That probably just about sums the whole situation up Fog.

Besides, If RVW were to ever come to Norwich again, I am inclined to think that the moment he drove past the "Fine City" sign he would have a nose-bleed.

(Like I do whenever I have to open my tool box.) 

I will not have great expectations if RvW returns to us but I will be prepared to wait and see if AN can get something out of the player that we have not seen yet.

Cameron Jerome was as good as we had on Monday, but anyone who can remember his performance against Brentford will see how much of an effect AN has had on him.

Perhaps, just perhaps, he could do the same with RvW.

He is obviously not good enough or strong enough for the English game.  Alex Neil can get the best out of players, but I strongly doubt that even he cannot turn a lightweight goal-hanger into a Premier League standard lone striker.
Get rid & reinvest.

''Bully Boy'' Snodgrass. You mean our hardest worker and best player that season?
However, if a lightweight, waste of space striker who managed one goal all season want''s to come back and prove himself that''s totally fine?!
Bizarre logic. I''d much rather have a fit raring to go Snodgrass in our starting eleven than fucking Ricky Van Crapwinkle!

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]I will not have great expectations if RvW returns to us but I will be prepared to wait and see if AN can get something out of the player that we have not seen yet.

Cameron Jerome was as good as we had on Monday, but anyone who can remember his performance against Brentford will see how much of an effect AN has had on him.

Perhaps, just perhaps, he could do the same with RvW.[/quote]

It may take time, as it has with CJ, but the main requirement for an AN striker is the ability to work work work - which is why Grabban was first choice under AN. CJ has taken that on board and become that type of  player too - something I never thought he would be able to do, so massive credit to him.   There is no questioning RVW''s technique or work ethic - its whether he can become strong enough to be the same kind of striker  as Grabban and now CJ. As a fourth striker he may be given the time to develop into that kind of player.

Certainly feel there is mileage in giving the lad another chance.

Jerome''s Premier League record isn''t great (13/14 season wasn''t really much better than RvW) - but he has far exceeded expectation playing under AN.

At the moment, RvW''s resale value is likely to be very low - on that basis i think we would be better served letting AN have a look at him and see if there is anything he can do!

With Ricky there are a few things to consider;

Firstly, will McNally and the footballing board even allow AN to give Ricky a go? RVW is the embodiment of Norwich''s past failure and getting him out would represent a fresh start and erasing the mistakes of the past. Adams was told that RVW wasn''t staying so don''t include him in your plans (which is why 3 strikers were signed) - I''m guessing AN will be told the same.

Secondly, there is an ''opportunity cost'' for keeping RVW, he is on large wages which could be spent on a different player, he is taking up one place in the 25 man squad (although this probably won''t be a massive issue) and there is an inherent capital value tied up in him.

Will be interesting to see what happens to Ricky, but I highly doubt he''ll be running out in the Premier League at any point next season.

I''d love to see RVW back here with a clean slate just like Seb Bassong was given.

RVW appears short of the one commodity that Alex Neil supplies in abundance; and that''s belief.

A proven goal scorer like RVW feeds off cut-backs from advanced full-backs and wing play - which (compared to the Hughton era) Norwich do rather more these days.

I know I''m in the minority, however he could be the diamond under our feet...

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]RVW is the embodiment of Norwich''s past failure and getting him out would represent a fresh start and erasing the mistakes of the past. [/quote]

I''ve got to disagree with that. RVW was not the player we hoped, but he was not the main reason for our failure - there were may reasons.  He was new to English football, he was injured a while, he lost confidence in a team that was poor.  All things which can be rectified - actually - have been rectified.  He would be coming into a completely different scenario and if he finds his confidence, scores one or two goals he will seem like a completely different player to us.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]RVW is the embodiment of Norwich''s past failure and getting him out would represent a fresh start and erasing the mistakes of the past. [/quote]

I''ve got to disagree with that. RVW was not the player we hoped, but he was not the main reason for our failure - there were may reasons.  He was new to English football, he was injured a while, he lost confidence in a team that was poor.  All things which can be rectified - actually - have been rectified.  He would be coming into a completely different scenario and if he finds his confidence, scores one or two goals he will seem like a completely different player to us.

[/quote]

The team wasn''t poor the manager was.

[quote user="ridgeman"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]RVW is the embodiment of Norwich''s past failure and getting him out would represent a fresh start and erasing the mistakes of the past. [/quote]I''ve got to disagree with that. RVW was not the player we hoped, but he was not the main reason for our failure - there were may reasons.  He was new to English football, he was injured a while, he lost confidence in a team that was poor.  All things which can be rectified - actually - have been rectified.  He would be coming into a completely different scenario and if he finds his confidence, scores one or two goals he will seem like a completely different player to us. [/quote]

The team wasn''t poor the manager was.[/quote]

Yes, he was, ultmately, but there were imo players in there who were divisive to the squad - and that has been eradicated and improved. For  RVW it will be like coming into a  new club.

