Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Is Webber right?

Anyone noticed Webber singing his heart out recently?

Spout off when you''ve been here long enough to know a few of our songs yourself mate.

It''s clear when you have 22,000 season ticket holders, those people are going to get older and older and with it quieter and quieter. To get youngsters in, who have a few drinks is nearly impossible. 

This is a cracking thread and I''m enjoying all the excuses posters are coming up with for not supporting their team at Carrow Road. These excuses have become more ridiculous as the season has gone on. My favourite of all have been the laments about needing to be entertained.  51 goals scored and 22 conceded is the reality of our home form. That''s more home goals than we got in the League One season and I think you''d have to go back over 30 years to find where we''d scored that many before. Can someone remind me what was the reason it was hard to support the team when Hughton was manager?

The fans have been great this year, and they nearly always are.

The last few dead rubbers are exactly that, but even then the Reading game was fantastic.

20k season ticket holders? When did Webber last work at a club with that level of support? Wolves? Huddersfield? I''ve nodded off at Loftus Road before now.

Be careful son, you aint no McNally yet....

[quote user="king canary"]@old Robert

Fuck me you took a bit of a leap there didn''t you?[/quote]Nah, I''m too old to take a leap!  Might trip over me Thermos.[;)]@Rock the Boat  Having paid double for my season ticket (if I was allowed one), not forgetting my medical insurance, no doubt I wouldn''t be allowed my own transport, so I''d have to depend on public transport (am I allowed on that, or do us oldies clutter that up as well?) to get to the ground.  Oops, there isn''t any for the first 4 miles, never mind, let the old sod walk, then when I get there I''m not let in as I''m over 60/70 or I''ve got white hair.  No CR isn''t a ''Rest Home for white-haired folks'' nor is it a playground for the ageist younger ''fan''.   

[quote user="They call me the Chihauhau"]I have been saying this all season on here the lower Barclay and snakepit have been really poor

Time for a clear out in these areas

The test for those sitting in these areas of the stadia if you haven''t been constantly signing then time to move and join us in the river end[/quote]

Just an idea but the rest of the ground could try it occasionally

I have an idea that might work. If the club hands out testosterone tablets before the game it might get the place rocking or maybe just a line of coke would do it:)

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Not only have players been too long but so have many parts of the crowd. Too many long-term season ticket holders.

The club needs to introduce a bar at say, 60 years old where season ticket prices rise ever more steeply so that a70 year old pays around twice the standard price for a season ticket. A bit like how private medical insurance invreases with age.

Age discrimination - bring on the lawyers.

Hope everyone is well insured.

Carrow Road is no rest home for the white-haired folks and we need to get youngsters who will sing and cheer the team, into those seats.

Also older folks tend to bring thermos flasks of hot tea to the game whereas youngsters like me are spending money on hamburgers and curry chip .and stuff.

Hopefully Mr.Webber will not only get the oldies out of the playing squad but off the terraces as well[/quote]

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Not only have players been too long but so have many parts of the crowd. Too many long-term season ticket holders.

The club needs to introduce a bar at say, 60 years old where season ticket prices rise ever more steeply so that a70 year old pays around twice the standard price for a season ticket. A bit like how private medical insurance invreases with age.

Carrow Road is no rest home for the white-haired folks and we need to get youngsters who will sing and cheer the team, into those seats.

Also older folks tend to bring thermos flasks of hot tea to the game whereas youngsters like me are spending money on hamburgers and curry chip .and stuff.

Hopefully Mr.Webber will not only get the oldies out of the playing squad but off the terraces as well[/quote]

Lets try again!

Age discrimination - bring on the lawyers .

Lets hope everyone is well insured in this politically correct society.

If we really want to get the stadium "rocking" then we need to spend more time singing stuff that people will/want to join in with. In recent seasons a number of new songs have been introduced in the Barclay which are Club rather than player originated and they''ve done a great job. Problem is that when I''ve been in other parts of the ground it can sometimes sound like more of a persistent drone and is unlikely to get the River End up and dancing. There''s obviously songwriting talent there, we just need to adapt a more upbeat attitude rather than attempting to be the next Borussia Bayerndortmundbach.

Think the songs for Safri and McVeigh - genius - even simpler with Huckeeby and Nedergaard. Everyone knew the words or hadn''t their own version (I certainly did for Anthony MacNamee), they were things the whole ground could and in some cases wanted to join in with.

The current batch of songs isn''t doing that, whether that''s lack of exposure or apathy from other areas of the ground, for all the skill, effort and persistence, they haven''t taken off.

Now just for someone with that talent to come up with the next fans masterpiece...

Perhaps Webber hasn''t rolled out the usual lovely people, fine city, top class ground, best supporters mantra.

He is speaking from his first impressions and if we are going to start pulling him to pieces over this then he hasn''t got much chance.

The season isn''t based on home form only though is it Nutty?

It''s hard to create a buzz when you go and lose 2-1 away to Rotherham, coupled with the hatred towards AN and the board it was always going to be a cauldron for boos this season.

Introduce a safe standing area. Price those tickets 20% less than seating ones. Younger people and more vocal/animated supporters will naturally gravitate towards that area and in and amoungst themselves create a good bit of noise which the rest of the stadium can follow on from.

I think people around the ground are up for singing and making a bit of noise, but they don''t want to lead or be surrounded by silence so they feel singled out, people would join in if one loud area of the stadium was leading.

That idea and that I can''t think of one downside to safe standing besides having to relocate season ticket holders, which wouldn''t be easy of course, but I do agree with Webber that somehow the atmosphere in the stadium has to improve independently from the team just a bit.

