Fiery Zac

Women’s World Cup

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Weird to watch an England v Argentina game where England are so superior.

England need to score.

Gave it a look for ten minutes.

Nah

Now watching Code 37 **** Crimes. In the original Flemish.

Very good cross, the stubborn argie  defence has finally been undone.

20 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Gave it a look for ten minutes.

Nah

Now watching Code 37 **** Crimes. In the original Flemish.

Cool.

Anything else you're not watching?

13 minutes ago, king canary said:

Cool.

Anything else you're not watching?

Niet veel

In case you didn't know there is a rather prestigious men's football tournament starting today in Brazil...that's right the "Copa America " The South American Equivalent of the European Championship with a couple of guest countries invited  in to make it more interesting.But you can  bet your bottom dollar that it will be halfway down the main sports pages below the pig's garbage that is the  woman's world cup. Women's football is absolutely  awful, we know it, they know it, everyone knows it but no one is allowed to say it.... The FA and clubs spend millions on the women's game to make it professional and pretend they are on a level with men. If that was the case why are the grounds virtually empty when they play and why does no one except the PC mad BBC even give them any coverage? the fact that the FA choose to focus on their looks to try and raise some interest speaks volumes.

39 minutes ago, George Smiley said:

In case you didn't know there is a rather prestigious men's football tournament starting today in Brazil...that's right the "Copa America " The South American Equivalent of the European Championship with a couple of guest countries invited  in to make it more interesting.But you can  bet your bottom dollar that it will be halfway down the main sports pages below the pig's garbage that is the  woman's world cup. Women's football is absolutely  awful, we know it, they know it, everyone knows it but no one is allowed to say it.... The FA and clubs spend millions on the women's game to make it professional and pretend they are on a level with men. If that was the case why are the grounds virtually empty when they play and why does no one except the PC mad BBC even give them any coverage? the fact that the FA choose to focus on their looks to try and raise some interest speaks volumes.

Ah yes, finally some discussion of the much under recognised men's game.

I was really quite impressed watching tonight. Ok so you could argue it lacks the power of the mans game, but I have got to say the way England played was superb. Perhaps George you should try watching a game, you might be pleasantly surprised .

• Like 1

I’m waiting for a women’s team to adopt the Spanish short ball game, it would seem to be ideal for the physical attributes of most women footballers. Right now everyone wants to play like a men’s international team and either defend in depth or run the channels. The latter is being destroyed by bad decision making and poor passing and shooting skills. So it’s been mainly a series of games waiting for a mistake. 

Poor stuff so far then, although to be fair the Argentine goalkeeper has put the “no good goalkeepers” meme to rest, and the England goal was very well executed as well. More of that please as the competition continues. 

On 14/06/2019 at 23:27, George Smiley said:

I would be happy to see more coverage of the South American game in particular, but news organisations do market research to find out what their readers/listeners/viewers care about, and prioritise accordingly.

And the Copa America is supposed to be a four-yearly tournament between  teams, mainly from South America, to determine the best. But this year there are invited teams (Japan and Qatar), which devalues the event as a genuine competition. And there is another Copa America next year!

And this is not the first time the event has been held in consecutive years. Apparently the aim, after 2020, is to get back to a four-year cycle, with the next competition in 2024. So it seems that out of the two years it is the 2020 tournament that is more like the genuine article.

5 hours ago, Surfer said:

I’m waiting for a women’s team to adopt the Spanish short ball game, it would seem to be ideal for the physical attributes of most women footballers. Right now everyone wants to play like a men’s international team and either defend in depth or run the channels. The latter is being destroyed by bad decision making and poor passing and shooting skills. So it’s been mainly a series of games waiting for a mistake. 

Poor stuff so far then, although to be fair the Argentine goalkeeper has put the “no good goalkeepers” meme to rest, and the England goal was very well executed as well. More of that please as the competition continues. 

Good point, but having said that England use their quick wingers well and do have some big lasses who can put the ball in the net...occasionally!

i do find the high pitched screeching from the crowd a bit off putting though!

