Sign in to follow this  
Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

Club make complaint about officials

9 hours ago, ron obvious said:

It's not really about us losing. I know we wouldn't have complained, but SH1TE refereeing should be brought to attention whenever it occurs, even if you win - because next time you mightn't be so lucky.

Agree with that Ron

I can't imagine the complaint will be upheld, at least not in public, but I'm pretty sure they will have words with him. The fallout might happen on Luton - celebrating with the ref is disgraceful and totally undermines him for the rest of that game.

Maybe just maybe that Luton Town player was mistakenly  jumping and hugging what he thought was a fellow team member and not the referee?....

After all.....It was quite dark?...... 

• Haha 4

In our local football, if you gave the referee a bad score, you would have to write out a report for your reasoning and your thoughts. So it was easier to give the underperforming Ref 10 out of 10. The Referee was then promoted to the next leagues up. And you won't get him again.

We were crap and didn;t desreve to win.#

That said I don;t think it was a fould by Hanley in the lead up to their first, I thoughgt the free kick given against Sorensen was questionable (although can see why that was given as he raised his arms in a pushing motion thus giving their guy the chance to go down) and their penalty was an utter joke so when you look at it like that those key decisions did have a big impact. We were having slightly the better of things before their goal and who knows how it may have played out had it been 2-1 with 40 minutes left rather than 3-1.

• Like 1

presumably one motivation for the club doing this is that it makes it less likely we get allocated this ref again in the future? 

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

No I don’t know everything that happened and neither do you.

We are all on the side of our club, if you want as a club to draw attention to poor refereeing that’s fine, but to make a big issue of it when you have just lost 3-1, ending a long unbeaten run, looks like nothing more than whinging. 

If we genuinely have an issue with the quality of reffing in this league, which I agree has been very poor at times, the time to raise it is not when emotions are high after a disappointing defeat, there should be a much more strategic approach.

Not sure why you started that reply with ‘No I don’t know everything that happened and neither do you’, because, YES, that’s my whole point and was exactly what I said. Neither of us know. I made that very clear.

And no, the whole point of it is that it doesn’t look like whinging at all, as it’s not unusual for us to lose nor be on the end of a debatable decision, same as for every club. So the very fact we’ve taken the extremely unusual and almost unheard of action of raising an official complaint should tell people that this is something a bit more than just mere sour grapes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

presumably one motivation for the club doing this is that it makes it less likely we get allocated this ref again in the future? 

Would be worth it for that alone if so!

11 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

It had a hell of a lot to do with it actually. The whole complexion of the game was changed by several incidents that went unpunished or were not dealt with correctly within the laws of the game. It’s the first time I’ve thought the refereeing towards us was actually very suspect since the Premier League game where we had what we later found out to be a Newcastle supporting ref in charge of one of our crunch relegation games.

This isn’t about ‘sour grapes’ or ‘whinging’. It’s about time for the good of football as a whole that genuine poor and bad, and in this case, dodgy officiating is stood up to. It’s one thing missing the most marginal of offsides etc but last night there were several strange incidents that were dealt with in a way you wouldn’t expect, or indeed not dealt with in a way you would expect.

It also sounds, reading between the lines, that Darren England, and/or his assistants, also was behaving in a way towards our players/staff in a manner that was deemed unprofessional. You weren’t privy to it Van Wink, and neither was I. But obviously something went on beyond the norm.

There is obviously far more to it than we realise. You can’t be judge and jury without knowing EVERYTHING we weren’t privy to - which obviously you don’t.

End of the day, I’m on the side of my club and what we’re standing for - not the match officials.

OK, so Farke claims the lino was disrespectful to him/his staff. Presumably he fails to mention in his complaint that during the game he/his staff were verbally abusing the lino to the extent that the referee deemed it necessary to "have a word" in Farke's ear about precisely that. It's a two edged sword Daniel especially given the players are all having to wear the respect armband. That respect must also apply to the club officials.

Just now, Spix said:

OK, so Farke claims the lino was disrespectful to him/his staff. Presumably he fails to mention in his complaint that during the game he/his staff were verbally abusing the lino to the extent that the referee deemed it necessary to "have a word" in Farke's ear about precisely that. It's a two edged sword Daniel especially given the players are all having to wear the respect armband. That respect must also apply to the club officials.

Look, you won your cup final. You're done for the season. Enjoy league one.

