Sign in to follow this  
rock bus

Drmic

IMO I don’t see us getting fees for them. If the German 2nd tier is going to be their destination. The wage bills in that league are generally a lot less than in the championship. If a club is to match their wages I can’t see them paying a fee as well. I also think we would be happy just to get them off the wage bill.

6 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Chelsea have sold £200m worth of players over the last two seasons so are sitting on a pile of cash due to their transfer ban. Chelsea are taking advantage of very few other clubs spending money this summer - the only reason they could get Werner is because Liverpool couldn't afford the deal anymore.

Look at the Premier League as a whole - very few deals have been done, and many that have are just pre agreed transfers being activated.

I guess this will be a real test of the club's "we don't need to sell" policy.

Given the outlay we've made already in transfer fees and wages this summer (decent fees for McCallum, Hugill, Placheta, Sorensen, Dowell and Sinani, plus loan fees for Skipp and Quintilla, and all the wages on top of that), is it possible that the club was relying on at least one player wanting to leave and/or being subject to a big bid?

Is there a chance that the club actually needs to sell someone to offset this outlay, or do you think we could easily absorb it even if we don't sell anyone in this window?

41 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I guess this will be a real test of the club's "we don't need to sell" policy.

Given the outlay we've made already in transfer fees and wages this summer (decent fees for McCallum, Hugill, Placheta, Sorensen, Dowell and Sinani, plus loan fees for Skipp and Quintilla, and all the wages on top of that), is it possible that the club was relying on at least one player wanting to leave and/or being subject to a big bid?

Is there a chance that the club actually needs to sell someone to offset this outlay, or do you think we could easily absorb it even if we don't sell anyone in this window?

I'm sure the club were expecting to get some cash from at least one big sale. I don't though think the signings made would bankrupt the club without that sale though.

The club earned £90m just from being in the Premier League last season, and that doesn't include the two years of parachute payments coming their way.

All the fees paid for players probably don't even equal the unspent £15m from last season's transfer kitty (this figure is based on the bid made for Alexis Claude Maurice right at the end of the summer 2019 window). Obviously having a large squad will be a drain over the long term, but it would only take the sale of one of the five to cover things sufficiently. I doubt Webber is sweating about it yet.

Just now, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I'm sure the club were expecting to get some cash from at least one big sale. I don't though think the signings made would bankrupt the club without that sale though.

The club earned £90m just from being in the Premier League last season, and that doesn't include the two years of parachute payments coming their way.

All the fees paid for players probably don't even equal the unspent £15m from last season's transfer kitty (this figure is based on the bid made for Alexis Claude Maurice right at the end of the summer 2019 window). Obviously having a large squad will be a drain over the long term, but it would only take the sale of one of the five to cover things sufficiently. I doubt Webber is sweating about it yet.

Excellent, this is pretty much what I thought. In which case, we could probably hang on to our valuable players and hope the market picks up again by next summer. Will there also be a January window in 2021, do you know?

(Obviously the caveat to the above is if one of the players requests a transfer, in which case it's in everyone's interests to cut a deal at the current market rate.)

Probably because the guy would make a difficult job of trapping a bag of cement. 

Doubt a team in any of the top 2 leagues in Europe would want him. 

3 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Looking at the squad size right now and you'd think we'd at least be seeking to reduce the wage bill, even if the outlayed transfer fees are covered in a surplus of funds. 

At least reducing the wage bill can be achieved by loaning out, if the transfer market doesn't get moving.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

All the fees paid for players probably don't even equal the unspent £15m from last season's transfer kitty 

The "unspent £15m", if it exists, was before we lost millions in revenue due to the pandemic, and also before we signed Rupp and McCallum on permanent deals. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

8 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The "unspent £15m", if it exists, was before we lost millions in revenue due to the pandemic, and also before we signed Rupp and McCallum on permanent deals. 

True, but those two cost only around £2.5m upfront (possibly less as the McCallum deal supposed to be mostly in add-one). 

