Thingy

Need another striker?

There has been talk that we might not be looking to sign a new striker. I think our survival hopes are far too dependent upon Pukki staying fit. Hugill is more of a Championship player. It is difficult to judge Idah but he lacks experience. i think we need to sign someone at least as good as Pukki else we will struggle to score enough goals.

No probs, perhaps you can tell us where we can get another 20+ goal a season striker with his workrate and movement for anything close to a sensible price, who will also happily sit on the bench just in case Pukki gets injured or is off form?

We certainly won't likely get someone on a free like we did Pukki, and players with his credentials since joining us won't be going for less than 20mil at the very least.

Answers on a postcard please...

I thought they’d said a winger-come-striker, which was presumably Rashica.  I don’t disagree we might need a bit more though 

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I thought they’d said a winger-come-striker, which was presumably Rashica.  I don’t disagree we might need a bit more though 

When Webber made that statement I was a bit disappointed as I had thought similar to the OP.

However, this week's signing makes more sense of it all as does the second posting in this thread.

That's it it seems and we will have to rely upon Idah's Summer and Hugill's head along with Pukki and Rashica by the looks of it.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I would expect us to sign another striker who is capable of playing wide, rather than the general consensus that it’ll be a wide player that is capable of filling in as a striker. But then I have no idea what plans we have for Idah and Hugill. But we know that we’ve shown interest in Armstrong, so I think it’s fair to say that this department is being looked at.

Probably not a popular opinion but I'd be happy with Pukki, Idah and Hugill. Idah will only get better and I think Hugill is pretty underrated by some of our fans, if he'd had a good run of games last year I think he'd have bagged plenty of goals.

I'd be thrilled with Armstrong and wouldn't mind seeing a forward signing, but I wouldn't be fretting if we don't, whereas I probably would be if we didn't get in a CB and another midfielder. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Probably not a popular opinion but I'd be happy with Pukki, Idah and Hugill. Idah will only get better and I think Hugill is pretty underrated by some of our fans, if he'd had a good run of games last year I think he'd have bagged plenty of goals.

I'd be thrilled with Armstrong and wouldn't mind seeing a forward signing, but I wouldn't be fretting if we don't, whereas I probably would be if we didn't get in a CB and another midfielder. 

Doesn’t matter whether it’s not a popular opinion, you’re still yet to be proved wrong!

We're still being linked with strikers and the club hasn't dismissed talk of that yet. Braithwaite and Armstrong keep getting linked.

The winger-striker comment didn't mean we weren't also looking for a striker. It just means you can, perhaps, fit four strikers into a squad without losing a slot. Not to mention Idah is 20 so doesn't have to be named and can still play.

We also have, at times, played more of a striker at No.10. I don't think Stiepermann is really a No.10. We played Pukki there with Rhodes in front of him before. I think it's more about flexibility, having wingers that can cross, others that can come on and be more direct. Some who can do both. AM who can play more through the middle. Our system is flexible.

I’d be very surprised if we go into this season without another top notch striker!

Hugill will at best be a nuisance to some premiership defences but we can’t rely on him, he struggled to get into the team in the championship, one good season at QPR doesn’t make a striker.

Idah, if he stays fit needs to start to impose himself into our team, he’s now at an age where he either pushes on or goes out on loan. This has all the hallmarks of Chris Martin, great potential but ultimately never went much past decent championship player.

• Like 1

i think we need Another Striker , can not rely on one Proven PL striker in Pukki

Anything can happen lost of form or Injury 

We are being linked with Martin Braithwaite so it seems we are in the market for another striker. He can play wide too.

I would be very surprised, and disappointed if we went with just Pukki. Judging by their lack of game time last season Hugill be used sparingly, but hopefully Idah gets a chance to show what he can do.

I think Idah is Pl quality, but I don't see him as a reliable goalscorer. He's a good enough player to play at that level, but I don't see him as prolific. Pukki will be our main man and Idah can cover. What we need is an off the bench option to cause havoc against tired defenses.

For that reason I would be looking at a player who is either lightening quick or a big handful. The player doesn't have to be that great and for that reason shouldn't expect to be a regular starter they just need one attribute that they are exceptional at that can cause problems late on. Basically someone to fill the Jackson or Wilbraham role for us. 

