BigFish

Seems like the Tories don't want football to come home

41 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

This is beyond the pale, I've got to like Tyrone Mings now? Unbelievable

2 hours ago, duke63 said:

If this Government and its MPs had spent more time making considered decisions, than decisions that lined their own pockets whilst letting the Countrymen they supposedly represent die in overcrowded hospitals .......................

If this Government and its MPs had spent time condemning racists and their comments then maybe Britain would be a better place to live.....

Just shows how incredibly stupid this current crop of MPs really are.

And how incredibly stupid this current crop of voters are to have elected the ****wits in the first place...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kirku said:

Yes a fine gentleman.

If you ignore the stamping on opponents faces.😉

12 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Would it be ungenerous to suggest that this Tory MP tweeted this because it was about a black working class man?

Would it be ungenerous to say she tweeted this because she was a clueless trollop?

2 hours ago, kirku said:

haha, same reaction here. Still hate the violent thug of a man... Buuut I do respect him a little bit, just a tiny tiny bit, for standing up for his morals

2 hours ago, kirku said:

Not necessarily. It's perfectly possible to fully agree with some things a person says, no matter how odious you may otherwise find them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cornish sam said:

And how incredibly stupid this current crop of voters are to have elected the ****wits in the first place...

But they are not stupid enough to vote for Corbynism.

Tories pitch Young v old, rich v poor, black v white etc to divide people. If the general public were not so distracted then they would be questioning those in power.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

But they are not stupid enough to vote for Corbynism.

Interestingly, they ended up with a government that have implemented an economic plan far to the left of Corbyn's (Although, of course,  they have tried to mitigate that by ensuring their Tory party donors and chums got a big share of the taxpayer's money).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Interestingly, they ended up with a government that have implemented an economic plan far to the left of Corbyn's (Although, of course,  they have tried to mitigate that by ensuring their Tory party donors and chums got a big share of the taxpayer's money).

Just because they've spent more money than Corbyn would have, doesn't mean they're far to the left. They've made sure that most of the money has been spaffed up the wall.

The Tories have always borrowed more than Labour and they had already more than double the national debt in their 10 years of government prior to the pandemic. All against a backdrop of destroying public services and selling all our assets to their rich mates for knockdown prices.

Corbyn's policies were pretty much centre of the road historically. The majority of his manifesto would have fitted with the actual economic plan implemented by John Major's Conservative government. I wasn't Corbyn's biggest fan on a personal level, but politically Boris is far more of an extremist and the Labour political platform was far more balanced.

People really need to stop voting for these lunatics.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Just because they've spent more money than Corbyn would have, doesn't mean they're far to the left. They've made sure that most of the money has been spaffed up the wall.

The Tories have always borrowed more than Labour and they had already more than double the national debt in their 10 years of government prior to the pandemic. All against a backdrop of destroying public services and selling all our assets to their rich mates for knockdown prices.

Corbyn's policies were pretty much centre of the road historically. The majority of his manifesto would have fitted with the actual economic plan implemented by John Major's Conservative government. I wasn't Corbyn's biggest fan on a personal level, but politically Boris is far more of an extremist and the Labour political platform was far more balanced.

Indeed! They're certainly very much a bunch of right-wing extremists. The interesting thing is that in a crisis they had no option but to engage in a massive public spending plan and pour money into areas (NHS, benefits, etc) that must have made them weep. Their favoured brand of one-dimensional free market economics was entirely incapable of saving the country in a time of pandemic.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BigFish said:

Would it be ungenerous to suggest that this Tory MP tweeted this because it was about a black working class man?

I think it is more because despite being rich himself, he is still concerned about the poverty of others and spoke out against it. As we have seen in this thread (and elsewhere) this means that he is guilty of "hypocrisy" and "virtue signalling."

It is the "catch-all rule" of the current right - if you are poor and want reform you should recognise your poverty is your own fault and instead of complaining you should get off your  backside and do something about it  instead of expecting others to bale you out.

If on the other hand you are comfortable or wealthy and want reform you are a hypocrite and a "virtue signaller."

Divide and rule.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Find me one that isn’t an extreme loony with some actual morals and I would vote for them

10 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Not necessarily. It's perfectly possible to fully agree with some things a person says, no matter how odious you may otherwise find them.

