Jump to content
BigFish

Seems like the Tories don't want football to come home

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, BigFish said:

 

 

Ha , scrolling down on that a bit Dr. Alice Roberts has a rather  barbed comment.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Deep woke" ??! Jesus Christ these people......

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smells like trying to stir a culture war as a divide and conquer strategy. Probably because they've been useless.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unlike the superb job Starmer, Raynor et al would have done.  Must explain why their vote share has fallen even when they finally win a by election. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Unlike the superb job Starmer, Raynor et al would have done.  Must explain why their vote share has fallen even when they finally win a by election. 

Labour are an absolute ****show at the moment. However, you might want to look up "whataboutery".

  • Like 3
  • Haha 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once the word Tories is used on a thread you can put money who will be queueing up to join in.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Smells like trying to stir a culture war as a divide and conquer strategy. Probably because they've been useless.

The deep woke comment is the authors as far as I can tell.

I mean this article is just an opinion piece and is itself stirring things up with a bunch of hearsay and cherry picked use of examples of its perceived sides in said culture war.

I don’t really want to see any political side stake some claim over the England team. I would rather for once people just concentrate on the football than try to make everything an insufferable political battle, but I know there’s no chance of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Embarrassing, they’ve played themselves out being able to ride on the teams coattails with their enthusiasm to boo them, now they will look for a way to distance themselves from them, yet still expect them to try to roll the red carpet out if we win it. I hope team tell them to stuff it if they get invited to a reception, not that they will as they are a classy bunch led by a class man, unlike Johnson and his mob.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I mean this article is just an opinion piece and is itself stirring things up with a bunch of hearsay and cherry picked use of examples of its perceived sides in said culture war.

As opposed to encouraging the England fans to boo the team like the Home Secretary/PM and boycotting the games like some Tory MPs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/07/2021 at 20:46, keelansgrandad said:

They will all be there at the final though. Michelin Man will have his thumbs up as normal.

Didn't look too contrived though,  did it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

And, to add, I don't really want to see any politicians at sporting events,  we see enough of their ugly boats as it is. 

Edited by Daz Sparks
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I might see what odds I can get on Gareth Southgate being the next Labour Prime Minister.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is funny now seeing all the right-wingers now pretending to be patriotic after spending months booing the national team! 😃 They'll all soon be saying that they liked Gareth all along and that he should be given a knighthood (unless we lose of course.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Badger said:

It is funny now seeing all the right-wingers now pretending to be patriotic after spending months booing the national team! 😃 They'll all soon be saying that they liked Gareth all along and that he should be given a knighthood (unless we lose of course.)

I also enjoyed Gary Neville taking a swipe at Johnson post match. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right wingers are far more Patriotic in general than the leftie intelligencia who seem to hate our country. Who can forget the sneering Lady Nugent’s (Emily Thornberry) comments about white van man showing the England flag. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Right wingers are far more Patriotic in general than the leftie intelligencia who seem to hate our country. Who can forget the sneering Lady Nugent’s (Emily Thornberry) comments about white van man showing the England flag. 

There is a world of difference between hating your country and hating those who run it and the way they do so. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Right wingers are far more Patriotic in general than the leftie intelligencia who seem to hate our country.

You are joking! there were hundreds, if not thousands at every match booing their own team for taking the knee. Many Tory MPs supported this and some said that they would refuse to watch England because they took an anti-racism stance.

If you are a patriot, you don't boo your own country before the game evens starts!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Crafty Canary said:

Right wingers are far more Patriotic in general than the leftie intelligencia

Presumably these are all patriots?

https://apnews.com/article/euro-2020-soccer-england-croatia-fans-knee-racial-injustice-5a9b6d35fed017fb67d5f28046a967c5?fbclid=IwAR04KJ1lDdTmQzfuzpaV613JhjOs-LgTGFDgBTTwg6ibZXySzyB-ni6qyMI

Basically they boo when the national team when they think we are going to lose and jump on the bandwagon and pretend to be patriotic and pleased when we win! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Badger said:

You are joking! there were hundreds, if not thousands at every match booing their own team for taking the knee. Many Tory MPs supported this and some said that they would refuse to watch England because they took an anti-racism stance.

If you are a patriot, you don't boo your own country before the game evens starts!

I fully agree with your last sentence. But that's mostly because I have zero understanding on why you'd boo something that has literally no negative impact on you or your life!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

But that's mostly because I have zero understanding on why you'd boo something that has literally no negative impact on you or your life!

I think that it is because the right wing racists that boo think that they have lost out due to immigration, because they have no other explanation of why their right wing policies have not benefitted them individually.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right-wing patriots are only so as they like the way the country they are in as it is. Others want it to improve.

Then again, I've always found pride in a country to be silly. Talk about fluffing yourself up with someone else's feathers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Right-wing patriots are only so as they like the way the country they are in as it is. Others want it to improve.

Then again, I've always found pride in a country to be silly. Talk about fluffing yourself up with someone else's feathers.

Don't agree with this bit. I think being proud of the country you live in is a great thing, and should generally lead to people feeling like they're a small part of a wider community doing their bit.

That some decide to use it to reinforce, or excuse, their racist behaviour shouldn't detract from those with genuine pride for the right reasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Don't agree with this bit. I think being proud of the country you live in is a great thing, and should generally lead to people feeling like they're a small part of a wider community doing their bit.

That some decide to use it to reinforce, or excuse, their racist behaviour shouldn't detract from those with genuine pride for the right reasons. 

If you are a small part of a community that "does their bit", it is somewhat linked to personal achievement. In my view, the whole notion of pride that's not in personal achievements appears grievously flawed. Forgot the comedian who said it, but it seems like saying you're proud of being dark-haired or a certain height.

Being proud of where I was born because I fell out of a vagina there (or in my case, they cut the roof open)...no, it doesn't compute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I've always found pride in a country to be silly.

Not sure I agree - it is a group that I belong to, so it is only natural that I take pride in its achievements. The corollary though, is that sometimes I feel ashamed of some of the things it has done as well. Shame is the other side of the same coin with pride on the other side.

I feel exactly the same with Norwich and happily show people who visit me around the City pointing out all the places of historical and cultural interest. (I don't claim personal credit for the history/ culture but am still proud of it.)

Edited by Badger
Added last sentence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...