13 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Absolutely. Ever been to a presentation with Webber? I’ve had the pleasure a few times . 
SW would see this as “marginal gains” . As I mentioned earlier we complained about the ref at the Wigan away game the year we went up. At the time we were stumbling . Webber would use things like this - does this put pressure on the next ref ? Who knows but these things are done for a reason. 
Anyone seeing this as sour grapes doesn’t really get it I’m afraid. 

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Referee Bobby Madley 

Sacked in 2018 for making a video mocking a disabled person at a local sports day (yes, really)

didn’t even admit to it, said he was “relocating to Norway for personal reasons” 

He was reinstated this year and currently referees league one and league two games.

He will definitely be in the way up and will be officiating at all levels pretty soon

Referees deserve no respect. They act like the mafia, are totally above reproach and make every increasingly sophisticated levels of mistake when given new technology to do so.

It would literally be better if they didn’t turn up to games

Apologies but that really is a crass comment. No referee means no football. Like it or not they are as important to the game as is the ball itself. They have good games and bad games, just as you have good days and bad days in your line of work. No referee goes on to the pitch to deliberate have a bad game, but it happens. It's life. Learn to live with it.

Then learn to be dignified in defeat.

7 minutes ago, Spix said:

I’m sure everything will be covered in the report, and very likely plenty more that you and I aren’t privy too also, oh, and BUY SOME BLOODY FLOODLIGHTS

20 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Not sure why you started that reply with ‘No I don’t know everything that happened and neither do you’, because, YES, that’s my whole point and was exactly what I said. Neither of us know. I made that very clear.

And no, the whole point of it is that it doesn’t look like whinging at all, as it’s not unusual for us to lose nor be on the end of a debatable decision, same as for every club. So the very fact we’ve taken the extremely unusual and almost unheard of action of raising an official complaint should tell people that this is something a bit more than just mere sour grapes.

You lose your first game in ages, you then complain about the ref, of course it looks like whinging. As I said, if we are serious about poor quality refereeing we should be working with other clubs and the League to try and resolve it, not reacting like this when we lose. All that does is reduce the strength of our case.

Edited by Van wink

7 minutes ago, Spix said:

Apologies but that really is a crass comment. No referee means no football. Like it or not they are as important to the game as is the ball itself. They have good games and bad games, just as you have good days and bad days in your line of work. No referee goes on to the pitch to deliberate have a bad game, but it happens. It's life. Learn to live with it.

Then learn to be dignified in defeat.

“Learn to be dignified in defeat”

NAH

If we’d have celebrated with the referee after we were justifiably awarded our penalty you would have gone mad. 

Get a proper stadium and clean your town up. It looks like a nuke hit it 10 years ago and nobody noticed.

When we play you in March all our players will be fit and we’ll beat you 10-0. See you at Carrow Road/your wembley

Edited by The Real Buh

27 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It doesn't work like that though. More likely Norwich will be allocated the same referee in the not too distant future simply to show that the EFL/referee's appointments will not bow down to such pressure from a club.

2 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

“Learn to be dignified in defeat”

NAH

If we’d have celebrated with the referee after we were justifiably were awarded our penalty you would have gone mad. 

Get a proper stadium and clean your town up. It looks like a nuke hit it 10 years ago and nobody noticed.

When we play you in March all our players will be fit and we’ll beat you 10-0. See you at Carrow Road/your wembley

Luton will have a "proper stadium" due to be finished and ready to play in in 2024. A 23000 all seater in the centre of town. And yes, I agree the town is a mess, that's precisely why I moved to Norfolk over fifty years ago. I'm far from ashamed to admit to being a lifelong Luton fan in fact it's something I'm extremely proud of. As for 10-0 in March, I recall a very good friend of mine, a Norwich season ticket holder for years, trying to wind me up before the FA Cup match in 2013, when Luton were non league and Norwich were Premiership, that the score would be 10-0 but he hoped I wouldn't be too embarrassed after the game. I wasn't, but he was. Remember the score that day? No? I'll remind you.  Premiership Norwich 0 non league Luton 1.

Luton have come a long way since then and deserve respect but all I hear from opposing fans and management after losing to us is "we shouldn't be losing to teams like Luton." That really is an egotistic attitude. I've a massive amount of time for Norwich, they're my local club but frankly, the attitude of some of their fans and the club management following the match at Kenilworth Road is testing my respect for them.

