Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Burton Match Thread

It has nothing to do with substitutions and everything to do with that wonky central defence. He tried all combinations of Klose, Martin, Bennett and Bassong before Xmas and none worked. The transfer window came and went unused so we are getting our just deserts.Plenty of goals and excitement in home games won''t get you promotion without some sort of resilience away.

[quote user="morty"]Not an excuse, but the run of games and injuries is definitely a factor.I wouldn''t be surprised if there weren''t a few players not even close to 100% fit today.[/quote]

A fair point Morty it was always going to take its toll, but at the same time you cant really legislate for the kind of basic errors the players keep making. Klose, supposedly our best defender has cost us 2 goals in 2 games for starters. Just so disappointing, feel as flat as pancake.

[quote user="morty"]Not an excuse, but the run of games and injuries is definitely a factor.I wouldn''t be surprised if there weren''t a few players not even close to 100% fit today.[/quote]

I genuinely admire your sense of loyalty to the manager and look to take any positive you can.

But although we were only relying on commentary, the game sounded dire (no pun) and the lift of the equalising goal didn''t seem to inspire the team.

Of course a manager can''t help if a player makes a mistake, but ultimately he has to take responsibility just as much as the glory for the previous two games.

And other sides played Tuesday as well so it is more or less the same for everyone. And if we keep pretending we have a good squad, the injuries shouldn''t hurt us as much as less successful ones, just like today''s opponents.

@spillay

If your defenders keep making basic errors then you either need to coach them better or buy better players.

It''s still baffling to me that this season along we''ve spend about £17m on attacking midfields and nothing on the centre of defence.

Ricardo, I thought in the good spell leading up until Newcastle, Martin and Klose were keeping the goals conceded to a minimum, no? Not that I think conceding 2 to Newcastle is shameful or anything anyway.

[quote user="Spillay"][quote user="morty"]Not an excuse, but the run of games and injuries is definitely a factor.I wouldn''t be surprised if there weren''t a few players not even close to 100% fit today.[/quote]

A fair point Morty it was always going to take its toll, but at the same time you cant really legislate for the kind of basic errors the players keep making. Klose, supposedly our best defender has cost us 2 goals in 2 games for starters. Just so disappointing, feel as flat as pancake.[/quote]I said it was a factor, not an excuse.

If that''s not an excuse then what is it? All teams have those problems but we can''t deal with it. Time you realised that we are not good enough.

Poor players and poor manager that''s why we are where we are

morty wrote the following post at 18/02/2017 4:57 PM:

Not an excuse, but the run of games and injuries is definitely a factor.

I wouldn''t be surprised if there weren''t a few players not even close to 100% fit today.

True but again the top teams find a way though

morty wrote:

''''Not an excuse, but the run of games and injuries is definitely a factor.

I wouldn''t be surprised if there weren''t a few players not even close to 100% fit today.''''

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry but there are Lakey levels of insanely-positive barrel-scraping here morty...

If you''re not using it as an excuse why bring it up? You obviously believe it had an effect on the result and performance?

The run of games as a reason for this? It''s the same run of games that every other championship team is going through?!

The injuries? Really? That squad we fielded today was still head and shoulders above Burton, we missed two starters in Oliveira and Pinto, that''s it. Jerome is also hardly a poor replacement - what happened to our strength in depth?

Time for him to go, sorry! Do you really believe this not to be true?

[quote user="ricardo"]It has nothing to do with substitutions and everything to do with that wonky central defence. He tried all combinations of Klose, Martin, Bennett and Bassong before Xmas and none worked. The transfer window came and went unused so we are getting our just deserts.

Plenty of goals and excitement in home games won''t get you promotion without some sort of resilience away.
[/quote]

totally agree Ricardo. My earlier comment about the "roll your sleeves" games is much the same.

And next week we have a very direct team, lumping the ball on top of our dodgy centre halves.  It could be a bloodbath on here next Sunday....

