pete

9th June d Day for PL

9 minutes ago, JF said:

All hinges on what’s announced by the government at the review next week. Another PL meeting next Friday and depending on the lockdown measures things will start to progress one way or the other. 

Well the BBC article states that the government is actively encouraging the premier league to conclude. They clearly see it as some kind of symbol of us emerging from lock down. 

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Well the BBC article states that the government is actively encouraging the premier league to conclude. They clearly see it as some kind of symbol of us emerging from lock down. 

A grand "Festival of Football". It will go down well with his supporters. ( I really  hope not but I'm not counting my chickens)

Edited by sonyc

What I don’t like is we’ve had the next three home games very winnable at home, at a neutral stadium you lose than edge. I really don’t like changing the season.

If it can’t be played out as normal then kill it for the season.

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

What I don’t like is we’ve had the next three home games very winnable at home, at a neutral stadium you lose than edge. I really don’t like changing the season.

If it can’t be played out as normal then kill it for the season.

oh dear

they cannot kill it without killing football

pro football will not survive an £800m cut in it's income for this season

it is not greed, it is very, very simple economics

collapse the PL as you appear to want and the rest goes down with it

9 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

The support seems to be coming from Oliver Dowden but the government have said from day 1 that they will follow the advice of the science. Hard to imagine how this can proceed if the lockdown measures continue after next week. Can’t imagine society putting up with an announcement of “you’re all to carry on as you are, but these millionaires can crack on with it”

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

oh dear

**** it then, let’s just all crack on with it shall we? Many businesses are struggling to survive, why should football be any different and take priority??? 

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

oh dear

You keep banging this drum, but we're almost at the point where it will be impossible to conclude this season without it impacting on next season, and therefore next season's TV income, which will send things straight back to square one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JF said:

**** it then, let’s just all crack on with it shall we? Many businesses are struggling to survive, why should football be any different and take priority??? 

did I ever say that...........................no

I am merely pointing out the delusion that you can simply close everything down, pack it away and then like some Xmas decorations it can be opened up again at some point in the future still the same.........it cannot

if the games are not played, the£800m is likely not to be paid and so clubs will go bankrupt

whether that is good or bad is up to the individual - but it would help if they factored in that problem when they post

3 minutes ago, JF said:

Don’t buy into his bull****e, his expertise is wasted on here, he should be in government, heading football and be given a Nobel prize for knowing everything but doing nothing but posting on here!

The seasons over, the money is not there, most people don’t really give a ****e at this moment about football and football will always survive! It might just be the kick up the **** it needs to bring it back to a local fan based sort and not for the Far East market.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Bill said:

I am merely pointing out the delusion that you can simply close everything down, pack it away and then like some Xmas decorations it can be opened up again at some point in the future still the same.........it cannot

if the games are not played, the£800m is likely not to be paid and so clubs will go bankrupt

whether that is good or bad is up to the individual - but it would help if they factored in that problem when they post

And the same applies to businesses pretty much across the board but I don’t see a clamour of people encouraging we all take summer holidays to keep tourism and airlines in business! This decision should come down to a simple case of public health, not that some clubs have continued to **** their money up the wall and can’t afford not to resume 

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

Sky have already said they won’t seek repayment but would instead look to offset it against future seasons. The premier league should be concentrating on pinning that commitment down if you ask me. 

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

You keep banging this drum, but we're almost at the point where it will be impossible to conclude this season without it impacting on next season, and therefore next season's TV income, which will send things straight back to square one.

err yes........that is the point

one that will not go away whether I bang a drum or not

if the games are played and the money is paid then the season is over

so football has a break in which it can decide how it can progress from there - and those discussions can begin as soon as there is certainty about when this season will end

having these looney ideas about fixing the tables, voiding the season merely dodges the hard decisions

we need this finished as best as can then work out whether the player contracts are affordable in ligt of the situation when next season is due to start

that is fairly basic logic ie CLEAR the decks THEN start again

2 minutes ago, JF said:

And the same applies to businesses pretty much across the board but I don’t see a clamour of people encouraging we all take summer holidays to keep tourism and airlines in business! This decision should come down to a simple case of public health, not that some clubs have continued to **** their money up the wall and can’t afford not to resume 

oh dear, this just gets worse

now you are arguing with yourself

so to clarify

the PL want these games to go ahead to stop football going bust

if you feel that is ok to go bust then that is fine - for the record I am not that fussed

but stop bleating that it can all be stopped without any consequences (as above)

it is that simple

1 minute ago, Bill said:

oh dear, this just gets worse

now you are arguing with yourself

so to clarify

the PL want these games to go ahead to stop football going bust

if you feel that is ok to go bust then that is fine - for the record I am not that fussed

but stop bleating that it can all be stopped without any consequences (as above)

it is that simple

Eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Sky have already said they won’t seek repayment but would instead look to offset it against future seasons. The premier league should be concentrating on pinning that commitment down if you ask me. 

Yes. Sky are potentially in a tricky position here. The most recent assessments in the media are that at worst some or all of the overseas companies will demand to be paid, but that would only come to £150m, which is not nothing but not that much split between 20 clubs.

6 minutes ago, JF said:

Eh?

