Sign in to follow this  
rock bus

Drmic

46 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Can't take you seriously with that comment, both scored and assisted bucketloads in the Champs last time we were here and didn't feature much in the catastrophe of last season.

There is a very obvious reason they didn't feature.    What was right and proper about last season was that those that got us promoted were given an opportunity.   We didn't rip the heart out of the team like Fulham the year before.   However, they simply couldn't step up, they were poor, hence didn't feature.  Steipermann massively, and I mean massively overachieved the season before.    He wasn't that good then, but did contribute.   Watch him closely, watch his touch, his passing, his tackling, his aerial ability for our so called big man, he simply lacks in all areas and Farke knows it, that's why he lost his place.     Vrancic is a much better technician but he is sadly deficient in his pace, anticipation and energy.   As a consequence, neither will be playing in the EPL next season if we get promoted and they know it.   For this season however, there is now the issue of belief, confidence and trust.    Both know that they aren't trusted, that others have been bought in to compete for their places they both go into this season lacking confidence.    Are they really up for the fight, can Farke trust them and do they have the overall ability to keep these new players out of the team.     In my view No.   

If you think these players will just continue where they left off after the Villa match in May 2019, afraid you will be disappointed.

At least I have given you my rational for the comment.    Be interested to hear why you consider otherwise.        

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The briefing to Michael Bailey and the PinkUn boys is pretty clear the club are trying to sign a centre back, regardless of what happens with Godfrey.

Intrigued by this @Bethnal Yellow and Green, should we get another CB in and Godfrey didn't leave who would be the first choice pair (accepting there would be some rotation), would this be perm or loan and how would we pay for it?

Just genuinely curious about what the thinking is here.

36 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Intrigued by this @Bethnal Yellow and Green, should we get another CB in and Godfrey didn't leave who would be the first choice pair (accepting there would be some rotation), would this be perm or loan and how would we pay for it?

Sounds to me like Hanley could be a long way from being fit! Klose, Zimbo and Godfrey then we’re into a inexperienced young CB or a makeshift from Sorensen or Tettey, so can see why we need another CB.

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

Sounds to me like Hanley could be a long way from being fit! Klose, Zimbo and Godfrey then we’re into a inexperienced young CB or a makeshift from Sorensen or Tettey, so can see why we need another CB.

Godfrey was and still is inexperienced and young.   Famewo may surprise us.    But as you show, we have plenty of options still.  

48 minutes ago, BigFish said:

I presume Zimmermann and Godfrey would go into the season as the first choice pairing, with whoever came in to fight for a place along with Hanley. Klose is most likely to be more of a backup/elder statesman this season - suspect if they could find someone to sign him they would let him go. 

Norwich want to take Gibson on loan and Burnley want someone to sign him permanently, hence no deal has been done yet. I suspect as the window goes on and if there are no takers for Gibson, Burnley will let him go on a loan with a permanent deal if Norwich go up. 

Norwich have quite a bit of cash at the moment - £90m from one season in the Prem and two years of parachute payments to come - a few million on a centre back wouldn't be beyond them.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Move Klose said:

Rupp, Sorensen, Skipp, Tettey, McLean, Vrancic, Sitti

7 playing for 2 positions.

Dowell, Stiepermann, Cantwell, Buendia, Hernandez, Placheta, Martin

7 playing for 3 positions.

14 players playing for potentially 5 positions.

Probably need 3 or 4 of those out. Martin and Sitti possibly loaned out. 

Cant see where Vrancic will get many minutes.

Yeah, depth is good but 14 into 5 just won't go, especially when only two of them seem to fit the bill of loaning out for more experience.

I think the battle for the 3 more attacking positions (if we keep the same formation) looks particularly crowded. Cantwell and Buendia are our stars but Dowell and Placheta won't have signed to be backups. With the more defensive positions you can see Rupp, Tettey and Vrancic being bit part players.

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah, depth is good but 14 into 5 just won't go, especially when only two of them seem to fit the bill of loaning out for more experience.

I think the battle for the 3 more attacking positions (if we keep the same formation) looks particularly crowded. Cantwell and Buendia are our stars but Dowell and Placheta won't have signed to be backups. With the more defensive positions you can see Rupp, Tettey and Vrancic being bit part players.

And Hernandez definitely made his case post lockdown.    Thought he and Idah were our only outfield positives.   If we keep our stars , initial impressions would be we’ve strengthened the starting squad. For harmony sake some will have to go!    

Just now, ged in the onion bag said:

And Hernandez definitely made his case post lockdown.    Thought he and Idah were our only outfield positives.   If we keep our stars , initial impressions would be we’ve strengthened the starting squad. For harmony sake some will have to go!    

I agree though without knowing exactly how Farke plans to use certain players it is impossible to make a call on who would stay and who would go.

Dowell is a really interesting one for me- has he been bought to play a proper number 10 role just off Pukki/Hugill? Or will he do what he has done at over clubs and play a more Cantwell esq role from out wide, coming inside? Will we even use a number 10 type or will we return to the 4-1-4-1 Farke favoured in his first season?

How often will Farke look to fill the team with pace by putting Hernandez and Placheta in at once? It isn't really his style so I imagine it will mostly be one or the other playing.

