Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

26 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

My only concern with Tzolis is the expectation will be high on him to perform from the off, in a new league and country, it may take him some time to adjust & therefore produce. The same applies to Rashica. Two clearly good players, but the fanbase may get on their backs early if they dont produce.

Surely not, Norwich fans never scapegoat anyone or give them grief. Northing but supportive and patient!! 😂

But seriously, I agree 100%

54 minutes ago, WD40 said:

A lot of the highlights have Giannoulis overlapping Tzolis on the left hand side when they both played for PAOK…we may see that again in yellow and green

Pinkun article on the relationship between Giannoulis and Tzolis:

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/giannoulis-knows-all-about-reported-ncfc-target-tzolis-8198414

So if we do get Tzolis, what does that mean for Hernandez and Placheta? There's been very little rumour about potential outgoings

3 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

So if we do get Tzolis, what does that mean for Hernandez and Placheta? There's been very little rumour about potential outgoings

Both would be used as impact subs or loaned out.

Interestint to note at this stage of the Tzolis transfer saga (which its turning into a little now) no communication has taken place yet between club and player.

1 minute ago, Danke bitte said:

Nothing necessarily. At least not for the moment. Placheta has been deployed as a wing back in pre-season, he is clearly rated by Farke. I suspect if anyone goes out on loan it'd be him. But both he and Hernandez represent genuine pace, Hernandez also adds physicality - he is quite an underrated player by a number of NCFC fans. Probably our best performer during project lockdown and has the ability to surge forward and be unpredictable, which makes defenders uncomfortable.

We have plenty of squad space so I suspect that we'll at best see a loan for Placheta, that's it.

AM: Cantwell, Dowell, Rashica, Hernandez, Placheta, Tzolis.

Six players for three positions, that is about right. Plenty of choice, pace, directness or width and crossing etc. Two of them can also offer an option alongside a striker. Quite exciting really. Arguably would be our deepest line up for that area of the pitch that we have seen for a long time, especially in quality.

6 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Both would be used as impact subs or loaned out.

Interestint to note at this stage of the Tzolis transfer saga (which its turning into a little now) no communication has taken place yet between club and player.

According to one of the more reliable reporters in Greece, Norwich and Tzolis have already agreed personal terms. 

I’d find it hard to believe that Norwich would get onto a third bid without having already agreed with the player in principal. How much they will have to pay him, impacts how much they can afford to bid for him. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

According to one of the more reliable reporters in Greece, Norwich and Tzolis have already agreed personal terms. 

I’d find it hard to believe that Norwich would get onto a third bid without having already agreed with the player in principal. How much they will have to pay him, impacts how much they can afford to bid for him. 

Bethnal, which Greek reporters are you keeping an eye on out of interest?

Thanks in advance.

11 minutes ago, chicken said:

Nothing necessarily. At least not for the moment. Placheta has been deployed as a wing back in pre-season, he is clearly rated by Farke. I suspect if anyone goes out on loan it'd be him. 

Genuine question though: is he rated by Farke?

Placheta couldn't really get a look in during the second half of last season, although admittedly he had problems settling, apparently. This pre-season he has been starting at left wing back and left back, but is that because Farke has decided he isn't a winger and wants to give him a chance in another role, or is that purely because we have no other options to play there and Placheta just happens to still be on our books?

Placheta may well be rated by Farke, but I'm not convinced there's hard evidence to support it right now.

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Placheta couldn't really get a look in during the second half of last season, although admittedly he had problems settling, apparently. This pre-season he has been starting at left wing back and left back, but is that because Farke has decided he isn't a winger and wants to give him a chance in another role, or is that purely because we have no other options to play there and Placheta just happens to still be on our books?

Placheta may well be rated by Farke, but I'm not convinced there's hard evidence to support it right now.

That is my take too.

A few years back Farke did the same experiment with Wildschut and then decided he wasn't for him. I'm not sure I view Placheta being tried at wing back as evidence Farke rates him- you can equally argue it shows Farke doesn't really see him as good enough as a winger so we're trying him out elsewhere to see if he can offer more there.

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Although I can't point you to a link, Farke gave an interview early on in which he said after watching Placheta in training he considered him to be "the real deal", and spoke in glowing colours about his potential. Whether that's still his feeling I don't know.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

you can equally argue it shows Farke doesn't really see him as good enough as a winger so we're trying him out elsewhere to see if he can offer more there.

Or, he's simply looking to see if Placheta can provide LB cover since we have yet to buy anyone to provide that role (and Byram's injury record remains very worrying).

9 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Bethnal, which Greek reporters are you keeping an eye on out of interest?

