A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

22 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

About as much good as a nine bob watch Boris Johnson promise.

My favourite comment on that thread:

IMG_0047.jpeg

• Haha 3

https://unherd.com/2023/06/boris-johnsons-theatre-of-the-absurd/

An interesting read on Johnson and how he works. It's a psychological insight into his failure and there are many references that link to my own impressions formed over many years of Johnson being the eternal child (puer aeternus) archetype.

Would recommend to anyone.

This short extract stood out for me especially:

"The philosopher John Gray told me that the key to understanding Johnson was that the “mask has moulded to the face”.  Just as we all have our public and private personas, so does Johnson. But with him, the chaos and mockery, jokes and shallowness, are both real and performative. This is the key to understanding Johnson. He uses chaos to distract; but he is also chaotic to the point at which he undermined his entire premiership".

The problem arrived when his schtick of mocking and joking about the failure of past political elites became impossible when he "became part of that failed political class"  himself.

So many people have been in thrall to this man, which I can only assume demonstrates (a) the power of his persona and (b) an inability to see a 'whole' of a person. Hoodwinked? A poor radar for people? A lack of depth on one's ability to read people. We all come across ****holes in life, even those with a powerful personality - but we can suspend our judgement on such folk. All that glistens and all that.

Perhaps his wife sees more of the real person he hides from everyone - the doubter, the worrier, the misunderstood. The human parts that we all have, the weaknesses, the insecurities... but we of course are not keen to show others. That must be true of celebrities and politicians alike. All in the public eye, all putting on a 'jolly good show'. 

We need people in power and with huge responsibility to have done much more work on themselves before they've entered public life and on such a big stage as government. Johnson, I'm convinced, has demonstrated that by playing a game he could live it - and it worked for a long while. But, gradually people see more behind the mask.

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Now Rishi say sBoris tried to get him to bend the rules backwards to get his cronies an honour.

Wahay, Rishi throws Boris under the bus!  About time too.  It's also a bit of a retort to Labour's "spineless" taunts - two birds, one stone.

Can't wait to see what the compulsive liar does now.  Spontaneous combustion seems a distinct possibility.

Edited by benchwarmer

16 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Freudian slip?

10 minutes ago, Yellowfuture said:

Must have been 😁

Johnson debases everything he touches.

Thank God the House of Lords is going.

He's turned a peerage into a badge of shame.

1 minute ago, Yellow Fever said:

Johnson debases everything he touches.

Thank God the House of Lords is going.

He's turned a peerage into a badge of shame.

The similarities with Trump continue ro unfold

"What is known is that the prime minister and his second wife, Marina Wheeler, who separated in 2018, have four children together: Lara Lettice, 27, Milo Arthur, 25, Cassia Peaches, 23, and Theodore Apollo, 21."

So he produces a child every two years. And Charlotte Owen is 29.

4 minutes ago, MooreMarriot said:

"What is known is that the prime minister and his second wife, Marina Wheeler, who separated in 2018, have four children together: Lara Lettice, 27, Milo Arthur, 25, Cassia Peaches, 23, and Theodore Apollo, 21."

Well he fcuked the country in 2019.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MooreMarriot said:

The names 🤣

1 hour ago, MooreMarriot said:

I suspect the seed has been sown and scattered far and wide. 

Edited by Yellowfuture

This Nadine Dories situation is a great reminder of how out of touch so many of our politicians are. 

She's on TV and in the Daily Mail claiming 'shadowy forces' are keeping her down as if she's expecting the general public to be rising up in outrage that she didn't get a peerage. She genuinely seems to think voters will be saying 'I know my mortgage has gone up 50% but Nadine not getting into the lords is the final straw!'

• Like 2

2 hours ago, king canary said:

This Nadine Dories situation is a great reminder of how out of touch so many of our politicians are. 

She's on TV and in the Daily Mail claiming 'shadowy forces' are keeping her down as if she's expecting the general public to be rising up in outrage that she didn't get a peerage. She genuinely seems to think voters will be saying 'I know my mortgage has gone up 50% but Nadine not getting into the lords is the final straw!'

I'd add they also feel an air of being untouchable and can do/say what they want. With Dories you don't need anything, but common sense to work out why she didn't get a peerage. She was and continues to be far too vocal with crude inflammatory remarks leaving you with the opinion she runs her mouth off and is stupid.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

I'd add they also feel an air of being untouchable and can do/say what they want. With Dories you don't need anything, but common sense to work out why she didn't get a peerage. She was and continues to be far too vocal with crude inflammatory remarks leaving you with the opinion she runs her mouth off and is stupid.

It actually tells me how easily she could be 'bought' by a promised gong. Sod what was 'right'.

Edited by Yellow Fever

24 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

It actually tells me how easily she could be 'bought' by a promised gong. Sod what was 'right'.

What proportion of loud mouthed morons have you met where appeasing them means they are never a problem again?

2 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

What proportion of loud mouthed morons have you met where appeasing them means they are never a problem again?

If loud mouthed morons could be easily silenced this would be a very quiet message board 

3 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Since Trump it has become acceptable in certain circles to say anything without regard to the truth. That people from the same party can accuse their own PM of lying without giving proof is quite remarkable. 

Sunak reperesents so much of what I despise but I can't help feeling a bit enraged that these idiots, so used to lying themselves, now feign injury while calling their Leader a liar. 

Why the hell do we have something called HOLAC which scrutinises the people a ex PM wants to elevate to the HoL? Surely that committee itself and its existence perfectly illustrates the bizarre nature of politics in this country. And now Labour are saying they will elevate more to it to "make it more democratic???".

Liar Blair gave the impression he would at least dilute if not rid of us this undemocratic antiquity. And now Labour talk of swelling.

This is why we are so lucky Dorries didn't make the Lords. A similar bureaucratic, unelected institute as the EU that she criticised for being an unelected bureaucratic institute. Every time she opens her mouth she refutes everything she has just said previously, especially the girl from the wrong side of the tracks statement. Just shows what she is made of. Fcuk you lot, I want to be one of them.

Has anyone seen Carol Vordeman’s rant, pretty damming if all true.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Indy said:

Has anyone seen Carol Vordeman’s rant, pretty damming if all true.

Cheers Indy. A glorious and well explained rant.👍

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

Indeed and good to see high profile celebs asking the questions of accountability and posting such info on social media. Antiquated political system allowing friends to be placed in high earning positions and making false companies to con the tax payers......terrible.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Changed her tune from when she used to hobnob with David Cameron.

6 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Changed her tune from when she used to hobnob with David Cameron.

Everyone's entitled to change their opinions. After watching the ****show of these last few years I'm surprised there aren't far, far more.