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Spillay"][quote user="morty"]Not an excuse, but the run of games and injuries is definitely a factor.I wouldn''t be surprised if there weren''t a few players not even close to 100% fit today.[/quote]

A fair point Morty it was always going to take its toll, but at the same time you cant really legislate for the kind of basic errors the players keep making. Klose, supposedly our best defender has cost us 2 goals in 2 games for starters. Just so disappointing, feel as flat as pancake.[/quote]I said it was a factor, not an excuse.[/quote]

Er, never said you did Morty, was agreeing with you.

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]morty wrote:

''''Not an excuse, but the run of games and injuries is definitely a factor.

I wouldn''t be surprised if there weren''t a few players not even close to 100% fit today.''''

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry but there are Lakey levels of insanely-positive barrel-scraping here morty...

If you''re not using it as an excuse why bring it up? You obviously believe it had an effect on the result and performance?

The run of games as a reason for this? It''s the same run of games that every other championship team is going through?!

The injuries? Really? That squad we fielded today was still head and shoulders above Burton, we missed two starters in Oliveira and Pinto, that''s it. Jerome is also hardly a poor replacement - what happened to our strength in depth?

Time for him to go, sorry! Do you really believe this not to be true?[/quote]Read what I put above, its not an excuse, but its definitely a factor.Nowhere have I said different.And both Oliviera and Pinto are big misses.

Those who bleat about injuries and run of games etc. need only look at the goals against column, which has been mounting steadily all season.  That''s why we are where we are, and why we won''t finish in the top 6.  Can you imaging the carnage in the PL with that defence, because we couldn''t afford to completely overhaul it the way the club is run?

[quote user="Spillay"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Spillay"][quote user="morty"]Not an excuse, but the run of games and injuries is definitely a factor.I wouldn''t be surprised if there weren''t a few players not even close to 100% fit today.[/quote]

A fair point Morty it was always going to take its toll, but at the same time you cant really legislate for the kind of basic errors the players keep making. Klose, supposedly our best defender has cost us 2 goals in 2 games for starters. Just so disappointing, feel as flat as pancake.[/quote]I said it was a factor, not an excuse.[/quote]

Er, never said you did Morty, was agreeing with you.[/quote][Y]Just making the point clear.The basic errors have definitely cost us.

[quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]Do you think AN should still be our manager morty?[/quote]Yes I do.We''ll beat Ipswich next week and it''ll all be okay again.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]Do you think AN should still be our manager morty?[/quote]Yes I do.We''ll beat Ipswich next week and it''ll all be okay again.[/quote]

Really? I think he''ll be a good manager.... one day. But just like CH regardless of any future success I think he''s had his time here, and has gone stale.

[quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]Do you think AN should still be our manager morty?[/quote]Yes I do.We''ll beat Ipswich next week and it''ll all be okay again.[/quote]

Really? I think he''ll be a good manager.... one day. But just like CH regardless of any future success I think he''s had his time here, and has gone stale.[/quote]He''s here for the season, you may as well get used to it.

We made the mistake of sacking CH before the end of the season, give AN the full season if we are not top 6 at the end of the season then lets reassess and go again.

I actually believe we should be top 5 this season, but Huddersfield are a surprise...........it could be worse we could be Villa.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="SeattleCanary"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Hank shoots Skyler"]Do you think AN should still be our manager morty?[/quote]Yes I do.We''ll beat Ipswich next week and it''ll all be okay again.[/quote]

Really? I think he''ll be a good manager.... one day. But just like CH regardless of any future success I think he''s had his time here, and has gone stale.[/quote]He''s here for the season, you may as well get used to it.

[/quote]

Oh I know. Well this season more or less just finished today mate, so I''m thinking ahead for the new season. Sacking him before May is pointless.

Fans like Morty are exactly why this club continually gets away with abject failure. Unfortunately Carrow Road is filled with ''Mortys'' every home game. Soft as.

The injuries and the amount of games certainly don''t help but I thought that line up should of comfortably beat Burton. I also agreed with leaving out wessi for this one or at least understand why he was. I fear they playoffs are gone now

Sacking him before May is far from pointless.  It would give the new manager time to assess the squad in competitive games before the start of next season and crucially before the summer transfer window!