Jump to content
Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

I hope that the UK government stick to their guns when it comes to not letting in a load of UEFA officials without quarantine 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9699193/Uefa-threatens-strip-Wembley-Euro-2020-final-unless-VIPs-allowed-WITHOUT-quarantining.html

or they could just allow double vaccinated people to travel without quarantine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Grandson had to isolate as his mate's girlfriend tested positive. But now he has been sent a new testing kit. If he tests negative, he does not have to self isolate for 24 hours until he takes the next test.

Perhaps these officials could arrive after two jabs, a negative PCR and then take these new tests.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scientists say third wave now here, Johnson strikes again, wonder how he will trigger fourth, fifth etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CANARYKING said:

Scientists say third wave now here, Johnson strikes again, wonder how he will trigger fourth, fifth etc etc.

Another new variant would be my guess, he doesn't seem to have learnt anything from his many previous mistakes so I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Another new variant would be my guess, he doesn't seem to have learnt anything from his many previous mistakes so I can't see that changing anytime soon.

The wags on social media have dubbed this the Johnson Variant. I wonder what the next will be called, Hancock's Malady?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Scientists say third wave now here, Johnson strikes again, wonder how he will trigger fourth, fifth etc etc.

Very nice of the scientists to notice the 3rd wave, considering it started 3 or 4 weeks ago. Johnson strikes again?..im sorry i was under the illusion that it was Covid and its variants causing these waves. Around 230 nations on this planet, vast majority of whom are getting these waves of Covid..so you are expecting Boris to have some magical wand to himself trigger these waves all by himself?...and i guess you  blame his triggering by delaying Indian  people coming in to the UK by a few days to late?..be real..these variants will get into most nations sooner or later..im sure Boris has made mistakes...he's human...as has every single leader and government in the world.

Anyways, yes, hospital admissions have increased from very slight to slow to medium now and deaths are just starting to see  very slight rises so..no doubt that this 3rd wave has different circumstances to the first two..we are riding it with much less lockdown than before, with vaccination program protecting hundreds of thousands more each day and with the majority of infections being with the younger generation. The pro active start that the government had on vaccination right from the early days has  helped immensely of course but most praise to the NHS and all the volunteers associated with making it happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

UK continues to drop down the table of the worst hit countries in deaths per million of the population ( now 19th). Argentina and Columbia have just sailed past.

European cases have finally dropped below ours but their deaths have continued to be ten to twenty times higher for past 3 months. A sign of our higher vax'd numbers presumably. I also expect the Delta variant to hit there shortly.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edited by ricardo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ricardo said:

National

10321 - 14

Local

image.png.1de577b84a35fdb85a9f020166a7647c.png

image.thumb.png.173d81b4757305a4862395c420de42af.png

image.thumb.png.ac31676fff0000ccda723486d2d57a9a.png

Vax still a bit below par.

image.thumb.png.58b523b368a4cf27f15150a8a31d2152.png

Stable figures, notice hospitalisation not moving either, looks like this so called third wave is in the Young which  basically means no real impact to the important two measures, carry on like this and we’ll move into the next phase next month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ricardo said:

UK continues to drop down the table of the worst hit countries in deaths per million of the population ( now 19th). Argentina and Columbia have just sailed past.

European cases have finally dropped below ours but their deaths have continued to be ten to twenty times higher for past 3 months. A sign of our higher vax'd numbers presumably. I also expect the Delta variant to hit there shortly.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Yep, its already being reported on the continent and they will be following our curve on this occasion, with probably more serious consequences due to the lower number of vaccinated individuals. I would expect Italy France and the UK all to end up with very similar outcomes on deaths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/06/2021 at 12:31, horsefly said:

You never contribute anything but your disgusting prejudices and your hideous apologising for a convicted paedophile. If you think I'm going to let you get away with that think again. The fact you have never apologised for your degenerate comments says everything anyone needs to know about what sort of morally depraved individual you are.