The biggest cost of the pandemic is the rebate Norwich have to pay on the TV deal - which will come out of the parachute payment money next season. 

Despite signing a host of players, Norwich haven’t spent a huge amount of capital this summer. Placheta and Hugill are the biggest fees and neither of those are over £3m. I don’t think Norwich will be forced into selling a player for less than their valuation due to the signings made this summer. However, they may be forced into it if a player really kicks off and there is very little interest in them. 

What will be interesting is what the club does sell £40m worth of players, what will they do with the money? Most of the replacements are already in the building. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

True, but those two cost only around £2.5m upfront (possibly less as the McCallum deal supposed to be mostly in add-one). 

The biggest cost of the pandemic is the rebate Norwich have to pay on the TV deal - which will come out of the parachute payment money next season. 

Despite signing a host of players, Norwich haven’t spent a huge amount of capital this summer. Placheta and Hugill are the biggest fees and neither of those are over £3m. I don’t think Norwich will be forced into selling a player for less than their valuation due to the signings made this summer. However, they may be forced into it if a player really kicks off and there is very little interest in them. 

What will be interesting is what the club does sell £40m worth of players, what will they do with the money? Most of the replacements are already in the building. 

I think it will also be interesting to see what we do if we don't sell anyone, particularly in midfield.

Even if you write off Leitner and Trybull you're still trying to fit a massive number of players into 5 slots.

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think it will also be interesting to see what we do if we don't sell anyone, particularly in midfield.

Even if you write off Leitner and Trybull you're still trying to fit a massive number of players into 5 slots.

Yup, either Farke and Webber are building a big squad so there can be far more rotation - or others who have not been mentioned are indeed going to be sold. Farke did rotate more in the Championship in 18/19 (although not as much as some might like). Sitti not even travelling to Germany shows that they are already planning on not having him around this season and Rupp getting minutes at right back might be something considered to cover Bryam's injuries.

Vrancic still seems an obvious one to go - bit part player who has one year on his contract and interest from a Bundesliga club. You'd have to think he would want to leave as well.

Transfer Debts

In debt terms, Norwich owe £14m in transfer fees, of which £13m is due in 2020. However, fortunately the club are owed £25m in transfer fees but only £7m is due in 2020, meaning they may have a short term cash issue in paying these which will need to be resolved (probably via an overdraft or short term loan).

Norwich also potentially owe clubs and players £33m in contingent transfer fees and contract clauses should certain conditions be met. It is unlikely the full amount will ever become payable.

https://financialfootballnews.com/norwich-city-fcs-2019-finances-pukki-promotion-party/

Why did Farke persist with Drmic until the bitter end and even make excuses in order to play him when everybody could see he was completely inaffective? I remember mumblings about him covering the most ground.

There's no use him covering the most ground if he's playing **** poor football. I'd rather he stood still then play terrible football all over the park. 

Now we have Farke telling him to find another club. Strange. 

• Like 1

Drmic was once a very good player in a top league, injuries have stepped in and his career has gone south several seasons ago and he is still short of 30. Given the lack of cash we had last season he was always going to be a gamble but possibly worth a punt, if he has res erected his career like Krul has after being given another chance then we would all have been happy . At least he did not cost us a fee albeit he would have been given a decent signing on incentive and will be on decent wages. It has not worked out and his career which was already in quick decline  will have declined even more. I would be amazed if we manage to shift him on very easily without taking some financial hit, but that is how it goes sometimes, at least we have not blown a £10m transfer fee as well

19 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Why did Farke persist with Drmic until the bitter end and even make excuses in order to play him when everybody could see he was completely inaffective? I remember mumblings about him covering the most ground.

There's no use him covering the most ground if he's playing **** poor football. I'd rather he stood still then play terrible football all over the park. 

Maybe it was a ploy to ensure he was backed in the transfer market this season. It's a bit of a Mourinho thing to do, but it seems to have done the job.

On 26/08/2020 at 08:38, king canary said:

Think we'll see a few of the younger ones go out on loan. 

