Sign in to follow this  
Dave

So if Hughton went

McNally must be looking around, he''s smart and knows that the club have a squad that should stay in the League at the very least - period.

There are no ''obvious'' candidates. I like Malky, a Norwich legend, but he isn''t available and I''m not sure about him yet. O''Neill is a curious one. He lost his motivation at Sunderland and looked forlorn and tired. A motivated O''Neill would be a much better proposition for Norwich, but does that O''Neill exist anymore? Holloway would be entertaining, but not necessarily in the results department and that''s what counts.

The poster who quoted Derek Llambias is a good one. What seemed harsh at the time towards Hughton, now seems a much more thoughtful and far sighted decision.

It will be sad to see Hughton go, but for the sake of the club, he has to.

If we lose on Sat, Hughton will be sacked, if we draw he may go to. I like Hughton as a person and if he turns it around I will be more than happy. But money has been spent, on I believe good players, and McNally expects results. I still think we will stay up either way and I think Di Matteo would be an excellent choice of manager, failing that G.Zola.

I''m off to Man Utd and Man City games next week, looking forward to it however is in charge, as I think we signed some good players this summer (whether Hughton was totally in charge of transfer dealings I think is debatable). One way or another I think we''ll be okay.

[quote user="basil brush"]McNally must be looking around, he''s smart and knows that the club have a squad that should stay in the League at the very least - period.

There are no ''obvious'' candidates. I like Malky, a Norwich legend, but he isn''t available and I''m not sure about him yet. O''Neill is a curious one. He lost his motivation at Sunderland and looked forlorn and tired. A motivated O''Neill would be a much better proposition for Norwich, but does that O''Neill exist anymore? Holloway would be entertaining, but not necessarily in the results department and that''s what counts.

The poster who quoted Derek Llambias is a good one. What seemed harsh at the time towards Hughton, now seems a much more thoughtful and far sighted decision.

It will be sad to see Hughton go, but for the sake of the club, he has to.[/quote]

A well considered post that comes to the right conclusion. Hughton out now

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]

I went to the Fans Forum a couple of weeks ago. Seeing Hughton talk in the flesh was a good experience. I liked him, he''s respectful, charming, articulate, but I spent a lot of the time thinking, would this man get another job in the Premier League based on his performance in the Premier League at Newcastle and Norwich? I really don''t think he would. Obviously that''s up for debate, but I do often think back to what Derek Lambias said just after Chris Hughton was sacked by Newcastle: ''We felt we wanted to change the mentality in the dressing room. We felt we were capable of being a bit more ambitious''.

We still have a manager though and until that changes, we must stand behind him, as loyal fans of our football club. He does make it harder and harder to believe in him, but we must, as the alternative is hoping your team don''t win and that''s never ever a good attitude.[/quote]I was at the same meeting and have been to others when Paul Lambert was

in charge. Chris Hughton like you struck me as a very polite thoughtful

individual, nothing like his predecessor. Against that Lambert had more

of a '' presence '' about him ; someone who you felt wasn''t afraid to take

a chance.

It was interesting what Newcastle''s Lambias said

about their ex-manager and you can''t help feeling he had a point. I

wouldn''t for one minute want his successor at Carrow Road, but, love him

or loathe him there is something different about Alan Pardew.  It

hasn''t always worked for him but he doesn''t seem afraid to '' go for it

''.

Like most on here I really want it to work for Chris Hughton

and will gladly admit I under-estimated him if that proves to be the

case. But like you felt at the meeting and someone wrote elsewhere on

here that there''s a nagging feeling that we sometimes feel like a

Premier League club but with a Championship manager.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]I see that Holloway got his tactics spot on again, reckon he would do a job.[/quote]

Where are you Wiz ? [:D]

I have long thought that Grant Holt could make a good manager, but I seem to recall that he expressed a wish to be a Policeman when he retired. I suppose that the distance from Carlisle would also stop him from taking the City job. If you look at young managers on the up, Sean Dyche at Burnley could enter the equation, last years bright hope, Dougie Freedman seems to be struggling at Bolton but apart from Malky at Cardiff and Michael Laudrup at Swansea the list of prospects in this country is decidedly thin.

Mervmeister wrote the following post at 22/10/2013 9:28 AM:

Di Matteo or take a punt on a foreign coach like most other teams now. Someone like the Southampton manager please.

And there lies the problem ............... I don''t want to ''take a punt on a foreign coach''. Too many of them come here take the money and leave.

