pete

9th June d Day for PL

39 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

......Besides I've just got through the full first series of "Black Crows" (the demise of Isis) on Netflix and that's surely even more depressing than watching City being thumped by Bournemouth in an empty ground.

Certainly would be so it's just as well we've already played them twice 😉

15 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I see according to the Daily Mail the latest stipulation of Project Restart, along with players being locked in a hotel for nearly two months and with having to wear masks or hoods on the pitch, is that if a player contacts the virus  his team will have to play on regardless.

We are already a long way through the looking-glass but I would hope our club would decide the moral thing to do, rather than indulge in a quite unnecessary sporting contest while a colleague was potentially fighting for their life, would be to make their excuses and leave.

If that is truly the case, I hope that Norwich, or indeed any club, goes on strike/boycotts the remainder of the season irrespective of the consequences. 

54 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Ligue 1 apparently finalised based on points per game with PSG declared champions and relegation still taking place.

I hope the club is already taking advice as to how to head off this as an outcome for the  premier league. We should absolutely not accept and should vehemently oppose any suggestion of this being applied in England. 

This will be interesting to see what happens/legal challenges etc. Not from PSG but from those competing for Europe but perhaps even more some from those in Ligue 2. 4 points separated the top 5! 

Just now, The Walking Man said:

If that is truly the case, I hope that Norwich, or indeed any club, goes on strike/boycotts the remainder of the season irrespective of the consequences. 

According to the Mail one player with the virus would be regarded as if they had got an injury, which in the normal run of things might happen, so the team would be expected to continue. Only if there was 'a spate' of positive tests might it be different...

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Kind of agree, but also a realist, the position we were in pre suspension of footy was pretty dire, realistic chances of survival virtually nil.  I still wanted us to get out of it but had started to accept that we wont. I dont see negotiations on how the league finishes to be an opportunity to stay up, although  I wouldn't be  averse to it. Same as I wouldn't feel too hard done by if they decide we're  down. Ambivalent at best, is how I feel. If we are relegated on a decision , there will be compensation of some form at least,  it may even be better for the Club to drop regroup and ' go again'...it may not , so much is in doubt that it's hard to see the wood for the trees.

I have a sneaky suspicion  that  the future financial arrangements may be decreased...thereby making it more attractive for relegated clubs to accept it now rather than stay I  the league with decreased payments and parachute. 

That's a good point corkio. Perhaps they will offer us that third year parachute payment.

I'm one of the few in here who believed we could stay up. (Got a fair bit of flack for that view🙃) But now I just wish they'd call it a day. Whatever clubs have to deal with will become clearer then. All these different scenarios become tiresome as people are losing family and friends to this virus. 

If the PL, Sky and other  protagonists care about football they will concentrate efforts to help soften the blow to all clubs. There are lots of scenarios they could debate about how to do that rather than this tiresome debate about re-starting the season.

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

According to the Mail one player with the virus would be regarded as if they had got an injury, which in the normal run of things might happen, so the team would be expected to continue. Only if there was 'a spate' of positive tests might it be different...

Lovely way of looking at it. A player has got 'an injury' based on the negligence of the governing body. 

My brother in law works in a bank in Paris. Communicating with him last night he said there's no fuss being made by clubs over there regarding the apparent proposals. The view of those affected is that no solution is perfect, generally clubs are where in the league they deserve to be and with much more important matters happening in the world 'c'est la vie'. 

18 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

To appease Liverpool for now and WBA and Leeds. End the season. Kind of null and void it but retain the points, Play next season from the beginning whenever that may be and at the finish, add on the points from this season. That way the advantage sides had this season would not be gone for ever and this season could be ended and the lower league clubs unload all their out of contract players, 50% of the league apparently, on 30 June and save money.

The issue there, as has been discussed before, is that the season won't be very interesting as Liverpool will have won the league before it started and a lot of clubs will be playing dead rubbers from October onwards. Sky wouldn't fancy paying for a season of mostly exhibition matches, I'm sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That's a good point corkio. Perhaps they will offer us that third year parachute payment.

