Sign in to follow this  
Dave

So if Hughton went

I have not seen one suggestion in this thread which vindicates sacking our manager.  O''Neill?  Jol?  REDKNAPP?!  Bloody hell.

Based on this particular team''s brilliant start[Y] to the season, and given how the manager is ably coping with two squads of players for two different compétitions, including integrating several newcomers, there can only be one choice...(drum roll)nutty nigel of the PUPs!!!

[quote user="ncfcstar"]I have not seen one suggestion in this thread which vindicates sacking our manager.  O''Neill?  Jol?  REDKNAPP?!  Bloody hell.
[/quote]

Check out O''Neils wins stats .......they are far better than Hughtons.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]I have not seen one suggestion in this thread which vindicates sacking our manager.  O''Neill?  Jol?  REDKNAPP?!  Bloody hell.[/quote]

[/quote]Actually the last two roles he''s had are remarkably similar.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]I have not seen one suggestion in this thread which vindicates sacking our manager.  O''Neill?  Jol?  REDKNAPP?!  Bloody hell.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually the last two roles he''s had are remarkably similar.
[/quote]

Agreed, but he was also looking after a very sick wife too, unlike CH.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]I have not seen one suggestion in this thread which vindicates sacking our manager.  O''Neill?  Jol?  REDKNAPP?!  Bloody hell.[/quote]

[/quote]

And Ted MacDougall''s goal stats are better than Hooper''s but I know who I''d rather see in the team on Saturday.

O''Neill was a great manager.  He has little over the past five years and nothing over the past two to suggest that he still is.   In his final months at Sunderland he looked lost, exhausted and broken.   I really doubt that he has it in him to manage at this level again.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually the last two roles he''s had are remarkably similar.
[/quote]

Agreed, but he was also looking after a very sick wife too, unlike CH.

[/quote]

O''Neill had lost his touch way before his wife became ill. He has said ''I don''t do tactics'' and seeing as every team he has ever managed has played excatly the same way shows this. O''Neill is a little bit of a dinosaur now and I doubt he''ll ever achieve any success in the Premier League again. 4-4-2 with two wingers bombing forward lumping the ball to two big strikers just doesn''t cut it anymore.

O''Neill, Jol? - I don''t understand this. In the event we parted company with Hughton (and we''re a long way from that in my opinion), we need poach a manager on the up, not a manager who''s failed/failing at their last/current job.Redknap? - Can''t wait to also have Tal Ben Haim, Niko Kranjcar & Assou-Ekotto all follow him as well. I don''t see why Redknap is so lauded after. The guy is a one-trick pony. He has no scouting, just has the same lazy players follow him from club to club.Hoddle? - Come on. Really? If we''re going to go full-on nostalgia, can we also employ a jumpers for goalposts policy.These options are not better than what we have. The only realistic suggestion I''ve seen on this tread that could be better is Solakjaer, and I''m not 100% sure he''s realistic. Zola would be a maybe, but again, I think he is in with the owners at Watford, and wants to build something there.However IMO Hughton is currently the best man for the job. That might change in a few games, but such is the life of a football manager & supporter.

I''d quite like a guy who can attract a few fresh players to the club. Much Like Hughton has single handedly attracted Redmond and Bassong to the club.

I like Laudrups appointment and Pochettino''s appointments for this reason. I reckon someone like Meulensteen could tap into the dutch market a bit more for us.

Another area to consider would be Scandinavia, Lars Largerback of Iceland probably wouldn''t be interested until the world cup was over but Solskjaer is just waiting for that chance and would attract the best of scandinavian talent as well as a few from Man U 2nds.

If not them two areas, maybe a German would be nice. I like the direction the Bundesliga is heading and a german or two with typical bavarian mentality could really help steady the ship.

For now, i''m prepared to keep faith in Hughton as I want to see how he can do now we have some decent home games coming up.

To attract the kind of player we need, we need a bit extra as the likes of Everton and Newcastle are more attractive propositions.

If Mackay became available, i''d be interested but otherwise, i''d rather we went for an exciting appointment from the left field somewhere.