If they are good they will use us as a stepping stone (as did Lambert) and leave, if they are poor they will destroy the foundations that Hughton has been building since he has been here.

Patience is a virtue.

If the club were to inexplicably sack Hughton I''d like to see either:

Di Matteo

Nigel Clough

Martin Jol

Some odd choices for sure. For me anyway.

Why do people want to get rid of a manager who is clearly changing the way the team has been set up. Who kept us up last season. Has been giving our biggest budget ever to bring in our own players. And replace him with people with an average record at the top level, or no record at all?

Di Matteo may be ok, but i''m very very torn on him. Read plenty of negative stuff about his managerial reigns at Chelsea and WBA. Some claiming his best achievement, at Chelsea, was actually just the Chelsea players taking care of themselves and him not really having the dressing room to to speak.

Nigel Clough. He''s no Brian, not by a long shot.

Jol, would be no better than Hughton. He hasn''t really pushed Fulham on, despite them having a few class players, they are no better than when he took over. We are a similar club to Fulham in many ways, no reason to assume he''d do any better here.

I don''t see the point of replacing Hughton at this stage with any unproven manager. If we were to sack him, the only reasonable appointment would be someone with a proven (and preferably recent) track record at the top.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Some odd choices for sure. For me anyway.

Why do people want to get rid of a manager who is clearly changing the way the team has been set up. Who kept us up last season. Has been giving our biggest budget ever to bring in our own players. And replace him with people with an average record at the top level, or no record at all?

Di Matteo may be ok, but i''m very very torn on him. Read plenty of negative stuff about his managerial reigns at Chelsea and WBA. Some claiming his best achievement, at Chelsea, was actually just the Chelsea players taking care of themselves and him not really having the dressing room to to speak.

Nigel Clough. He''s no Brian, not by a long shot.

Jol, would be no better than Hughton. He hasn''t really pushed Fulham on, despite them having a few class players, they are no better than when he took over. We are a similar club to Fulham in many ways, no reason to assume he''d do any better here.

I don''t see the point of replacing Hughton at this stage with any unproven manager. If we were to sack him, the only reasonable appointment would be someone with a proven (and preferably recent) track record at the top.[/quote]

GP, if you mean a recently successful record in the Premier League, then we don''t get to pick from that small pool of managers. They will be happy where they are, or looking to move to a bigger club (as with Lambert) or to a top six club (as with Rodgers, and as Laudrup will). And we don''t get to pick from the top tier of managers - the world stars with pretty much unblemished records.We have to choose from the third tier, consisting of up and coming managers unproven at the top level such as Eddie Howe (so very risky), old stagers who will "do a job", such as Steve Bruce, or those - such as Hughton - with a far from perfect record. Plus the highly risky overseas choice of someone new to English football.

salrd starstier of , of managers - sWe get to pick from thethe thiurd tier of managers - tose

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]salrd starstier of , of managers - sWe get to pick from thethe thiurd tier of managers - tose[/quote]Good post. [<:o)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]salrd starstier of , of managers - sWe get to pick from thethe thiurd tier of managers - tose[/quote]Good post. [<:o)][/quote]

I just wanted to kill off this idea that I''m "smooth-talking"...[:$][:D][;)]

One thing I''m mindful of is the phrase ''be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it''. If Hughton is removed from his position at some stage then we could find ourselves in a position like Sunderland did, where no obvious candidate stands out and you end up appointing the best of a bad bunch. This happened to them - twice. Di Canio didn''t stand out, neither did Gus Poyet. I believe Sunderland will go down. If Poyet keeps them up, then he''s by far a better manager than I ever gave him credit for. Until then, I think it was a poor appointment and one that stinks of not knowing what else to do.

As for our choices, there certainly are an odd mix on here. Someone suggested Nigel Clough? Steve McClaren? I''m majorly surprised by that, unless they were meant as a joke. As previously stated, my desired top three would be: Martin O''Neill, Malky Mackay, Harry Redknapp. Probably O''Neill and Redknapp ahead of Mackay. We may need a more experienced head.

The quote I put up yesterday from Derek Lambias (ex Newcastle Chief Exec) says quite a bit about Hughton. Ironic that CH''s Newcastle beat Villa 6-0 and Sunderland 5-1 that season and they STILL wanted a more positive approach. Says quite a lot about what Newcastle were like in the other games that season. I believe they also won quite a few games 1-0 in the Championship the season before, but that''s by the by.