The difference with Bassong is that we knew that he was a god player and once the mental side had been sorted could be a great asset, and he showed that out on loan at Watford. With RVW there is no evidence from this season or last that he is anything than utterly average, nothing to suggest that he would offer any more than we have from Grabban, Jerome and Hooper. I''d much rather stay with these guys than take another risk when we will be scrapping for every point we can by wasting any more time with RvW. Seemed like a decent bloke, but as someone said we need to move on and be a little bit more hard-nosed about this sort of thing.

There is undoubtedly a ''romantic'' idea that RVW comes back, knuckles down and proves he was the player we signed two years ago. It is difficult to see quite how likely that is, though - both he and AN would need to be willing to give it a full go, which might be doubtful on both sides: RVW might have decided it better to rebuild his career elsewhere, AN may want his ''own'' players in.

I guess we''ll see in the coming weeks, and it would be interesting to see if it could work out but it does seem unlikely that we''ll see him again in a City shirt.

Of course it isn''t all RVW''s fault - but there is no one player who sums up that season more than Ricky. Bassong and Johnson were also tarnished, but have both redeemed themselves this season.

He was signed as a marker of the new era for Norwich - big money, established Premier League team, and then it all went wrong.

Unfortunately Ricky became a joke, locally and nationally, and while there are many factors for the reason he didn''t score enough goals this mud will stick. He made many lists of ''worst signing of the season'', ''biggest flop'', etc etc.

If you were McNally, the man who signed off on this deal, would you not want him gone?

I like Ricky, I think he has a lot of talent in there somewhere but I just don''t think he will ever really be able to show it at Norwich with so many demons over his head.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I just don''t think he will ever really be able to show it at Norwich with so many demons over his head.[/quote]AN doesn''t have any truck with the past, so if there is no move from above to get rid of Ricky, I think AN will give him a clean slate, be impressed with his work rate in training, admire his technique and give him time as a fourth striker to prove his worth.

We need another classy, big-money forward for next season. Something for us to speculate about and look forward to.

Give good old RVW another chance and we will be denied this. Any seasoned gambler will tell you it is unwise to chase your losses, so this whole expensive business would be in danger of costing the Club even more in as much as RVW could be taking the place of a.n.other quality addition.

Give AN a look at him, by any means, but the priority must be to unload the player, even if it means stomaching a massive loss. He should be worth £2-3m to his Portuguese admirers, even if it means the money comes in instalments.

Time heals and, besides, this £8m is a drop in the ocean compared with the financial gain we will receive from the Wembley result.

He just does not have the physical strength or pace to get the better of Premiership defenders. No amount of great coaching will change that.

In my view we have certainly reaped the benefits of Jerome finally being given the chance to prove himself as the "main man" at a club and lead the line. Hooper, is a great striker who really deserves more opportunities in the team and Grabban also deserves a crack at the top flight. i certainly would not want to see RVW re-introduced at the expense of any of those three. If he comes back in, proves himself in pre-season and with the U21s then so be it he deserves a chance but one of our big problems under Hughton was RVW being favoured by the manager and played when his performances simply did not merit it.

For me aside from a quick winger we have enough going forward for next season. I want to see some pace and mobility at centre and right back.

I think many people are missing the point that if a player loses confidence that easily and is so easily bullied, he is simply not mentally strong enough for English football. Top players (and strikers in particular), have to verge on arrogance to keep their confidence levels high. At 0-0 in the last minute of our first Prem game, who would want to see RVW mince up to take a penalty?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]I think many people are missing the point that if a player loses confidence that easily and is so easily bullied, he is simply not mentally strong enough for English football. Top players (and strikers in particular), have to verge on arrogance to keep their confidence levels high. At 0-0 in the last minute of our first Prem game, who would want to see RVW mince up to take a penalty?[/quote]

We would know better the answer to that if Snodgrass had had a bit more sense.  RVW is the best technician in terms of striking a ball that we have - and is the main reason he was bought. He was the classic penalty taker in the absence of Hooper in that season''s team.  If there was one thing that contributed more to his poor season with us, it is that piece of  "I''m takling the penalty, you''re not" attitude.  Maybe even cost us the season.

I would write RVW off just yet.

I suspect AN will want to look at him and see what he''s got, see if the potential is there and then make a call.

Would be surprised if he left before they came back for pre-season training, he seems to be discarding players quickly and RVW is in no different situation to Becchio in terms of still being under contract, although a lot longer.

Difference is, AN has seen Becchio and hasn''t seen RVW in training.

I have a hope that he''ll return and prove to be the talent that we saw when we bought him.

