Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Where will the goals come from?

I stated that the man city game needed to be followed by a win if I was to start hoping in survival- well that has now happened. A MASSIVE result- huge credit to the boys and it can only do them good for some confidence to flow through the veins.

Looking at the fixtures it really is doable- am starting to believe but...who will score the goals needed? There is still the concern for me- we look pretty toothless up front. Just one froward needs to come good

Who do you think it will be?

Lafferty? Don''t you mean the ghost of Becchio, but mind you Becchio would make the bench sometimes..Anyway Id say the midfield will get most of the goals, but seriously anyone will.

My only slight concern with yesterday''s performance was that we never really looked like scoring. Even when we did it was messy! Bamford looks like the man most likely, and Howson had a couple of chances. I think Mbokani was brilliant yesterday but more in holding up and build up than finishing. Can''t argue with 3 points though and if we did the same thing next week I''d be more than happy even if none of our strikers score another goal all season, as long as our midfield or defence can chip in!

Crabbycanary3 wrote the following post at 20/03/2016 7:09 AM:

"Martin Olsson, he owes us a goal."

Needs to take a leaf out of his brothers book, got the only goal in Derby''s win yesterday 😄

We have the player to score the goals, we just need to change our tactics to supply them. We are too slow going forward and we need to get the ball in the box more often, to many times there''s a chance to cross and the play passes it back to the man behind him.

[quote] user="Dean Coney''s boots"]I stated that the man city game needed to be followed by a win if I was to start hoping in survival- well that has now happened. A MASSIVE result- huge credit to the boys and it can only do them good for some confidence to flow through the veins.

Looking at the fixtures it really is doable- am starting to believe but...who will score the goals needed? There is still the concern for me- we look pretty toothless up front. Just one froward needs to come good

Who do you think it will be?[/quote]

Hey! You were right, the toothless Brady scored!

Completely agree with Swindon Canary.

The service is a big part of the problem. We have shown a lack of quality in the final third this season - with poor crosses or not making the final pass. It is so frustrating, crosses especially, seeing a poor delivery hitting the first man or sailing way over on so many occasions!

When we finally get the ball to our strikers in the box, they also show a lack of quality (Jerome especially) by missing the target. We have an average of 3.2 shots on target per game - scoring 1.03 per game.

Playing one up front doesn''t help, but for well paid professionals, they need to do better.

As Iwan said in his article, the strikers need to gamble every time, especially if there are two up front. Always make the run, and one near post, one far post! Olsson put a couple of "surprise" early balls in and no one was ready for them.

quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Crabbycanary3 wrote the following post at 20/03/2016 7:09 AM:

"Martin Olsson, he owes us a goal."

Needs to take a leaf out of his brothers book, got the only goal in Derby''s win yesterday 😄[/quote

Quite right Mr J, we definitely bought the wrong M Olsson. Who the hell was responsible for that signing? Booooooooo

Naismith will be the creative edge but I also feel that the players will want to play for each other and get those goals. With some of the poor crosses and passes yesterday there was not a single player with his head down. I feel that they will be ready for the next game and it is a game where they can put a stamp down. There has been a lot of chat so action can be shown in tha crunch game.

Agreed smooth. The Citeh game was a watershed, I don''t care who will score the goals, all I know is we have a spirit in the team that''s going to deliver enough points.

Brady & Jarvis on the wings with mbokani and bamford in the box will bring enough. It''s the first time I''ve seen us for ages really look to get down to the byline and whip it in. Plenty of times Howson and occasionally oneil managed to get into the box, so many times this season I''ve seen us put a good cross in with 1 to aim at.

Bor wrote:

Naismith will come good; he showed his value in his cameo yesterday.

Smooth wrote:

Naismith will be the creative edge

...........................................................................................................................

If you think Naismith is going to be the pivot & instigate our attacks you''re in for a rude awakening.

This is a very average player with limited ball control, has some ability in front of goal but so did Hooper.

Yes he tries hard - I give you that. Best continue with Bamford or play a proper playmaker like Hoolahan.