Another thread but not this one. You're derailing it with non Corona virus stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Essjayess said:

Very nice of the scientists to notice the 3rd wave, considering it started 3 or 4 weeks ago. Johnson strikes again?..im sorry i was under the illusion that it was Covid and its variants causing these waves. Around 230 nations on this planet, vast majority of whom are getting these waves of Covid..so you are expecting Boris to have some magical wand to himself trigger these waves all by himself?...and i guess you  blame his triggering by delaying Indian  people coming in to the UK by a few days to late?..be real..these variants will get into most nations sooner or later..im sure Boris has made mistakes...he's human...as has every single leader and government in the world.

Anyways, yes, hospital admissions have increased from very slight to slow to medium now and deaths are just starting to see  very slight rises so..no doubt that this 3rd wave has different circumstances to the first two..we are riding it with much less lockdown than before, with vaccination program protecting hundreds of thousands more each day and with the majority of infections being with the younger generation. The pro active start that the government had on vaccination right from the early days has  helped immensely of course but most praise to the NHS and all the volunteers associated with making it happen.

Agree with most of this but most praise needs to go to Kate Bingham for her work in negotiating the procurement of vaccines from a multiplicity of sources while every other country was sleeping. 

It was a massive coup to procure the Pfizer vaccines from a German lab 2ith cast iron contracts that guaranteed our early supplies and has saved so many lives. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a massive coup to procure the Pfizer vaccines from a German lab 2ith cast iron contracts that guaranteed our early supplies and has saved so many lives. 
 

Is that the same Pfizer that have just done a deal with Germany to provide ( and manufacture ) 1.8 billion Pfizer doses. Unfortunately the war of nationalism killed and carries on killing 10’s of thousands around the world, with an estimated 1.2 billion vaccine doses that could have been manufactured and exported being wasted. 
To quote Johnson in June 2020 any Country ( and there are now plenty of them ) that vaccinate their citizens below the age 50 other than health workers and extremely vulnerable before the same is done throughout the world would be ‘ immoral ‘. 
If only we had followed your mate Ivor Cummins.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, just sitting on a nice plastic chair. It's a bit slower than last time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most businesses have problems with removing screens and giving up masks. I asked a lady encouraging the use of foam antiseptic in a bank, what will happen next month when the freedom we never had hits our shores again' will we get arrested for wearing masks in a bank'? she said ' or for wearing motorbike helmets, you will have to take them off'. 

What when all the guards, 4 per floor, in our concentration/quarantine camps are removed and one is allowed to speak to those in quarantine about their paid for experience?

Plastic screens, now found to be not much safer than no barriers, will be removed, and snide remarks about masks, replaced by a grunt in one's direction.  Lets hope people find enough courage to get back on to public transport and cllrs will be made to utilise their  much adapted council chambers again, rather than spend money on large halls so they can sit far apart from each other, as if distance to each other ever bothered them before.

Medical appointments will be the key when such 'freedom' ever is allowed to be bestowed on us, for them to change emergency laws would have to be removed first, imho. Much will change in the NHS when it is fully privatised and the blueprint for it will be this pandemic and its emergency laws, sadly.

Freedom sounds good to us, but control of the masses is better for those addicted to edicts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brazil followed the Ivor Cummings model, remember him, and had we listened this would have been where the world would be now.

Now we can bring you more from Brazil, where thousands of people protested against the government's handling of the Covid-19 pandemic on Saturday.

They took to the streets of cities across the country as the country's death toll surpassed 500,000.

At these protests much of the fury was aimed at Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro, who has been criticised for his scepticism towards vaccines, lockdowns and mask-wearing.

President Bolsonaro insists he has done all he can to buy vaccines, but many cities have struggled with insufficient doses.

"He took too long to buy the vaccine," Denise Azevedo, one demonstrator in Rio de Janeiro, told Reuters news agency.

"Herd immunity won't do any good. The only immunity you can get is with the vaccine. There is no early treatment. I have lost millions of friends, almost lost a cousin... people are orphans, fatherless, motherless, and childless."

