pete

9th June d Day for PL

1 minute ago, JF said:

More to the point is can the Europa league and Champions League be played next season? 

It will be played in some format one suspects because Uefa won't want to risk losing the money. However it could well end up being played in a different format i.e. straight knockout one leg, but more teams starting out. 

Just now, The Walking Man said:

It will be played in some format one suspects because Uefa won't want to risk losing the money. However it could well end up being played in a different format i.e. straight knockout one leg, but more teams starting out. 

I'm sure it will be played in some form because it's so lucrative financially, but if some countries are still restricting international travel or enforcing quarantine for new arrivals then it could throw a real spanner in the works.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

As for the second, I think it's far easier said than done for the smaller EFL teams. They don't have the fan base to sell loads of merchandise and they don't have the space to add restaurants and conference halls to their grounds. Of course, they could move to a new stadium with these facilities but they don't have the money to finance it.

Absolutely I agree, it will be a slow process but in my opinion the only way for lower league clubs to survive. Little and often, invest 10k here and 20k there, concentrate on off field activities almost as a separate business for 5 or 10 years and see how much you can grow it. But I also understand why they don't because football's mindset is a short term business! If only they had a better TV deal! 😉

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm sure it will be played in some form because it's so lucrative financially, but if some countries are still restricting international travel or enforcing quarantine for new arrivals then it could throw a real spanner in the works.

Europa League to be solely played on a neutral ground in Uzbekistan anyone!? £££££££

I say that slightly facetiously, but this does highlight how little power UEFA actually have!

I am guessing that large gatherings anywhere in Europe will not be allowed until there is a vaccine or treatment ( or not likely but the virus dies ). Even if they were I cannot beleive many people over 50, or anyone with any type of underlying condition and consequently their children, grandchildren would attend anyway. 
There is an outcry ( quite rightly ) about Cheltenham and the Liverpool v Athletico game being played. Will those same people support crowds again until the spread is sorted ? Be very hypocritical if the Mayor of Liverpool gets his public enquiry ( quite right to have an enquiry ) into why this game was played, then campaigned before a vaccine ( or whatever ) to allow crowds at football again. 

4 hours ago, JF said:

Latest from the press 

Ending 2019-20 Premier League season could see 4 clubs go bust

Discussions over what to do next will be shaped by the knowledge that Premier League clubs stand to lose up to £1.137bn collectively if the season does not finish and they have to pay back broadcasting money. 

One executive said clubs could each lose up to £40m if there are no games on television and around £10m if games take place without supporters.

The Independent expand those fears, suggesting Premier League clubs could go bust if the season ends:

Much of that has obviously been influenced by broadcasting contracts, but there is more to it. There is also a fear that up to four Premier League clubs could go into administration if the postponement goes on longer than the summer.

If this is true, why the hell are we the only ones furloughing staff?

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

PS having seen the latest suggestions that venues in London, St Georges Park or Manchester would be used for these "behind closed doors" games how is that fair?

Every single game becomes an away game for us. Players no doubt in a hotel for a month. Whereas London or Manchester based players presumably in their own homes, using their own training grounds etc.

I thought all clubs had to play each other home and away. I wish they'd just give this up Jimbo.

3 minutes ago, The Walking Man said:

This is the PR offensive in response to yesterday's events I suspect. Aimed to try and justify the "restart".

Funny how the tv losses have doubled from what was previously cited and of those Sky have already indicated they won't seek repayment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Walking Man said:

It isn't true.

I used to think Gary Neville was a bit of a twonk but I've changed my mind over the last few months and now think he talks a lot of sense, not just about this subject but on all manner of things. The only thing I noticed this morning was a couple of times he said 'when the Premier League restarts'. In previous interviews that I've seen he's always said 'if the Premier League restarts'. Wonder what he knows. 

Edited by Barry Brockes
Duplication

20 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

None of the solutions is fair and only one of the solutions looks reasonably safe from succesful legal action. Namely if the government copied France and ordered, force majeure, that football could not restart until the late summer or autumn.

The likelihood of that increased today but I still think this government will try very hard to find reasons to agree to a restart. Another major league cancelling, and Uefa realising its plans are shot to pieces, might do the trick.