I'm not too sure I can make it even simpler for you, but I will try

heap big money. PL men speak with fork tongue..................

27 minutes ago, Bill said:

err yes........that is the point

one that will not go away whether I bang a drum or not

if the games are played and the money is paid then the season is over

so football has a break in which it can decide how it can progress from there - and those discussions can begin as soon as there is certainty about when this season will end

having these looney ideas about fixing the tables, voiding the season merely dodges the hard decisions

we need this finished as best as can then work out whether the player contracts are affordable in ligt of the situation when next season is due to start

that is fairly basic logic ie CLEAR the decks THEN start again

I can't believe I'm being suckered into the trap of arguing with Bill, as this is the first thing anyone should get taught when they join the Pinkun forum. But I'll plod on regardless...

It's blatantly obvious that money is driving factor. The Premier League are pushing much harder than anyone else to finish the league because they stand to lose more money than any other league. We know that.

But circumstances are making that nearly impossible. Regardless of whether teams will go bust due to a massive shortfall, or if they have to do some serious restructuring or belt-tightening, it's unlikely that the season will be played out. You can persist with your condescending, mocking posts towards anyone who dares suggest this (which seems to be a majority of people) but it's highly likely that the season won't finish, there will be a black hole in the Premier League's finances and they'll have to deal with it somehow.

So come on then, tell me why I'm stupid. I'm all ears.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man
  • Like 5

49 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I can't believe I'm being suckered into the trap of arguing with Bill, as this is the first thing anyone should get taught when they join the Pinkun forum. But I'll plod on regardless...

It's blatantly obvious that money is driving factor. The Premier League are pushing much harder than anyone else to finish the league because they stand to lose more money than any other league. We know that.

But circumstances are making that nearly impossible. Regardless of whether teams will go bust due to a massive shortfall, or if they have to do some serious restructuring or belt-tightening, it's unlikely that the season will be played out. You can persist with your condescending, mocking posts towards anyone who dares suggest this (which seems to be a majority of people) but it's highly likely that the season won't finish, there will be a black hole in the Premier League's finances and they'll have to deal with it somehow.

Oh dear, or is it oh dearie dearie me 🤷‍♂️

Didn't you know, that hole is £800m, sure I've read that somewhere 😂

I was going to reply and point out some of the usual inaccuracies but I promised myself that I wouldn't waste my time on his posts.

11 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Oh dear, or is it oh dearie dearie me 🤷‍♂️

Didn't you know, that hole is £800m, sure I've read that somewhere 😂

I was going to reply and point out some of the usual inaccuracies but I promised myself that I wouldn't waste my time on his posts.

oh dear

if that £800m isnt paid there wont be any more inaccuracies to reply to

posts will be finished as we know it

get it into your thick skull that its all about the money, birdbrain

no £800m, no more posts, no more inaccuracies

Training together is safe then ?

Three members of German football club FC Cologne have tested positive for Covid-19, the club has confirmed.

The Bundesliga side said the entire team, as well as coaching and backroom staff, were tested on Thursday.

The three individuals who tested positive were not displaying any symptoms, the club said, but would spend 14 days in quarantine at home. Group training at the club would continue, it added.

The club did not identify those who had contracted Covid-19.

7 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

oh dear

what on earth is that supposed to mean

a random jumble of words

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

No that is no blatantly obvious, as previous posts demonstrate - in fact there are still simple minded bleats that claim the season can just be forgot (voided).... which suggest that even up to a couple of hours ago that ignorance was out there.

So don't get yourself wound up because you and others WERE NOT making that point previously.

I have not read any posts about the season being played out being 'unlikely' - that is merely how you are trying to retrospectively spin it.

What I have read consistently is that there are various methods whereby some formula could avoid all this 'naughty' money stuff and the season can be ended without any consequences.

In that light I would suggest you calm down and have a read through this thread and similar others to check - it will save you (I hope) from making up more stuff.

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

what on earth is that supposed to mean

a random jumble of words

I believe he was trying to parody you.

So a jumble of words would be pretty spot on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As far as I’m concerned football will resume when I can go back to CR anything else is not football as I know it.

23 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

oh dear

That will be the one 😂

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

I believe he was trying to parody you.

So a jumble of words would be pretty spot on.

A good attempt but Wacky didn't use enough weird and wonderful words obtained from the online thesaurus 🤦‍♂️

Once again the can is being firmly kicked down the road. The Government want it to 'boost morale' - sod the welfare of the players. Other parties want it for financial reasons - sod the welfare of the players. While people are still dying - even at a reduced rate this is a complete and utter nonstarter.

It is just going to need someone with a bit of clout to say it isn't going to happen let's shut it down now, rather than prolong this utter farce.

Reports from yesterday’s meeting says

Neutral grounds and up to 40,000 tests for players and staff will be required if the English Premier League's plans to play the 92 outstanding games behind closed doors are pursued.

"Up to 10 stadiums" would be used to resume the 2019-20 campaign, which was halted in March because of the pandemic.

The advice came during a video conference on Friday which followed a separate meeting, hosted by culture secretary Oliver Dowden, involving medical experts from several sports organisations, government and Public Health England, about "stepping up planning" for sport's eventual return.

Clubs reiterated a commitment to resuming the season "when safe and appropriate to do so".