Thingy

Need another striker?

Definitely Yes.

Pukki is our only proven top quality striker at this level. However suffers at times from a lack of composure in front of goal especially on 1 on 1's. Will he he get the number of chances he needs before hitting the back of the net, I doubt it.

Hugill, signed as alternative to Pukki, a plan B. We'll thought of, good in the air strong but been here long enough to prove he is a squad player nothing more.

Idah, is a worry. His career has stalled. Scored a couple of cracking goals a couple of seasons ago after playing regular for the U23's. Done nothing since. Needs to go on loan to a decent championship club and get the experience of leading the line and scoring regularly.

We need to find a quality striker who has experience of playing at a high level, who's career has stalled, willing to play and can hit the ground running.

Huck's mk2 where are you?

13 hours ago, Indy said:

Idah, if he stays fit needs to start to impose himself into our team, he’s now at an age where he either pushes on or goes out on loan. This has all the hallmarks of Chris Martin, great potential but ultimately never went much past decent championship player.

A lot of posters on here seem to either have not seen, ignored or forgotten that at least one out of the PinkUn guys or Michael Bailey have said clearly that the club rate Idah, believe he has plenty to offer next season and expect him to play much more than last. And we’ve seen he can play alongside a front-man, so there’s your striker who can play on the wing right there. 

In Farke we trust?

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

A lot of posters on here seem to either have not seen, ignored or forgotten that at least one out of the PinkUn guys or Michael Bailey have said clearly that the club rate Idah, believe he has plenty to offer next season and expect him to play much more than last. And we’ve seen he can play alongside a front-man, so there’s your striker who can play on the wing right there.

In Farke we trust?

Yeah, I'm really looking forwards to seeing Idah next season. Physically he's a real handful for opposition players to deal with and that ability to play either as a front man or on the left, should make him a strong PL player, because there is no doubt he knows where the goal is, too.

15 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

In Farke we trust?

While all that’s true, not sure it means we shouldn’t sign another striker.

Correct me if I’m wrong but when Idah was fit again at the end of the season didn’t he usually come on on one of the flanks, with Pukki, rather than as a replacement?

I’ve no doubt they see Idah as a first team player, but personally I feel we need another proven goal scorer to give Pukki real competition.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

In Farke we trust?

The club rated Chris Martin too! My point is exactly that, he needs to step it up, make it hard to be dropped or we’re reliant on one striker to get us the goals again.

I’ve been a great supporter of Idah, he’s got the tools to be a fantastic striker and as you say can play on the wing too. But if he’s doesn’t push for first team football with us, surely playing in the championship on loan will only help his career?

I rate Idah, but currently playing no.2 to Pukki isn't realistic for me and unproven at Premiership level. Needs to work on his positional play but lots of positives with him, but don't agree that this season is best served as back up to Pukki

46 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

In Farke we trust?

Idah doesn't have to go anywhere. At 20 he doesn't count towards the squad limit. However, if he doesn't get much game time, if they have another striker, they have the option of loaning him out for the 2nd half of the season.

The issue now is, who does Idah get ahead of? Is he going to rival Cantwell, Dowell or Rashica? Will he be ahead of Pukki?

The PinkUn guys and Bailey(I think, deffo the former) have suggested that the club would consider loan offers or even a deal for Hugill if it was right. So could that be why we need another striker - if we are taking everything that the PinkUn chaps are saying?

TBF, if I’m citing the PinkUn and Bailey, who are unarguably the most ITK sources, they have also said the club is looking for another striker. But the message about how much the club thought of Idah’s potential was what struck me the most. It would be brilliant if he took the step up this year. Pukki isn’t getting any younger and no matter how much we improve the team in the round, without a source of goals, any club would struggle.

Rashica can also play as a striker but I think really we do need to sign someone. Pukki got off to a great start last time round scoring against Liverpool, Man City, and a hat trick v Newcastle then all of a sudden a goal drought came. Idah did make some appearances in the top flight including the full game at Old Trafford but for me is still unproven at Championship level as he didn’t do much this season. Hugill is not PL standard.

