Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Our project and the Villa project

Reading more on Pinkun it's finally dawned on some of them that Buendia, Grealish and Watkins might be a decent combination. 

I mean how do they think teams get better and crack the top 6? 

It's really dawned on me how little fans of other teams know about our project. 

He really is their Grealish.  They've all utterly convinced he's ready for a Champions League team now. Been described as the best player they've ever had play for them, bearing in mind Maddison was there that's sure encouraging. 

I understand how they feel, it would have been like us seeing Grealish going to Spurs a couple of years ago. But the total disrespect of us is quite shocking. 

I've never really had any thoughts about or beef with Norwich but I hope they are relegated as the worst team ever and this is entirely down to the tirade against us on Pinkun. 

That’s a Villa take on it, can’t really argue. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

Interesting point in there.

Grealish turned down Spurs a year or two ago and now he has Man City pushing hard for him.

If Buendia had turned down Villa...

That's why we're a little bit peeved, or I am at least. If Emi has decided that Villa is the best club for him right now them fair enough, it's his decision, but I'm convinced that he has the quality to play for a top club sooner or later which is why it's disappointing to see him go to a mid-table side. He could've done a Grealish and waited for someone bigger until next summer or even January.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Interesting point in there.

Grealish turned down Spurs a year or two ago and now he has Man City pushing hard for him.

If Buendia had turned down Villa...

That's why we're a little bit peeved, or I am at least. If Emi has decided that Villa is the best club for him right now them fair enough, it's his decision, but I'm convinced that he has the quality to play for a top club sooner or later which is why it's disappointing to see him go to a mid-table side. He could've done a Grealish and waited for someone bigger until next summer or even January.

But he did wait the last time we were promoted and we went down with a whimper and he stayed another year. Villa stayed up and improved as a premier league team.

1 minute ago, KiwiScot said:

But he did wait the last time we were promoted and we went down with a whimper and he stayed another year. Villa stayed up and improved as a premier league team.

Like how Grealish waited when Villa went down with a whimper in 2016 and he stayed. They got promoted, Grealish was linked with Spurs, he didn't demand the move and now he has Man City- allegedly- interested in him.

I'll admit that the fact Grealish is a Villa fan and a local boy changes things, because otherwise he would've cleared off long before now, but the point remains: Buendia could've waited for a bigger club, like Grealish has, rather than sign up for mid-table purgatory, as I'm sure that he has the talent to attract a big club and Villa would be harder to force a move from.

However, as I've said, I do understand the move from Buendia's point of view, but I'm just slightly disappointed by it. 

• Like 1

Grealish has been on over £100k a week for all that time though. That must have helped him stay. 

I have no problem with taking Villa's money. I think it's a very bad move for Emi, in so many ways, but he's made his bed.

Aston Villa found new mega wealthy owners twice in about a year: on the second occasion they did it in about 2 weeks and ended up with their current owners. At that time there was noting between the two clubs. Now look at us.

Ok they are a bit bigger than us historically but fundamentally they found those owners because they actually tried to find them and the club was genuinely for sale. That is the difference.

• Like 2

Let's not forget their "project" (aka letting a billionaire throw money at them) is only alive because some incompetent didn't turn on the goal line technology. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Let's not forget their "project" (aka letting a billionaire throw money at them) is only alive because some incompetent didn't turn on the goal line technology. 

And they scraped through the play-off final which, if they had lost, would have almost certainly gone into administration.

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Ok they are a bit bigger than us historically but fundamentally they found those owners because they actually tried to find them and the club was genuinely for sale. That is the difference.

A “bit” bigger than us historically? Take off the yellow tinted glasses Jim. Biggest team by far in   England’s second city, and only Wolves and / or Birmingham to compete with in a huge catchment area. 

2 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

And they scraped through the play-off final which, if they had lost, would have almost certainly gone into administration.

That’s only like us getting promoted and escaping admin. Don’t forget we have been very close on two occasions!

If they keep Grealish, Watkins, and Traore together with the addition of Buendia, I really reckon they could hit Europe. Our rivals next season are pretty much from Watford, Brentford, Burnley, Palace, Brighton, Newcastle. Wouldn't completely rule out Southampton and maybe Wolves from that list as well but IMO it's probably between those six and ourselves for the bottom three.

4 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I'm not sure why you keep ignoring the fact that for many years Delia made it clear that the club was available for sale to an appropriate buyer committed to safeguarding and improving the club. No one meeting those basic criteria has ever come forward. Frankly you should thank God she didn't sell out to a far wealthier individual only interested in asset stripping. Go ask the lot down the road what it's like to have a billionaire owner, or Bolton, or Portsmouth, or Sunderland or ...

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-financial-results-nswe-20353613

At the moment Villa are financially stable purely because of the beneficence of extremely wealthy owners who have covered massive financial losses. If those owners lose the will or financial ability to continue that project they will be in serious trouble. Call me a "happy clapper", call me "lacking in ambition", but I absolutely love the fact that our club has embraced a self-financing model which keeps us free of the threat of self-destruction at the whim of a feckless owner. 

