Sign in to follow this  
Mullet

If we keep our key players in January we will win the Championship

Just my opinion but next month is now crucial to us being champions.

I've seen enough to think we are the best team in this division. We are top of the tree despite having 13 injuries. We beat teams with a lot of our second choice players in team, and some playing out of position. Our extensive squad is slowly coming back to full strength.

We have more than one way of playing. We own this league. 

Only losing the likes of Buendia and Max could derail us

10 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

As well as keeping our current players- I’d like to see us signing a couple ! Let’s say a left back and another centre forward .....

We can always bring back McCallum, and anybody heard of that 'Srbeny' guy at Padderborn? Doing pretty decent for them and German too, wonder if we should bring him here?

😉

Don't think anyone will want to leave in Jan.

They have started a job that they'll be keen to finish and that will get them to where they want to go.

They will stay and we will walk this league.

What happens after that depends on whether we give them the support they deserve in the summer by significantly strenghtening the squad.

They've experienced a lack of PL ambition once and they won't want to have another season of PL Inferiority followed by another relegation.

• Like 1

The key for me is getting everyone back fit and avoiding injuries

With Krul, Gibson,Quintilla,Placheta returning in the next weeks...followed by Hernandez and Byram hopefully in the next month... and then Idah and Mumba after that.....plus any of the 20 odd loan players we have out we can recall in January, our ability to name an incredibly strong bench of 9 of which we can use 5, gives Farke an incredibly strong hand of cards to play on any given matchday

Its the variety of different kinds of attackers that Farke has at his disposal , when all fit , and with 5 subs, means that he should be able to pick any lock in front of him

Pukki Hugill Idah

Buendia Dowell Cantwell Hernandez Placheta Steipermann Vrancic Martin  ...all in a matchday squad?...should overcome any opposition in this league

I think a left back will materialise but the chances of another striker arriving are virtually nil as I don’t think we will be in the market for one.

Also even if Emi and/or Max do leave (can’t see it) we could win the league anyway. 

• Like 1

I can’t see how we would let any of our key players go considering how we’re doing at the moment - 5 points clear of 2nd, 7 of 3rd, and 10 of 7th. Krul also said back in the summer that he was going nowhere and Pukki said recently he wasn’t going anywhere in January and fully committed to getting us back up this season. Buendia is the main transfer speculation linked to going to Arsenal, but he also said after the Reading game that he was very happy at the club. If we fail to go straight back up I do believe he may go at the end of the season though.

With our current financial situation we also have no need to sell, and I think our first team regulars are more focused on winning the league for us than moving to a bigger club - if they go to a bigger club they will probably get higher wages but less game time, if they stay with us they will get lower wages but stand a good chance of winning promotion, and if they do they will probably get a wage increase anyway, along with more game time.

It literally makes zero sense to sell in Jan, so we almost certainly won't. Nobody is going to be paying us enough that we can readily replace either player, their values won't dip by a ridiculous amount whatever happens at the end of the season (don't get me wrong their values will go down if we don't go up, but Max Aarons will still be an extremely promising full back in 6 months time) and the relative loss of value is a fraction of the value of promotion. 

Webber knows all this, he also balanced the books by selling the two players he felt he could replace during the summer. Probably of equal importance is that we know that he is extremely personally ambitious and that a second promotion will only help his reputation whereas selling Buendia to Arsenal won't help one jot.

All in all, the only change I can see is that we bring in a left back or recall McCallum. 

I'll say one thing and that is that Emi watched Arsenal play yesterday, he wouldn't want to touch them with a bargepole whatever money they might offer him. No desire, no runners, no togetherness. Could ruin his career.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I'll say one thing and that is that Emi watched Arsenal play yesterday, he wouldn't want to touch them with a bargepole whatever money they might offer him. No desire, no runners, no togetherness. Could ruin his career.

Could absolutely be the making of him to hit the International stage too, none of us know is the only fact. 

There would be absolutely no excuse to sell key players in January. Usually I agree that everyone has a price but, looking historically, no club I can see has been top of the Championship in January and then sold a key player. 

