Why would we be interested in Canoes? 

Oh, Canos, not Canoes. 

We love a bit of add-on! 

11 hours ago, HB1989 said:

Yes, I believe it to be £500k or £1m.

£1m would be pretty good.  Cost us a reported 4.5m,  sold him for a reported 2.5m so another million would be very welcome in the scheme of things.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Cost us a reported 4.5m

Really ? I didn’t think it was anything like that 

3 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Really ? I didn’t think it was anything like that 

It wasn't. £2.5mil. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

£1m would be pretty good.  Cost us a reported 4.5m,  sold him for a reported 2.5m so another million would be very welcome in the scheme of things.

Not reported by anyone on planet earth. 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Honestly pretty pleased to see him doing well, proved me wrong

It's been touch and go for him at Brentford though hasn't it? Not always been the favourite. His stats look ok for this season. A bit of an odd signing in that he would appear, on paper, to be exactly the sort of Webber/Farke player. But he went pretty quick. 

LOL at spending £4.5 Mill on Canos.

Can't see him having much impact next season.

Edited by CDMullins

I think the Canos situation shows a couple of things...

1- Alex Neil is **** poor judge of players. He wanted rid of Maddison and bombed Canos out with barely any playing time. However since then Canos has proven to be at least a very decent upper level Championship player and will likely get some Premier League minutes next season while Neil will likely end up at a Championship relegation scrapper at best.

2- the 'the manager knows more than you and knows what he's doing so shut up' argument many on here like to deploy doesn't always work. I remember being told this by quite a few when I dared to suggest Neil might be not be using Canos to the best of his ability while continuing to play dross like Naismith. Turns out in this case Neil probably didn't know what he was doing.

Not that I'm bitter or anything...

• Like 1

Always felt Canos had more to offer than he got to show during his time here, but he's only ever been solid if unspectacular since he left. I don't think he would be bursting into our staying XI any time soon, miles behind Emi and Dowell in terms of ability I would think. Reminds me of Surman

Edited by AJ

3 hours ago, king canary said:

1- Alex Neil is **** poor judge of players. He wanted rid of Maddison and bombed Canos out with barely any playing time. However since then Canos has proven to be at least a very decent upper level Championship player and will likely get some Premier League minutes next season while Neil will likely end up at a Championship relegation scrapper at best.

2- the 'the manager knows more than you and knows what he's doing so shut up' argument many on here like to deploy doesn't always work. I remember being told this by quite a few when I dared to suggest Neil might be not be using Canos to the best of his ability while continuing to play dross like Naismith. Turns out in this case Neil probably didn't know what he was doing.

1) I’d like to see your record at getting a team like Preston close to the playoffs, or a team like us promoted 

2) Stopped clock and all that...

4 hours ago, king canary said:

It was Neil's first proper managerial rodeo, the philosophy of the club was also wrong given how much dead wood we already had in the squad. Great for getting promoted, not so great for keeping us up. He's definitely a decent man manager, think he could have done okay on our current setup where someone could handle bringing in the right players

4 hours ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

Quite so - everyone at the time reported that we got what we paid for Canos, so no idea at all where the idea comes from that we lost on the deal.

19 hours ago, Wrathofthefarkely said:

Liverpool FC History site - "Canos was signed by Norwich City on 13 July 2016 for £2.5m, rising to £4.5m"  

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Liverpool FC History site - "Canos was signed by Norwich City on 13 July 2016 for £2.5m, rising to £4.5m"  

So we did not shell out £4.5 m then Lakey.

Not forgetting we had the Murphy twins, Pritchard and Wildschutt. Plus Dorrans was perfectly adept at playing out wide 🤪

Neil is a decent coach but give him money and he'll waste most of it.

• Like 1

Canos does seem to have added a defensive side to his game and he was always good going forward. Very grateful that he fell over rather than tap in the opening goal when we played them though - that was Timo Werner finishing at it's very best!

On 30/05/2021 at 19:34, king canary said:

This was Canos best season at this level, and it's come FOUR years after he left us. Before that, he's been a bit part player for Brentford and generally had bang average figures.