Football finances throughout the game have been a dreadful mess for many years and, post covid, we are likely to see many clubs struggle to survive, and not just those in the lower leagues. The threatened break-away European Super League would also have seen many clubs in the PL (like Villa, et al) in genuinely serious trouble as Sky's massive financing would have drained away. Many experts still believe that something like this will happen at some point in the near future. Frankly, the business model of the majority of clubs would be unsustainable in most other areas of industry (for example, the wage to income ratio is often unsustainable under normal circumstances). Arguably, a day of reckoning is long overdue for football regarding its financial security and probity. Perhaps a big reset which sees football taken back from billionaires, corporations, and conglomerates, and returned to fans largely funding the game through stepping through the turnstiles wouldn't be such a bad thing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

If they keep Grealish, Watkins, and Traore together with the addition of Buendia, I really reckon they could hit Europe. Our rivals next season are pretty much from Watford, Brentford, Burnley, Palace, Brighton, Newcastle. Wouldn't completely rule out Southampton and maybe Wolves from that list as well but IMO it's probably between those six and ourselves for the bottom three.

Palace? Basically released half their squad.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Palace? Basically released half their squad.

That's exactly why I see them as probable relegation rivals! Not to mention add a new manager and Eze's out for a prolonged period.

Edited by TheGunnShow

15 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

That's exactly why I see them as probable relegation rivals! Not to mention add a new manager and Eze's out for a prolonged period.

Ah sorry, for some reason I thought you hadn't listed Palace so I was suggesting them. Should have read twice! 

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Ah sorry, for some reason I thought you hadn't listed Palace so I was suggesting them. Should have read twice! 

We've all done it, no worries! 🙂

4 hours ago, Surfer said:

A “bit” bigger than us historically? Take off the yellow tinted glasses Jim. Biggest team by far in   England’s second city, and only Wolves and / or Birmingham to compete with in a huge catchment area. 

They are not that much bigger than us. We were going head to head with them in the 90s and 3 years ago were ahead of them in football terms. Yes they have a bigger support base but they are also trying to maximise their potential under wealthy owners.

we are doing the opposite. We are wasting opportunities and imposing a cap on our potential just to keep the owners in charge of the club. We make and keep ourselves small. Don’t expand the ground, don’t try and stay up. It even suits Webber to a degree as there is no pressure/expectation on him to keep us up and shy relative success in getting promoted makes him look good given the resources we have.

This sort of sale is the consequence and it hurts. 

7 hours ago, Surfer said:

Within 50 miles (roughly the distance from us to Ipswich) there are:

Birmingham

Leicester

Stoke

West Brom

Wolves

Notts Forest

Coventry

Derby

This post is just factually incorrect. Although Villa are a bigger club than us, it's not by much and they are nowhere near a mega club like Arsenal undoubtedly are. They havent had a top half finish in a decade. Thats top half. Not Europe.

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

They are not that much bigger than us. We were going head to head with them in the 90s and 3 years ago were ahead of them in football terms. Yes they have a bigger support base but they are also trying to maximise their potential under wealthy owners.

we are doing the opposite. We are wasting opportunities and imposing a cap on our potential just to keep the owners in charge of the club. We make and keep ourselves small. Don’t expand the ground, don’t try and stay up. It even suits Webber to a degree as there is no pressure/expectation on him to keep us up and shy relative success in getting promoted makes him look good given the resources we have.

This sort of sale is the consequence and it hurts. 

Villa are a lot bigger than us, how can you even believe they aren’t?

The whole who is bigger is a red herring. Emi doesn't care that the club he's signing for wpn a few cups in the 70's and 80's. Its about what the respective clubs can offer him now. Personally I don't think the lure of working with Dean Smith at a club that finished 11th last season and 17th the season before is all that but what they clearly can offer him is ambition and money. Two things sorely lacking here.

5 hours ago, horsefly said:

I'm not sure why you keep ignoring the fact that for many years Delia made it clear that the club was available for sale to an appropriate buyer committed to safeguarding and improving the club. No one meeting those basic criteria has ever come forward. Frankly you should thank God she didn't sell out to a far wealthier individual only interested in asset stripping. Go ask the lot down the road what it's like to have a billionaire owner, or Bolton, or Portsmouth, or Sunderland or ...

So she says. I don’t believe it has ever been available, not in recent years anyway 

10 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Aston Villa found new mega wealthy owners twice in about a year: on the second occasion they did it in about 2 weeks and ended up with their current owners. At that time there was noting between the two clubs. Now look at us.

Shhh some here don't like truth. 

They believe that guff Delia spouts

5 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

So she says. I don’t believe it has ever been available, not in recent years anyway 

So you're claiming Delia has blatantly lied about this? Do you honestly believe that's even remotely likely?

Edited by horsefly

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

You say she is lying. I believe she is telling the truth. But in any event, whether she wanted to sell or not, if the right person with the right offer came along and sold it to the whole Norfolk community (not just NCFC fans) in the right way then she simply would not be able to stand against it.

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

So you're claiming Delia has blatently lied about this? Do you honestly believe that's even remotely likely?

I do not believe she wants to sell. The Times article backs up what many of us believe.

Just now, Kenny Foggo said:

I do not believe she wants to sell. The Times article backs up what many of us believe.

Agreed. She says she has looked for investment- but that is with her retaining control. Unsurprisingly this hasn’t materialised. What I bet she hasn’t looked for is someone who would take it on without her involvement. The club is very precious to her/ that brings good and ill. Tbe ill is a struggle to let go.  

5 hours ago, horsefly said:

So you're claiming Delia has blatently lied about this? Do you honestly believe that's even remotely likely?

Yes I do. They change the story every time they are asked. The Times interview was a window to the truth. The only time I believe they have genuinely been open to it was many years ago when they asked that London based guy to look for investors but even then I bet the criteria was pretty tight.