6 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Just to let posters know that the in conjunction with Sports Desk Pete I have arranged for half a dozen grief counsellors to be on hand to monitor this thread and console fans unlucky enough to support England who actually thought they might win.

Oh yeah.....good call chump.....Maybe you can now rearrange one for the Germans....Now **** off.....

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Yeah but what you don't get is as soon as we beat a top end side they suddenly become bang average.

Heh, there's often a degree of revisionism involved. I said in a previous thread that I thought Germany were a stronger side than this England one. In many ways I still do, but when a coach gets his tactics right, one player has a strong spell - an inch here, an inch there, then the other side can deservedly win.

That's what we've seen tonight.

Southgate is clearly the greatest manager England have ever had and his team selection was perfection tonight and there s ZERO evidence I have ever said anything even slightly different to that

• Haha 2

YYESSSSZZ

Finally we beat the Krauts!!!

Well done England. Brilliant from Raheem, great header Kano and superb from Grealish.

Back 5 were immense.

4 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

This threads hilarious to read back

Utter knuckleheads clueless about tournament football 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Ward 3 said:

Don't like grealish. BUT he changed the game 

Yeah he was very good. Sterling deserves huge credit for what he's done so far too.

• Like 2

Like I said, its not what I want from my national team but have to respect the result.

But I can't get excited like the giggly girls on the BBC.

And I don't give a shoite what some of you sad abuser have been saying to posters, you matter little.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Like I said, its not what I want from my national team but have to respect the result.

And I don't give a shoite what some of you sad abuser have been saying to posters, you matter little.

hardware-cloud.jpg

• Haha 3

Key bit of the screenshot highlighted before peeps line up to pot-shot at Southgate.
image.thumb.png.3dc0d759a939926018c3bbbe7a163d7c.png

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Then what are you saying?

Southgate's got this absolutely spot on against a dangerous side and is shoving an epic f-u-c-k-ton of BK8 hotdogs down critics throats. Needed a little luck here and there, but when you're playing top-end sides, you need it.

? Before today, I thought we could beat Germany , and with a little to spare. I felt that we were definitely good enough to beat a good (but not World beating)  Germany side. I felt (feel) that we have some great players in the squad, but as has been the case for a long time, the tactics employed have not complimented these guys and got the best out of them.  I have already said respect the opposition, but don't take a step back (and I haven't seen anybody applaud that team selection 2 hours ago) That wasn't a great performance (it was a winning performance, as Ken Hairy rightly points out). 

That was turgid right up before Sterling scored. That style of football is easy for better teams to play against. If we up the tempo etc then we are a team to be feared. That didn't happen today, don't fall for the hype

I know it's a different competition but I'd rather we (Norwich) tried to play football to it's best and possibly get relegated, rather than play that sort of stuff to gain mid table mediocrity. 

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah he was very good. Sterling deserves huge credit for what he's done so far too.

Absolutely mate. Positive energy throughout 

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Also surely we have to cut our losses with Kane now - it’s like playing with 10 men and a traffic cone up front  

Good header from the traffic cone!!!

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Heh, there's often a degree of revisionism involved. I said in a previous thread that I thought Germany were a stronger side than this England one. In many ways I still do, but when a coach gets his tactics right, one player has a strong spell - an inch here, an inch there, then the other side can deservedly win.

That's what we've seen tonight.

Serious question. Man for man, which German players would you swap out in our team? I personally wouldn't put many. I believe we have the better players

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

They like to give it but don't like it when they get some back, Kernow Keelan....

My heart got broken in Euro ‘96 as a kid by Germany. 25 years later I feel fully vindicated.. I can’t imagine what Southgate feels like! 😁

Edited by Danke bitte
**** maths

🤣😂 tactical masterclass. Give a weak opposition all the decent chances. Wait until the 75th minute and after bringing on a player that should’ve started, before playing to our strengths. Give the opposition a one on one chance that should’ve made it 1-1.

Its fantastic England have won and the two goals were great. But this was not a complete performance or a tactical masterclass 🤣 by any stretch. Better teams would have taken one of the chances Germany had.

Denmark will be a happy bunch watching that.

Sorry, got to go and cheer up, don’t want to be told off again.

🥳

1 minute ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

? Before today, I thought we could beat Germany , and with a little to spare. I felt that we were definitely good enough to beat a good (but not World beating)  Germany side. I felt (feel) that we have some great players in the squad, but as has been the case for a long time, the tactics employed have not complimented these guys and got the best out of them.  I have already said respect the opposition, but don't take a step back (and I haven't seen anybody applaud that team selection 2 hours ago) That wasn't a great performance (it was a winning performance, as Ken Hairy rightly points out). 

That was turgid right up before Sterling scored. That style of football is easy for better teams to play against. If we up the tempo etc then we are a team to be feared. That didn't happen today, don't fall for the hype

I know it's a different competition but I'd rather we (Norwich) tried to play football to it's best and possibly get relegated, rather than play that sort of stuff to gain mid table mediocrity. 

Fair enough and thanks for the explanation, but I maintain what you propose would have committed the cardinal sin of playing straight into the opponent's hands. Against a side as strong on the counter as Germany, being on the front foot too much is still something they're not going to mind as they'll always fancy their chances of getting a counter attack to stick.

England's Plan A would probably have been scuppered by theirs. So Southgate brought a plan B along that he'd worked on a fair bit as we know he's keen on a back three. First fifteen minutes were nervy as they played the occasion more than the opposition, but after that, both teams were even and England were edging it when it mattered down the stretch and deserved the win.

More than anything, Southgate got his subs spot on. Needed a couple of big saves from Pickford, but you don't face teams of Germany's calibre and swan your way through. Winning is a habit, and you have to work to get it. This was judged very well.

29 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

You bet your life I am happy that we are going to win this game, but it's not just about today.

Is it about the nine and half hours we have now gone without conceding a goal ?

• Like 3

I see there's a video of Low picking his nose and eating it at 2-0, seriously what's up with the dirty muppet?? 😂

Edited by Ken Hairy

Well I hope some of you miserable Kuntz are this disappointed when NCFC adopt the exact same tactics and survive next season.

• Haha 1