That season you're referring to, wes had 7 goals 10 assists, pritchard had 6 goals and 7 assists, jacob had 9 goals and 6 assists, Dorrans had 6 goals, heck even Naismith had 5. It took 2 years after leaving us for Canos to get 7 goals.

It's entirely arguable that Maddison going out on loan and getting experience was the right thing with Wes and Pritchard performing ahead of him - and equally arguable that Canos was too raw to offer better than any of the other players i've listed above.

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

This was Canos best season at this level, and it's come FOUR years after he left us. Before that, he's been a bit part player for Brentford and generally had bang average figures.

That season you're referring to, wes had 7 goals 10 assists, pritchard had 6 goals and 7 assists, jacob had 9 goals and 6 assists, Dorrans had 6 goals, heck even Naismith had 5. It took 2 years after leaving us for Canos to get 7 goals.

It's entirely arguable that Maddison going out on loan and getting experience was the right thing with Wes and Pritchard performing ahead of him - and equally arguable that Canos was too raw to offer better than any of the other players i've listed above.

Over 150 appearances in 3.5 seasons equates to a bit part player? Fair enough. 

• Like 1

I think Canos' 6 months at Norwich just shows how disconnected Norwich's recruitment was - why buy him when there were a whole raft of players who could play his position? Did Alex Neil ever want him, or was this a signing made by someone else as they thought he was a good talent?

Also, why when the club was obviously well stacked in that position did they then go out and sign Pritchard? They seemed to charge through windows with no overall strategy and just bought whoever came available, regardless of who was already at the club. The positions that really needed strengthening that window was centre forward and central defender but the club spend £10m on attacking midfielders despite having Wes/J. Murphy x2/Maddison/Naismith in the building. Barmy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Over 150 appearances in 3.5 seasons equates to a bit part player? Fair enough. 

2017-2020 (3 seasons) = 53 starts, averaging 17 starts a season. If you start less than half the amount of league games a season, then yes you're more of a bit part player.

39 minutes ago, hogesar said:

All good but we gave him what? One game I believe? And then turfed him out 6 months later. As much as you can try and justify it, it was dumb then and it looks dumber now. 

• Like 1

Just now, king canary said:

All good but we gave him what? One game I believe? And then turfed him out 6 months later. As much as you can try and justify it, it was dumb then and it looks dumber now. 

I think the stupid bit was signing him in the first place personally, unless we had a clear development route for him (which we clearly didn't)

22 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think Canos' 6 months at Norwich just shows how disconnected Norwich's recruitment was - why buy him when there were a whole raft of players who could play his position? Did Alex Neil ever want him, or was this a signing made by someone else as they thought he was a good talent?

Also, why when the club was obviously well stacked in that position did they then go out and sign Pritchard? They seemed to charge through windows with no overall strategy and just bought whoever came available, regardless of who was already at the club. The positions that really needed strengthening that window was centre forward and central defender but the club spend £10m on attacking midfielders despite having Wes/J. Murphy x2/Maddison/Naismith in the building. Barmy.

Yeah our transfer strategy was awful at that point. Pritchard the best example obviously 6 months later we then sold every left back we owned in one window.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think the stupid bit was signing him in the first place personally, unless we had a clear development route for him (which we clearly didn't)

I don't generally think signing a 19 year old midfielder with some decent pedigree and a season of Championship football under his belt is dumb. It is dumb to then never, ever let him play, even just 10/15 off the bench. Naismith got 30 games that season and was consistently awful, even Kyle Lafferty got more minutes! I'm not saying Canos should have been starting week in week out but I'd wager he would have offered more than those two and might have been someone we could have sold for a decent profit a couple of seasons later just like the Murphy's. 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

2017-2020 (3 seasons) = 53 starts, averaging 17 starts a season. If you start less than half the amount of league games a season, then yes you're more of a bit part player.

The man was out with a knee injury for nearly a year. When all said and done his stats are quite impressive.