I'm hopeful we won't but I absolutely don't buy the idea we'd be powerless in this situation.

22 minutes ago, king canary said:

There would be absolutely no excuse to sell key players in January. Usually I agree that everyone has a price but, looking historically, no club I can see has been top of the Championship in January and then sold a key player. 

I'm hopeful we won't but I absolutely don't buy the idea we'd be powerless in this situation.

Baring in mind Farke had to re-focus Emi and Cantwell already this season (and despite the criticism at the time, has yet again proven to have done a sterling job) - there is an element of powerlessness if the club is big enough and the bid is big enough. I'm sure we'll do everything possible not to sell them but there is a possibility that it becomes one of those that simply causes too many problems if we don't sell.

Also, not many clubs in the championship our size have had the kind of young talent we've got at this level. So comparing to other clubs selling their players, there's a bit of difference.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Baring in mind Farke had to re-focus Emi and Cantwell already this season (and despite the criticism at the time, has yet again proven to have done a sterling job) - there is an element of powerlessness if the club is big enough and the bid is big enough. I'm sure we'll do everything possible not to sell them but there is a possibility that it becomes one of those that simply causes too many problems if we don't sell.

Also, not many clubs in the championship our size have had the kind of young talent we've got at this level. So comparing to other clubs selling their players, there's a bit of difference.

I think there is a huge difference between that at the start of the season (especially as we didn't start all that quickly) and mid season in January. 

Also I don't think you can say that last part with any real certainty. Fulham managed to keep Ryan Sessengon for instance, he was considered a huge prospect. 

13 hours ago, Making Plans said:

Don't think anyone will want to leave in Jan.

They have started a job that they'll be keen to finish and that will get them to where they want to go.

They will stay and we will walk this league.

What happens after that depends on whether we give them the support they deserve in the summer by significantly strenghtening the squad.

They've experienced a lack of PL ambition once and they won't want to have another season of PL Inferiority followed by another relegation.

Lovely thoughts but an extra £60k a week does tend to turn people's heads

Our performance has been outstanding considering our injuries. There should be not question of us selling key players indeed quite the reverse a couple of gaps could do with filling. Nothing in football is certain but we have an outstanding platform to go forward from here

9 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:
10 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Could absolutely be the making of him to hit the International stage too, none of us know is the only fact. 

Going to a club who are struggling and whose players aren't up for the struggle is about the worst place to go to develop your career. The way Arsenal are going they might get dragged down to the relegation zone and get stuck there. Emi deserves better than that.

13 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If Emi want's to go and the offer is big enough (More so in todays covid money loss due to gates world) then emi shall go. Really is that simple. Wish we could keep him, I really do.

oh noes.jpg

Why on Earth would Emi sign for Arsenal when we're likely to swap places in the summer?...... 😏

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I think there is a huge difference between that at the start of the season (especially as we didn't start all that quickly) and mid season in January. 

Also I don't think you can say that last part with any real certainty. Fulham managed to keep Ryan Sessengon for instance, he was considered a huge prospect. 

Of course there's a difference and every possibility that it might mean Buendia and co are happy to stay. My point is if they're not happy to stay because a 'big' club comes in for them (with the added agent talk about how he'll only be able to get this move in January cos they need him now etc, the usual pressure stuff) - it's never that simple!

51 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Going to a club who are struggling and whose players aren't up for the struggle is about the worst place to go to develop your career. The way Arsenal are going they might get dragged down to the relegation zone and get stuck there. Emi deserves better than that.

They are a huge club, third best supported in England. Arsenal are awful at the moment but  to any of our players it would be a dream move.

If Norwich’s valuation is met then a player like Emi will be sold in January or the summer.  The best we could hope for is a loan back if it’s the former. 

21 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

They are a huge club, third best supported in England. Arsenal are awful at the moment but  to any of our players it would be a dream move.

If Norwich’s valuation is met then a player like Emi will be sold in January or the summer.  The best we could hope for is a loan back if it’s the former. 