AN has worked his magic with others this season, ie Bassong and Whitts and even Redmond to a certain degree so let''s wait and see.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]I think many people are missing the point that if a player loses confidence that easily and is so easily bullied, he is simply not mentally strong enough for English football. Top players (and strikers in particular), have to verge on arrogance to keep their confidence levels high. At 0-0 in the last minute of our first Prem game, who would want to see RVW mince up to take a penalty?[/quote]

We would know better the answer to that if Snodgrass had had a bit more sense.  RVW is the best technician in terms of striking a ball that we have - and is the main reason he was bought. He was the classic penalty taker in the absence of Hooper in that season''s team.  If there was one thing that contributed more to his poor season with us, it is that piece of  "I''m takling the penalty, you''re not" attitude.  Maybe even cost us the season.

[/quote]
Lol, quantify " best technician in terms of striking a ball"
Sorry, but that is twaddle.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]I would write RVW off just yet.

I suspect AN will want to look at him and see what he''s got, see if the potential is there and then make a call.

Would be surprised if he left before they came back for pre-season training, he seems to be discarding players quickly and RVW is in no different situation to Becchio in terms of still being under contract, although a lot longer.

I have a hope that he''ll return and prove to be the talent that we saw when we bought him.

AN has worked his magic with others this season, ie Bassong and Whitts and even Redmond to a certain degree so let''s wait and see.[/quote]
He is just too physically slight for the English game, I have stood next to him and I reckon I could knock him off the ball.

Bethnal Yellow and Green wrote -

''Firstly, will McNally and the footballing board even allow AN to give Ricky a go? RVW is the embodiment of Norwich''s past failure and getting him out would represent a fresh start and erasing the mistakes of the past. Adams was told that RVW wasn''t staying so don''t include him in your plans (which is why 3 strikers were signed) - I''m guessing AN will be told the same.''

To be honest, I don''t think this is the case at all, with all due respect Bethnal. I think David McNally et al have far more respect for Alex Neil than that, and I don''t believe for a minute they''ll be telling him to do anything of the sort - I''m very confident that they''ll be very much of the opinion that if Alex wants to run the rule over him, then he will. There''s clearly a great deal of respect for our brilliant young manager and telling him what he can and can''t do with players in his possession I don''t believe would go down too well. Alex Neil will get his say on the matter for sure - the board unanimously believe in him.

As for RvW, is he too lightweight for the Premier League currently? Yes, but that can be fixed. Can Alex Neil restore his confidence? I certainly wouldn''t bet against it. Does RvW have the sufficient technique? I believe so - and once he''s bulked up and confidence has been restored, then there''s absolutely no reason why things couldn''t work out for him (and us).

I do think he will be sold though, but there''s no way I would bet against Alex Neil working his magic with him - and anyone that would, would be pretty foolish I would say.

LDC, if that incident had the effect on him that many on here seem to think, then he should be nowhere near a top football team. I have to be honest that I had grave worries when I watched the videos everyone was getting excited about. All I saw was dreadful defending, easy finishes and penalties. Coupled with the fact that he generally played for decent, attacking teams up against very poor defences I wasn`t very surprised with what we ended up with. The article linked earlier in the thread shows that other people had seen the same thing and the fact that we ended up paying so much money will remain one of the biggest ever mysteries involving our club.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]I would write RVW off just yet.

AN has worked his magic with others this season, ie Bassong and Whitts and even Redmond to a certain degree so let''s wait and see.[/quote]
He is just too physically slight for the English game, I have stood next to him and I reckon I could knock him off the ball.
[/quote]

I seem to remember a few years ago people saying that Gareth Bale was too slight. He put the work in on the physical side of his game and became one of the best players in the league.

The likes of Sterling/Hazard/Coutinho are all quite slight but are some of the best players in the league.

I''m not suggesting that he is ever going to be as good as the aforementioned, but it is lazy to write him off on this basis already.

I for one would welcome the chance to see how he could develop under the guidance of a better manager.

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder." LDC.

Keen and energetic and not without technique to begin with, any short-comings were attributed to the need to adjust to the English game by most of us.

Frantic, non-confident and a goalless liability at the end.

I would love to see him come off under AN, but feel it is unlikely and too risky in the PL.

His failure was the highlight of the season for the binners. Eight million pounds was fantasy money to them and, accustomed only to running up losses and a debt, it gave them the perfect opportunity to gloat and put their own problems aside.

Not rational but that''s another reason to want the player to finally come off

[quote user="Jim Moriarty"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]I would write RVW off just yet.

[/quote]

I seem to remember a few years ago people saying that Gareth Bale was too slight. He put the work in on the physical side of his game and became one of the best players in the league.

The likes of Sterling/Hazard/Coutinho are all quite slight but are some of the best players in the league.

I''m not suggesting that he is ever going to be as good as the aforementioned, but it is lazy to write him off on this basis already.

I for one would welcome the chance to see how he could develop under the guidance of a better manager.[/quote]
Physical strength isnt everything, I agree, but if you dont have that then you need something additional in your locker. Great close control, skill on the ball, a good footballing brain, mental strength, tenacity, work ethic.
If he has a few of those he has kept them quiet.