Just to let posters know that the in conjunction with Sports Desk Pete I have arranged for half a dozen grief counsellors to be on hand to monitor this thread and console fans unlucky enough to support England who actually thought they might win.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Haha 4

It's an odd game. Two apparent European giants who are often backfiring on all cylinders recently, don't appear to know their best line-ups, have some serious young talent in there, and both have defences that look vulnerable.

This could either end up a game of the tournament contender, but not at the very highest level (more entertaining due to a few errors chucked in here and there) or sponsored by Nytol.

Edited by TheGunnShow

24 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Just to let posters know that the in conjunction with Sports Desk Pete I have arranged for half a dozen grief counsellors to be on hand to monitor this thread and console fans unlucky enough to support England who actually thought they might win.

Just to add, this may prove not to be necessary but a couple of the counsellors are experts in what is known in the trade as 'penalty shoot-out mood-swing management' and 'premature celebration therapy '...

• Haha 1

I'd happily take a dreadful game with the only goal a winner to England off Kane's buttock.

It's going to penalties though!

Southgate vs Löw

Honestly, England V Germany should be one of the most exciting, entertaining and hyped up matches in world football..

And yet those two are the managers in charge of both sides. It's like being taken to watch supercars race only to find out there's a 10mph limit

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Southgate vs Löw

Honestly, England V Germany should be one of the most exciting, entertaining and hyped up matches in world football..

And yet those two are the managers in charge of both sides. It's like being taken to watch supercars race only to find out there's a 10mph limit

Nah, they look like supercars but someone put the engine of a Flymo lawnmower in there.

England have the better players now. In 2018 against Croatia, we didn't. If they don't win, it's a management failure. Germany are largely a team in decline, with two or three emerging talents.

I'm very confident that England will win and it won't go to pens. I just think we'll have too much for them.

Come on England, we can do it. Let’s make history and finally dump the Deutsch out of a major tournament 

• Like 1

It’s coming home.

stop sniffing your nuts and retire Low you weirdo

Edited by The Real Buh

1 hour ago, sgncfc said:

England have the better players now. In 2018 against Croatia, we didn't. If they don't win, it's a management failure. Germany are largely a team in decline, with two or three emerging talents.

I'm very confident that England will win and it won't go to pens. I just think we'll have too much for them.

Not sure I agree re 2018. We were marginal favourites with the bookies and I reckon if you were picking a starting 11 out of the two who lined up in England v Croatia in 2018, you'd probably get more England players than Croatia. Don't get me wrong, Croatia of 2018 was much, much better than what we beat the other day.

It's difficult to match players like for like because the formations were so different, but as best I can I'd say;

Pickford > Subasic

Trippier > Vrsaljko

Stones > Lovren

Maguire > Vida

Walker > Strinic

Henderson < Brozovic

Lingard < Modric

Young < Rakitic

Alli (2018 version) = Rebic

Sterling > Perisic

Kane > Mandzukic

Even if I put Rebic above Dele Alli then it's still 7 England players to 4 Croatian. I guess the issue was their centre midfield was so, so, so superior to ours (I mean come on, Henderson/Lingard/Young v Brozovic/Modric/Rakitic is a major mismatch) that we couldn't take advantage of our strengths elsewhere on the pitch. But we had the players to beat Croatia in 2018.

I hope you're right about tonight, as Southgate only really seems to get wins against teams we are much better than. As soon as we're up against teams that we are only a little bit better than (or slightly worse than), we lose. I fear we are only a little bit better than Germany on paper, so will lose.

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I always think following England is like following City, if you can’t handle disappointment, it’s not going to work well for you. Any England fan who is confident of beating Germany probably hasn’t been paying attention.

at the same time I think objectively it looks pretty even today, it could go either way.

Its a clean slate but once again, Southgate relies on stopping the opposition rather than putting the wind up them.

We have some great talent warming the bench rather than Neuers hands

• Like 1

Considering how well Saka played against the Czechs, the biggest travesty would be if he didn't get a start. Makes more sense than Grealish, who wasn't that effective when he came on.

I dont mind Southgate being a bit safety first but this is too extreme even for me. I'd either want Henderson or Mount replacing Phillips to give us some central creativity or Saka at right wing back letting Foden start in the front 3. 3 central defenders, two not that attacking fullbacks and two defensive midfielders is too much in my opinion.

Fairly obvious at this point that the tactic is going to involve direct balls into the channels for Saka and Sterling to chase on the counter. Need Kane to actually hold the ball up a bit too.

1 minute ago, Canary Jedi said:

To get you in the mood 😁😁😁

That was when we went out to play, not just to stop them playing.

The only thing I'll add pre game is that team doesn't necessarily have to be defensive. If the wing backs push on, if Phillips help us press high, if Walker and Maguire are willing carry the ball out of defense then it can be decent. 

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

If we lose this having played that disgracefully negative team selectiob, Southgate should be sent straight to the Tower of London

I think he's already been offered a contract extension. 

Southgate is a tool. Of the 10 outfield players, there are 5 out and out defenders, 2 holding midfielders and in Saka a player who has played more often than not as a left back! No Grealish, no Foden, no Mount. We're going home, we're going home, we're going, England are going home. I'll bookend this post. Southgate is a tool

• Like 1