Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Jacob Lungi Sörensen has agreed to join Norwich City.

10 minutes ago, BobLoz3 said:

I'm sure we'll see a proper CB or two signing. No more square pegs in round holes please!

Agreed. I think we will sign at least one such who is ready for Championship football.

1 hour ago, BobLoz3 said:

I know what you're saying re the other players but McCallum has been an integral part of a brilliant Coventry side and would have been playing in the championship with them this coming season.

I am pretty excited about these other signings in terms of potential. Let's hope they've unearthed another Buendia instead of a Franke! 

Man would really put the cherry on top of the cake for me. Although the crazy figures being bandied about seem to have put us off. A lot of that will just be hot air from Bucharest's bonkers owner though! 

McCallum is the smallest gamble of the four I agree. But doing well in a league 1 side doesn’t always mean you can cut it in a top six championship side hoping to be back in the prem. All of them could be amazing, all of them could be okay but a bit underwhelming, all of them could be pretty useless at this level. Assuming they are to be slowly integrated into the squad a couple at a time, then not much of a problem. But if it’s going to be a huge squad overhaul where six, seven, eight players such as Vrancic, Trybull, Leitner (all of whom have proven they can cut it at championship level) all leave and the plan is to parachute four or five of the new guys into the first team as regulars pretty early on then it could be a big gamble...

• Like 1

I wonder if Famewo will be ready to step into the centre of defence next season?  He could be an option as he appeared to do ok for St Mirren.

2 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Thought he'd been packed off back to Belgium on a season loan?

He has hasn’t he? 

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

Just seen the training photo, yeah he doesn't look like one.

Wouldn't call Godfrey a square peg. Whilst those sort of players are rare I wouldn't bet against us trying it again. I highly doubt Ben Godfrey the midfielder would be commanding anywhere near the fee that Ben Godfrey the CB will.

Be interesting after his move and he’s played in midfield what his value will then become!

10 minutes ago, FCC said:

I wonder if Famewo will be ready to step into the centre of defence next season?  He could be an option as he appeared to do ok for St Mirren.

👍I've wondered the same. Heard decent reports at the end of last season. Interesting to see what news emerges in pre season about him.

23 minutes ago, Aggy said:

But if it’s going to be a huge squad overhaul where six, seven, eight players such as Vrancic, Trybull, Leitner (all of whom have proven they can cut it at championship level) all leave and the plan is to parachute four or five of the new guys into the first team as regulars pretty early on then it could be a big gamble...

Difficult one. On one hand you don't want to rip out the heart of the squad, but on the other hand Leitner, Klose, Trybull, McLean, Stiepermann and Drmic on two year contracts and Vrancic is on a one year deal, all are in or past their prime. None of those are likely to get a contract extension and none of them cut it at Premiership level.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Tettey-Vrancic partnership was our starter in the Championship, Stiepermann and Rupp were still around and Leitner, Trybull and McLean left.

5 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Difficult one. On one hand you don't want to rip out the heart of the squad, but on the other hand Leitner, Klose, Trybull, McLean, Stiepermann and Drmic on two year contracts and Vrancic is on a one year deal, all are in or past their prime. None of those are likely to get a contract extension and none of them cut it at Premiership level.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Tettey-Vrancic partnership was our starter in the Championship, Stiepermann and Rupp were still around and Leitner, Trybull and McLean left.

As much as I love Tettey, I will be disappointed if we go into another season without finding a good enough replacement for him. Hopefully Sorensen is the one.

20 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Yes that’s probably right - I’ve just posted on another that one of my concerns with all of the names being mentioned as likely to leave is how they fit into the supposed five year plan and what our plan originally was. Of the names you list there, all other than Klose are Farke signings. Stiepermann has just turned 29, Trybull just turned 27, McLean 28 start of this year, Leitner 27. Vrancic a bit older at 31, but five midfielders we’ve signed - at least four of whom ought to really be the core of the side for another three years. If we had this ‘five year plan’ why are we shipping out five of the signings after 3 years and replacing them with what are (in terms of quality/pedigree) not really any better players - all of the new signings are unproven players who have only played in lesser foreign leagues (McCallum a lesser English league). They are a gamble, they could be better could be worse.