I'm one of the few in here who believed we could stay up. (Got a fair bit of flack for that view🙃) But now I just wish they'd call it a day. Whatever clubs have to deal with will become clearer then. All these different scenarios become tiresome as people are losing family and friends to this virus. 

If the PL, Sky and other  protagonists care about football they will concentrate efforts to help soften the blow to all clubs. There are lots of scenarios they could debate about how to do that rather than this tiresome debate about re-starting the season.

My point  was  clouded by bad explanation,  I realise we cannot be offered inducement, but future financing could make acceptance of an undesirable decision  easier. I also tire of the what ifs, but then find myself discussing possibilities, crazy iknow, with so many unknowns  and variations of outcome. An unholy clusterfcuk is what it is and seems somewhat crass that the while footy thing hasn't been shutdown until it is really safe for the general population  to  go about its business. Once we are really on top, albeit with precautions. Then footy becomes an option 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Stress, depression, bankruptcy, suicides, domestic violence, alcoholism, crime, medical stagnation and so on .... I'm far from being in agreement with the odious Peter Hitchens but this lockdown cannot last much longer in it's present form if we are to aspire to some sort of normality once the plague is beaten.

Bread and circuses was, I recall, the Roman answer when the populace needed assuaging in times of hardship.

Sport would seem the ideal avenue to pursue in this respect. I therefore admire all attempts at utilising such a safety valve no matter how impossible, unreal or unsavoury it clearly will be. Just as long as it's not unhealthy.

Footballers ( I appreciate not the same death rate as ) to become the modern day gladiators putting theirs and more so in this instance their families lives at risk ?
A lot of people such as Carers will be saying mmmmm not enough tests for us and our residents yet footballers and their wider circle can have as many tests as they want. If they want to look good why pay for and donate millions of tests and PPE equipment to this sector ?

It relates to us as well, we are told we cannot wear masks as that will mean we take them from key workers, yet footballers ? well they can have as many million as they want.

Football could have come out of this as great, instead of that the EPL ( not the players ) will come out of this with a reputation that won’t be shaken off for a decade. Invest in what the likes of Watford are doing, not playing football for a few people’s entertainment.

• Like 3

I wasn't just referring to football.

My view was much more widely based than matters solely concerned with the beautiful game.

Re-read ...with respect.

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Ligue 1 apparently finalised based on points per game with PSG declared champions and relegation still taking place.

I hope the club is already taking advice as to how to head off this as an outcome for the  premier league. We should absolutely not accept and should vehemently oppose any suggestion of this being applied in England. 

Do you have a link to this? The last I read is that PSG have been declared champions, with promotion/relegation still to be discussed and ratified?

1 hour ago, The Walking Man said:

This will be interesting to see what happens/legal challenges etc. Not from PSG but from those competing for Europe but perhaps even more some from those in Ligue 2. 4 points separated the top 5! 

There is a difference here in that the French league is like english football was pre-Premier League; ie one business.

The PL is one business and the EFL is another so not as straightforward.

The EFL probably not finishing certainly adds to the complexity. If that season is not concluded then in my view the legitimacy of replacing existing premier league clubs with two or three from that division becomes more questionable.

I wonder if the premier league may be tempted to put the ball in the EFL court. They would need FA approval to do it but if they resolved not to have relegation and to allow two extra teams up then it would effectively become the EFL's problem to work out who that should be and deal with the consequences!

12 minutes ago, ricardo said:

The Mail has the same story, although that has a suggestion that some Championship clubs would like to play on. Well, yes. But Leagues One and Two were never going to be able to do that, and probably not the Championship. I see there is vague mention that a promotion/no relegation solution might be arrived at.

Yet another voice of reason.

Liverpool mayor Joe Anderson has said resuming the Premier League is a "non-starter", and he fears a "farcical" situation with fans congregating outside Anfield - even if Liverpool clinch the title at a neutral venue.

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

Well the EFL are now briefing clubs in the championship that it is unlikely to be finished due to the logistics/testing requirements. If that is the case then I would maintain that it would not be fair or reasonable for us to have to surrender our place in the premier league to a club that has not actually won promotion over a full season. I really hope we would stick to our guns over that. 

