Sign in to follow this  

The Bring back Bradders Campaign.

I''m a massive BJ Fan. And i''m a fan of Johnson too.

I''m not a big fan of Tettey. But I can''t deny that the midfield 3 we currently have has made our midfield look better than it did with BJ in it.

As much as i haven''t been too keen on Tettey i think he''s played very well overall - so unfortunately Bradley''s going to have to work extremely hard to get back into the side.

Tettey and Fer are working well together.

unless injury/suspension/ loss of form I can''t see Johnson getting back in.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

.for me Tetty IS the problem.

[/quote]

Yesterday you said Hughton was the problem.

Wiz, did you know that our much discussed 10 game winning streak came last year when Tettey was in the side?Wiz, did you also know that our much discussed poor run of form after Christmas last year came when Tettey was out of the side injured?Just thought I''d throw a few facts into the mix, seeing as though so far everything has been based on opinions - and everyone''s "right" to have one.

I don''t think there is much between Tetty and Johno and am happy for CH to pick whoever is on form.

I thought Tettey and Fer worked well together on Saturday, and don''t think Johnson should replace Tettey while Tettey is playing well. The main problem, whoever is playing, is getting the centre forward involved, and that may or may not be anything to do with the central midfield pairing.

Tettey has done what Johnson can do.

Johnson plays A LOT better when he''s limited. For some bizarre reason he keeps being given freedom to try and be creative, and i''m 95% sure thats a tactical decision, because many games he doesn''t attempt many/any long balls or 30 yard shots.

Tettey doesn''t put any through balls, his shot is hardly any better than Johnson''s. He is worse in the air. He doesn''t cover counter attacks half as well (I can almost guarantee you the Villa goal, and at least one or two of Chelsea/Arsenals counter attack goals wouldn''t have been scored if Johnson was playing).

Tettey has done well the past two games, but has done nothing that Johnson can''t do. He isn''t a creative midfielder, and has been playing a limited role, the role Johnson does very effectively. Tettey did well for a few games last year, then was dropped and never won his place back (and before anyone, like RVW 3 year contract say that was last year, it is perfectly relevant, last season was a few months ago against the same oppositions, not 5 years ago against league one teams.)

Fer and Howson as CM with Tettey or Johnson behind is the best midfield we can play. Tettey isn''t better than Johnson. Johnson just hasn''t been at his best for most of this season and was rightfully dropped to try something different. But how Tettey can get such high praise form some is completely bemusing.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Tettey has done what Johnson can do.

Johnson plays A LOT better when he''s limited. For some bizarre reason he keeps being given freedom to try and be creative, and i''m 95% sure thats a tactical decision, because many games he doesn''t attempt many/any long balls or 30 yard shots.

Tettey doesn''t put any through balls, his shot is hardly any better than Johnson''s. He is worse in the air. He doesn''t cover counter attacks half as well (I can almost guarantee you the Villa goal, and at least one or two of Chelsea/Arsenals counter attack goals wouldn''t have been scored if Johnson was playing).

Tettey has done well the past two games, but has done nothing that Johnson can''t do. He isn''t a creative midfielder, and has been playing a limited role, the role Johnson does very effectively. Tettey did well for a few games last year, then was dropped and never won his place back (and before anyone, like RVW 3 year contract say that was last year, it is perfectly relevant, last season was a few months ago against the same oppositions, not 5 years ago against league one teams.)

Fer and Howson as CM with Tettey or Johnson behind is the best midfield we can play. Tettey isn''t better than Johnson. Johnson just hasn''t been at his best for most of this season and was rightfully dropped to try something different. But how Tettey can get such high praise form some is completely bemusing.[/quote]

I find it quite funny that in your defiant defence of Bradley Johnson you cannot accept that Tettey has actually played really really well.

Johnson was dropped to try something different was he? Well if he''s as good as you make out others should have been dropped before him.He was dropped because he was bang out of form (although so was/is Snoddy yet he still plays..)

For goodness sake. READ THE POST.

I quite happily admitted Tettey played well. And said Johnson deserved to be dropped.

If you''re going to argue with me for the sake of it/too wind me up at least say something that doesn''t go completely against what i''ve said. Nothing you have said is true.

You blindly defend Bradley Johnson (and i know part of that is sarcasm as we "discuss" it before matches [:P]) and I dont have an issue with that.Gawd knows I used to (and still do!) defend Holty blindly in certain conversations and because I strongly believe everyone has the right to say and think what they want to I also dont have a problem with that.What I have the issue is when people (and I dont necessarily mean you as i dont happen to think you do it tbh) use futile arguments to  promote their favourite player at the belittlement of a player/s in the similar position.

It''s like these people that argue that Becchio hasnt been given a chance this season. Would people HONESTLY want RvW/Hoops to make way for Becchio?! The same people who argue for his inclusion would only use it as an argument to criticise Hughton.

Hughton just cannot win with some people. But then we knew that already...

You still can''t actually read my post/listen to me. I don''t blindly defend him. I said he deserved to be dropped, I am perfectly accepting of his weak points.

If you think thats blindly defending someone then you need to re-evaluate your definition of the term.

And like you say, people are always going to defend their best player. You wouldn''t have a word said against Holt, everything was the midfields fault and not his. I remember a ''discussion'' we had, I was like 90% agreeing with you but you kept going on about how perfect he was and wasn''t at fault when all I was trying to say is that he was a (small) part of the problem.