5 minutes ago, Spix said:

Luton will have a "proper stadium" due to be finished and ready to play in in 2024. A 23000 all seater in the centre of town. And yes, I agree the town is a mess, that's precisely why I moved to Norfolk over fifty years ago. I'm far from ashamed to admit to being a lifelong Luton fan in fact it's something I'm extremely proud of. As for 10-0 in March, I recall a very good friend of mine, a Norwich season ticket holder for years, trying to wind me up before the FA Cup match in 2013, when Luton were non league and Norwich were Premiership, that the score would be 10-0 but he hoped I wouldn't be too embarrassed after the game. I wasn't, but he was. Remember the score that day? No? I'll remind you.  Premiership Norwich 0 non league Luton 1.

Luton have come a long way since then and deserve respect but all I hear from opposing fans and management after losing to us is "we shouldn't be losing to teams like Luton." That really is an egotistic attitude. I've a massive amount of time for Norwich, they're my local club but frankly, the attitude of some of their fans and the club management following the match at Kenilworth Road is testing my respect for them.

You came onto a Norwich forum and lied about Placheta diving and their being no contact. You've been given a still frame showing contact and you've not acknowledged it.

Your players celebrate a pen with the ref and score directly from 2 wrong decisions and you come onto a Norwich forum directly afterwards.

Just what exactly were you expecting?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Spix said:

I didn't hear many grumbles when you knocked us out of the cup, when we had a similarly depleted side. 

The performance from Norwich was very poor, but the ref had an absolute nightmare.

Deserved loss? Yes.

Deserved criticism of the ref? Yes

3 minutes ago, Spix said:

There is a whiff of sour grapes on here from some quarters, and it's not a good look. You deservedly won the match despite the referee's indiscretions, and regardless of how much of a hole Luton is, I like to see smaller clubs punching above their weight and wish you every success this season (except at Carrow Road in March, obviously).

Much as we get irked when Billy-big-bo||ocks fans of Liverpool, Man United and the like get all uppity about not being able to beat 'little old Norwich', I think it's a bit mean-spirited to point and laugh at clubs smaller than ours scrapping to make a living in difficult times.

I still think you're talking horseshít about the Placheta penalty, but we'll agree to differ on that one 🙂

4 minutes ago, Spix said:

Good to see Nathan Jones happy again after the nightmare at Stoke. Him and Luton are a good fit and you’ll stop up with many points to spare. 

Just now, Spix said:

We have, like most clubs, a few fans like that. What they seem to forget is that any team can beat any other on it's day and every club has it's good players that can cause problems.  Imo we should not have lost the game, but not because it was Luton. We defended terribly for the first goal which set the tone for the rest of the match. Good finish, but he had all  the time and space in the world to pick his spot because our players were not at it enough.  Scandalous goal to give away really. 

Good luck for the rest of the season, I think you were fortunate that we had so many key players injured, because on top form, we would have given you a better game.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kirku said:

I didn't hear many grumbles when you knocked us out of the cup, when we had a similarly depleted side. 

The performance from Norwich was very poor, but the ref had an absolute nightmare.

Deserved loss? Yes.

Deserved criticism of the ref? Yes

Referees are always up for criticism, I should know, I did the job in Anglian Combination and other local leagues for 34 seasons. Yes, you had a massively depleted side the other night but the bookies still had Norwich as favourites to win. I hear complaints about having a second string keeper playing. Luton also had their second string keeper playing and frankly IMHO he's better than our first choice, but that's just my opinion, for which I'm getting massive criticism on the Luton forums. Luton also were without their first choice captain.

We've had awful referees as well in the past and no doubt will get some again in the future, but the club doesn't go cap in hand complaining about it to the EFL. At long last we now have a board of directors in place running the club on a business footing, keping to tight financial constraints with no player earning more than £6,000 per week, yet after a miraculous escape from relegation last season we are now defying all the odds with our mid table position.  The board at Luton are dignified in everything they do and say. Norwich and Mr. Farke could learn from them in that respect.

13 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

There is a whiff of sour grapes on here from some quarters, and it's not a good look. You deservedly won the match despite the referee's indiscretions, and regardless of how much of a hole Luton is, I like to see smaller clubs punching above their weight and wish you every success this season (except at Carrow Road in March, obviously).

Much as we get irked when Billy-big-bo||ocks fans of Liverpool, Man United and the like get all uppity about not being able to beat 'little old Norwich', I think it's a bit mean-spirited to point and laugh at clubs smaller than ours scrapping to make a living in difficult times.

I still think you're talking horseshít about the Placheta penalty, but we'll agree to differ on that one 🙂

Thank you for that, it's appreciated.