No club is immune from getting relegated and Arsenal are on course for that, 2nd bottom in the form table which will translate to position if they carry on like they are.  If a ship is sinking, better to jump off it than to try and get on it.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Of course there's a difference and every possibility that it might mean Buendia and co are happy to stay. My point is if they're not happy to stay because a 'big' club comes in for them (with the added agent talk about how he'll only be able to get this move in January cos they need him now etc, the usual pressure stuff) - it's never that simple!

And I keep going back to the fact every other club in our position managed it. 

You may be forgiving if we sell Emi to Arsenal in January- for me, unless he basically goes on strike,  I'd be far less forgiving. 

Its just not going to happen, not unless some serious serious money is put up. Buendia will be well aware of what promotion is worth to a club like Norwich and the leadership will also have made it clear that he is central to our plans to go straight back up. I have no doubt they will have a gentlemen's agreement that he will be allowed to leave for a sensible fee in the summer if we don't go up, and if the right money comes in from a top club he can leave if we have gone up. 

The club know there is so much at stake; you sell Buendia and you could jeopardise promotion, upset the manager and turn the fan base on the powers that be. The phrase an offer we couldn't refuse would have to be something in the region of 40-50 million, silly money I know, but I just cant see them shifting for a £30 million bid.

I don't see Arsenal or anyone else coming up with enough money to persuade us to part with him or Cantwell in January. If they do, then we'll sell, but I don't see a £20m+ bid coming in. It would smack of desperation and even Arsenal aren't so desperate that they rely on a decent Championship player to get them out of trouble. 

Aarons I think is different. He was solid in the EPL and has kept his head and looked very good this season. If I were Everton/Leicester/Wolves or a club of that ilk I would be willing to get him for £25m on a loanback in January.

2 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I don't see Arsenal or anyone else coming up with enough money to persuade us to part with him or Cantwell in January. If they do, then we'll sell, but I don't see a £20m+ bid coming in. It would smack of desperation and even Arsenal aren't so desperate that they rely on a decent Championship player to get them out of trouble. 

Aarons I think is different. He was solid in the EPL and has kept his head and looked very good this season. If I were Everton/Leicester/Wolves or a club of that ilk I would be willing to get him for £25m on a loanback in January.

Have a look at the 15 page thread regarding Buendia on the Arsenal message board. They seem to like/rate him and know he’d cost a lot of money. 

The Swiss Ramble has just done a long Twitter thread on gross, net and profit on transfers over the past 5 years.  We're 25th in terms of gross transfer income, 42nd in terms of net transfer spend in that unusually we have made a profit of £22M no less over those 5 years - thanks again Madders.  If we are to comfortably be in the top 26 in the country the temptation to cash may obviously be there, but surely we want to spend to seal that berth! 

12 hours ago, king canary said:

And I keep going back to the fact every other club in our position managed it. 

You may be forgiving if we sell Emi to Arsenal in January- for me, unless he basically goes on strike,  I'd be far less forgiving. 

Hopefully it never comes to it, but it's worth pointing out that any club offering us a fee which we are prepared to sell Emi for will probably be offering us double what any club top of the Championship has ever been offered for one of their players before. 

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

The Swiss Ramble has just done a long Twitter thread on gross, net and profit on transfers over the past 5 years.  We're 25th in terms of gross transfer income, 42nd in terms of net transfer spend in that unusually we have made a profit of £22M no less over those 5 years - thanks again Madders.  If we are to comfortably be in the top 26 in the country the temptation to cash may obviously be there, but surely we want to spend to seal that berth! 

Not sure how up to date the Swiss Ramble piece is, but if it's bang up to date then it's even more a case of thanks Godders. 😉 

January tends to be a quiet window for big moves in the prem. You get the sides in a relegation scrap bringing in players. Cant see many players top of the championship wanting to join a side in a relegation scrap.

Unless Sheffield united improve massively over the next month it will be hard for them to attract players in with relegation already looking a certainty.

January is a window where prices are inflated, if we were sitting mid table would we accept £20m for a Max Aaron's or Buendia then we probably would.

Barring a left back I cant see us doing any other business. Having the likes of Dowell & Hernandez back will be like bringing in new signings.

• Like 1