Do we keep Steipermann just for the sake of having a different type of option? His height makes him awkward to play against in those positions and we don't really have anyone else like him. 

Lots of questions, very difficult to predict and I'm excited to see how it plays out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

I agree though without knowing exactly how Farke plans to use certain players it is impossible to make a call on who would stay and who would go.

Dowell is a really interesting one for me- has he been bought to play a proper number 10 role just off Pukki/Hugill? Or will he do what he has done at over clubs and play a more Cantwell esq role from out wide, coming inside? Will we even use a number 10 type or will we return to the 4-1-4-1 Farke favoured in his first season?

How often will Farke look to fill the team with pace by putting Hernandez and Placheta in at once? It isn't really his style so I imagine it will mostly be one or the other playing.

Do we keep Steipermann just for the sake of having a different type of option? His height makes him awkward to play against in those positions and we don't really have anyone else like him. 

Lots of questions, very difficult to predict and I'm excited to see how it plays out.

For me Buendia is our best No.10, no one gets near him for quality and he can press from the front better than anyone.   He’s been wasted protecting Aaron’s and he just isn’t a natural winger as people keep suggesting.   Think we will start with Emi, Todd and Onel and everyone will have to fight for a place from there.    
Stiepermann is the worst player on our books, lacks potential, (Haven’t seen enough of Heise) and I don’t think he will get a look in this time.   He doesn’t offer us a different option really and Idah and Hugill and Pukki will probably offer that as two up top or even one dropping deeper.   Or as you suggest go with two pacy wingers.   Stiepermann doesn’t even offer an aerial threat, can’t control a ball and any confidence is shot. 

I definitely want to see Stiepermann given at least another chance, although I can see that he maybe won't be able to fully step up again, he has earned a 2nd bite at the Champ cherry. He assisted Pukki nicely in our last friendly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

I definitely want to see Stiepermann given at least another chance, although I can see that he maybe won't be able to fully step up again, he has earned a 2nd bite at the Champ cherry. He assisted Pukki nicely in our last friendly.

Totally agree, and I think a few have forgotten that not only does he dovetail well with Pukki, he's also one who has a decent long-range strike on him and can hit them well from outside the box. Considering that we can be a little prone to trying to walk them in, someone who can just rip it from outside the box is a handy weapon to keep things interesting.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

There is a very obvious reason they didn't feature.    What was right and proper about last season was that those that got us promoted were given an opportunity.   We didn't rip the heart out of the team like Fulham the year before.   However, they simply couldn't step up, they were poor, hence didn't feature.  Steipermann massively, and I mean massively overachieved the season before.    He wasn't that good then, but did contribute.   Watch him closely, watch his touch, his passing, his tackling, his aerial ability for our so called big man, he simply lacks in all areas and Farke knows it, that's why he lost his place.     Vrancic is a much better technician but he is sadly deficient in his pace, anticipation and energy.   As a consequence, neither will be playing in the EPL next season if we get promoted and they know it.   For this season however, there is now the issue of belief, confidence and trust.    Both know that they aren't trusted, that others have been bought in to compete for their places they both go into this season lacking confidence.    Are they really up for the fight, can Farke trust them and do they have the overall ability to keep these new players out of the team.     In my view No.   

If you think these players will just continue where they left off after the Villa match in May 2019, afraid you will be disappointed.

At least I have given you my rational for the comment.    Be interested to hear why you consider otherwise.        

I agree that Steipermann and Vrancic would not feature for us in the event of us getting promoted back to the premier league, but both are still very good performers by championship standards. The former may not be the most talented but is a powerful physical unit and that brought him the success that he has had in the championship and there is no real reason to doubt  him at the level that we find ourselves. Vrancic is almost a polar opposite, he does not have the engine , stamina and pace to compete at the top level but i have rarely seen a more accomplished  passer of the ball and taker of free kicks when he is on form. He is still definitely worth his place at championship level, but as you say all know now that he cannot make the jump up. As to if they can be trusted, you mean can they be motivated to give their all at championship level knowing they would be left behind in the event of promotion. Only club insiders would know the answer to this, but there are many in the championship who can do a good job, get well paid and rewarded with promotion bonus if successful, but not good enough to step up a division, this does not mean they cannot be motivated, it is still a good standard of football and there are many clubs at home and abroad who want players who can do the business at championship level or equivalent

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I feel Dowell is a great young prospect and i am surprised we got him for such a modest fee. I suspect he will get a lot of game time. In our last championship season we had reasonable good fortune with injuries with odd exceptions, last season was the polar opposite. Having strength in depth in the championship which is a grueling 46 game marathon makes such a big difference and that is why we need the likes of Steipermann to give us a good quality option when others possibly ahead of him in the pecking order may not be available. I doubt we will play both wingers at once very often, possibly if we are chasing a game, but taking one off to bring the other on when the opposition defense is tiring could be worth lots of chances and points

18 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

£90m from one season in the Prem and two years of parachute payments to come - a few million on a centre back wouldn't be beyond them.

This is the kind of ill-informed comment from someone supposedly "in the know" which contributes to many on this messageboard being so swift to criticise. Norwich don't have anything like this amount of money available - you just have to look at the accounts to know that and then the financial forecasts for the reduced 19-20 financial year. Complete rubbish.