3 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

For that reason I would be looking at a player who is either lightening quick or a big handful. The player doesn't have to be that great and for that reason shouldn't expect to be a regular starter they just need one attribute that they are exceptional at that can cause problems late on. Basically someone to fill the Jackson or Wilbraham role for us. 

Have we sold Jordan Hugill then?

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

We can only hope 😉💚💛

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

He's awkward and can draw fouls but he isn't that strong or great in the air. He can bully defenders at Championship level but PL level defenders will eat him alive if he tries to get physical with them

6 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

He's awkward and can draw fouls but he isn't that strong or great in the air. He can bully defenders at Championship level but PL level defenders will eat him alive if he tries to get physical with them

He is definitely no lesser a player than Jackson or Wilbraham though - 2 players that you cited as examples of not having to be particularly good but to just have something different about them. Disagree that he’s not strong or good in the air - that’s exactly where he is a menace and something we’d lacked for a while.

• Like 1

I’m not entirely convinced going into the new season with Pukki, Idah and Hugill is enough. I would think we’ll look to offload Hugill and use that freed up wage / slot to get someone else in as direct competition for Pukki. 

Pukki’s had a frustrating Euros and my worry is we’ve seen / had the best of him but by no means does that mean we won’t see more but I would think Farke is hoping for goals across the forward line and not just from Pukki or whoever else is up front. 

Not many clubs will take Hugill, he’ll be on a decent wage here.

Idah is not PL, at the moment. And Hugill is not even Championship standard.

Perhaps it is time for Sinani to step up. He is 24 and so should be looking at a make or break season. Much as with Famewo in the defence.

I think any signing will be more in the mould of Rashica, as we play a more fluid game with goals coming from outside the box rather than being reliant on an out and out striker.

1 hour ago, PockthorpePete said:

Perhaps it is time for Sinani to step up. He is 24 and so should be looking at a make or break season. Much as with Famewo in the defence.

What makes you think that a completely untried forward would fare better than Idah or Hugill, both of which have played in the Premier League?

Again, same with Famewo who’s played a patchy season in League 1? I can see Famewo being loaned out and probably sold, as his first team route is now indefinitely blocked by Omadamibele. 

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Sell Hugill or send Idah on loan, I’m sure one will move either way soon enough. 

I thought Paddy D said the other day that we’d listen to loan offers for Hugill?  Might have misheard that -‘but if it happened we’d def need another body in there

Edited by Branston Pickle

22 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

What makes you think that a completely untried forward would fare better than Idah or Hugill, both of which have played in the Premier League?

Again, same with Famewo who’s played a patchy season in League 1? I can see Famewo being loaned out and probably sold, as his first team route is now indefinitely blocked by Omadamibele. 

I didn't. I said it was time he came good. Whether he will or not will have to be seen. The same applies to Famewo.

Idah hardly shone in his sub appearances. Those were made for need, rather than ability. Hugill with only 3 sub appearances totalling 22 mins tells you all you need to know about his experience, and worth.

What about someone like Tyrese Campbell at Stoke? He was the dude at stoke before injury. Punched 7 in and 6 assists in 13 games. Big and technical.

I think the answer is yes, we certainly need another striker.

Rashica replaces buendia, the additions we were looking at prior to buendia included a player who could play AM / ST. That position is still needed.

So I am hoping we can get another goal threat to help pukki and our striker department.

Our spine of the team now needs the improvement. Centre half, 2 Defensive midfielders and a striker, always been the case with every promotion.

• Like 3

Hugill and Idah will feature and they both deserve too  

we do need one more though 

6 hours ago, smooth said:

I think the answer is yes, we certainly need another striker.

Rashica replaces buendia, the additions we were looking at prior to buendia included a player who could play AM / ST. That position is still needed.

So I am hoping we can get another goal threat to help pukki and our striker department.

Our spine of the team now needs the improvement. Centre half, 2 Defensive midfielders and a striker, always been the case with every promotion.

Last time in the Premier league we were so short on goals, let's not forget after cantwell we had very few contributors over 2 goals.

Yes it costs money but we need goals, as much a defensive, physical strength is needed, we will need goals. A striker who is not afraid to be greedy, take a shot first time.

My one worry with Pukki is that he likes to take a touch and position himself for his strike. Allowing defenders to recover and keepers to get set, the best strikers in the Premier League take a first time strike

• Like 1