5 hours ago, Surfer said:

The Spain team play that way in women’s football also. 

However, the biggest exponents of that style are Japan who won the 2011 World Cup, Silver at the 2012 Olympics and runners up at the 2015 World Cup despite many of the players being semi-pro, using a short passing game. 

The USA have always used the fact they are full time professional and fitter and stronger than most women’s teams to bully them a bit. As more players are going pro this isn’t as easy anymore.

Obviously playing the short passing game is hard for international teams (men’s and women’s) due to lack of time together to develop the understandings it takes to master the style. Most men’s international teams also tend to play a much more basic style of football. 

On 09/06/2019 at 22:20, ron obvious said:

I just don't understand why people watch women's football at all. It's simply not very good.

Presumably you don't watch it then, so your argument is invalid as you can't have any idea what women's football is like so your opinion is based on assumption.

In terms of watching it, I have watched England and I am quite happy to take it in context. It simply doesn't come anywhere near the men's game but in terms of watching two teams having a go, it evokes the same emotions.

However as soon as the pundits get involved, they talk about it in the same way as the men's game and that is silly. It is just a game in its own right played with the same rules, pitch etc.

Goalkeeping is hardly junior football standard and until that is remedied which I think is highly unlikely, they can all forget about its impact. In fact if England hadn't finished third last time out, no-one would have taken much notice.

I'm really enjoying it.  Some of the goals have been of a high quality, some have been pretty ****.  The tactical approach has been interesting, although some of the application has been woeful.  Generally the goalkeeping has improved immeasurably from say 5 years ago.  And there are certainly more physical attributes starting to be displayed in that some of the fouls have been of the Wimbledon school of football.  But it has also been good to see the new laws being introduced, along with a real work out of VAR, in advance of the coming season.  

Sure it doesn't compare directly to men's football, but no-one said it should either!  Apart from the fact that the so called best England squad for years fail to live up to the hype - same as it ever was in the men's game.  Plus ca change!

4 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I'm really enjoying it.  Some of the goals have been of a high quality, some have been pretty ****.  The tactical approach has been interesting, although some of the application has been woeful.  Generally the goalkeeping has improved immeasurably from say 5 years ago.  And there are certainly more physical attributes starting to be displayed in that some of the fouls have been of the Wimbledon school of football.  But it has also been good to see the new laws being introduced, along with a real work out of VAR, in advance of the coming season.  

Sure it doesn't compare directly to men's football, but no-one said it should either!  Apart from the fact that the so called best England squad for years fail to live up to the hype - same as it ever was in the men's game.  Plus ca change!

Yep it doesn’t compare with men’s football but as you say it shouldn’t. I like watching women’s golf, it appears to me their swings are so much more controlled than some of the men and for the comparative strength they get huge distances. Most amateurs would probably benefit from modelling their swing on a professional woman rather than a man.

Watching ladies footy I compare it to youth football, that’s not meant to be detrimental, it’s just you start off with different expectations and can still enjoy play that is high standard in the context of the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

I like watching women’s golf, it appears to me their swings are so much more controlled than some of the men and for the comparative strength they get huge distances. Most amateurs would probably benefit from modelling their swing on a professional woman rather than a man.

Paige Spirinac's swing is well worth studying.....

12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Paige Spirinac's swing is well worth studying.....

Certainly a well rounded swing

LDC, I cant help but feel like I'm about to absolutely blow your mind with the concept of actual p*rn websites.. 

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

I wonder if she’s ever had a hole in one ?

I had better not change the words around.

• Haha 1

Jesus, just have a ****. 

As for the actual thread topic (rather than the middle-aged, sexually frustrated and subconsciously misogynistic route some **** less has beens seem intent on turning it into), I'm getting well into this World Cup. Didn't think I would beyond paying attention and occasionally watching the England games but I've watched almost as many games as I've missed. Might not have the quality but it certainly has the entertainment.