Good to see him being influential and a lot of praise for him recently - and he is undoubtedly doing better than last season, but last night I got a bit frustrated with his lack of end product. Final passes either just too long or just too short, shots that are easily charged down, when with a clear sight of goal the shot not strong or accurate enough.  Impressive in other ways with his work rate and keeping midfield strong, but at the business end of he pitch, just not quite there yet.  A goal would help him get a bit more confidence and his work deserves it, but not yet as good as Leitner was, playing in a similar way, imo.  Think there is more to come from him, but don't think he is quite at the top of his game yet. 

No doubt the stats will disagree and people will tell me he did some good final passes, please do so, it is just the impression I had during the match and would be happy if people can see more in his performance than I did.

I don't see Rupp playing in all that similar way to Leitner to be honest - he interprets the role more like a box-to-box midfielder who can put a foot in, where Leitner was more of a classic deep-lying playmaker. I do agree that there could well be a bit more to come as ultimately we are talking about a player who was out for a long time with a very heavy-duty injury who moved to a new country.

Another thing Rupp's got over Leitner is his ability to turn the ball over and bomb away. Don't get me wrong, if I had to pick someone to hit a pass 50 yards Leitner's ahead all day long, but Rupp's demonstrating a nicely rounded game here, although he lacks the final bit of precision in his shooting and passing that Leitner has. I definitely see him as an upgrade on McLean, except for aerial ability.

• Like 6

Interesting you compare him to Leitner Lakey, who actually contributed very little in terms of 'end product' in the 18/19 season. How many goals and assists did he get? In any case Rupp and Leitner are very different players and IMO Rupp offers us so more elsewhere on the pitch.

This end product criticism was actually raised in the main match thread by Hardhouse yesterday and I just think its a bit of a weird criticism. A bit like singling out Pukki for his defensive efforts. He offers so much good to the team and has been at the heart of our good transitional play from defence to attack.

Okay so threading the perfect final ball, getting the ball in the box and popping off a shot, or scoring a screamer from 25 yards are not his greatest attributes, but they are also not particularly important attributes for his role. We already have plenty of attacking players capable of this. And we also need steadier players who retain possession and keep us ticking over - Rupp does this very well. Just look how much we lost control when he was taken off last night!

And for the record, I actually don't think his shooting is that bad at all, he's stung the keeper's hands a few times this season from outside the box. As a comparison just look how wayward our 'end-product' players have been. Buendia and Marco's long-range shooting was awful last night and also how often did they give the ball away trying to play a through ball or take on a defender?

I was very impressed with him last night. Driving runs, adds bite defensively, and I reckon he will get half a dozen goals this season as he's continually getting into good shooting positions on the edge of the box. He doesn't have the finesse of a Leitner or the attacking midfielders like Cantwell, Emi, Mario or Stiepy but in the CDM role he's head and shoulders above the rest at the moment. 

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Good to see him being influential and a lot of praise for him recently - and he is undoubtedly doing better than last season, but last night I got a bit frustrated with his lack of end product. Final passes either just too long or just too short, shots that are easily charged down, when with a clear sight of goal the shot not strong or accurate enough.  Impressive in other ways with his work rate and keeping midfield strong, but at the business end of he pitch, just not quite there yet.  A goal would help him get a bit more confidence and his work deserves it, but not yet as good as Leitner was, playing in a similar way, imo.  Think there is more to come from him, but don't think he is quite at the top of his game yet. 

No doubt the stats will disagree and people will tell me he did some good final passes, please do so, it is just the impression I had during the match and would be happy if people can see more in his performance than I did.

With the creative play makers in the team-stiepermann and Buendia. I’d say Rupp is exceeding any expectations so far this season.

• Like 1

Chipping the ball to the keeper is a stat 'shot on target' 

Looks good to Farke but worse than useless.

He did try McLean's kicking the ball wide and hoping for a deflection too.

🤪

I thought that Rupp played very well last night, especially the number of times he won the ball back from Millwall.

It seems that some fans expect our players to be able to excel at all aspects of the game-tackling, passing, creating chances and finishing them. As others have said before, if our players could do all that, they wouldn’t be playing for us, they’d be playing at a much higher level.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I thought that Rupp played very well last night, especially the number of times he won the ball back from Millwall.

It seems that some fans expect our players to be able to excel at all aspects of the game-tackling, passing, creating chances and finishing them. As others have said before, if our players could do all that, they wouldn’t be playing for us, they’d be playing at a much higher level.

I think perhaps that some of us like to see the players improve and fulfil their playing potential to the very highest level possible.  There are areas in which all of our players could improve and how much they improve is up to them and how they develop themselves over a period of time. If I was Rupp, I would be thinking, yes I'm doing ok and contributing a lot, but I could do more in the way of scoring and in my final ball - and I would be doing everything I could to improve that in training and in match situations. 