Not sure about Sitti, they may want him getting some minutes here, but Mumba probably be out? 

Famewo a weird one, he's 21 now. You'd think that Bushiri is above him in terms of having a chance of breaking through here, but Famewo is in our first team squad and Bushiri is out on loan.

I've got a feeling we're still hoping to get a big fee for somebody. Take Famewo for example, he's here at the minute, but sell Godfrey and he's our insurance policy in case we fail to land a replacement? 

If we do end up signing a centre back he'll be off? 

Or perhaps we'd actually like two centre backs, if we sell Godfrey, to give us 5 in the squad. One may be Famewo, one may not be.

And then McCallum, there is no way we need 3 left backs, but somebody may still offer the £15m we probably want for Lewis. So if nobody does come forward with an offer like that he's back out on loan, if they do he's competing with the Spaniard? 

Lose Trybull, Leitner, Drmic, and a couple of those youngsters out on loan and the squad doesn't look too massive. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

On 27/08/2020 at 00:26, Chelm Canary said:

Well Pukki was almost as bad, but if his toe really was the cause of that then not risking him when we were so obviously relegated makes sense, as we needed him fit and ready for this season.

I suppose you don't take a nice car into a banger race, you use the one you are happy to scrap. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

19 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Think we'll see a few of the younger ones go out on loan. 

Not sure about Sitti, they may want him getting some minutes here, but Mumba probably be out? 

Famewo a weird one, he's 21 now. You'd think that Bushiri is above him in terms of having a chance of breaking through here, but Famewo is in our first team squad and Bushiri is out on loan.

I've got a feeling we're still hoping to get a big fee for somebody. Take Famewo for example, he's here at the minute, but sell Godfrey and he's our insurance policy in case we fail to land a replacement? 

If we do end up signing a centre back he'll be off? 

Or perhaps we'd actually like two centre backs, if we sell Godfrey, to give us 5 in the squad. One may be Famewo, one may not be.

And then McCallum, there is no way we need 3 left backs, but somebody may still offer the £15m we probably want for Lewis. So if nobody does come forward with an offer like that he's back out on loan, if they do he's competing with the Spaniard? 

Lose Trybull, Leitner, Drmic, and a couple of those youngsters out on loan and the squad doesn't look too massive. 

Mumba seems the least likely to go out on loan as he's seen as an option at right back where we've currently got Aarons who may leave and perma crocked Byram.

McCallum and Sitti could be loan options but I still think we need to get a few midfielders off the books.

On 27/08/2020 at 00:26, Chelm Canary said:

There was a fair bit of chat at one point about Drmic being a waste of space, whenever that happens Farke tends to dig himself in and continue doing his thing which has been questioned. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Mumba seems the least likely to go out on loan as he's seen as an option at right back where we've currently got Aarons who may leave and perma crocked Byram.

McCallum and Sitti could be loan options but I still think we need to get a few midfielders off the books.

Well Thomas is in the first team squad, so doesn't really change my point as I'd expect him to go out on loan then. 

But if you go with 2 players per position, then that's 10 required for the 5 midfield spots (if you count wingers as midfielders)

I’m not sure we will see too many go out on loan, those in the firs5 team might be needed, given the long season and injuries we’re prone to seeing, Byram might not get fit this year, we will need cover both sides, it’s clear that those going are Drmic, Leitner, Trybull, probably Vrancic too, Tettey is too old to count on every week, so we need cover there, Hanley still not fit, never really fit for more that a part season, Klose too, so Sorensen might be needed to cover the back four too.

I’m not sure we can afford to loan many out.

7 minutes ago, Indy said:

I’m not sure we will see too many go out on loan, those in the firs5 team might be needed, given the long season and injuries we’re prone to seeing, Byram might not get fit this year, we will need cover both sides, it’s clear that those going are Drmic, Leitner, Trybull, probably Vrancic too, Tettey is too old to count on every week, so we need cover there, Hanley still not fit, never really fit for more that a part season, Klose too, so Sorensen might be needed to cover the back four too.

