pete

9th June d Day for PL

Those 'behind closed doors' rules

• players to wear masks, in team colours, at all times
  • referees to have hole in mask for whistle
  • PPE equipment to be at game no later than 38 mins after kick off
  • medical staff on duty to be no more than one
  • all players to be tested at some point during the month (where resources allow)

Those 'behind closed doors' rules

• players to wear masks, in team colours, at all times
  • referees to have hole in mask for whistle
  • PPE equipment to be at game no later than 38 mins after kick off
  • medical staff on duty to be no more than one
  • all players to be tested at some point during the month (where resources allow)

What about VAR Bill? Will there still be recordings of "the referees a wnaker"be played during dodgy moments?

Edited by keelansgrandad

• VAR will be unnamed advisors, reporting back to the referee
  • that advice will be led by the referees number cruncher  (Camb analyticals) who will instruct the referee
  • linesmen will be required to stay at least 60 yards apart throughout the game

I have been recording a number of crowd noises today actually

one, a long forgotten chant

whose your father

whose your father

whose your father  referee

you hain't got one.......

3 hours ago, Ian said:

Yes, Jim was absolutely right and it does seem there's been reduced relegation (2 teams) from the division. However, the second from bottom team was just 4 points from safety and had to play the team above them at home, so I am genuinely intrigued at what will happen from a legal perspective!

The thing is it may be hard for clubs to sue because although this is big business its still ultimately governed by committees akin tot he golf club and if they take any decisions legally in accordance with their articles then it may be hard for clubs to take legal action. I think we have to rely on everyone being reasonable here and agreeing its not reasonable to relegate clubs (with all the financial impacts that brings) on the basis of 75% complete seasons. 

I think this just about sums up the craziness of the situation when Carers, Hospice workers and some from the NHS have to buy their own PPE due to the shortages. It would have at least looked decent when the PL knew there were problems in these sectors, if they can really get the equipment that easy they should have got it for our nurses etc. 

If there is little risk to those involved why would these precautions be needed ? I am beginning to feel disgusted at the ethics of the people running the sport I love. If somebody dies ( it’s not just the players, it’s all the staff & families etc ) I hope those that take the decisions are made responsible for their actions. I can’t believe there is at least one of these thousands that will be exposed for the entertainment of Liverpool that hasn’t got an undiagnosed underlying condition. If face masks are needed in training why would they not be required in a match situation, or does that involve less risk. 
Maybe we should lease the Colleseum as the venue as that was used of course for people to risk their lives for the entertainment of those with the money to keep their citizens happy. Football may think they may never recover from this if they don’t do it, but my opinion is they will never recover from the stigma should a nurse, carer or similar die because we run out of PPE or a player or anyone connected dies or finishes up in critical care. The Government expected our players to take pay cuts, now they expect them to risk their lives for people’s entertainment. 

It has previously been reported that as many as 66,000 tests would be needed at EFL level. Premier League clubs will also hold further talks on return-to-training protocols, with calls for players to wear face masks at training, and for training equipment to be disinfected by staff wearing personal protective equipment (PPE).

This is a joke, I'm really hoping the players and managers unite to strike against such proposals. Not just for the sake of public health but also so we don't have to divert ambulances and doctors away from the NHS at such time. Just call it off you greedy, soulless lizard-people!

I wonder if they will have the fireworks display when Liverpool win the title or someone wins the EFL championship?

The players can all jump about celebrating, two metres from each other wearing face masks, in an empty neutral stadium. I guess at least the noise of the fireworks will drown out any badly timed sounds from passing ambulances. 

For goodness sake call it off. I’d rather we were relegated with it called off than stay up on the back of this proposal. Nauseating.

15 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

This is the biggest drawback for me too. I'm finding working in front of a computer screen at the dining table all day mind-numbing, so I can't wait to actually get back to work.

It is just so mentally claustrophobic, especially as we have the baby which means I can't really switch rooms. Previously when I'd wfh I'd move from the kitchen to the sofa at points throughout the day- now I can't do that as it is impossible to work in the same room as an energetic infant! I can only imagine how tough it must be for people in small flats with no access to outdoor space.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I can only imagine how tough it must be for people in small flats with no access to outdoor space.

It's funny you say that.  I currently live in a small flat in an urban area, large windows, good views, and a major park nearby has made it quite pleasant but you'd only have to take two of those factors away and it would immediately turn it on its head. The thought of where I lived previously, a suburban house in a sleepy neighborhood seems like it would be worse.

Having a routine has helped too - although I don't have a newborn to worry about! If anything its the weekends that are more of a drag now, no work to do, and not extra options to fill the time with.

@Hillhead - won't let me quote you for some reason.

I'm in a suburban and it isn't too bad- little garden, enough space in the kitchen to set up a mini-office, a few parks within walking distance.

I'd be having an awful time if I was in the flat I lived in when I first moved to London- one bed, no outdoor space, in a built-up area with no real close green space. 

Routine is important- I had a short period of unemployment a few years ago and learnt pretty quickly that getting up, getting showered and getting dressed properly were important even if I wasn't going anywhere- I'm applying that to this also.

Every now and then when I'm finding this a bit tough I do have to remember to count my blessings. I've still got my job, my wife is on maternity leave so we don't have concerns about childcare, I'm getting to spend more time with my son than I would do normally and we're all healthy. Easy to lose that perspective at times though.

I hope you chaps sitting in front of your PC's or whatever are taking plenty of breaks. Unions managed to get protocols put into agreements concerning rest and relaxation periods while operating such equipment. It was brought in during the days when keyboard operators at printing companies and newspapers sat in front of a screen all day.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

@Hillhead - won't let me quote you for some reason.

I'm in a suburban and it isn't too bad- little garden, enough space in the kitchen to set up a mini-office, a few parks within walking distance.