I do hope they sign someone else, whether it be a loan or permanent deal. 

I think if the right deal came along Webber would sign a new striker, and Idah would go on loan.  Hill would stay unless there is an academy player who would benefit from the occasional outing.  I am not expecting another midfielder, Martin needs minutes, unless he goes on loan.

9 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Pukki got off to a great start last time round scoring against Liverpool, Man City, and a hat trick v Newcastle then all of a sudden a goal drought came.

Yep, 11 goals in the first 18 games. Everyone’s aware Pukki’s ‘goal drought’ came after he broke his toe though, right? 

• Like 1

I think the situation would of been different if he came off the back of a decent campaign in the championship, but he hasn't due to injury. I would keep him in the building till January and if not needed put him out on loan

14 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Yep, 11 goals in the first 18 games. Everyone’s aware Pukki’s ‘goal drought’ came after he broke his toe though, right? 

Was it after he broke his toe? Sorry if I got it wrong. I know he broke his toe v Leicester but thought he scored several goals in the first few games then after that was only scoring every now and then

@HazzaJet

I think Leicester was game number 18 from when I looked up his goal tally the other day, Hazza, and after that if I recall rightly he had to play in a boot that was 2 sizes bigger than his usual size, but I think it’s fair to say as he struggled for fitness after that he went off the boil. Happens to the best of them to be fair, Pukki desperately needs a proper, and I mean proper, rest. But I agree with those that say we need another striker on board, we can’t risk Pukki getting injured next season, it’s not an option.

Edited by Alex Moss

Would I like us to sign a new striker? Yes. Like everyone else, I think over reliance on one player is never a good idea.

But the issue I see is the practicality of it. Strikers are the most expensive players to buy for good reason - good strikers are the rarest of beasts in this sport we all enjoy. So to sign a player capable of challenging Pukki would cost what? Adam Armstrong, one year left on his deal at Blackburn and they're looking for £25m for him. The lad Dike from Orlando, one decent half season and all of a sudden they want £17m for him. 

The other consideration is that this player has got to be better than Idah; otherwise, what's the point?

With Pukki obviously in need of a long rest, I think Idah will get chances over the close season. Work hard, impress and I suspect the position will likely be his. If not, maybe we go back into the market to look for someone?  

4 hours ago, smooth said:

Last time in the Premier league we were so short on goals, let's not forget after cantwell we had very few contributors over 2 goals.

Yes it costs money but we need goals, as much a defensive, physical strength is needed, we will need goals. A striker who is not afraid to be greedy, take a shot first time.

My one worry with Pukki is that he likes to take a touch and position himself for his strike. Allowing defenders to recover and keepers to get set, the best strikers in the Premier League take a first time strike

I’d agree with this. And we’re talking about the same Pukki who’s two years older and looks to have carried an injury from Euros into pre season. Plus he’s not an unknown quantity this time. 

How many clean sheets are we likely to get?

Each goal we let in, we'll need to score two for a win.

Can you see our current players scoring two each time we concede? That's not going to happen against Premier League defences. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Can you see our current players scoring two each time we concede? That's not going to happen against Premier League defences. 

Cheers Geoff

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

@HazzaJet

I think Leicester was game number 18 from when I looked up his goal tally the other day, Hazza, and after that if I recall rightly he had to play in a boot that was 2 sizes bigger than his usual size, but I think it’s fair to say as he struggled for fitness after that he went off the boil. Happens to the best of them to be fair, Pukki desperately needs a proper, and I mean proper, rest. But I agree with those that say we need another striker on board, we can’t risk Pukki getting injured next season, it’s not an option.

Didn’t know Pukki had wear a larger boot after his injury, and totally agree with what you’ve said about about him. He plays regularly for club and country and so we need to sign a backup in case he gets injured as Idah isn’t ready, and Hugill can’t cut it 

25 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Plus he’s not an unknown quantity this time. 

I’ve never got this to be honest - as long as there’s been football, there’s been strikers that score goals season after season. It’s all very well knowing those strikers attributes, and becoming a ‘known quantity’ if you like, but stopping them is another matter - history proves that.