Thanks in advance.

@LianosKostas

@choria80

@NikosToskitsis

These three seem the ones to keep an eye on. 

• Thanks 1

Placheta could be a real asset for us if he utilised his pace more. Even in the Premier League he’d be one of the quickest players in the league you’d imagine and yet he just won’t take a fullback on. Whether that’s just a lack of confidence or not I don’t know. His brief cameo in the Euros was half decent. I have a feeling if Farke wants to transition to a more counter attacking style of play then Placheta will be kept around to be used as an impact sub. 

16 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Although I can't point you to a link, Farke gave an interview early on in which he said after watching Placheta in training he considered him to be "the real deal", and spoke in glowing colours about his potential. Whether that's still his feeling I don't know.

To be fair though, you wouldn't expect him to say anything else if he was asked a direct question. And if he was being genuine, you say that quote was a long time ago.

I just don't think we've seen from Farke's actions and Placheta's performances that Farke does indeed rate him that highly.

3 minutes ago, Jpootz said:

Placheta could be a real asset for us if he utilised his pace more. Even in the Premier League he’d be one of the quickest players in the league you’d imagine and yet he just won’t take a fullback on. Whether that’s just a lack of confidence or not I don’t know. His brief cameo in the Euros was half decent. I have a feeling if Farke wants to transition to a more counter attacking style of play then Placheta will be kept around to be used as an impact sub. 

Yeah, he seems determined to cut back onto his (much) weaker right-foot rather than getting past his man. He's a bit frustrating to watch, but hopefully his decision-making can be improved.

15 minutes ago, king canary said:

That is my take too.

A few years back Farke did the same experiment with Wildschut and then decided he wasn't for him. I'm not sure I view Placheta being tried at wing back as evidence Farke rates him- you can equally argue it shows Farke doesn't really see him as good enough as a winger so we're trying him out elsewhere to see if he can offer more there.

It's quite common for players that start out as wingers to move to wing back or right back role. In todays' game a player has to be adaptable and show they can fulfil different roles for the team. In a Farke team especially, that ability to adapt is important.

Placheta reminds me a bit of Redmond at a similar stage of his development - trying to find the right balance in his play to know when to take players on, when to cross, when to track back etc etc.  Fo ra player with a lot of talent, there is a lot to get right. If Farke reckons he's good enough, that's good enough for me.

3 minutes ago, Jpootz said:

Even in the Premier League he’d be one of the quickest players in the league you’d imagine and yet he just won’t take a fullback on. Whether that’s just a lack of confidence or not I don’t know.

I think that's a lot more to do with instructions from Farke. With Pukki as striker we just don't play the traditional winger role of speeding past the full backs and whipping in crosses. Farke seems to prefer attacking midfielders to cut inside and thread balls through on the ground. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jpootz said:

Farke's style doesn't really suit quick wingers, he wants everything to go through the middle of the pitch and even if Placheta could beat his full back on the outside, there wouldn't really be anyone to cross to in the box. With the full-backs providing the width poor Placheta just seemed to get in the way more than anything. He is a traditional winger who wants to stay wide, burst to the byline and whip in a cross, but that isn't going to work with Pukki and I guess Farke told him to not do it. 

Hernandez, who has been the only pacy wide player that has ever got much of a return under Farke, will constantly come inside to narrow the attack, he also has better close control that Placheta and beats defenders with dribbles, rather than just pace.

Every team sat so deep against Norwich in the Championship there just wasn't room to use pace - that may be different in the Prem. I suspect if Norwich can land a winger, that Placheta will be loaned out somewhere.

14 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Farke's style doesn't really suit quick wingers, he wants everything to go through the middle of the pitch and even if Placheta could beat his full back on the outside, there wouldn't really be anyone to cross to in the box.

Surely Rashica and Tzolis suggest an edit to this system though?

1 minute ago, WSM said:

That will be the test, can Farke get the most out of Rashica? Although he doesn't really play like a winger and is more like Hernandez in that he comes inside a lot.

Tzolis isn't actually that rapid - he has a decent turn of pace but I wouldn't call him a 'speedy winger'. 

3 minutes ago, WSM said:

I can't comment on Tzolis, but I don't think Rashica is a 'chalk on Boots' type winger. He seems far more comfortable coming infield and cutting inside, so can't really be classed as a winger as such.

14 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Farke's style doesn't really suit quick wingers, he wants everything to go through the middle of the pitch and even if Placheta could beat his full back on the outside, there wouldn't really be anyone to cross to in the box. With the full-backs providing the width poor Placheta just seemed to get in the way more than anything. He is a traditional winger who wants to stay wide, burst to the byline and whip in a cross, but that isn't going to work with Pukki and I guess Farke told him to not do it. 