Other protests accused President Bolsonaro of denying the reality of the Covid crisis in Brazil.

"His position on Covid and his denialism are absurd. He has abandoned reality and common sense," Robert Almeida, a 50-year-old photographer marching in Rio, told AFP news agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ricardo said:

UK continues to drop down the table of the worst hit countries in deaths per million of the population ( now 19th). Argentina and Columbia have just sailed past.

European cases have finally dropped below ours but their deaths have continued to be ten to twenty times higher for past 3 months. A sign of our higher vax'd numbers presumably. I also expect the Delta variant to hit there shortly.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Not sure that makes our massive death toll any better.

Thats like having an 8 at golf and saying its OK as my opponent had a 9.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Well b back said:

Brazil followed the Ivor Cummings model, remember him, and had we listened this would have been where the world would be now.

Now we can bring you more from Brazil, where thousands of people protested against the government's handling of the Covid-19 pandemic on Saturday.

They took to the streets of cities across the country as the country's death toll surpassed 500,000.

At these protests much of the fury was aimed at Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro, who has been criticised for his scepticism towards vaccines, lockdowns and mask-wearing.

President Bolsonaro insists he has done all he can to buy vaccines, but many cities have struggled with insufficient doses.

"He took too long to buy the vaccine," Denise Azevedo, one demonstrator in Rio de Janeiro, told Reuters news agency.

"Herd immunity won't do any good. The only immunity you can get is with the vaccine. There is no early treatment. I have lost millions of friends, almost lost a cousin... people are orphans, fatherless, motherless, and childless."

Other protests accused President Bolsonaro of denying the reality of the Covid crisis in Brazil.

"His position on Covid and his denialism are absurd. He has abandoned reality and common sense," Robert Almeida, a 50-year-old photographer marching in Rio, told AFP news agency.

Different approaches WBB. This recent article is of interest I believe.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00978-8/fulltext

It was posted by Alice Roberts in relation to this Lancet article and research and this is her quote:

"Opinions are cheap but evidence is better. The countries who pursued maximum suppression have the best health outcomes, the best economic outcomes AND the least infringement of civil liberties. This is not opinion - it's fact"

 

And whilst I'm posting this I include another interesting article she has posted (click below) about Long Covid and younger people. 

 

 

Edited by sonyc
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Van wink said:

Yep, its already being reported on the continent and they will be following our curve on this occasion, with probably more serious consequences due to the lower number of vaccinated individuals. I would expect Italy France and the UK all to end up with very similar outcomes on deaths.

More than half of new Covid-19 cases in Lisbon region are Delta variant

Over half the new Covid-19 cases being reported in the Lisbon region are of the more infectious Delta coronavirus variant, preliminary data showed on Sunday as Portugueseauthorities scramble to curb a worrying spike in infections.

Ricardo Jorge, the national health institute, said the Delta variant represented more than 60% of cases in the Lisbon area though still less than 15% in the northern half of Portugal.

The Alpha variant, which was previously dominant in Britain, is more prevalent across Portugal’s north, representing 80% of infections there and only 30% in and around Lisbon, according to the institute.

Portugal posted over 1,000 new Covid-19 cases for the fourth straight day on Saturday and the number of people testing newly positive every 24 hours is back to late February levels, when the country was still under lockdown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Different approaches WBB. This recent article is of interest I believe.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00978-8/fulltext

It was posted by Alice Roberts in relation to this Lancet article and research and this is her quote:

"Opinions are cheap but evidence is better. The countries who pursued maximum suppression have the best health outcomes, the best economic outcomes AND the least infringement of civil liberties. This is not opinion - it's fact"

 

And whilst I'm posting this I include another interesting article she has posted (click below) about Long Covid and younger people. 

 

 

Exactly my long standing concerns with the young being left to suffer Covid and belittling long covid.