I'd be having an awful time if I was in the flat I lived in when I first moved to London- one bed, no outdoor space, in a built-up area with no real close green space. 

Routine is important- I had a short period of unemployment a few years ago and learnt pretty quickly that getting up, getting showered and getting dressed properly were important even if I wasn't going anywhere- I'm applying that to this also.

Every now and then when I'm finding this a bit tough I do have to remember to count my blessings. I've still got my job, my wife is on maternity leave so we don't have concerns about childcare, I'm getting to spend more time with my son than I would do normally and we're all healthy. Easy to lose that perspective at times though.

Yeah not sure what happened with that post, I wanted to edit it but It wouldn't let me. 

I agree with all of that. If there's one other good thing of it to come for me it's that I've gotten into running which I think massively helps the mood - especially when the suns out. Usually cycle a few times a week but now running every day and improving massively (Which considering it started with a 2-minute run and 15-minute walk isn't saying all that much!

I feel guilty saying this knowing the awful things is going on out there in the outside world and how some people are struggling but I've found elements of lockdown life quite therapeutic. Not having to rush everywhere, spending time with the children (who by and large seem to be thriving), running every day for my bit of exercise so actually finally getting fit and the local community spirit has really flourished. I'm pretty relaxed here in my little bubble.

But I realise i'm hugely fortunate as my work has not been significantly affected (yet) and I live in a quiet rural area with a garden and access to lots of countryside walks plus nobody I know has been seriously affected by the virus. I appreciate others are not so lucky.

I do hope that once this is all eventually over we will continue to practice some of the things that have emerged as silver linings to the massive cloud. The air quality and the environment has improved markedly and quickly without people travelling unnecessarily (a lot of people are now set up to work from home so let that continue) and the community spirit has been uplifting and I hope will help support local businesses in getting back on their feet again as well as there being an end to any debate over funding our public services properly.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

This is a joke, I'm really hoping the players and managers unite to strike against such proposals. Not just for the sake of public health but also so we don't have to divert ambulances and doctors away from the NHS at such time. Just call it off you greedy, soulless lizard-people!

Agreed and even if in a months time these good people are not so rushed off their feet they need time off - with their families. Football will not come out of this well.

Posted a link in the other thread but the leaked call from the Bristol Rovers captain allegedly says that the likely proposal is 3 promoted from each division but no relegations. 23 team premier league next season. Interesting.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

@Hillhead -

To be fair, I don't think i'd be coping well without routine. Still working albeit from home, but pretty strict on being ready and working from 8, taking the dog out for a walk at lunch time, and coming back. 

I do also have to go to my office once a week which does help break up the working-from-home thing. 

Going to watch football, playing football and playing tennis were kind of my stress-relief things and not being able to do all three is probably making me more difficult to deal with for others if i'm totally honest.

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Posted a link in the other thread but the leaked call from the Bristol Rovers captain allegedly says that the likely proposal is 3 promoted from each division but no relegations. 23 team premier league next season. Interesting.

Presumably 6 relegations the following season then?

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

Presumably 6 relegations the following season then?

Not clear. Suggestion that it may be 4 a season for 3 seasons.

38 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

This makes a fairer solution. No legal action for prematurely relegated teams. Europe places still a problem. And the EPL could ask the 20 teams to vote to give Liverpool the champions title.

Edited by sonyc

...but the lost revenue from six less games in League Two would be catastrophic for a number of clubs. That's 14% of their annual gate money gone at a stroke. Can't be done. Got to try to look after everyone, not just the elite.

Edited by Pugin

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Not clear. Suggestion that it may be 4 a season for 3 seasons.

Makes more sense. Also the EPL/Sky/broadcasters could probably market this as a "Super League" for the foreseeable future - I think a lot of people would be attracted to it purely for the novelty.

4 minutes ago, Pugin said:

...but the lost revenue from six less games in League Two would be catastrophic for a number of clubs. That's 14% of their annual gate money gone at a stroke. Can't be done. Got to try to look after everyone, not just the elite.

3 home games (although if 3 come up from the National League this wouldn't be the case). I would have thought its not beyond the wit of football to find a way to cover the gate receipts for 3 home games for each League 2 club.

In the meantime PL clubs just 'magic up' £800m that is/will be outstanding

and with that same wave of the magic wand all the money owed to lower league clubs will be paid as well ?

I await the discussion on what material to build the step ladder to reach the moon

7 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

3 home games (although if 3 come up from the National League this wouldn't be the case). I would have thought its not beyond the wit of football to find a way to cover the gate receipts for 3 home games for each League 2 club.

Or don't relegate three PL clubs and give the EFL the £126 million parachute payment money. You could spread that across Championship, L1 and L2 teams at £3m, £1.5m, £750K each and do everyone some good. If you increase PL size it interferes with European commitments at top clubs and puts pressure on killing the FA Cup.

8-10 neutral venues and 40,000 tests needed to complete it 

Edited by JF

And I calculated 80000 to 90000 tests. Maths never my strong point! Just wait for Boris now to give the go ahead. You just know he will!

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

And I calculated 80000 to 90000 tests. Maths never my strong point! Just wait for Boris now to give the go ahead. You just know he will!

All hinges on what’s announced by the government at the review next week. Another PL meeting next Friday and depending on the lockdown measures things will start to progress one way or the other. 

7 minutes ago, JF said:

All hinges on what’s announced by the government at the review next week. Another PL meeting next Friday and depending on the lockdown measures things will start to progress one way or the other. 

Agreed. Wonder if sport though will make the agenda? You'd think actually it's not high enough on what we might be thinking about as a society right now. Even Merkel dismissed in her short handed way.. "the Bundesliga? ...we don't consider at this time" (I am trying to paraphrase her)