Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Football matches an easy target?

It''s called a decent discussion Waveney. Stop trolling and join in.

It''s ok Nutty, I''m only evil at the weekends and the rest of my time is spent trying to good things for society [:D]

Wavers you''ve got a cheek, you very rarely post anything football-related (in any alter-ego)...

Apples

Would be a shame to remove a civilised discussion for the sake of someone wanting to dictate what is discussed. Maybe what started out as football related isn''t anymore so SDP may move it. Or perhaps auction one day''s moderating each week with the money going to the CSF. That way some good could come from the control freaks...

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]Most believers have a much more casual approach to their faith. They believe in God but don''t take religious literature verbatim.[/quote]
Yeah, dig that.
"I''ve read the Holy Bible, and I think what God was trying to say was......."

The fact we can have reasoned debate is the most important thing (although Nutty, I''m now sending you my PUPs subscription in coppers...uncounted...with Euros...without any postage [:D][:D][:D])

Houghton out (football-related)!!!

Apples

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]They don''t think life just happened but accident either.[/quote]If the answer is God created everything, then the next question must be.....who created God?[/quote]

If there is no God, what created the universe?  

If it was the "big bang" - what created the materials to make the big bang?   So in that case, what created the thing that caused the materials to be there?   The further back you go, the harder it gets - if you assume something caused creation, you have to then ask what caused the cause of creation to be caused......     It''s almost the same question as "who created God?"    That imo is why the God label has been so convenient for mankind.  Give it a label and then everyone can go away and think....Ahh! It was God all the time, that''s alright then.    Except then that people question that....and the question as to what caused things to be created starts all over again. 

So if there is not a God.......or at least an underlying power that causes everything to be as it is...........then what is there?  If its an "accident", like some think, then it begs the question..............what caused the accident?

On a tangent, the memorial services today and the minute''s silence were sensitively handled and beautifully observed.
Perhaps the 7/7 attacks were in my mind when I started this thread.  I took some time today to read the biographies of the victims, posted on the BBC website.  It stuns and saddens me that our own people - brought up, educated and cared for in this country - would take their own lives and those of other innocents in the hope of furthering some nonsensical cause or obtaining some mythical paradise.
The dignity of the survivors and the courage of those who rushed into danger to help them is what we should remember.
Sorry, bit of a soapbox moment but I felt the impact and the loss of those attacks more today than I did at the time.

Funny that no one bothered the day previous with the Piper A tragedy! Yet more people died on that event!

But agree Bor it was very well observed, respectfully so.

[quote user="Indy"]Funny that no one bothered the day previous with the Piper A tragedy! Yet more people died on that event!

But agree Bor it was very well observed, respectfully so.[/quote]People did remember Piper Alpha, I certainly did.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]On a tangent, the memorial services today and the minute''s silence were sensitively handled and beautifully observed.
Perhaps the 7/7 attacks were in my mind when I started this thread.  I took some time today to read the biographies of the victims, posted on the BBC website.  It stuns and saddens me that our own people - brought up, educated and cared for in this country - would take their own lives and those of other innocents in the hope of furthering some nonsensical cause or obtaining some mythical paradise.
The dignity of the survivors and the courage of those who rushed into danger to help them is what we should remember.
Sorry, bit of a soapbox moment but I felt the impact and the loss of those attacks more today than I did at the time.
[/quote]
On the same line, Ken Livingstone''s speech soon after the attack is worth revisiting. 

[quote user="Indy"]Funny that no one bothered the day previous with the Piper A tragedy! Yet more people died on that event!

But agree Bor it was very well observed, respectfully so.[/quote]
I remember the Piper Alpha tragedy though didn''t realise it was early July.  I think the key difference, accepting death is death, is that the 7/7 attacks were perpetrated by people meaning to kill other people on British soil.  Other than tragic and untimely deaths, I don''t think the two events are comparable.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]

Hmmmmm I think he wanted us to, he put uranium on the planet and invented radioactive decay (or perhaps he was just teasing us)!!! [;)]

Strictly speaking, nuclear weapons have been very successful at maintaining peace. They finished one war and ensured that via the concept of mutually assured destruction their use ever again would be very unlikely. Yaaaaaaaaay for the nukes!

