV after one of the England games in this tournament and couldn't remember the name of one of his own team. He eventually described him as "the bloke from Leeds". He went on to say how much his 4 year old son worships him. Not the other way round! 

I can't remember listening to him speak before but I was left with a very strong view of his character. I suppose anyone who is daft enough to have a huge gun tattooed on his leg is going to be a bit thick. Good player though. 

19 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

What would actually be wrong with that?

I do the same with boxing. Occasionally get excited enough by a big fight when Eddie Hearn has turned the hype machine up to max setting, usually heavyweights, and make a night of watching the boxing.

But I don't tune in to watch a featherweight Lonsdale belt scrap at York Hall between Bob the taxi driver from Bristol and Jimbo the coke dealer from Glasgow on a Wednesday night. So I'm an armchair / occasional boxing fan like most of the people who fill the Matchroom coffers.

Think most of us can confess to dipping in and out of different sports or interests other than football?

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What would actually be wrong with that?

I do the same with boxing. Occasionally get excited enough by a big fight when Eddie Hearn has turned the hype machine up to max setting, usually heavyweights, and make a night of watching the boxing.

But I don't tune in to watch a featherweight Lonsdale belt scrap at York Hall between Bob the taxi driver from Bristol and Jimbo the coke dealer from Glasgow on a Wednesday night. So I'm an armchair / occasional boxing fan like most of the people who fill the Matchroom coffers.

Think most of us can confess to dipping in and out of different sports or interests other than football?

Yep. I don't usually care about Rugby but I'll be down the pub with some friends to watch the 6 nations or a World Cup. According to FF though this shouldn't be allowed unless I'm watching Munster v London Welsh too.

• Like 1

Just now, king canary said:

Yep. I don't usually care about Rugby but I'll be down the pub with some friends to watch the 6 nations or a World Cup. According to FF though this shouldn't be allowed unless I'm watching Munster v London Welsh too.

I will add though that I will refrain from then attempting to preach or analyse a fight on facebook, where there's a few actual boxers in my friends list, as I know it would annoy them - they actually do watch the Wednesday night area title fights between Bob the bricklayer and Steve the window cleaner ha.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I will add though that I will refrain from then attempting to preach or analyse a fight on facebook, where there's a few actual boxers in my friends list, as I know it would annoy them - they actually do watch the Wednesday night area title fights between Bob the bricklayer and Steve the window cleaner ha.

Oh yeah for sure- I wouldn't claim to know the ins and outs of how England Rugby should be setting up or which players should be starting etc etc. 

42 minutes ago, Krul Mistress said:

Of course plastics are annoying

Please stop. You're making yourself look like it's only your opinion that matters. I see that you agree with me anyway thanks. 

Just now, FenwayFrank said:

Please stop. You're making yourself look like it's only your opinion that matters. I see that you agree with me anyway thanks. 

Only my opinion that matters? Should probably read the other comments in this thread.

The irony is that most people in this thread would much rather watch the final with the people in the photo you posted than you.

• Haha 1