A while back (it seems like an age but probably only four weeks) I did outline a possible scenario. That the major leagues would ignore Uefa and agree to cancel, with the aim of starting the 2020-21 season early in September. So the transfer window could be synchronised continent-wide to run from July 1 to August 31.

The EFL clubs, many on the verge of collapse, could then quickly go into a kind of financial hibernation and the various English football bodies, the TV companies and the government could work on a rescue plan so there was a pyramid left to start again.

As to whether there would be promotion and relegation, as above there isn't a fair and legally-proof solution. I am sure any attempt to relegate teams, no matter what the attempt to justify that, would be hit with massive legal actions.

So I think there may be renewed interest in the Chilean solution, of promoting those from the automatic slots but not relegating. It is not ideal, or legally-proofed. Nothing is. But has the advantages of meaning this season will not have been a complete waste. And the TV companies would be happy with four extra rounds of EPL matches.

Gary Neville today:

And he went on to argue that if there was a bailout package for teams struggling to stay afloat, there would be an easier decision to make about cancelling the season. 'If there was an economic package put in place for football that protects clubs and players for a year, you will then get a sensible decision on health. At the moment in time we’re still seeing economic decisions driving whether or not football comes back.'

8 minutes ago, Barry Brockes said:

I used to think Gary Neville was a bit of a twonk but I've changed my mind over the last few months and now think he talks a lot of sense, not just about this subject but on all manner of things. The only thing I noticed this morning was a couple of times he said 'when the Premier League restarts'. In previous interviews that I've seen he's always said 'if the Premier League restarts'. Wonder what he knows. 

It’s restarting. Common opinion from journalists is that the government is pushing this through as they want it to happen.and the PL want their money. The government need to answer serious questions on why other countries governments and science advisors see football returning as a danger to public health but ours are pushing it through 

9 minutes ago, Barry Brockes said:

He's one of only a few that does make sense.

As I mentioned in my post topic earlier, it was enlightening when he was talking about what Salford are having to do/look at doing.

He was the only one who defended the way we tried to play at Anfield at the start of the season.

2 minutes ago, JF said:

It’s restarting. Common opinion from journalists is that the government is pushing this through as they want it to happen.and the PL want their money. The government need to answer serious questions on why other countries governments and science advisors see football returning as a danger to public health but ours are pushing it through 

Believe it when I see it JF and if it does restart and we get a spike, what then 🤷‍♂️

Not one person has answered what happens if a team catches it after restart.

And its only the premier league that can restart as the cost for all EFL teams to test players regularly is not financially viable (as confirmed by Gary Neville and many others involved in smaller clubs).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Believe it when I see it JF and if it does restart and we get a spike, what then 🤷‍♂️

Not one person has answered what happens if a team catches it after restart.

And its only the premier league that can restart as the cost for all EFL teams to test players regularly is not financially viable (as confirmed by Gary Neville and many others involved in smaller clubs).

Honestly starting to think it’s going to take Germany to realise they can’t pull it off before our government and the PL decide against it. This has just appeared from the national football police chief.

The national football police lead DCC Mark Roberts says playing all remaining matches in 2019-20 season at original venues would "present challenges" and says consideration should be given to decisive games moving to neutral locations to minimise impact on emergency services.

9 minutes ago, JF said:

I have little faith in the decision making of this particular government and why should they treat football any different. You would hope they might say things like the Spanish minister about extreme caution but the mood music has been nothing like this. I trust people like Neville more.

Football is popular and we have a populist-like government perhaps? I keep looking for clues but we don't get them. Other countries have acted and quite decisively.

It is looking like a behind closed doors 'festival of football' ....it even has a political slogan to it. It will go down well with lots of voters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JF said:

Honestly starting to think it’s going to take Germany to realise they can’t pull it off before our government and the PL decide against it. This has just appeared from the national football police chief.

The national football police lead DCC Mark Roberts says playing all remaining matches in 2019-20 season at original venues would "present challenges" and says consideration should be given to decisive games moving to neutral locations to minimise impact on emergency services.

The Germany bit is coming, they remove the tight reigns and guess what, its reported that they have seen a jump in cases again.

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I have little faith in the decision making of this particular government and why should they treat football any different. You would hope they might say things like the Spanish minister about extreme caution but the mood music has been nothing like this. I trust people like Neville more.

