Alex Moss

A couple of transfer rumours...

I see we're also getting linked with Assombalonga from Middlesbrough, competing with the Blades. 

Edited by Fuzzar

Rhys James has/is meant to be signing a new contract. I suppose his involvement in the first team may depend on their transfer ban, would be good if we could pull it off. I imagine their would be a lot of competition for him. As for Assombalonga I can see this just being more James Nursey drivel. Far too many made up transfer stories at the moment, with Norwich & Sheffield Utd always linked. I'm guessing they'll be a third name added to these rumors after the playoff final...

I wouldn't be surprised if W&F are not going out of their way to hide where their scouts are going and who they are interested in. Given our well documented successes over the last year or so, other clubs scouting resources may well get tied up in keeping an eye on what we do. (Like some sort of a derivative of the Bielsa approach to sleuthing 🔭 )

And then, as Alex Moss says, we produce some nugget from Argentine 2nd division.  (Although in the spirit of fairness, one should point out there are other countries with equally as capable 2nd divisions). :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Some good points here. Am I right in thinking that Webber said he likes to get transfer business done as early as possible? I wouldn’t be surprised to see a signing announced very soon.

read somewhere that the European transfer window doesn't open until 16th June.... likely we will hear about any signings after that date.     Can't see us operating in the home market for Premiership standard players with the budget suggested and that's fair enough.

Get the impression there's a sense of excitement about who we might sign.    Hopefully, our recruitment team can deliver AGAIN!    OTBC.  

28 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

read somewhere that the European transfer window doesn't open until 16th June.... likely we will hear about any signings after that date.     Can't see us operating in the home market for Premiership standard players with the budget suggested and that's fair enough.

Get the impression there's a sense of excitement about who we might sign.    Hopefully, our recruitment team can deliver AGAIN!    OTBC.  

It does appear we have a very talented recruitment team so I’m totally with you there, some transfer windows after say relegation are not something I look forward to knowing we are likely to lose our best players. But now we are looking up, a club in the ascendancy, and I would like to think that we’re looking as an attractive proposition as we ever have! I would not be surprised, through our clearly close contact, if we signed a Dortmund striker on loan this summer, one that is in and around the 1st team squad - just a feeling I have.

5 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

It does appear we have a very talented recruitment team so I’m totally with you there, some transfer windows after say relegation are not something I look forward to knowing we are likely to lose our best players. But now we are looking up, a club in the ascendancy, and I would like to think that we’re looking as an attractive proposition as we ever have! I would not be surprised, through our clearly close contact, if we signed a Dortmund striker on loan this summer, one that is in and around the 1st team squad - just a feeling I have.

Can I ask AM, who that Dortmund striker is? I think I have an inkling who as me and my buddy have been discussing the very same - is it that friend of Srbeny?

48 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Alex Issak? I'd be excited if that is the case...

1 hour ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

Can I ask AM, who that Dortmund striker is? I think I have an inkling who as me and my buddy have been discussing the very same - is it that friend of Srbeny?

I think he's saying he just has a feeling that we might... Not that there's anything concrete

1 minute ago, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

No sh1t Lawro 🙂 But I wanted to see whether it was the same guy who had been seen with Srbeny in Nandos. Im not even joking about that part either.

Hahaha! Mate, you know it doesn't count unless they've been seen in Morrison's.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, king canary said:

He does look a good prospect. Tall and rangey, can dribble past players and seems to have a knack of being in the right place at the right time, like all good strikers.

Also... Can take a decent pen!

Just now, BobLoz3 said:

Hahaha! Mate, you know it doesn't count unless they've been seen in Morrison's.

Funny story, I actually sat next to Adam Idah and his mum in the Morrisons cafe whilst they enjoyed a breakfast bap last July. Needless to say I was hungover otherwise I wouldn't have been in there.

47 minutes ago, king canary said:

He is probably already too good for the Eredivisie. Dortmund might be willing to loan him out somewhere else, but more likely, I think,  they will want him back with them.

Just now, Half Ar5ed Hipster said:

Funny story, I actually sat next to Adam Idah and his mum in the Morrisons cafe whilst they enjoyed a breakfast bap last July. Needless to say I was hungover otherwise I wouldn't have been in there.

Difference is, he already plays for us.

And so does his mum. 🤪

• Haha 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2019/05/23/matteo-guendouzi-enjoys-evening-former-teammate-arsenal-target-alexis-claude-maurice-9672356/amp/

Maurice, apparently a target of ours, spotted in London with an Arsenal yoof. Suggestion being he's trying to pull him in arsenals favor. We'd certainly be outbid by them or frankfurt, but I suppose playtime would be in our favor. Looks like a lost cause at this point, but stylistically he would reportedly fit in perfectly.

If these are the types of players we're after, bag a couple and I'll be happy.

Southampton have reportedly told Sam Gallagher he can leave the club, and he's attracting interest from Premier League and Championship clubs. He's 23-years-old, a big lad, and can play out wide or through the middle. 

Is this the sort of player we might be interested in, depending on price? He fits the profile.