Spot on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Van wink said:

More than half of new Covid-19 cases in Lisbon region are Delta variant

Over half the new Covid-19 cases being reported in the Lisbon region are of the more infectious Delta coronavirus variant, preliminary data showed on Sunday as Portugueseauthorities scramble to curb a worrying spike in infections.

Ricardo Jorge, the national health institute, said the Delta variant represented more than 60% of cases in the Lisbon area though still less than 15% in the northern half of Portugal.

The Alpha variant, which was previously dominant in Britain, is more prevalent across Portugal’s north, representing 80% of infections there and only 30% in and around Lisbon, according to the institute.

Portugal posted over 1,000 new Covid-19 cases for the fourth straight day on Saturday and the number of people testing newly positive every 24 hours is back to late February levels, when the country was still under lockdown.

If it is only just hitting I would think they are more protected than we were in April, but I am not sure exactly what our figure was in April but as at yesterday for instance Germany were 65,738,489 doses given 50.6 % 1st dose 31.5 % fully vaccinated and approaching 1 million doses per day. They are also using mainly Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson and Johnson, the first 2 a much shorter gap to second dose, Johnson and Johnson only needing 1 dose. Like ourselves I am sure Germany would feel case numbers will go up over the next 3 weeks, but if the U.K. figures hold up, their current hospitalisations and deaths will continue to fall in exactly the same way ours did. This all assumes they did not change track and start vaccinating lower age groups, but I can find nothing to suggest they are not going in age order.

It maybe America that struggles more than anyone in the rich countries as their vaccinations grind to a big slow down ( they are now only doing a million a day ) not due to vaccine shortages but the reluctance of a big proportion of US citizens refusing the jab.

Of course the biggest fear going forward is the vaccines losing efficacy in the older groups at 9 - 12 months, but I suspect the 60 million Pfizer doses that we have recently purchased to arrive in September / October will be used on adults during the autumn to nullify this possibility. I suspect as well it means you guys in the Oxford club will be getting a 3rd jab of Pfizer. Of course nobody knows how long the vaccines will be effective for. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Exactly my long standing concerns with the young being left to suffer Covid and belittling long covid.

Spot on.

Indeed the government has always been not very forthcoming on long COVID and the figures. I suspect we will be hearing much more about long COVID and extra things you will be allowed to do if you have 2 doses in the next few days as the government try to increase uptake in the younger groups. I only have this information second hand from Twitter ect but Villa Park has been a walk in all weekend but nowhere near the expected take up.

I am not sure how you measure long COVID against deaths but I saw a figure the other day that for every healthy person under 50 that is saved in the rich countries 32 vulnerable people will die in poorer countries that had not yet been vaccinated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Testings these days kind of take a back seat to actual vaccinations, when this time last year they made up so much of the Covid news, but its worth a mention that UK testings reached the 200 million mark today and tests per head of population still put UK in the top spot of all nations  in the world with above 10 mill population.

So yes those first couple months when Covid hit the UK was  very slow off the mark to react, but once things got moving no other major nation has come close to matching our combined testing and vaccination programs. Our NHS may always seem to be under the cosh these days but my goodness they and a heap of volunteers  again and again show how wonderful they are, doing  an almost herculean task every day and every week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

National

9284 - 6

levelling out.

Local

image.png.f5d58ae373b323652bbb2f9f88fc9187.png

image.thumb.png.4828eb6f97cf7e569ca25753ca126d21.png

image.thumb.png.87d42137b543612ed2f1503472eefd97.png

An improved Vax effort.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Well b back said:

It maybe America that struggles more than anyone in the rich countries as their vaccinations grind to a big slow down ( they are now only doing a million a day ) not due to vaccine shortages but the reluctance of a big proportion of US citizens refusing the jab.

In large part because one of the two major political parties and it’s media allies have been actively campaigning AGAINST vaccinations for months. The data is already showing a higher infection rate for the Delta variant in States having the misfortune to be run by that party… 

Edited by Surfer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...