Football is popular and we have a populist-like government perhaps? I keep looking for clues but we don't get them. Other countries have acted and quite decisively.

It is looking like a behind closed doors 'festival of football' ....it even has a political slogan to it. It will go down well with lots of voters.

Even if this happens (which I don't believe it will) this only covers the PL, so what happens in the EFL.

Or are they going to invite Leeds and West Brom to the festival 🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Even if this happens (which I don't believe it will) this only covers the PL, so what happens in the EFL.

Or are they going to invite Leeds and West Brom to the festival 🤦‍♂️

Oh don't! I cant even stomach the idea of a festival in the first place. Talk about the need for some good news!!

• Like 1

The more I hear Gary Neville  the more I respect what he says. He sounds as if he has actually looked into what it is hes talking  about and his opinions seems well informed and balanced. Not a bad pundit either, and quite self deprecating when doing his one on ones in front of the telly with other footy stars. Seems to really appreciate the career that he had and would be a good man to have somewhere in the structure of the National game.  His experiences at Salford  have give  him  a totally new perspective on the game from the players eye view that he had before. Took me a while to get past who he used to play for though. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Oh I don't know. I was looking forward to Glastonbury.

Not the beer festival then....

🍺🍺🍺

It’s ok people, the Leeds fans on Waccoe have solved the entire problem! here is the work of absolute genius in all its entirety...

“This probably will sound stupid, but why don't they let the bottom 3 stay in Prem, promote 3 from Championship, but the 3 from the Prem go onto Parachute payments, and not Prem Money. Do you think the bottom 3 would go for it?”

replies so far...

“Yes it does, why the **** would everything else get decided as it should but not this ...............I don't get this idea of pandering to failing teams “

“ if the Prem insist on them staying up. I agree they need to get relegated, but if they stay up they should be penalised financially. “

“If they stay up it would be a condition. It's only an idea. Obviously if the Prem insist on relegating no one, they shouldn't be allowed to profit from it imo“
Edited by JF

Matches at original venues 'present challenges' to emergency services

Share this with Email Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with Whatsapp

Image copyrightGETTY IMAGESPolice on horseback outside Anfield
Image captionThere are 92 fixtures to be played in the Premier League, and 341 remaining in the EFL

Playing all remaining Premier League and EFL fixtures at their original venues would "present challenges" to the emergency services, says the national lead for football policing.

Deputy chief constable Mark Roberts says "options" need to be looked at.

The Premier League has told its clubs only "approved venues" will be used, raising the possibility of matches being played at neutral grounds.

Further details will be provided to clubs at a meeting on Friday.

There are 92 fixtures in the current campaign left to be played in the Premier League, and 341 remaining across the Championship and Leagues One and Two.

"Playing all those fixtures [in the original venues] would present challenges," said Roberts. "That's an awful lot of people moving around the country.

"I think we all need to look at options about what games absolutely need to be played.

"Let's look at how they can be managed, potentially at their own stadiums, but equally whether we can see benefits of playing at a neutral, controlled venue, both from the health aspects of it but also minimising any disruption to the police, the ambulance service and all those other functions that are going to be stretched as we go back to normality.

"There's common sense and I think any group of football fans can probably highlight now the fixtures that are probably likely to generate attention.

"One of the things that the Premier League and the Football League are acutely aware of is that clubs would have to get the message out that if matches are taking place they need the continued buy-in of supporters and the public.

"There might be a fair deal that if people start gathering and causing public health or public order issues then that might mean that games can't actually go on."

Earlier in April, culture secretary Oliver Dowden said the Premier League was considering making some behind-closed-doors fixtures available free-to-airwhen the season restarts.

Plans to resume the Premier League season stepped up this week in what has been labelled 'Project Restart' , with Arsenal, Brighton and West Ham opening their training grounds to players for individual work on Monday.

The league is hopeful of a potential 8 June restart and finishing at the end of July to fit in with Uefa's European competition plans. This would require full training to begin by 18 May.

The EFL is also expected this week to further develop its contingency plans before the potential resumption.

Copyright © 2020 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Gary Neville is on social media calling out the culture and Sports secretary to give an interview on sky sports