I’m not sure we can afford to loan many out.

We may still see some come in if we can sell somebody at the price we want? 

We were heavily linked to Gibson weren't we, and haven't signed a centre back. But that may have relied on us selling somebody. 

Selling Lewis for £15m, sign Gibson, then let Famewo out on loan for example? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

19 minutes ago, Number9 said:

There was a fair bit of chat at one point about Drmic being a waste of space, whenever that happens Farke tends to dig himself in and continue doing his thing which has been questioned. 

And yet there were still a few on here who rated Drmic and kept talking about his World Cup goal.

Won't be able to take those posters seriously again.

I’m not convinced another centre half will be arriving if Godfrey stays, even without Famewo we’ll have four of them plus three who can play there if need be. So if Famewo isn’t loaned out that’s eight players who can play there should injuries bite like last season. 

Not saying I agree but can see it being the case. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

19 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I’m not convinced another centre half will be arriving if Godfrey stays, even without Famewo we’ll have four of them plus three who can play there if need be. So if Famewo isn’t loaned out that’s right players who can play there should injuries bite like last season. 

Famewo is nowhere near the first team, so a loan looks logical. Can't see us buying another Centre Back unless Godfrey leaves, Gibson looks like contingency planning.

15 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Famewo is nowhere near the first team

Why has he been promoted from the U23's to the first team squad then? 

I want to agree with you, but that has happened. 

I reckon he's hanging around in case we lose Godfrey, and then perhaps out on loan if we sign a replacement (or out on loan if Godfrey doesn't get bids).

55 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

I’m not convinced another centre half will be arriving if Godfrey stays, even without Famewo we’ll have four of them plus three who can play there if need be. So if Famewo isn’t loaned out that’s right players who can play there should injuries bite like last season. 

The briefing to Michael Bailey and the PinkUn boys is pretty clear the club are trying to sign a centre back, regardless of what happens with Godfrey.

The fact Godfrey is still here probably means they are prepared to take their time over it a little. It seems Gibson is the number one target and Norwich will probably pursue it until he either moves elsewhere or in some miraculous turn around he decides he actually wants to stay at Burnley.

• Thanks 1

Our main defensive problem was (and until proven otherwise by the new signings) is the DM position.    None last season were good enough.   Farke must be looking at Sorensen to offer something more and presumably, with the acquisition of Skipp, they know a replacement will be required if we get promoted.    As for centre backs, Famewo may well get a chance (he did well last season in Scotland by all accounts) and so competition in that area is good (subject to injuries).    If anything, Klose is most at risk of not getting game time.   Why would we sign a CB when we have 5 at present.    If / when they are all fit, would still like to see Godfrey moved forward.  

Ideal world, we move on or loan Leitner, Drmic, Trybull, Steipermann, Klose and Vrancic to reduce the wage bill as none of them are EPL level or likely to contribute to a promotion effort.    Vrancic perhaps, but their confidence levels must be shot! 

Telling that these players who won the Championship, yet we couldn't even get £1m for each!    

5 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Ideal world, we move on or loan Leitner, Drmic, Trybull, Steipermann, Klose and Vrancic to reduce the wage bill as none of them are EPL level or likely to contribute to a promotion effort. Vrancic perhaps, but their confidence levels must be shot! 

Telling that these players who won the Championship, yet we couldn't even get £1m for each!    

Can't take you seriously with that comment, both scored and assisted bucketloads in the Champs last time we were here and didn't feature much in the catastrophe of last season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Rupp, Sorensen, Skipp, Tettey, McLean, Vrancic, Sitti

7 playing for 2 positions.

Dowell, Stiepermann, Cantwell, Buendia, Hernandez, Placheta, Martin

7 playing for 3 positions.

14 players playing for potentially 5 positions.

Probably need 3 or 4 of those out. Martin and Sitti possibly loaned out. 

Cant see where Vrancic will get many minutes.