Match after match we see players swearing at officials and telling them to open their eyes. Never mind the crowd. So I don't blame them for eventually giving players and coaches a bit of payback.

The referees are poor at the moment, but without them?

44 minutes ago, Spix said:

To be fair, I don;t think anyone on here has said we shouldn't be losing to teams like Luton. We all know that in this league you can lose to anyone on a given day, particularly when you are ravaged by injuries as we are. I also don't think there is anyone on here claiming we didn't deserve to lose the game on wednesday. Don't see any need for this to turn into an acrimonious spat between us and you. I think the general consensus is that we were poor and desreved to lose, our reserve keeper was a liability and isn't good enough, you exploited it well but the ref didn;t help matters either with some strange decisions which mainly went against us, perhaps in part because he seemed to be influenced by the crowd.

The new stadium looks like it will be good and the location close to the station will be much better. the state of Lutron as a town though is rather sad these days. Hopefully the new stadium can at least help to regenerate that part of the town centre.

Edited by Jim Smith
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Spix said:

Referees are always up for criticism, I should know, I did the job in Anglian Combination and other local leagues for 34 seasons. Yes, you had a massively depleted side the other night but the bookies still had Norwich as favourites to win. I hear complaints about having a second string keeper playing. Luton also had their second string keeper playing and frankly IMHO he's better than our first choice, but that's just my opinion, for which I'm getting massive criticism on the Luton forums. Luton also were without their first choice captain.

We've had awful referees as well in the past and no doubt will get some again in the future, but the club doesn't go cap in hand complaining about it to the EFL. At long last we now have a board of directors in place running the club on a business footing, keping to tight financial constraints with no player earning more than £6,000 per week, yet after a miraculous escape from relegation last season we are now defying all the odds with our mid table position.  The board at Luton are dignified in everything they do and say. Norwich and Mr. Farke could learn from them in that respect.

Just to be clear re the reserve keeper we are moaning about our own club there because our second string keeper is quite clearly nowhere near good enough and many of us pointed this out as a concern in the summer. I don't think people are claiming its unfair or Luton were lucky because of it, its a frustration with our own club and how they have left us rather exposed. Same with the full back situation where we idiotically loaned out our reserve left back to Coventry and are now having to play a central midfielder there for 3 months!

18 minutes ago, Spix said:

Honestly, I think that complaining about the way officials spoke to staff are hypocritical.  You constantly see managers and coaching staff having a go at officials and then they give interviews after the match slating them.  I don't think that's very respectful.  What I would say though is a Luton player jumping over the ref to celebrate a debatable penalty and the ref not doing much about it is not a good look for football.  I would feel the same if it had been us doing it.  Whether that justifies putting in a formal complaint, I'm not so sure but at the very least, it doesn't look good.

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

To be fair, I don;t think anyone on here has said we should be losing to teams like Luton. We all know that in this league you can lose to anyone on a given day, particularly when you are ravaged by injuries as we are. I also don't think there is anyone on here claiming we didn't deserve to lose the game on wednesday. Don't see any need for this to turn into an acrimonious spat between us and you. I think the general consensus is that we were poor and desreved to lose, our reserve keeper was a liability and isn't good enough, you exploited it well but the ref didn;t help matters either with some strange decisions which mainly went against us, perhaps in part because he seemed to be influenced by the crowd.

The new stadium looks like it will be good and the location close to the station will be much better. the state of Lutron as a town though is rather sad these days. Hopefully the new stadium can at least help to regenerate that part of the town centre.

Re your last paragraph, that's the hope and intention. It could have been started years ago but for the intervention of Capitol & Regional who run the mall which will be directly across the road from the new stadium. Eventually fan pressure and a sensible local Council pushed the plans through. They are now though having to be readjusted due to the demise of retail and extra costs caused by covid. The club own a large plot of land at junction 10 of the M1 which will be rented out for development and the funds then used to pay for the ground. The local taxpayer will not be asked to pay a penny towards it. That's how the Luton board work, it's all about benefitting the town without costs to it's residents.

48 minutes ago, Spix said:

The FA cup is a scrub competition for losers. We barely bother with it. It’s for plucky little pub teams like Luton and big clubs B teams. Who cares.

we don’t want your respect. Don’t call us your “local team” you are in or out with Norwich. Can’t stand this “I always look in on results for Norwich” malarkey. You are Nodge or you ain’t. Simple as that.