Pukki is not ancient or anything, he still potentially has several years left in him. As long as we get him fully fit, and he links up nicely with Rashica and any of the other new signings we make, he will score goals.

Just now, HazzaJet said:

Didn’t know Pukki had wear a larger boot after his injury, and totally agree with what you’ve said about about him. He plays regularly for club and country and so we need to sign a backup in case he gets injured as Idah isn’t ready, and Hugill can’t cut it 

Exactly - I think people at this stage are making more out of something that isn’t there. He’s just scored 26 goals in the league! And we know he wasn’t fit at the Euro’s, playing in a side that preferred a conservative approach that saw very few chances come his way. I’m not sure what people expect given those facts?? Common sense tells me that the guy needs a decent rest both mentally and physically after 2 years football without a break. Then if he comes back fit and suddenly scores 1 in 15 games, then I will join others and start to be concerned. But it doesn’t look that way to me.

This is make-or-break for Idah, who does possess the physicality and pace to hold his own in the Premier League but needs a bit more seasoning. I'd be asking - where does this put Soto? Prime loan candidate?

5 hours ago, Little 'Old' Norwich said:

Definitely Yes.

Pukki is our only proven top quality striker at this level. However suffers at times from a lack of composure in front of goal especially on 1 on 1's. Will he he get the number of chances he needs before hitting the back of the net, I doubt it.

Hugill, signed as alternative to Pukki, a plan B. We'll thought of, good in the air strong but been here long enough to prove he is a squad player nothing more.

Idah, is a worry. His career has stalled. Scored a couple of cracking goals a couple of seasons ago after playing regular for the U23's. Done nothing since. Needs to go on loan to a decent championship club and get the experience of leading the line and scoring regularly.

We need to find a quality striker who has experience of playing at a high level, who's career has stalled, willing to play and can hit the ground running.

Huck's mk2 where are you?

Proven?

Three good months.

Not for me.

1 hour ago, TheGoogler said:

Would I like us to sign a new striker? Yes. Like everyone else, I think over reliance on one player is never a good idea.

But the issue I see is the practicality of it. Strikers are the most expensive players to buy for good reason - good strikers are the rarest of beasts in this sport we all enjoy. So to sign a player capable of challenging Pukki would cost what? Adam Armstrong, one year left on his deal at Blackburn and they're looking for £25m for him. The lad Dike from Orlando, one decent half season and all of a sudden they want £17m for him. 

The other consideration is that this player has got to be better than Idah; otherwise, what's the point?

With Pukki obviously in need of a long rest, I think Idah will get chances over the close season. Work hard, impress and I suspect the position will likely be his. If not, maybe we go back into the market to look for someone?  

Strikers cost good money, strikers proven to score regularly in a decent league cost a lot.

These are facts that can’t be ignored but doesn’t change that we need somebody extra IMO.

Relying on Pukki staying fit/sharp and gambling on Idah stepping up is just that, a big gamble IMO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

In Farke we trust?

I hadn't not seen or ignored or forgotten, but even when they were saying that they were also saying the club was still looking for someone who could play out wide but also as a striker if needed. Which suggests to me that even if Farke rates Idah to be more significant next season than last he still doesn't regard him as that missing dual-role piece of the squad. Perhaps Rashica is.

3 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

This is make-or-break for Idah, who does possess the physicality and pace to hold his own in the Premier League but needs a bit more seasoning. I'd be asking - where does this put Soto? Prime loan candidate?

Soto will be on loan in Portugal next season…

1 minute ago, YellowSubmarine said:

Soto will be on loan in Portugal next season…

Have we any sources for that, please? Would be interesting to see what team he's with - and if he's in the top flight in Portugal or not.

4 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Have we any sources for that, please? Would be interesting to see what team he's with - and if he's in the top flight in Portugal or not.

Top for both questions. 

Nick Powell plays as an AM and striker and is the Stoke player of the season. In the last year of his contract with Stoke so should be low cost.

5 hours ago, Number9 said:

No, because then we would win the league being unbeaten (or draw a helluva lot of games 0-0)