13 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't generally think signing a 19 year old midfielder with some decent pedigree and a season of Championship football under his belt is dumb. It is dumb to then never, ever let him play, even just 10/15 off the bench. Naismith got 30 games that season and was consistently awful, even Kyle Lafferty got more minutes! I'm not saying Canos should have been starting week in week out but I'd wager he would have offered more than those two and might have been someone we could have sold for a decent profit a couple of seasons later just like the Murphy's. 

It's dumb if you're well stocked in those areas (in my opinion) - unless like I said, we had a development pathway for him - like we do now - which quite clearly we didn't back then. It looks stupid not playing him because we literally done nothing with him - but I don't think he would have done better than the players I listed previously - he should have been on loan somewhere. 

I do think he understandably, if what he told me is true, kicked-off about his lack of playtime which likely didn't help. He said he was told he was coming here to play a lot of games, start a lot of games  (he lived in one of my business partners properties, so met him a few times). 

2 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The man was out with a knee injury for nearly a year. When all said and done his stats are quite impressive. 

Ah, I have no idea about his injury history. All I can say is he started most games this season but never more than half in any of his other seasons with Brentford (who for the most part have been below us in the football hierarchy).

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It's dumb if you're well stocked in those areas (in my opinion) - unless like I said, we had a development pathway for him - like we do now - which quite clearly we didn't back then. It looks stupid not playing him because we literally done nothing with him - but I don't think he would have done better than the players I listed previously - he should have been on loan somewhere. 

I do think he understandably, if what he told me is true, kicked-off about his lack of playtime which likely didn't help. He said he was told he was coming here to play a lot of games, start a lot of games  (he lived in one of my business partners properties, so met him a few times). 

So we agree Alex Neil was stupid then?

And that always suggesting the manager knows best in these situations might not be the case...

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

So we agree Alex Neil was stupid then?

And that always suggesting the manager knows best in these situations might not be the case...

If Alex Neil signed him then yes he was stupid.

If he was signed by McNally and promised game time which the manager didn't agree with then no. But we don't know the intricacies and it always comes down to the fact that we as fans have nothing on the line when we make these judgement calls. Alex Neil had his career on the line and more experience in football than you or I to make those decision. So it's likely he made the better call. There's nothing to say that our results might not have been worse with Canos playing more for us.

Saw him play for us in the 6-1 thrashing of (an admittedly poor) Coventry in the EFL cup and he was the best player on the pitch. Godfrey and Maddison also played in that game from memory along with one or both of the Murphys. I couldn't believe that he didn't get into the first team after that, I know it was one game in isolation but he looked a hell of a player. Perhaps he didn't train well, but certainly looked good enough to get into the first team at the time.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Ah, I have no idea about his injury history. All I can say is he started most games this season but never more than half in any of his other seasons with Brentford (who for the most part have been below us in the football hierarchy).

By your reckoning Brentford might be lucky to break even on him if sold. One swallow doesn’t make a summer and all that. Personally I’d guess they’d want £10m + right now if you put a value on him. 

6 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

By your reckoning Brentford might be lucky to break even on him if sold. One swallow doesn’t make a summer and all that. Personally I’d guess they’d want £10m + right now if you put a value on him. 

I think they'd put that price tag on him but don't see anyone paying it.

6 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think they'd put that price tag on him but don't see anyone paying it.

It might be us! Emi replacement 😊