Hernandez, who has been the only pacy wide player that has ever got much of a return under Farke, will constantly come inside to narrow the attack, he also has better close control that Placheta and beats defenders with dribbles, rather than just pace.

Every team sat so deep against Norwich in the Championship there just wasn't room to use pace - that may be different in the Prem. I suspect if Norwich can land a winger, that Placheta will be loaned out somewhere.

Which begs the question why we signed him. 

It seemed a tad like we were recruiting players with the attributes that we lacked last time in the PL, than players who would fit in with Farke's style of play. 

Placheta, for me, looked like he was signed as an attacking Plan B with a more traditional target man with the aim of winging balls in to him, but with the pace and physicality where he could be trained to play more as a wing-back, where he's played for Poland, incidentally. He certainly dumped one on Hugill's head in the FA Cup win at Coventry, and played a part in the move that cut up the middle of the Coventry defence for McLean to score the first.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Nothing necessarily. At least not for the moment. Placheta has been deployed as a wing back in pre-season, he is clearly rated by Farke. I suspect if anyone goes out on loan it'd be him. But both he and Hernandez represent genuine pace, Hernandez also adds physicality - he is quite an underrated player by a number of NCFC fans. Probably our best performer during project lockdown and has the ability to surge forward and be unpredictable, which makes defenders uncomfortable.

We have plenty of squad space so I suspect that we'll at best see a loan for Placheta, that's it.

AM: Cantwell, Dowell, Rashica, Hernandez, Placheta, Tzolis.

Six players for three positions, that is about right. Plenty of choice, pace, directness or width and crossing etc. Two of them can also offer an option alongside a striker. Quite exciting really. Arguably would be our deepest line up for that area of the pitch that we have seen for a long time, especially in quality.

I thought Hernandez far outshined the other wingers when he came on against Huddersfield, I think. 

I can't see him really going anywhere. He's a Norwich boy now and Farke likes him. I think he'll stay. Placheta possibly to go out on loan 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yellow and Green said:

Which begs the question why we signed him. 

It seemed a tad like we were recruiting players with the attributes that we lacked last time in the PL, than players who would fit in with Farke's style of play. 

I think there is a couple of reasons - Kieran Scott said that Placheta was way out on his own as an outlier for pace and accelations. So he is exceptional talent in that regard, knowing that and that it wouldn't be that difficult to sign him probably flagged interest. Super fast players can often make impacts even if their end product is a little iffy, especially with good coaching - look at Traore at Wolves - a bit of careful coaching from Nuno turned him from someone who couldn't find his own team mate with a pass to a dangerous attacker.

I suspect Placheta was also signed with a view to the longer term - hoping to get him in while Norwich are in the Championship and he could acclimatise before having to play in the Prem. I also suspect they thought one of Buenida or Cantwell would go, so there would be more opportunities for Placheta.

Norwich very much approached last season's transfers as players that could step up to the Premier League (maybe except Hugill who was a plan B against deep defences). Giannoulis, Gibson, Dowell etc were all seen as Premier League quality players who they could sign straight away. 

For all the talk about Placheta's pace, he can't really use it as he hasn't got the close control to dribble past players. Hernandez might be slower in a sprint race but his better technique allows him to dribble at a faster pace than Placheta. When Placheta runs with the ball he doesn't cover ground quickly at all. 

I only see Placheta's pace as useful with balls over the top or through balls for him to run onto, but as has been said teams sat so deep against us last year we couldn't really play Placheta in this way. If he can improve his dribbling he could be a dangerous player but even next year many teams who play on the counter will sit deep against us. 

I think he needs a loan to Holland or maybe Spain to sharpen up his technique and in game decision making. I don't see him causing PL teams any problems at all next year. 

I’ve just never seen us play in a way that has looked to make the most of Placheta’s strengths, and more often then not he himself looks to get involved in the short quick passing game, which isn’t his strength. He needs the service and freedom to get the best out of him, but I can’t help but feel we’ve progressed as a club faster than he has. I think it’s a gamble signing that hasn’t quite taken off, I think the next 12 months will decide his fate one way or another.

Just a bit bored with no real news to report - and not NCFC related, but wondered what thoughts are on Kane…I think I’m kind of with Simon Jordan

The point is that any ‘agreement’ they had would have been dependent on Spuds getting an acceptable offer, which hasn’t happened.  Until it does he should train properly.  Players can’t be allowed to treat clubs/supporters with such disdain, and this guy is meant to be captain of the national side.