The Real Buh

“We need to buy another Center back!!!”

As others, Hanley has been superb this year, not sure he’s capable of making the step up to premiership, maybe a better CB alongside him might help if we are promoted.

I’m not sure what the price agreed for Gibson if promoted, but I’m not convinced he’s any better than Zimmermann.

Famewo will be best served staying on loan and getting game time than sitting on our bench.

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

Famewo will be best served staying on loan and getting game time than sitting on our bench.

That may be best for Famewo but is it best for Norwich? Not in my opinion, especially in the short term. 

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

That may be best for Famewo but is it best for Norwich? Not in my opinion, especially in the short term. 

Why? Gibson will be back, Zimbo on the bench and Sorensen as makeshift cover that’s four! I don’t see the need.

More importantly is left back cover!

6 minutes ago, Indy said:

Why? Gibson will be back, Zimbo on the bench and Sorensen as makeshift cover that’s four! I don’t see the need.

More importantly is left back cover!

Because I'd personally like to see Sorenson having a run as a central midfielder and not shifted about to cover defensive injuries. Also with so many games in a short space of time, having depth is key. Gibson, for example, missing two weeks means he actually misses 4 games. Lets say Zimmerman or Hanley get sent off tonight- that means we're suddenly using Tettey in central defence which just isn't ideal.

Agree left back is much more important but I think we can stand to add depth across the defence. 

Left back needs to be the priority. Sorensen has done a good job (and I am not knocking him) but I feel opposition teams are starting to take advantage of the fact that we have a right footed, midfielder player there. In the last few games the majority of attacks and crosses seem to be coming from this area.

Shame about Byram, because if fit he would be one of the best in the Championship.

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

Because I'd personally like to see Sorenson having a run as a central midfielder and not shifted about to cover defensive injuries. Also with so many games in a short space of time, having depth is key. Gibson, for example, missing two weeks means he actually misses 4 games. Lets say Zimmerman or Hanley get sent off tonight- that means we're suddenly using Tettey in central defence which just isn't ideal.

Agree left back is much more important but I think we can stand to add depth across the defence. 

Yes but your scenario is short term, even if we lose Hanley and Gibson, chances are Tettey and Sorensen will be used ahead of Famewo, given that Farke used Steipermann ahead of our young strikers on the bench.

I understand and totally agree I’d love to see Sorensen in midfield and hope Famewo continues to improve, but don’t agree with bringing him back when there are 5 players likely ahead of him.

We have to plan longer term as well as ensure success this season, which is a difficult balance.

If we are promoted, would we throw Famewo or McCallum into the first team with neither experience of the Premier League or even playing with the senior squad? I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but there's an argument to say that we should bring them back in January to start to integrate them now. Similarly, maybe we should give Sorensen a few games in central midfield once we have a proper left back  available. Of course, tinker too much and you risk destabilising a winning side. Like I say, tricky, but that's what we pay Webber and Farke for.

On 08/12/2020 at 08:08, Yorkshire Canary said:

Its great to see that he is doing well but a slight note of caution 22 is no longer regarded as being young by league standards, 

Different players peak at different times, you do get late developers, and wingers most likely to peak earlier than centre backs.

There are countless examples of late developers, Dwight Gayle playing for Stanstead at 22 and Jamie Vardy playing at Stocksbridge at 23 are two examples from the Premier League. 

Add Che Adams starting at Oadby Town and Ilkeston.... and Ollie Watkins being at Exeter a 21 are other examples from the Premier League top scorers list!

If you want a centre back example then Max Kilman has broken into the Wolves side this season at 23.... signed him from Maidenhead United two years ago (which is where Chris Smalling also started). 

Conversely you get the opposite as well, players that burst on the scene and peak early and then fizzle out quickly.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Different players peak at different times, you do get late developers, and wingers most likely to peak earlier than centre backs.

There are countless examples of late developers, Dwight Gayle playing for Stanstead at 22 and Jamie Vardy playing at Stocksbridge at 23 are two examples from the Premier League. 

Add Che Adams starting at Oadby Town and Ilkeston.... and Ollie Watkins being at Exeter a 21 are other examples from the Premier League top scores list!

Conversely you get the opposite as well, players that burst on the scene and peak early and then fizzle out quickly.

Very true and i hope his development continues. I do not know if it is possible to recall him in January we are think all over the pitch at the moment and CB could be the same

Just now, Yorkshire Canary said:

Very true and i hope his development continues. I do not know if it is possible to recall him in January we are think all over the pitch at the moment and CB could be the same

Pretty sure it was confirmed that it is possible for us to recall both Famewo and McCallum. 