One usually relays the other so we should be looking at any viable ways to help the crowd.

[quote user="Thisisbabyish"]The season isn''t based on home form only though is it Nutty?

It''s hard to create a buzz when you go and lose 2-1 away to Rotherham, coupled with the hatred towards AN and the board it was always going to be a cauldron for boos this season.[/quote]
Ahhhh... Hatred! Now that can be an agent for strange happenings but even hatred can''t explain the criticism of fans not being entertained or the team not showing any attacking intent at Carrow Road this season.  

[quote user="Horse Renoir"]Introduce a safe standing area. Price those tickets 20% less than seating ones. Younger people and more vocal/animated supporters will naturally gravitate towards that area and in and amoungst themselves create a good bit of noise which the rest of the stadium can follow on from.

I think people around the ground are up for singing and making a bit of noise, but they don''t want to lead or be surrounded by silence so they feel singled out, people would join in if one loud area of the stadium was leading.

That idea and that I can''t think of one downside to safe standing besides having to relocate season ticket holders, which wouldn''t be easy of course, but I do agree with Webber that somehow the atmosphere in the stadium has to improve independently from the team just a bit.

One usually relays the other so we should be looking at any viable ways to help the crowd.[/quote]Current Government legislation  prevents terracing.

I swear until this season I''d never heard this weird argument espoused by some on here that you can separate the home from from the away form. Football just doesn''t work like that.

I''m all in favour of some safe standing but I''m not at all convinced more youngsters are the answer.They may be more vocal but unfortunately many seem to have grown up watching Sky tv and arrive with unrealistic expectations and a ludicrous sense of entitlement.What we need are passionate supporters of any age, who also have some sense of perspective about what is achieveable by a medium size club in a game that is now totally dominated by cash, much of it coming into the game from very dubious sources and only a relatively small proportion of revenues coming from supporters actually attending games.The ''fans'' at Carrow Road (unlike our support on the road) have been disappointing for years but the flip side is that top level football isn''t run for or about the fans anymore. The monetisation of the game over the last 20 years has reduced the fans to the equivalent of film extras - just a convenience to pad out the crowd scenes.

[quote user="king canary"]I swear until this season I''d never heard this weird argument espoused by some on here that you can separate the home from from the away form. Football just doesn''t work like that.[/quote]
I think I understand it more than the attitude of some on here that an interview in The Times and poor away form equated to showing no attacking intent at Carrow Road. Webber seems to have ruffled a few feathers. I expect he ruffled a few more by bringing up the disgraceful treatment of Jacob Murphy. Not sure I agree with him. I think he may live to regret it as criticising supporters is usually the fast track to St Andrews Hall. But it''s entertaining nonetheless...

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="king canary"]I swear until this season I''d never heard this weird argument espoused by some on here that you can separate the home from from the away form. Football just doesn''t work like that.[/quote]
I think I understand it more than the attitude of some on here that an interview in The Times and poor away form equated to showing no attacking intent at Carrow Road. Webber seems to have ruffled a few feathers. I expect he ruffled a few more by bringing up the disgraceful treatment of Jacob Murphy. Not sure I agree with him. I think he may live to regret it as criticising supporters is usually the fast track to St Andrews Hall. But it''s entertaining nonetheless...
[/quote]

As always, he will be judged on results. He can more or less say what he wants if the Club wins next season''s Championship and establishes a permanent presence in the Premiership.

Yorkshire Canary wrote the following post at 25/04/2017 2:30 PM:

The last two seasons have sucked the life out of a lot of the fans it will get better with a fresh look optimism

👍

A lot depends on what we''re singing particularly away from home. I am a pensioner but still want to join in singing. However it is the team I want to support not abuse the opposition fans. How many decent songs are there for individual players?

Its not entertaining when you''ve thrown away 3 points the week before on the road and are languishing mid table.

We should be winning home games in this league.

Top trollling.... women next LOL!

I am quite amused by the thought that because you are of pensionable age, all the joy of life has left you.

I think it is just down to the behaviour of Norfolk people. I remember Jimmy Bone saying how they went beserk at his previous club Partick Thistle if they won the coin toss or a throw in. He said that Norfolk people just clap if we win a corner. He would stand in front of the Barclay waving his arms to raise the noise level.

I have found it easier to sing at away games than home games (not that I have been to many recently) because everyone is singing away. Sitting in the first few rows of the Jarrold was more like a debating chamber than a snake pit. And singing was more of a solo effort.

I normally sit in the City stand and the last game I went to at CR, earlier this season, I found myself being the only one that stood up at times if something controversial or exciting happened.  That never used to be the case. I''m no different at matches than I''ve ever been, but to find myself standing up on my own was a bit odd. Usually, the crowd will stand up on mass, so imo there definitely is a sense of everything being on a downer, a hangover from relegation maybe or even the Lambert period.  Maybe people need to buck up a bit!  I''ll get told off for that, but it seems to me as an occasional visitor, there is an issue there that people could address.  We can all change if we want to - we don''t have to be down on the club......it''s a choice we make!   Happy clapper or moaning minnie?   I know which I''d rather be.

The Reading game is an interesting case, especially the second half.

If we are taking into account the season as a whole, it came on the back of 2 away defeats. That sequence sort of summed up our season.

Dominate a team below us in the league away, fail to score and concede soft goals, lose the game. Play OK at a good team in this league, be in the game, conceded once and then capitulate. Play well at home and look like world beaters - but the previous games have dampened any excitement by killing our season.

If we were looking at the Reading game individually, after a whirlwind first half, the second was just a lot of wasted chances, with 2 teams who knew the game was up at half time. Bit hard to get excited if a game is petering out with the result already sorted.