Well, well, well, this seems a very underwealming list. Wiz is suggesting getting in the guy sacked by Sunderland who are where precisely.......oh yes bottom.

The truth would seem to be that there is a cohort that have never managed to process the Lambert hyperbole. Hughton was never going to generate the same excitement, mainly due to the fact that winning the Prem was never going to be on the cards. So there is a feeling that something is wrong (rather than diappointing). Does anyone think another manager would seriously do a much better job? Sure there might be a short term bounce, but long term? I think this debate will run and run for two reasons. Firstly, nothing Hughton does will ever be good enough for the Hobnobs. Secondly, unless the team completely implodes which even the real pessimists don''t expect the club will stick with Hughton - and that includes through relegation & the start of a Champs season because they don''t relaistically believe there is better value at there.

What happened to the ''Holloway is God'' brigade, just the sort of manager we need?All gone very quiet on that front.

[quote user="Local canary"]

My preference in order is

1) Paul Lambert

2) Paul Lambert

3) Paul Lambert

4) Paul Lambert

5) Anyone but Hughton

[/quote]

and here is where it all falls down.. giove it up.. Lambert is gone and no amount of Hoping is EVER going to bring him back...

Lambert wouldnt come back, McNally wouldnt have it back....

accept it... if you want to see Paul Lambert again go and support Aston Villa....

I think everyone can forget about Solskjaer - he has said many times that he doesn''t want to leave Norway until his kids finish school. The only job he said that would tempt him back to England in the next couple of years is the Man United job.

There isn''t much available talent around at the moment in England and bringing in a manager with no experience of the Premier League mid-season is a very risky route to take. Pochettino has done a good job at Southampton, but it took him a few months to really get going there.

Of the eight league games so far this season Norwich have put in good performances against Everton, Southampton, Stoke, Chelsea and Arsenal - Tottenham, Hull and Villa were below standard. People saying ''the table doesn''t lie'' 8 games into a 38 game season are stupid - of course it lies at this point in time - Norwich have played 3 of the top 5 (4 of the top 6 or 5 of the top 7) so far this season.

Everyone is raving about Southampton but so far they have played Palace, Sunderland and Wet Ham at home already this season. I think if Norwich had those fixtures they would be closer to where Saints are currently rather than in the bottom 3. Norwich are the only team to have beaten Southampton this season as well.

It''s unfortunate now that CH seems to have reached a point where he doesn''t have to do too much in order to be slaughtered by some of our fans. Some of it fair, some of it harsh. I can only see one outcome - we will finish the season with a different manager.

I, and most other NC fans, wanted Hughton to succeed. The thing I was most excited about when he was appointed was that it seemed a real possibility that he could be our manager for the next 5-10 years, if successful, giving us real stability, building the club for a more successful future. It doesn''t seem to be panning out that way at the moment.

I would like to know exactly how good Calderwood and Trollope are. Let''s face it, we speculate that they are rubbish but none of us really know. Of course CH will praise them but what else can he do. I''m very unsure what CC and PT offer us. I think Hughton has carved a position for himself where he''s a little bit damned if he does, damned if he doesn''t - that''s his own doing really.

I do believe that Norwich fans who are true to themselves will see that last season we were really quite fortunate to stay up, let alone finish 11th. Our form in the league since last Christmas is 6 wins in something like 28 or 29 games. That''s a horrific record brought on by negativity tactics and poor team selection.

My reputation on here is one for being very negative and last season I''ll hold my hands up and say that going into the last 6/7 games, I was so so so negative. This season I have learnt to look at things a bit more objectively and try to be fairer to CH. Not many really pick up on that and are keen to zoom in on any negative comment you make, but I have been much more fair, whilst still remaining honest.