I’m just a bit confused as to the plan. Surely we should either have bought 22 year olds instead of the above in the first place, or the above should be at their prime and capable of being core players for another two or three years (with only one or two quality additions needed). 

Edited by Aggy

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Agreed. I think we will sign at least one such who is ready for Championship football.

Possibly a few more than at least one such...🤩

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Possibly a few more than at least one such...🤩

Is this based on inside knowledge? Or just by watching the West Ham match 😝

Defence good enough for the championship well they weren't last season.  As for McCallum he is joining from Coventry we have a good record with signings from them Phillips, Maddison all coached very well. 

40 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Is this based on inside knowledge? Or just by watching the West Ham match 😝

I haven't been watching the match! 😜 The only one I've seen was the cup tie against Man Utd. And not inside knowledge. But I am afraid we may have seen the best of Klose, and in any event we need some grit and raw power in there.

I think we have been unlucky with the restart in that our two most physical centre-backs, Zimmermann and Hanley, have both been out. But even if we have them back next season I would like to see one more such like.

PS. When I was typing that I hadn't realised we had conceded a fourth...🤢

Edited by PurpleCanary

1 hour ago, Darth Vadis said:

As much as I love Tettey, I will be disappointed if we go into another season without finding a good enough replacement for him. Hopefully Sorensen is the one.

My reading is Sorenson is Trybull replacement, and Sitti is going to be developed to take over from Tettey when he retires next season. 

20 minutes ago, kick it off said:

My reading is Sorenson is Trybull replacement, and Sitti is going to be developed to take over from Tettey when he retires next season. 

What is needed in this league. Two dms. We have been too exposed.

3 minutes ago, Rolf Harris said:

What is needed in this league. Two dms. We have been too exposed.

As posted a day or two back, for next season we need two upper-Championship-level always available for selection, which is not to say we will always play both.

I’m hearing that Sörensen watched today’s match and has now had second thoughts about signing... 😉

Paddy confirming that after the Sorensen signing, three more players set to sign in the coming days. I know he'd said it before but it seemed ambigious at the time.

3 hours ago, Darth Vadis said:

👍

So one would assume Dennis and Mumba to be announced as 2 of the 3...

One of the Romanians perhaps?

6 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Paddy confirming that after the Sorensen signing, three more players set to sign in the coming days. I know he'd said it before but it seemed ambigious at the time.

Please be Mumba please be mumba please be mumba

3 hours ago, Aggy said:

Yes that’s probably right - I’ve just posted on another that one of my concerns with all of the names being mentioned as likely to leave is how they fit into the supposed five year plan and what our plan originally was. Of the names you list there, all other than Klose are Farke signings. Stiepermann has just turned 29, Trybull just turned 27, McLean 28 start of this year, Leitner 27. Vrancic a bit older at 31, but five midfielders we’ve signed - at least four of whom ought to really be the core of the side for another three years. If we had this ‘five year plan’ why are we shipping out five of the signings after 3 years and replacing them with what are (in terms of quality/pedigree) not really any better players - all of the new signings are unproven players who have only played in lesser foreign leagues (McCallum a lesser English league). They are a gamble, they could be better could be worse.

I’m just a bit confused as to the plan. Surely we should either have bought 22 year olds instead of the above in the first place, or the above should be at their prime and capable of being core players for another two or three years (with only one or two quality additions needed). 

This. I 100% agree with this post. Either way though, I think we're in for an interesting few weeks. 

I think the remaining 3 games will tell us more about who's going, if Farke already knows names of players definitely leaving, I would hope that they don't get played in the remaining games 

32 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Please be Mumba please be mumba please be mumba

I have to say I think you might have an unhealthy interest in Bali Mumba but that deal is 100% in the bag 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pete said:

Defence good enough for the championship well they weren't last season.  As for McCallum he is joining from Coventry we have a good record with signings from them Phillips, Maddison all coached very well. 

Get your point Pete but if the guy who coached Dave Phillips is still there I'd be surprised 😂