Mbokani''s the pivot, Naismith is the man to run on to the knock downs & through balls. He is not creative. Wes is our only truly creative player (" the pea that your fork can''t quite pick up" - copyright DB). Unfortunately playing all three means leaving out Howson or O''Neil,

[quote user="ron obvious"]Mbokani''s the pivot, Naismith is the man to run on to the knock downs & through balls. He is not creative. Wes is our only truly creative player (" the pea that your fork can''t quite pick up" - copyright DB). Unfortunately playing all three means leaving out Howson or O''Neil,[/quote]
And given that a point is better than no points at all, I would pick Naismith over Hoolahan for his all round contribution and keep both Howson and O''Neil doing what they are doing.

Jeremy Borbyn wrote the following post at 22/03/2016 7:22 PM:

ron obvious wrote:

Mbokani''s the pivot, Naismith is the man to run on to the knock downs & through balls. He is not creative. Wes is our only truly creative player (" the pea that your fork can''t quite pick up" - copyright DB). Unfortunately playing all three means leaving out Howson or O''Neil,

And given that a point is better than no points at all, I would pick Naismith over Hoolahan for his all round contribution and keep both Howson and O''Neil doing what they are doing.

So would I. Wes sadly has not been direct enough of late.

It''s a dilemma. But I tend to agree that Wes is most likely to miss out. Howson can provide some creativity, but he''s not really capable of some of Wes'' tricks.

Our lack of creativity is a problem. On Saturday I thought we desperately needed a bit of Wes magic to unlock their defence; fortunately we got a slice of Jarvis magic (ahem) instead!

Bor wrote:

..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

No one should be tinkering with the O''Neill/Howson central midfield combination - those 2 have done a terrific job in the last weeks.

The subject is who is going to score the goals for us. Should the combination be MBokani/Bamford or MBokani/Naismith ?

We have tried MBokani/Naismith. Naismith''s all round contribution including scoring goals has not worked out. Bor thinks Naismith will come good. He has look ineffective while on the pitch. If he can''t score goals he''s in for his creativity - it then becomes a joke. He would have to had to created 7/8 goals, scored 4  this season and also have the guile & control of Hoolahan be better that him - that''s a none contest ! Naismith should only be in the team for his ability to score goals. Where is he when we have knock downs ? At this point we need to give Bamford his opportunity. Naismith has had his.  

I think you''re forgetting Naismith''s first game, since when he''s been ill/injured. The Wes, Mbokani, Naismith combo scored 3 goals against Liverpool; with any sort of defending nous we''d have won that match.

Bamford''s had a couple of decent run-outs now. I don''t see a PL player. He may turn into the next Harry Kane, but I''ve seen nothing to suggest it so far.

I think you''re a bit too quick to right off Bamford, as a lot of us were with Kane! He has obvious quality but whether he''ll be enough to worry defenders in this league i''m not sure yet. 
I think Wes may miss out, unfortunately in my view - he''ll be handy to bring off the bench at the very least and I can still see him starting a couple of home games.

Apologies Ron, yes you''re right. He was pretty good in that game but hasn''t done anything since. Was it an injury ? Is he playing with that injury since ?

But not sure we should select him in his present form.

I think Bamford has looked more impressive than Kane did in his loan spell here, so far !  But that''s not hard.

Don''t know about Wes - last time I saw him play was on the left wing and we all know he struggles to get involved with the game there, which is totally understandable....

We do not possess a Defoe class striker and we will not suddenly change from that position. The best we can hope for is for everyone to chip in a little bit and keep it tight at the back and maybe Bamford could get a couple or so

Wes will start behind Bamford against Newcastle, with maybe Naismith on the right.

Alex Neil likes Hoolahan and there''s no chance he won''t play our most creative player in this sort of home game. The way some of Newcastle''s players "defend" it would be madness to bench him.

quote user="Crabbycanary3"]Martin Olsson, he owes us a goal[/quote

Well, who''d have thunk it?

Must have been the pins I had been loving I had been giving his voodoo doll ,over the last few days

Should have put £10,000 on it (probably would have only got evens.....)