pete

9th June d Day for PL

The 9th June is the date pencilled in for the resumption of the 19/20 PL season, provided the Gov't gives the go ahead.  Training expected to commence for each team by 9th May.  Nothing to report on EFL presume looking at same time period.

This means season to extend beyond 30th June unless the PL impose a ridiculous schedule to finish by this date.  Can see if this becomes a reality more than a few injuries will be sustained.

However the timetable still looks to be unlikely the 9th May is less than two weeks away and lockdown has another two weeks before next review.       

But some are already taking the mick by training already Pete. That is a slap in the face to other people who are not allowed the same privilege.

Come on Boris, prove you are a leader and tell them the same rules apply to all people.

Or will these clubs say they are so special and so important they can do what they like

"Or will these clubs say they are so special and so important they can do what they like."

Fair enough, but the aim must be to get back to as near normal as is possible and not just for business sake but also for the sake of general morale. Football, all sport, will be a major contributory to that. A diet of Netflix and catch up wears thin. Sport (spectator or otherwise) is one of the best tonics there is for a highly stressed population.

I notice that the British GP is planned (spectator-less) as well. This has to be a good thing if it becomes possible in some cautious way.

It's all ambitious in my view, but whether it becomes dangerous or not need be the yardstick. 

"Show me the steep and thorny way to heaven,
Whiles, like a puff' d and reckless libertine,
Himself the primrose path of dalliance treads,
And reaks not his own rede."

It's not indulgence as Shaky Bill saw it, it's a necessity.

Edited by BroadstairsR

It is suggested too this is behind closed doors! With several EFL clubs on the brink I cannot see this happening, because even behind closed doors, it will cost the clubs concerned to hold matches, and they don’t have an income!

1 minute ago, City 2nd said:

It is suggested too this is behind closed doors! With several EFL clubs on the brink I cannot see this happening, because even behind closed doors, it will cost the clubs concerned to hold matches, and they don’t have an income!

oh dear, they actually do the TV money and the percentage of ST sold and the pro rata sponsors money

What happened to the issue of 30th June cut off for contracts/loans etc? They aren't going to finish the season by the 30th June if they start on the 6th. It's all still too ambiguous at this stage for me. All it takes is one positive test and the house of cards fall down. 

Fair enough, but the aim must be to get back to as near normal as is possible and not just for business sake but also for the sake of general morale. Football, all sport, will be a major contributory to that.

I agree we are all desperate to get back to normal. Apart from my Grandson who lives with us, I haven't seen my family for weeks. I haven't played golf or had a pint in the local.

But will it be OK for football to flout the rules. Can you spit? Most do after running around. Will they wash their hands often during the match? Will they wear masks?

Everyone will be expected to do this.

And as for testing, they will need almost 30K just for the EPL and FA Cup. Why should they have more than one  when the rest of us will never have one?

oh dear, they actually do the TV money and the percentage of ST sold and the pro rata sponsors money

The EPL might Bill but the EFL won't

• Like 1

I am worried that if the season doesn’t start soon Tim Kloses right arm may well suffer an RSI resulting in him spending even more time not playing 

• Haha 1

"But will it be OK for football to flout the rules. Can you spit? Most do after running around. Will they wash their hands often during the match? Will they wear masks?"

There's no easy way, but with society curled up in a little ball in deference to this plague we have to start somewhere.

If it's for the general good then there have to be exceptions and obstacles need overcoming, step by step.

This is not a cry to end lockdown, far from it, but more for that gradual approach towards normality that has been mooted.

Edited by BroadstairsR

13 minutes ago, Bill said:

Eh?

I am worried that if the season doesn’t start soon Tim Kloses right arm may well suffer an RSI resulting in him spending even more time not playing 

He gets to 99 and changes hands

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

What TV money will the lower leagues receive that they haven't had already. Wasn’t that part of the problem with TV companies stating they would require repayment if the season wasn’t finished!  Wasn’t that one of the major concerns? The majority of clubs supporters are paying for next seasons season tickets, several clubs who have suspended their sale. So what percentage of sales will they have acquired?

Several league 2 and 1 clubs are saying that they can’t financially restart this season so I wouldn’t expect to see those leagues continue 

Several league 2 and 1 clubs are saying that they can’t financially restart this season so I wouldn’t expect to see those leagues continue 

So why does the EPL think it is different from other football? Because of the CL. I like when they talk of losing the TV money from the CL when they haven't even had it yet.

Edited by keelansgrandad

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

So why does the EPL think it is different from other football? Because of the CL.

15 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

I think he is ambidextrous.