I have only every said Bradley is wonderful in a sarcastic manner. I know he''s not the perfect footballer, but he has a place, he has had a place for two seasons and will continue to have a place. Tettey deserved his chance against Watford (villa? can''t remember...) and deserved to start against Chelsea, he played well and played well against Arsenal. I just get extremely fed up of the people who treat Johnson like he''s some part time non-league player in terms of ability.

Regardless of anyones opinion of him, mine included. He started about 30 games for Lambert, 36ish for Hughton (in the league). He''s been a key part of the team. Of course that doesn''t make him perfect, and he can (possibly already has) be improved upon.

My point is, the game Tettey has played the last two games (and Watford) is a role Johnson has never failed at. Johnson''s shortcomings are when he''s given attacking freedom. When he''s allowed to play balls over the top and mess about with it. Win the ball give it to Fer/Howson/the LB. Thats what he does well. He covers well (better than Tettey) and is good in the air.

Tettey has done well and deserves his place, but Johnson really isn''t any worse than him.

Can''t agree with you there Ginger, I think Tettey is a better player than Johnson but he sufferred last season with a niggling knee injury. I don''t think it is just on Hughton''s orders that Johnson tries those stupid balls over the top, that is just part of his natural game - and he isn''t as good a short passer as Tettey either.

As you said Johnson isn''t an awful player, but he was playing awfully at the beginning of the season - the blog post on this site about him was eerily prescient as Johnson has mostly resembled a lower league clogger since August (the Southampton game apart).

What is it with people who know each other in IRL having a go at each other on here? Nutty and Tilly at first, now GP and RVW''s four year contract.

Tettey and Johnson started together at Watford for the first time since the Hull match, and they were both pretty awful. It was only after Fer came on that Tettey improved, maybe if CH had kept Johnson on he''d have improved and might still be in the side now ahead of Tettey.

It''s a bit like last season when Whittaker got injured and didn''t get back in the side, if there''s 2 players of a similar level then one has to play really badly or get injured before the other gets a chance-also Garrido and Olsson this season, it took a while for Olsson to get his chance but I think he''s probably better than Garrido.

Johnson is a rather limited player but when we gets the basics right is a very good enforcer in midfield, however when we gets the basics wrong he looks like a bit of a pub player, his distribution is never that good though it doesn''t tell the whole story.

His form when he played the first 4 or 5 matches was pretty awful to be honest, and he had to be really pretty awful before he got dropped, there is no player sitting on the sidelines in the club who will make a massive difference to what is an improving whole...

The real problem is the injury to E Bennett as Snodgrass has no real pressure bearing on him despite some very iffy performances...

Midfield working well at the moment Wiz, but I think Johnson can count certainly himself very unlucky to be honest, as he has put in very few poor performances last season and this until he lost his place. That said, Tettey, a player I really hadnt warmed to, has been excellent recently and fully justifies his place in the team.

Ist wizard talking out of hisbackpassage yet again!

He obviously didn''t go to Spurs where I think I could have played as well (or more like p*iss poorly!) as Johnson!

After that he was rightly dropped and the midfields looked better since!

Johnson was better than Fer first half against Spurs.

He misplaced 3 passes out of 24, won three tackles, two or three blocks, couple clearances and one foul. Fer had misplaced more passes, committed three fouls and won/cleared/intercepted the ball twice.

No idea why Johnson got flack for that game. Bizzare. He had Townsend running in at him one one side, and Poulinho and some other class midfielder passing it round him the other. He did nothing wrong, it was an impossible situation for him.

And he was taken off for Howson as Hughton clearly wanted someone to come on and try to pass it around a bit more as we''d hardly kept the ball. Not Johnsons fault.

[quote user="Bws Cat "]What is it with people who know each other in IRL having a go at each other on here? Nutty and Tilly at first, now GP and RVW''s four year contract.[/quote]

Could well be something to do with the fact that although people know each other they can also think independently pus[;)]

Last week Wiz wanted Elmander driven out of the club for repeating something done before by Tierney who he stuck up for.

This week he wants to bring back Bradley Johnson in place of Tettey who it''s widely accepted is playing well.

What''s it going to be next week? Fish and Chip Shops are better than Chinese Takeaways[:^)]

I''d have a on form BJ over a on form Tettey,Although at this moment in time, the midfield 3 of Tettey, Fer and Howson appear to be working and BJ''s form warrants a place on the bench.

Embarrassing post! I could of understood the reasoning if BJ had been picked to add extra defensive resilience against Chelsea or Arsenal. In all honesty the best part of our performances in these games has come from the midfield trio of Tettey, Fer and Howson. The midfield is keeping the ball so much better than we have seen before.

BJ''s main weakness is his ability to pass the ball.

I think Johnson has been a good player for us, but the first XI has improved beyond him. He is still of course, excellent backup.

I think it is fair to say, and certainly quite clear, that Bradley Johnson has a "better engine" than Tettey as it were. But as can be inferred from his relatively poor passing rate of success last year, he invites a heavier workload off the ball for himself and others by virtue of his limited ability to effectively and efficiently distribute the ball.

From WOTB:

Philippe Auclair on Football Weekly described Alex Tettey as “The Norwegian Yaya Toure”