Erm, thanks?

Think I can take it from here though

11 minutes ago, kirku said:

Erm, thanks?

Think I can take it from here though

Well, I rarely agree with Nigel Farage, but when I speak about the inadequacies of our electoral model, we could be one and the same as our criticisms are basically the same. Happens on occasion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Well, I rarely agree with Nigel Farage, but when I speak about the inadequacies of our electoral model, we could be one and the same as our criticisms are basically the same. Happens on occasion.

People like Nigel Farage are the reason we have a system like this. It makes it much harder for fringe extremists to gain election to parliament. Ergo, it takes a much more co-ordinated effort. Swings and roundabouts. 

1 minute ago, chicken said:

People like Nigel Farage are the reason we have a system like this. It makes it much harder for fringe extremists to gain election to parliament. Ergo, it takes a much more co-ordinated effort. Swings and roundabouts. 

Respectfully disagree on that one. Switzerland is a model of stability, yet their model is far more representative. PR's a bare minimum from my perspective.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Respectfully disagree on that one. Switzerland is a model of stability, yet their model is far more representative. PR's a bare minimum from my perspective.

I'm not sure it's disagreeable to be honest. Historically, the system was created to stop small fringe groups from getting to parliament. I'm not saying it should stay as it is, I am just stating why it has been in place for so long.

PR would be ideal. Representation the level of a referendum would be chaos. You say you need stability - this is why many EU countries do not allow for referendums, typically because they give a snapshot of mood. Germany, for example, doesn't have them because of their historical experience of it making it easier for the extremists to grow a presence.

It's still risky. Especially if the electorate are not properly educated in what politics are, what is right and left, what extreme positions look like and how they disguise themselves.

Arguably the Conservatives would have become even more extreme to hold onto power as the threat from UKIP/Brexit Party would be even more real. Their shift to a further right position would have had to have been more drastic to fend off that threat.

8 minutes ago, chicken said:

I'm not sure it's disagreeable to be honest. Historically, the system was created to stop small fringe groups from getting to parliament. I'm not saying it should stay as it is, I am just stating why it has been in place for so long.

PR would be ideal. Representation the level of a referendum would be chaos. You say you need stability - this is why many EU countries do not allow for referendums, typically because they give a snapshot of mood. Germany, for example, doesn't have them because of their historical experience of it making it easier for the extremists to grow a presence.

It's still risky. Especially if the electorate are not properly educated in what politics are, what is right and left, what extreme positions look like and how they disguise themselves.

Arguably the Conservatives would have become even more extreme to hold onto power as the threat from UKIP/Brexit Party would be even more real. Their shift to a further right position would have had to have been more drastic to fend off that threat.

Switzerland's got it to work superbly well. Double-majority generally needed (so a majority of votes AND a majority of cantons, solving the problem where a populous canton provides most votes, but most others are far less keen), and IIRC around three-quarters of public initiatives that trigger such referendums are rejected. Cameron introduced a much more attenuated version of that with the e-petition as the Swiss influence is clear in that. Difference is, it just gets discussed in parliament and no more.

Germany doesn't have them but they do have the five-per-cent rule (I think they had a rule saying a party had to get three seats as well, but not sure if that's the case any more) meaning that if a party gets less than five per cent, they don't take their seats that were won.

The usual right wing blinkered twots are a bit quiet on this thread eh? Had a look in the mirror did we chaps? Good, maybe you've evolved during all this. Welcome to the 21st century. 👏 #openarmsforall

Edited by spencer 1970
  • Like 5

Fair play to Mings, I’m glad one of them went beyond what they would normally be advised to do and actually call out Patel. I have no idea what could turn people off of these liars, perhaps having some footballers point out their disgusting hypocrisies might do it?

Here's a question for all of us to ponder: I wonder how many of those dishing out racist abuse to Sterling, Saka, Rashford, Sancho etc. would be the first to call other people "snowflakes"?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Find me one that isn’t an extreme loony with some actual morals and I would vote for them

David Lammy, Clive Lewis, Daisy Cooper, Caroline Lucas, Dominic Grieve...... etc etc. 

• Like 2