If a player does improve and develop then there is every chance they could do that at a higher level - and hopefully with us! 

I don’t think Rupp would be anywhere near the front of the queue if I was singling a player out for a lack of end product. 

Firstly, that’s not really his job and secondly, the players whose job that is, have been far more frustrating. 

At the end of the day, he’s Rupp not Gerrard or Lampard and has been excellent in his role this season. 

Also, I like the fact he’s willing to have a go. If you don’t buy a ticket, you don’t win the raffle and too often, we’re not buying enough tickets! 

Edited by Clint

I’m actually amazed at his progress. He’s actually looking like he might be a goal threat as well. If he can chip in with some goals he’s going to be a very important player for us!

Rupp has a higher successfull pass % than any of our other central midfielders - despite playing more longer balls. He also plays more key passes than our other central midfielders (excluding number 10s). 

Basically the OP is completely wrong.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed watching him play last night and have seen a really good progression in his contribution. Long may it continue 👍

You've totally misunderstood his role. He is in a defensive central 2, but is the one who is more advanced than Skipp. 

So judging him on things he shouldn't even be doing that much is ridiculous. 

He tackled well, linked play up, and also got several good forward passes going as well as some shots. 

All round, excellent and to pick him up and whine about stuff not core to his role is... A bit ignorant. 

Leitner and Vrancic, in a defensive midfield pair, give you similar strengths and weaknesses. Leitner's probably more mobile but is no speedster either, and neither are likely to win you many turnovers. Either you've got a Duracell Bunny tackle machine next to them, or better still, you make it a midfield three.

Skipp and Rupp work well enough to make it stick as a two, although as I proposed before, I'd like to see our number 10 dropped back to be a deep-lying playmaker and we play 4-3-2-1 instead.

I'd also argue that Rupp's performances in central midfield thoroughly show how he could be a very good reserve right-back as well, even though we have not seen him play there. He has that ability to turn the ball over and drive up the field at some pace, all whilst hitting progressive balls forward. Not that I want to see him there, but those who were wondering where it came from, I can see why.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Leitner and Vrancic, in a defensive midfield pair, give you similar strengths and weaknesses. Leitner's probably more mobile but is no speedster either, and neither are likely to win you many turnovers. Either you've got a Duracell Bunny tackle machine next to them, or better still, you make it a midfield three.

Skipp and Rupp work well enough to make it stick as a two, although as I proposed before, I'd like to see our number 10 dropped back to be a deep-lying playmaker and we play 4-3-2-1 instead.

I'd also argue that Rupp's performances in central midfield thoroughly show how he could be a very good reserve right-back as well, even though we have not seen him play there. He has that ability to turn the ball over and drive up the field at some pace, all whilst hitting progressive balls forward. Not that I want to see him there, but those who were wondering where it came from, I can see why.

Rupp looks so comfortable on the ball and straight back in to the formation when we haven’t got it. Nice and solid, then a bench full of players for different situations. 

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Rupp looks so comfortable on the ball and straight back in to the formation when we haven’t got it. Nice and solid, then a bench full of players for different situations. 

He's a grafter. Alert, willing to drive forward, willing to put in a tackle, close down space, press... a really good team player.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

Its a bad one. 

At the end of the op I asked people to give me reasons why my impression might be wrong.  Some people managed to do that without being obnoxious.....

48 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

At the end of the op I asked people to give me reasons why my impression might be wrong.  Some people managed to do that without being obnoxious.....

I'll try harder next time. 😉 

2 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

You've totally misunderstood his role. He is in a defensive central 2, but is the one who is more advanced than Skipp. 

So judging him on things he shouldn't even be doing that much is ridiculous. 

He tackled well, linked play up, and also got several good forward passes going as well as some shots. 

All round, excellent and to pick him up and whine about stuff not core to his role is... A bit ignorant. 

Correct - and yet Farke still took him off when he was our MOM by a country mile.

He steals the ball, takes it forwards and attempts to create. If he could steal the ball halfway inside our half, dribble 60 years then let fly a screamer into the top corner every time he wouldn’t be playing for us!

• Like 3

On a side note, Sorensen has been pretty solid for his part and those who said he’s not a defender, well he’s certainly not bad in defence across that entire back line and gives us the fluidity to change from a 4 man back line to three CB during the game.

Rupp has been like signing a new player! Excellent season so far.

I think you could make an argument that he should maybe take a few less potshots but in general I like the fact he's willing to shoot from range.

18 hours ago, lake district canary said:

I think you’ve let him off lightly there Lakey. He’s been rubbish in goal too! Hasn’t pulled off one decent save yet.

Has actually become an integral player for us, and there was no surprise from me that when he went off Tuesday we lost our way in the game.

Seems to relish the additional space in the Championship. Good player for us. His shooting is his weakness though.

• Like 1