The Diagne rumour seems to be something to be reckoned with , although the price tag is very steep...as it is with most of the players that have been linked with us.

Sam Gallagher? I don't think so...is he up to PL standards , while unable to break through at Sot'on?

So, the club has been saying that they had two plans in place for the summer window, depending on which league we were in, as far back as last December, and that they would push the button on whichever one was relevant as soon as we knew. They will have had optimum targets and back up targets for each scenario.

If we had already identified the players we wanted to bring in some months ago most of the deals will already be done and we'll hear about them during June. We might still be chasing one or two late offers but most of the press talk is agent/journalist nonsense and also clubs manipulating opinion. For instance, the decision on Rhodes must have been made ages ago but we'll only hear what it is when the clubs are ready for that information to be released.

20 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

So, the club has been saying that they had two plans in place for the summer window, depending on which league we were in, as far back as last December, and that they would push the button on whichever one was relevant as soon as we knew. They will have had optimum targets and back up targets for each scenario.

If we had already identified the players we wanted to bring in some months ago most of the deals will already be done and we'll hear about them during June. We might still be chasing one or two late offers but most of the press talk is agent/journalist nonsense and also clubs manipulating opinion. For instance, the decision on Rhodes must have been made ages ago but we'll only hear what it is when the clubs are ready for that information to be released.

The club can identify whoever they like, doesn’t mean they can close those deals quickly. 

Norwich getting promoted will mean a lot of clubs they are trying to buy from suddenly putting up their prices, or players wanting extra wages. Some players will have received an offer from somewhere else and some may have picked up injuries. 

The Rhodes thing is a good example of why stuff isn’t always done quickly. There was a clause in the loan that allowed them to make the deal permanent for £7m. Norwich have said although they’d like Rhodes, they aren’t paying £7m. Sheff Wed have said that they expect Norwich to pay that much. Thus the waiting game starts. 

While I expect a one or two things to be announced in the first half of June, I don’t expect Norwich to finish their business until the last week of the window. 

Norwich were successful through playing to a system with players fully buying into it. 

Look at the disruption Oliveira caused. Personality is key. 

If Pukki was out we'd have a problem. Rhodes couldn't replicate him because of the ground he covers and the timing of his runs from deep so crucial to our methods 

Perhaps it is more important to have back up who can cover the ground and tackle back. Pukki isn't huge so we don't need a big 'back to the goal' striker.

I wonder whether we could shuffle the pack by moving Buendia forward or even Hernandez who isn't a 'byline winger.' 

Even Stiepermann could slot in. 

If Rhodes was the alternative to start we'd need to change our system. He offers more coming on to change games. That said, we also do this by putting Klose up top. 

You might have heard this before but... 

No Deal is better than a bad deal.'

11 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

He offers more coming on to change games. That said, we also do this by putting Klose up top. 

Not sure about that to be honest. Noticed this from Whoscored recently...

Rhodes.PNG

21 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

Norwich were successful through playing to a system with players fully buying into it. 

Look at the disruption Oliveira caused. Personality is key. 

If Pukki was out we'd have a problem. Rhodes couldn't replicate him because of the ground he covers and the timing of his runs from deep so crucial to our methods 

Perhaps it is more important to have back up who can cover the ground and tackle back. Pukki isn't huge so we don't need a big 'back to the goal' striker.

I wonder whether we could shuffle the pack by moving Buendia forward or even Hernandez who isn't a 'byline winger.' 

Even Stiepermann could slot in. 

If Rhodes was the alternative to start we'd need to change our system. He offers more coming on to change games. That said, we also do this by putting Klose up top. 

You might have heard this before but... 

No Deal is better than a bad deal.'

Yes, but that that can be cultivated to a certain extent. 

Many wouldn’t have said Buendia’s attitude or personality was great before he was at Norwich. Kieran Scott talked a bit about him ‘throwing his arms up in air when substituted’, but it was far worse than that.

Buendia was involved in a coupe of minor scandals while in Spain. He videoed and posted on instagram a team mate saying ‘he sh*ts on Cultural (the club they played for) wh*res’. Then not long after that he was caught spitting at an opposition player. 

If Norwich were linked to him this summer and fans saw those reports I suspect a lot would be saying ‘goes against everything Norwich are trying to build’ etc. 

Buendia’s raw potential outweighed his potential attitude issues and Norwich did the deal. I imagine the club will continue to take this pragmatic approach this summer. 

• Like 2

I wonder if this is with a view to a permanent signing, if he only has one year left at City?

5 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I wonder if this is with a view to a permanent signing, if he only has one year left at City?

You'd assume so, only concern is a good season on loan increases the competition for his signature.

Patrick Roberts seems a good fit for our ethos/style of play. Young, technically gifted, seems to have a decent attitude and looking at how he plays I could see him providing competition for all 3 of the attacking midfield slots behind Pukki. 

6 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

I suspect a new contract will be announced at Man City at same time as loan. They wouldn’t loan him out if they didn’t intend to keep him. They’d just sell him this summer.