Unfortunately, as I said above, I do see CH leaving the club this side of Christmas. I see us finishing the season with either Martin O''Neill or Malky Mackay in charge. McNally will back Hughton for as long as he feels he can because DM has to justify his appointment of Hughton. Therefore, if we lose our next two games, I still think Hughton will remain in charge but McNally saying he''s "embarrassed" by our league position coupled with Bowkett saying we are aiming to finish 10th means the pressure is most certainly on Chris Hughton and his back room staff. I just don''t see a positive outcome for Mr. Hughton I''m afraid.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]"Pochettino took a few months to get going"..... Agree Bethnal but our guy has had over a year and still hasn''t really got going. I''d take that! That''s why IMO he has to go soon![/quote]

I wouldn''t really agree with that - Hughton has got Norwich going in fits and starts and the squad certainly performed to its potential last season, some would say above their level considering the lack of investment.

Bringing in someone with no experience at this point in the league would be foolish in my opinion - and with the squad I can''t see what could be done dramatically differently to the current set-up. I personally think Hughton has at some points been a little slow to make changes, I don''t mean subs, but some players were given too many games when it was clear something need to be done; the main culprits being Garrido and Johnson. The last three games have given me renewed confidence for the season, if Norwich maintain that level across the season they will win plenty of games.

While I''m not a Hughton-outter, I''d throw the name of Paulo Souza into the hat. As a player he won two CL titles, worked for QPR, then successfully managed Swansea, before a short and unsuccessful stint at Mandaric''s Leicester. Then he worked miracle leading Hungarian side Videoton to the EL, where they beat Sporting (with the Wolf in it) and Basel. Currently he''s on another promising EL-run with Maccabi Tel Aviv. He can set up teams very defensively, but has a wider tactical repertoire than Hughton, plus his knowledge of the of the Portuguese market could come handy.

I very much respect your posts Bethnal which, for the likes of me, give an insight into the pro game.

I so so hope your assessment is correct.

Mine is a little less technical - I have feeling in my water that we will have a new manager well before Christmas.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]It''s unfortunate now that CH seems to have reached a point where he doesn''t have to do too much in order to be slaughtered by some of our fans. Some of it fair, some of it harsh. I can only see one outcome - we will finish the season with a different manager.

I, and most other NC fans, wanted Hughton to succeed. The thing I was most excited about when he was appointed was that it seemed a real possibility that he could be our manager for the next 5-10 years, if successful, giving us real stability, building the club for a more successful future. It doesn''t seem to be panning out that way at the moment.

I would like to know exactly how good Calderwood and Trollope are. Let''s face it, we speculate that they are rubbish but none of us really know. Of course CH will praise them but what else can he do. I''m very unsure what CC and PT offer us. I think Hughton has carved a position for himself where he''s a little bit damned if he does, damned if he doesn''t - that''s his own doing really.

I do believe that Norwich fans who are true to themselves will see that last season we were really quite fortunate to stay up, let alone finish 11th. Our form in the league since last Christmas is 6 wins in something like 28 or 29 games. That''s a horrific record brought on by negativity tactics and poor team selection.

My reputation on here is one for being very negative and last season I''ll hold my hands up and say that going into the last 6/7 games, I was so so so negative. This season I have learnt to look at things a bit more objectively and try to be fairer to CH. Not many really pick up on that and are keen to zoom in on any negative comment you make, but I have been much more fair, whilst still remaining honest.

Unfortunately, as I said above, I do see CH leaving the club this side of Christmas. I see us finishing the season with either Martin O''Neill or Malky Mackay in charge. McNally will back Hughton for as long as he feels he can because DM has to justify his appointment of Hughton. Therefore, if we lose our next two games, I still think Hughton will remain in charge but McNally saying he''s "embarrassed" by our league position coupled with Bowkett saying we are aiming to finish 10th means the pressure is most certainly on Chris Hughton and his back room staff. I just don''t see a positive outcome for Mr. Hughton I''m afraid.[/quote]Good fair post.Only point I would disagree on is that Hughton''s appointment wasn''t rubber stamped by just Mr McNally. It was a Board decision although I''d concede that the Chief Exec probably steered the others round to his way of thinking when it came down to the vote.As to who will replace him is a good question. I doubt Martin O''Neill will manage any team again as he''s over 60 and has had family health problems to deal with too. Having that crazy man Tan as his boss means that Malky Mackay will almost certainly be a free agent soon but whether he''s be a better bet than our current manager is debatable.Perhaps Eddie Howe might be worth a gamble. All Premier League managers have to start somewhere......