50 minutes ago, Bill said:

Oh dear, City 2nd said EFL not EPL but City 1st was, as usual, a bit too fast out of the traps.😀

Puzzled why you think clubs will get ST money for if they do play it'll be behind closed doors. Fans will be entitled to a refund.

39 minutes ago, JF said:

Agreed - So if those leagues do not continue how does relegation and promotion pan out?

it makes the whole scenario impossible!

2 minutes ago, City 2nd said:

Agreed - So if those leagues do not continue how does relegation and promotion pan out?

it makes the whole scenario impossible!

I’ve no idea, it’s getting more and more farcical by the day. We’re now apparently playing our remaining ‘home’ games in Burton and changing the number of subs allowed from 3 to 5. All for the integrity of the game....

I have got to the stage where i really do not care whether this season is finished or not and if we end up playing in the EPL or the EFL. I just want football back as we all know it.

• Like 1

Agree with that. Read yet another scientist/expert who was of the  view that the virus lasts 70 days and withers away (obviously with a long tail to it) so if he is correct then you could see football soon.

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Oh dear, City 2nd said EFL not EPL but City 1st was, as usual, a bit too fast out of the traps.😀

Puzzled why you think clubs will get ST money for if they do play it'll be behind closed doors. Fans will be entitled to a refund.

Too ****ing right I'll want a refund.

And if footballers return to work, then so will I. If the Govt want this then they better have a plan for the rest of us.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

I have got to the stage where i really do not care whether this season is finished or not and if we end up playing in the EPL or the EFL. I just want football back as we all know it.

Same here, life is more important than football and some of the comments coming out of football have shown it up for what it is nowadays ruined by too much money. 

From a business perspective NCFC look likely to suffer far more than those clubs owned by billionaire owners simply because we seek to live within our means and do not want to go into debt. With the bullish attitude to complete this season at all costs it’s beginning now to look likely that we will not only be relegated (unless playing on neutral grounds to no fans gives us more of a chance to win more games) but also lose a significant amount of income from our season in the PL that will impact greatly on being in a strong financial position to return straightway. 

26 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Totally agree John - football without fans has zero meaning. So this years FA Cup Final will be played 'behind closed doors' on some empty, soulless training pitch at St. Georges Park potentially!! Season should have been ended by now with the league placings standing for promotion, relegation, european qualification etc.Either that or an 'average points per game' ranking for the season up to the point when the matches stopped.  

All too simplistic.

Football without fans has, in fact,  much meaning in a time when all need an uplift. It is question of morale.

Your statement refers to a time when things were normal, whereas we are in an abnormal situation. Standard thinking becomes irrelevant.

Current media coverage suggests that the general public is relaxing with regards to lockdown restrictions. This could spell danger.

Some form of televised resumption of football (and other sports eg.F.1) could be vital in relieving this frustration.

Nothing will be perfect... we know that. An attempt has to be made, however flawed and difficult.

The alternative is to rollover and let the plague win. There is a lot of economic sense in making some effort at resumption as well, but this is dealt with thoroughly in other threads.

Edited by BroadstairsR

52 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Totally agree John - football without fans has zero meaning. So this years FA Cup Final will be played 'behind closed doors' on some empty, soulless training pitch at St. Georges Park potentially!! Season should have been ended by now with the league placings standing for promotion, relegation, european qualification etc.Either that or an 'average points per game' ranking for the season up to the point when the matches stopped.  

Neither of those solutions you suggest are fair. In my view it either has to be completed or voided. There is no fudged middle ground.

• Like 2

Sitting in my armchair watching a game played possibly in a neutral venue but in any case with no crowd and devoid of any atmosphere has absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever and if anybody suggests it will uplift my morale i beg to differ.

• Like 6

Sitting in my armchair watching a game played possibly in a neutral venue but in any case with no crowd and devoid of any atmosphere has absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever and if anybody suggests it will uplift my morale i beg to differ.

Quite correct. I think it may make my well being evaporate. It will be like on of those Norwich Boys matches they used to play after a first team game in the 1960s.

If it is allowed to go ahead then I will try and find a way of protesting. If it goes ahead, then reopen pubs. Every person will have a valid reason for saying ignore lockdown completely. I want my golf club reopened. Let people go to the beach.

Of course, it is wrong what I am saying because we should all avoid normal life as much as possible for as long as it takes. But if the Government allows this to happen then they are proving what a bunch of weak willed namby pamby money grabbing wasters they are.

Lives don’t matter as long as we manage to play a few games of football

Would be laughable if it wasn’t so serious