The Real Buh

“We need to buy another Center back!!!”

Its great to see that he is doing well but a slight note of caution 22 is no longer regarded as being young by league standards, Martin is getting game time at 19. His potential game time at Norwich may depend as much in what division we find ourselves in next season as his development this season in league 1.If we are in the championship then he may force his way up the pecking order perhaps at the expense of Zimmermann, and Gibsons move may not go through. If we are in the PL then he may get some game time but it is a huge jump for him and he may only play if we have bad injuries in that position, still great to know that he is doing well.

I have a strong feeling he will come back from his loan in January, making up our 4th CB, and we’ll keep our powder dry on any permanent signings (unless talented youth) until the summer once we know which division we’re in. Makes perfect sense to me if Famewo is seen as good enough, which it sounds like he is. Famewo will be our January ‘CB signing’ - just a hunch, anyway. Ironic that after the outrage of not getting that mysterious CB over the line in the last window, it’s been about the one area where we’ve not really had significant injury problems thus far - you couldn’t write it!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I have a strong feeling he will come back from his loan in January, making up our 4th CB, and we’ll keep our powder dry on any permanent signings (unless talented youth) until the summer once we know which division we’re in. Makes perfect sense to me if Famewo is seen as good enough, which it sounds like he is. Famewo will be our January ‘CB signing’ - just a hunch, anyway. Ironic that after the outrage of not getting that mysterious CB over the line in the last window, it’s been about the one area where we’ve not really had significant injury problems thus far - you couldn’t write it!

Much as I admit to labelling Hanley as somewhat of a donkey in the past..

He sure has proved me wrong and become quite the rock now he's been paired with Gibson

I know some charlton fans are very very happy with him for tightening up their defence which was woeful before he arrived

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

Its great to see that he is doing well but a slight note of caution 22 is no longer regarded as being young by league standards, Martin is getting game time at 19. His potential game time at Norwich may depend as much in what division we find ourselves in next season as his development this season in league 1.If we are in the championship then he may force his way up the pecking order perhaps at the expense of Zimmermann, and Gibsons move may not go through. If we are in the PL then he may get some game time but it is a huge jump for him and he may only play if we have bad injuries in that position, still great to know that he is doing well.

Players develop at different rates.  Vardy was playing non-league football until he was 25.  I'm also not so sure that Martin would have had as much game time if we had a fully fit squad.

Can't see him coming back ub January, I think for his progression a full season playing rather than coming back to sit on the bench will fit better for us for the long term. 

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see the lad from Arsenal come in, clearly not going to get game time there unless either Arteta goes or they get lots of injuries and he gets registered to their PL squad in January. 

Although that is clearly dependent on whether we can sort a financial package as the suggested news stories about his wages are crazy money and out of our league to pay all of it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Can't see him coming back ub January, I think for his progression a full season playing rather than coming back to sit on the bench will fit better for us for the long term. 

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see the lad from Arsenal come in, clearly not going to get game time there unless either Arteta goes or they get lots of injuries and he gets registered to their PL squad in January. 

Although that is clearly dependent on whether we can sort a financial package as the suggested news stories about his wages are crazy money and out of our league to pay all of it. 

I can't see Arsenal loaning out Saliba to a club where be wouldn't be a guaranteed starter, and I can't see us doing that with the Hanley-Gibson partnership working so well.

9 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I can't see Arsenal loaning out Saliba to a club where be wouldn't be a guaranteed starter, and I can't see us doing that with the Hanley-Gibson partnership working so well.

That was my thought.  It makes no sense to loan a player out for experience to a club that he may not play that much for.  

Edited by seanthecanary

I’m more than happy if he can be our cb back-up, the problem is that in the summer he clearly wasn’t considered quite good enough for us as things stood, hence going on loan. 

In all honesty, given our recent crop of injuries we have so far been relatively lucky with the back 4 - only Xavi out of our original main starters has been injured.  (Byram (is always injured and) was a ‘known’ from before the start of the season).

Edited by Branston Pickle

7 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I’m more than happy if he can be our cb back-up, the problem is that in the summer he clearly wasn’t considered quite good enough for us as things stood, hence going on loan. 

In all honesty, given our recent crop of injuries we have so far been relatively lucky with the back 4 - only Xavi out of our original main starters has been injured.  (Byram (is always injured and) was a ‘known’ from before the start of the season).

It's a real shame about Byram, always looked super solid and good when he did play for us but sadly he seems to have somewhat of a Jack Wilshere about him 

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It's a real shame about Byram, always looked super solid and good when he did play for us but sadly he seems to have somewhat of a Jack Wilshere about him 

That was why we were able to sign him so cheap

As to back up. I would suggest Sorensen would be up to covering, as has/will Tettey

And I am sure the loanees out are on season long loans. Where we need strengthening is at LB as it doesn't seem as if Quintilla will be back too soon

47 minutes ago, Bill said:

And I am sure the loanees out are on season long loans. Where we need strengthening is at LB as it doesn't seem as if Quintilla will be back too soon

I think left back is an absolute priority, even if Quintilla is able to come back. Even with Quintilla, we're still a man short.