I agree that McNally will have one eye on another manager, just incase. From what I heard, we had one eye on Chris Hughton throughout Lambert''s final 18 months here so it makes sense to have a backup. Funny how a few weeks ago lots of people on here were willing the club to appoint Gianfranco Zola if Hughton was sacked. Always thought Zola would be a bad choice. Perhaps that 3-2 victory at Watford put a lot of people off him, haven''t seen his name mentioned in this thread (unless I missed it).

I suppose the issue now with Hughton is that I just can''t see things improving beyond maybe 1 win in every 4-5 games. 6 Premier League wins in 29 games says it all unfortunately.

I reckon Arsene Wenger could do a job. And his position must be pretty tenuous after that Aston Villa debacle - a lot of Arsenal fans wanted him gone after that one (that & their not winning anything for 8 years) .....

[quote user="stewfil"]I wonder if Hughton and McNally are reading this thread and having a good laugh?[/quote]

Mcnally''s programming does not allow him to laugh just like the terminator

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]

I suppose the issue now with Hughton is that I just can''t see things improving beyond maybe 1 win in every 4-5 games. 6 Premier League wins in 29 games says it all unfortunately.[/quote]Funny. Last week we had a thread stating 8 in the last 30.Stats are great eh? Especially when you can quote them slightly differently in order to favor you own opinion. I''m interested in what the new "x wins in y" stat will be next week.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]One thing I''m mindful of is the phrase ''be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it''. If Hughton is removed from his position at some stage then we could find ourselves in a position like Sunderland did, where no obvious candidate stands out and you end up appointing the best of a bad bunch. This happened to them - twice. Di Canio didn''t stand out, neither did Gus Poyet. I believe Sunderland will go down. If Poyet keeps them up, then he''s by far a better manager than I ever gave him credit for. Until then, I think it was a poor appointment and one that stinks of not knowing what else to do. As for our choices, there certainly are an odd mix on here. Someone suggested Nigel Clough? Steve McClaren? I''m majorly surprised by that, unless they were meant as a joke. As previously stated, my desired top three would be: Martin O''Neill, Malky Mackay, Harry Redknapp. Probably O''Neill and Redknapp ahead of Mackay. We may need a more experienced head. The quote I put up yesterday from Derek Lambias (ex Newcastle Chief Exec) says quite a bit about Hughton. Ironic that CH''s Newcastle beat Villa 6-0 and Sunderland 5-1 that season and they STILL wanted a more positive approach. Says quite a lot about what Newcastle were like in the other games that season. I believe they also won quite a few games 1-0 in the Championship the season before, but that''s by the by. I agree that McNally will have one eye on another manager, just incase. From what I heard, we had one eye on Chris Hughton throughout Lambert''s final 18 months here so it makes sense to have a backup. Funny how a few weeks ago lots of people on here were willing the club to appoint Gianfranco Zola if Hughton was sacked. Always thought Zola would be a bad choice. Perhaps that 3-2 victory at Watford put a lot of people off him, haven''t seen his name mentioned in this thread (unless I missed it). I suppose the issue now with Hughton is that I just can''t see things improving beyond maybe 1 win in every 4-5 games. 6 Premier League wins in 29 games says it all unfortunately.[/quote]

If you are going to quote someone please get it right.

Lambias never said he ''wanted a more positive approach'', he said he wanted someone to argue with him, the quote says more about Lambias''s style of management than Hughtons.

Perhaps you should gibe McNally more credit, his track record says that he seems to know a good manager when he sees one.

My quote of Lambias is correct, thanks. He said they wanted to change the mentality in the dressing room that would bring a more positive approach. He may have said what you have quoted but he also said what I quoted, ta.

Also, how can anyone argue with the 6 Premier League wins since last Christmas? It''s a fact. Sorry.

This is your quote from yesterday,

"I went to the Fans Forum a couple of weeks ago. Seeing Hughton talk in the flesh was a good experience. I liked him, he''s respectful, charming, articulate, but I spent a lot of the time thinking, would this man get another job in the Premier League based on his performance in the Premier League at Newcastle and Norwich? I really don''t think he would. Obviously that''s up for debate, but I do often think back to what Derek Lambias said just after Chris Hughton was sacked by Newcastle: ''We felt we wanted to change the mentality in the dressing room. We felt we were capable of being a bit more ambitious''. "

Here''s a link to the quotes from Lambias

http://www.nufcblog.com/2012/03/09/derek-llambias-hughton-a-great-guy-but-he-had-to-go/

He never said ''a more positive approach'', you''re just making stuff up, you should apologise.