Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Who would you like to see as Captain in the forthcoming season?

I personally felt Bassong had better leadership qualities than Martin through the games I saw (I''m a season ticket holder), when he returned and AN sorted his head out he was like a new signing. If his attitude remains the same I feel he is a strong candidate for the role.

Then again we have other possibilities in the midfield with Bradders and company.

Tony Andrue? It has to be someone who will make the starting 11 regularly, what about Ruddy?

I can''t see RM being a regular starter this season. Maybe Tettey if he is being played week in week out.

Howson. Certain starter & captaincy experience from his Leeds days. Martin should remain club captain. Top bloke & the rarity of being an articulate footballer!

Russel Martin...

If Russ isn''t playing then just name the captain game to game as Lambert did.

Wes was always the popular second choice under Lambert, surely our longest serving player should get a shout?

I agree Martin for club captain, but if we get another CB I can''t see him starting. As for RB, no chance, far to slow. I never have doubted his loyalty, and no necessarily his ability at Championship standard, but we must look to improve on him in the Premiership. Just my opinion (no slating required thank you)!

For me it would be Howson. He was captain at Leeds while still quite young, so he has experience. He is respected and admired within the squad and he drive could well influence the others.

I really dont care as far as match days are concerned.

What we need is leadership on the pitch from 4-5 players, not just one - as such I am happy for CJ & Tettey for example to continue to show the drive & leadership that they did at Wembley whether wearing an armband or not.

Good team spirit is key and thats where a captain plays his part - behind the scenes. Russ seems strong at the so why change?

That''s my point ZLF, In the last campaign I saw more leadership skills on the pitch from others than Martin. It''s important to have a skipper on the pitch that is in control. The second half of last season Martin struggled (at times) to control his own game. It''s all about the respect.

Russ is a leader and for that reason it would be very surprising if anyone else is chosen as Captain over him

Russell Martin is our current captain.

He''s a good leader and excellent ambassador for our club and very much a Norwich City man.

Alex Neil has kept him as skipper in the 6 months he''s been here.

Why on earth would we need to change captains?!

A captain doesn''t need to be bawling his head off to be an effective one. Natural leaders will do as such whether or not they''re wearing the armband. David Beckham was an excellent England captain and he was never the most vocal of players.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]Russell Martin is our current captain.

He''s a good leader and excellent ambassador for our club and very much a Norwich City man.

Alex Neil has kept him as skipper in the 6 months he''s been here.

Why on earth would we need to change captains?![/quote]Because we need a captain that is on the pitch and if we are serious about staying up Russell Martin wont be .

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]Russell Martin is our current captain. He''s a good leader and excellent ambassador for our club and very much a Norwich City man. Alex Neil has kept him as skipper in the 6 months he''s been here. Why on earth would we need to change captains?![/quote]
Because we need a captain that is on the pitch and if we are serious about staying up Russell Martin wont be .
[/quote]

Wasn''t Russell Martin the guy who captained us to Wembley glory and was part of the tightest defence in the league under Alex Neil?

No brainer for me, Martin is a great captain.

Paul Lambert bought him and regularly played him.

Chris Hughton played him regularly.

Neil Adams made him captain and played him regularly.

Alex Neil kept him as captain and played him regularly.

Scotland manager Gordon Strachan also plays him regularly. Incidentally Scotland are performing really well and look set to qualify for Euro 2016.

But yeah, you''re right. They must all be wrong. Definitely not good enough.

WHF. You forgot that he was also voted onto the player''s Championship team of the year. No mean feat.

I too am surprised at the amount of derogatory comments that RM gets on here.

Whether or not he proves to be up to the mark again next season remains to be seen, but he ''aint half a bad player to have in the squad.

I too really dont get the bad rap Russell Martin gets. For me he should stay as Captain as long as he is in the side. But if a replacement is needed then Howson or Ruddy.