Not sure about Trybull. 

• Like 1

On 08/12/2020 at 08:08, Yorkshire Canary said:

Its great to see that he is doing well but a slight note of caution 22 is no longer regarded as being young by league standards, Martin is getting game time at 19. His potential game time at Norwich may depend as much in what division we find ourselves in next season as his development this season in league 1.If we are in the championship then he may force his way up the pecking order perhaps at the expense of Zimmermann, and Gibsons move may not go through. If we are in the PL then he may get some game time but it is a huge jump for him and he may only play if we have bad injuries in that position, still great to know that he is doing well.

Players in different positions mature at different times. CB & GK being a good example so 22 in my view for a CB is still in learning mode.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

Players in different positions mature at different times. CB & GK being a good example so 22 in my view for a CB is still in learning mode.

Its only really players who rely on pace who are past their best at 30 or who are easily wrecked by injury, others like target men, centre backs, goalkeepers typically have longer at a high level. 

Looks at all the big target men who have reached the Premier League in their late 20's. I'm sure that's why Carlton Morris gets away with hanging around on a contract until he's 25, fear that he'll transcend soon after leaving! 

On 09/12/2020 at 08:47, Indy said:

As others, Hanley has been superb this year, not sure he’s capable of making the step up to premiership, maybe a better CB alongside him might help if we are promoted.

I’m not sure what the price agreed for Gibson if promoted, but I’m not convinced he’s any better than Zimmermann.

I agree Hanley has become a lot better this year and a lot more comfortable passing out from the back. I dont think he is anywhere good enough for the Premier league though and if we go in with that same mentality again, I can see us just coming back down again.

12 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I agree Hanley has become a lot better this year and a lot more comfortable passing out from the back. I dont think he is anywhere good enough for the Premier league though and if we go in with that same mentality again, I can see us just coming back down again.

Yeah, i don't want to get ahead of ourselves too much but if we do go up I'd hope we learned our lesson that you can't just rely on the entire squad to step up comfortably. 

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah, i don't want to get ahead of ourselves too much but if we do go up I'd hope we learned our lesson that you can't just rely on the entire squad to step up comfortably. 

Inexactly this. Whilst I think Gibson has steadied our defence slightly, I'm not sure whether he would even be good enough for the Premiership. I will of course reserve judgement until he has played an entire season for us.

Just now, jaberry2 said:

Inexactly this. Whilst I think Gibson has steadied our defence slightly, I'm not sure whether he would even be good enough for the Premiership. I will of course reserve judgement until he has played an entire season for us.

Personally I think Gibson can make the step up, however I don't think Zimmerman or Hanley are regular Premier League starters.

We obviously won't be signed 8 new starters but if we do go up I'd rather see three strategically placed acquisitions who actually improve on what we have, rather than another bunch of loanees who can't displace existing players.

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

Personally I think Gibson can make the step up, however I don't think Zimmerman or Hanley are regular Premier League starters.

We obviously won't be signed 8 new starters but if we do go up I'd rather see three strategically placed acquisitions who actually improve on what we have, rather than another bunch of loanees who can't displace existing players.

Will be interesting to see what acquisitions we make in the January window and whether we recall any loan players. Norwich do tend to favor the development of players rather than recalling, even in an injury crisis, so will be interesting to see whether McCallum returns. Hopefully Quintilla returns to fitness shortly and much will depend on whether they get to the bottom of his injury. With no time frame in place for return, I wonder whether he will not be with us for much longer.

Famewo is the only other one in my eyes who would be ready to be recalled and ready for the first team (if possible).

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

if we do go up I'd rather see three strategically placed acquisitions who actually improve on what we have, rather than another bunch of loanees who can't displace existing players.

Jeez I must be the only one who liked last season's strategy of loaning players who couldn't get into the first team!

6 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Jeez I must be the only one who liked last season's strategy of loaning players who couldn't get into the first team!

Youd be shocked at the amount of people who'll claim to this day it was...

On 08/12/2020 at 09:09, cambridgeshire canary said:

Much as I admit to labelling Hanley as somewhat of a donkey in the past..

He sure has proved me wrong and become quite the rock now he's been paired with Gibson

Both Hanley and Gibson strike me as more old-fashioned central defenders than the modern ball-carrying footballer. Even Zimmerman is not a ball-carrier. So we are actually defending better without the kind of player that is supposed to typify our playing-out from the back style.