I’ve Just asked the journalist I’ve been following on twitter about this and he’s saying if the PL is finished but the championship isn’t he believes there will still be promotion and relegation. My take on that is that if that’s the case then none of the bottom 6 clubs have any reason to go along with this restart 

Edited by JF

22 minutes ago, JF said:

I’ve Just asked the journalist I’ve been following on twitter about this and he’s saying if the PL is finished but the championship isn’t he believes there will still be promotion and relegation. My take on that is that if that’s the case then none of the bottom 6 clubs have any reason to go along with this restart 

Yes I think that would be logical as we could not really have a grievance. However, if the championship is not going to finish then I don't see why the premier league should do so and I agree I don't see why clubs like us should agree to some contrived neutral venue solution that places our players at risk in order to hand leeds and west brom a route into the prem without kicking another ball. I know the reason they will still be tempted to do so is the money but frankly for the clubs at the bottom removal of the threat of relegation is probably worth more to them than the immediate loss they would suffer.

• Like 1

• The prime minister's spokesman has dampened suggestions that the lockdown could be lifted before the end of June
    Reports the BBC

Merkel supposedly having meetings with the Bundesliga this afternoon with the suggestion being that the outcome could have knock on effects for other leagues across Europe. I assume this is referring to the fact she may tell them is a no-go and that they can't play til later in the year.

6 minutes ago, Well b back said:
  • The prime minister's spokesman has dampened suggestions that the lockdown could be lifted before the end of June
    Reports the BBC

Very Sensible but no doubt very unpopular with some.

24 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Very Sensible but no doubt very unpopular with some.

Not from a football perspective but the idea of doing this for another two months is deeply depressing to me.

I understand why but it is certainly starting to take it's toll. 

37 minutes ago, king canary said:

Not from a football perspective but the idea of doing this for another two months is deeply depressing to me.

I understand why but it is certainly starting to take it's toll. 

Even the lifting of the lock down as it is won’t change much. The latest polls say that even if pubs reopened in the summer only 11% of people would actually be happy to go in one. Until there is a vaccine ( or treatment ) any going back to the way things were would surely just result in another lock down. It’s not just deaths, there is now a concern that get it and recover you may still have the effects of a damaged body for the rest of your life.

I will be amazed if anything even resembling a crowd is allowed anytime this year.

Can’t see the players involved going for this if this is the case

Edited by JF

So Rugby’s decision on their Champions League

This season's European Champions Cup and Challenge Cup quarter-finals will not be played before September after the French government banned all sport for the next four months.

So if Rugby can do these things why can’t football ?

1 minute ago, JF said:

Can’t see the players involved going for this if this is the case

Will VAR decide if players or coaching teams get to close ? Football is beginning to look more out of line with the rest of the world by the day.

20 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Even the lifting of the lock down as it is won’t change much. The latest polls say that even if pubs reopened in the summer only 11% of people would actually be happy to go in one. Until there is a vaccine ( or treatment ) any going back to the way things were would surely just result in another lock down. It’s not just deaths, there is now a concern that get it and recover you may still have the effects of a damaged body for the rest of your life.

I will be amazed if anything even resembling a crowd is allowed anytime this year.

I don't hugely care about crowds at this point. I just want my 9 month old son to see his grandparents, or to pop round and see a friend. Heck, I'm even in the weird place of missing my office and having a separation between my work life and family life. Spending 8-9 hours a day sat in my kitchen isn't doing wonders for me.  

The idea of not being able to physically interact with another person for what would be about 4 months by the end of June is depressing to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, king canary said:

Heck, I'm even in the weird place of missing my office and having a separation between my work life and family life. Spending 8-9 hours a day sat in my kitchen isn't doing wonders for me. 

This is the biggest drawback for me too. I'm finding working in front of a computer screen at the dining table all day mind-numbing, so I can't wait to actually get back to work.

6 hours ago, The Walking Man said:

Yes, Jim was absolutely right and it does seem there's been reduced relegation (2 teams) from the division. However, the second from bottom team was just 4 points from safety and had to play the team above them at home, so I am genuinely intrigued at what will happen from a legal perspective!