That ties in with your first point- whilst all of our loanees are indeed on season long loans, I think most of them will have January recall options. I really hope that McCallum will be back with us sooner rather than later, just as an extra body if nothing else.

We need to buy another striker if Hugill fails to get his act together once he is back up and running.

Poor old TP cannot possibly keep the workload for club and country going on the way it has before either fading or succumbing to injury.

From what I have witnessed from Hugill thus far I am not convinced that he is of a level suited to being the sole front man of a team aspiring to automatic promotion from the Championship. Compared with some of the strikers at the top end of our league, those at Reading, Watford, Bournemouth etc., it would appear that we have a weak link there.

Adam Idah is perhaps not quite as ready as has been anticipated. He's not far off, imo, but this latest injury set-back will not have helped. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

To be fair, Branston, I don’t see it as a problem as that was last summer, and time doesn’t stand still. He’s got some rave reviews since, and everyone has to have a tuning point. I’m not saying he’ll necessarily be our saviour should we be promoted, but he certainly seems to be progressing nicely, he arguably wouldn’t have taken the next stage in his development had he not got the loan. So far it looks another good move from Farke and Webber.

Can't see Famewo coming back in January to not play. Would do better to stay at Charlton. If we go up, he can then get a loan to a Champs side next season. If not, he replaces Gibson as we won't buy him in that circumstance.

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

We all know who to blame for Gibson’s injury now! 😜

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Gibson being ruled out for a couple of weeks does somewhat highlight that we actually do need another central defender.

The situation is changing rapidly lol

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

The situation is changing rapidly lol

I do agree that Famewo maybe means we don't need to go out and drop a large amount of money on another one but in the short term, continuing with three central defenders isn't smart. 

Just now, king canary said:

I do agree that Famewo maybe means we don't need to go out and drop a large amount of money on another one but in the short term, continuing with three central defenders isn't smart. 

By the end of tomorrow the situation may change again lol I think we need famewo and one other as well

Famewo sent to Charlton until January not season long that speaks volumes.  Expect him to return in Jan to be that 4th CB.  Our current LB is also a CB with Danish U 23's. Need LB Mccallum played midfield for Coventry on Saturday, can we get loan cancelled Robins unlikely to be generous.

11 hours ago, Bill said:

what's a center-back, is it like a centaur ?

or maybe a predictor thing, and you meant santa's sack

Billock, the comedy writer..

123714144_2082411491894659_762656553454033560_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=IqmElkOp0HkAX9y-QcM&_nc_ht=scontent.fltn1-1.fna&oh=eba05d8343fc24f136e344f672196951&oe=5FF38FD1

I can see us bringing in a left back unless Quintill fully healed, I can also see us trying to bring in a striker with Idah out. I wonder whether Rhodes for 6 months could happen? 

Edited by Big O

I think if you read the piece above from Neil Adams, it's pretty clear that if at all possible we would much rather Famewo stays out and gets 30/ 40 games rather than sitting on our bench or taking up a space in the u23s. Having him around would be great but realistically as soon as more than one of Gibson, Hanley and Zim are fit, he's likely not to be in the discussion for a start.

Everything hinges on how positive we're feeling about Xavi going into Jan IMO.  If it's looking like he's over the worst of it, I'd say history suggests we'll stick it out how we are and if he looks crocked then we'll return to sender and find a new LB with CB ability on loan. Of course we'd prefer permanent but there's so many moving parts to the sort of player required I'd say it was tantamount to impossible in the winter window.

As Mason said, I really doubt that we will recall either Famewo or McCullum in January, as they are playing regularly and doing so well for their clubs. They would both be second choice here, so it would be a short term solution, which would be detrimental to their development. 

On the flip side, bringing in someone on a permanent would also block their path to the first team in the medium - long term, so I would imagine that they would be looking for a left back-who-can-play-centre-back on loan. Brandon Williams would be my choice, as he doesn't seem to be getting any game time behind Shaw and Telles. 

Our options will now be severely hampered by the new restrictions, which have resulted from Brexit - we'll be shopping in England, unless we are hoping to bring in an international. 

21 hours ago, Bill said:

That was why we were able to sign him so cheap

As to back up. I would suggest Sorensen would be up to covering, as has/will Tettey

I wonder if he will be back at all.

I cant see us bringing in a striker, if striker was seen as a priority then Drmic would be back in the building. 

LB is my main area of concern at the moment.