I agree completely with Bethnal.

Hughton may not attract the best style of football, but this season we have clearly been improving the general overall style of play, in no small part down to Fer and then Howson being given a freer role in the middle.

We''ve had some tough games, a bit of bad luck and some poor finishing thrown in. But the performances against Southampton, Stoke, Chelsea and Arsenal (and Everon) were very encouraging. I''m very confidant we''ll beat Cardiff, we''ll then be on 10 points after 9 games and could move up the table 2/3/4 places. We are still capable of giving the top teams a good game, and I think we''ve been unlucky to lose to both Chelsea and Arsenal based on our performances.

If, and its a big if for me we don''t get 6/7/9 points from Cardiff, West Ham and Palace at home possibly with a bonus point or 3 against Newcastle then it will be time to worry. To sack Hughton now would be disastrous. If by the Palace game we aren''t on 13 points (preferably more) then the possibility of getting rid of Hughton becomes sensible to talk about.

[quote user="iron_stan"]harry would bite our hand off to be premier league again as quickly as possible

hes a good man manager, which is what we need, coaches arent managers, hughton is a coach, the likes of lambert and redknapp are man managers, motivators
[/quote]

I quite like Harry as a genial cockney geezer-but his record with clubs in the Premiership is nothing special. He managed to get QPR relegated despit having spent loads-a-maarney trying to avoid that doomsville scenario. I think I would stick with Chris for now as I really can''t think of a reliable enough readymade replacement.

I agree, the decision to appoint Hughton would have been a board decision, but only to an extent. I do think McNally has a bit of a free reign at the club as he is highly trusted by the board, and rightly so. I firmly believe that he would have recommended Hughton to the board and they would''ve said something like: ''We will go with your judgment, it worked last time. Get it done.''. And the deal was done. I''m not saying that''s a bad way of doing things, but I just don''t think it was as much a collaborative decision as some might think.

On the point of CH being replaced. It depends on our position in the league if/when he is dismissed. If we are in dire trouble, several points behind the rest and struggling badly, I find it hard to see us appointing a RDM type manager. We would more likely go with a Martin O''Neill type. I disagree with a previous poster, I think O''Neill will be the manager of a Premier League team again. Maybe us or Fulham this season, depending on Martin Jol''s performance. And Chris Hughton''s of course.

A previous poster mentioned Redknapp. I don''t think he''d come here, but I''d take him. I think the downfall of QPR had started way before he arrived. Yes, he had enough time to save them last season, but the mentality of some of the players there was just plain wrong. Some of the stories you hear beggar belief.

I went to the Fans Forum a couple of weeks ago. Seeing Hughton talk in the flesh was a good experience. I liked him, he''s respectful, charming, articulate, but I spent a lot of the time thinking, would this man get another job in the Premier League based on his performance in the Premier League at Newcastle and Norwich? I really don''t think he would. Obviously that''s up for debate, but I do often think back to what Derek Lambias said just after Chris Hughton was sacked by Newcastle: ''We felt we wanted to change the mentality in the dressing room. We felt we were capable of being a bit more ambitious''.

We still have a manager though and until that changes, we must stand behind him, as loyal fans of our football club. He does make it harder and harder to believe in him, but we must, as the alternative is hoping your team don''t win and that''s never ever a good attitude.

I''ve made the same point before, but if the right choice isn''t immediately available then we ought to get an experienced pair of hands in on a temporary basis until a suitable permanent replacement can be found. This seemed to work quite well for Chelsea when they put Benitez in charge until Mourinho became available. A lot of the better managers tend to change jobs at the end of the season.

If Hughton did leave a big problem with coaches in England is the massive difference in style of football between the Premiership and the lower leagues. I would not trust a successful lower league manager and we would probably look for a coach from abroad.

As for the likes of Pulis and Holloway, No Thanks. I still cannot fathom why anyone would want Holloway as manager.