Apples

[/quote]The nuclear question has a relevance. It was the Dr Strangelove-sounding concept of mutually assured destruction that kept the Americans and the Soviets from blowing the world to bits. Especially in the Cuban missile crisis of 1962, which was when we got as close (as far as the public knows) to the buttons being pushed.You had a US president who was apparently a Christian (actually a Catholic) and a capitalist and a Soviet leader who was ideologically a Marxist-Leninist and ostensibly an atheist (whether Kennedy really believed and whether Khruschev didn''t is a question).But in the crisis their religious and ideological differences were put aside, and they acted as humanists to avert armageddon. What is frightening about the present day is that weapons of mass destruction, such as dirty and chemical bombs, could be in the hands of people who are the polar opposite of humanists and for whom the greater the death toll of infidels the better.

[quote user="Daz Sparks"]
On the same line, Ken Livingstone''s speech soon after the attack is worth revisiting. 
[/quote]
Yes, thank you for sharing that link.  The last paragraphs say it beautifully.
And yet almost ten years to the day we have families "fleeing" the UK to join Islamic State.  

If God is the creator why do we need to reproduce.

Bill Hicks was hilarious. My comedy buddies knew him well. Comedy is an act, tho.

Many terror attacks get shut down because they take time to organize and suspicions get raised by various means and then they get shut down. Many we never hear about, supposedly

Is there an answer to your question Indy?

Here''s another - Why is a raven like a writing desk?

And why do eminent scientists believe in God?

Yes the typical answer expected.....no answer!

Keep believing in fairy tales......

Here''s another question

Explain to me the difference between religion and mediums that believe they can talk to the dead?

Both have no physical evidence, both give vulnerable people false hope and both exploit those people for cash.

Why so irritated about it Indy?

Surely the answer is that different people believe different things. I''ve noticed throughout this thread that some people who don''t believe in God get really irritated about the fact that other people do. They seem to take it as a personal insult and become dismissive and intolerant of them.

I like facts. Like when you tell me Delia supported Ipswich i am dismissive of your opinion because it was wrong. But in this case there are no facts, all we have are beliefs so Im tolerant of your opinion.

I dont know the answer to my two questions. Do you know the answer to yours?

Buh, what makes you and Stephen Fry strong and Delia and I weak and vulnerable? Are you really so conceited?

This thread will be good for another 2 or 3 pages today especially when Bor gets home from work. [:P]

Weak minded, not weak.

If you are believing in things that tgere are no physical evidence for and worship them and try and indoctrinate others to do the same and brainwash your kids into believing it it should be a sectionable offence.

How many nutters do you here have hacked someone to death because they think they are Jesus or God told them to.

Religion is a mistake in the human condition. The brain struggling to understand the world and trying to control others. It''s embarrassingly obvious as well and the craziest thing is I think a lot of people that are religious know it''s all a load of bolloc4s and carry on anyway. Hedging their bets? I find that fascinating.

I don''t believe in God, but if other folk want to, then crack on, if its something that gives them comfort, and it isn''t bothering anyone else, then no problem.Religion has long since been used as a way of controlling the masses, perhaps not so much nowadays, but certainly in centuries gone by. But thats not necessarily a bad thing, masses need controlling sometimes.The theory behind most religions is living your life to some sort of moral code, which again is a very good thing, if you look back at the ten commandments then although they are passed off as "Don''t do this as it will make God unhappy" they are actually laws and moral guidance for society.But theres good people and theres bad people. If someone does something bad, and blames it on religion, then really they are just looking for an excuse.

Many murders have been committed by people who have strayed from their faith or never had any. Most crime is commuted by people without faith (ergo no sense of consequence if they''re not caught).

Murders done on behalf of religion are so rare they make headlines and often involve insanity, not religion.

Not irritated at all just discussed by religion over the years and even to this day when so many people are directly effected by religion, 9/11, 7/7 and we can go on and on.

And yet with not one shred of evidence those who fear life and feel the need to believe there must be something to life continue to impact everyone. Religion was a tool for controlling the masses during the dark ages now we have, we should have evolved past the need to cling onto some utter tripe book which when read through actually isn''t very nice. ( the bible).

It''s a sad a,ff,air that religious people feel the need to preach onto all, keep it to yourself and form comfort from your faith, great but stop killing innocent people and preaching hatred in the name of any religion.

Simple.

Weak minded or weak you are saying that people who have different beliefs to your own are inferior. I haven''t seen any one with different beliefs to you suggest that you are inferior.

When a Norwich fan is found guilty of racism does that automatically mean you and I are racist by association. Were we all lowlife scum by association of some of the past behaviour that occurred in the name of supporting a football club?