Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report vChelsea

A brisk walk to CR was just what was needed after the over indulgence of  Xmas Day. City''s only change was Holt for Moro as they kicked off towards the Barclay. It was all very defensive minded in the opening quarter with goal mouth action being rarer then hens teeth. There was never any danger of Chelsea doing another "Villa" but it meant for a low level of entertainment and the CR crowd was as quiet as I have heard in many a long day.Luiz banged a couple of 25 yarder''s high wide and handsome but the first real threat came when Mata almost got through on the right with a low shot into the side-netting. City''s chances were few and far between. A couple of corners came to naught and poor final passes  undid much of City''s good work. Tetty and Johno were stifling most of Chelsea''s moves but the Londoners now exerted a fair measure of control and the City rearguard was often at full stretch. Just as it seemed that the half would end all square Chelsea went ahead with a classy goal from Mata. With superb footwork he made space for himself and blasted a rising shot past Bunn and into the top corner. A great pity because Turner and Bassong had kept Chelsea''s ace marksmen relatively quiet but I guess that''s what you get when you buy in the mega-millions market.At the half it was hosing it down with rain but it didn''t put Chelsea''s fire out, Moses was a real handful on the left and Bunn had to make a couple of smart stops to keep out efforts from that side of the pitch. The team needed the crowd to get behind them and finally they did when at last Wes sparked a forward move as he slipped Holty in with a chance. The effort skidded wide but in any event the big man was marginally offside. City had to be so accurate with every pass to exert any pressure else the Chelsea defence would quickly snuff out any danger. Pilks almost wriggled through after a good passing move but was eventually crowded out and the shot was blocked. Snoddy had been a live wire all afternoon but there were seldom enough men forward to take advantage of his good work.Despite their dominance Chelsea couldn''t get the second goal to make the game safe thanks largely to solid defensive work and great covering from Tetty and Johno. Wes was finding it hard against Luiz but he did enough to give hope that City might get that one chance if only they could stay in the game. Howson and Moro came on for Pilks and Johno and as time ticked down City won a free kick and everyone came forward for a last effort. Turner headed dangerously into the six yard box and Cole desperately cleared over his own bar with Holty ready to pounce. From Snoddy''s corner there was so nearly a twist in the tale as Bassong had a clear header but he got a bit over the top of it and it bounced over the bar onto the top of the net.Alex Tetty easily my MOM with Johno, Snoddy, Bassong all worthy of a mention in dispatches. It was a hard old game and no doubting that Chelsea were worthy of the points but City hung in there for a long time and with many more winnable games coming up in the new year it is best not to get too worked up about this defeat. It has been a good first half of the season and Ricardo enters the New Year in a confident frame of mind.[:D]

Thanks Ricardo - great report as always.Watching from the stream on the pc I would agree with  most of what you reported. I don''t know if I would have given Tettey MOM as I felt some of his passing was a little stray, but he is great at breaking play and driving forward - something we have been lacking under PL.I thought Wes played really well - he always wants the ball and is always looking for a forward pass. He wasn''t as effective as he has been, but the majority of our offensive play seem to be directed by him.One last thing to mention from my view - again we are missing some far post headers late on. We must have missed half a dozen against the baggies, and of course the two you mention today. Even taking one of those 8 or so chances would have got us a valuable point, taking two could have got us 3.We were competetive against Chelsea - the form team of the moment, and that is a major positive. Bring on the champions!!OTBC

Hmm, not sure if I can agree with Tettey as MotM, not great passing today and too often he won the ball and have it straight back to them, not quite his usual self.

It seems I''ve been at a different game today, Tettey MotM and Snodgrass excellent...

We did well enough, Chelsea needed a great strike from range to win the game, but I felt it the team and a couple individuals seriously lacked some of the attiributes we have become accustomed to over the past couple months.

Thanks for the report Ricardo. Could not make the game today and always look forward to your objective commentary on those occasions.

Pleased you finished on a positive note, which has perked me up. Our upcoming fixture list may require a bit of keeping the faith!

Thanks as usual for report Ricardo and as per usual I agree with the overwhelming majority of it, although I struggled with a MOM as didnt think there was one real stand out today, but it was a very decent team performance against a team full of quality. It was a game I didnt thnk we would win ahving watched them dismantle Villa, but as it wore on really thought we would snatch an equaliser and actually feel we deserved a point.

My man of the match by the proverbial country mile was Michael turner who i don''t think put a foot wrong. Tettey did a lot of good really work but like a few others was let down by his passing.

For me Snodgrass was head and shoulders ahead of the rest, with the back 4 all doing a solid job

Today and citeh don''t matter too much, but as others say play like this week after week and we will finish top half.

We needed a front to back performance today and whilst most had a good game, particularly our back line and keeper, I thought that Pilkington was ghosting around for most of the time providing little energy defensively with only a few attacking probes which failed to link with the rest of the attack. Tettey for all his lateral movement made too many mistakes and jonno''s sense of direction could of been better despite his energy. All in all, not a bad performance against the European champions ...bring on the the other Mancs!

Pretty much agree with much of your report ricardo. Felt Tettey''s passing was not quite as good as we''ve seen. But then again Chelsea moved very quickly to intercept passes so not sure how much was down to his passes being poor and how much was Chelsea being quicker than our players.

You forgot to mention the ''Bedknobs and Broomsticks'' football match tackle in front of The Barclay. Remember the tiger taking the ball from the crocodile so quick, a flame trail appears? If memory serves it was Turner taking the ball off Mata. His face was a picture as he couldn''t believe it had happened.

Tetty as MOTM? I don''t think so, for me it was Turner. Didn''t really see him put a foot wrong all game.

One thing about today''s game is it maxe it shockingly clear we need a new forward or new attacking flair! Chelsea where there for the taking today, but we had nothing to give going forward

I count about 5 different MOM''s in the comments so far. It just shows how no two people see the same game. I gave it to Tetty for his 100% performance, great cover in front of the defence and some vital ball winning tackles.He made a couple of wayward passes but who didn''t? On one occasion when he made a poor pass he quickly made ground and won the ball back with great strength leaving the Chelsea player on the floor.I have no quibble with people who give MOM to Turner, Bassong, Wes or Snoddy as all had good games. Its all a matter of opinion and there are no marks for being more right than someone else.There were no poor performers today but in my reading of the game Tetty personified the grit shown by the entire team and that''s why he''s my No 1 today.

Turner m.o.m for me as well. Looks a completely different player now he''s fully fit.  Thought Tettey was ok, maybe looking a little jaded. Johnson was poor and again no end product from Hoolahan. Although he''s neat on the ball, playing so far forward, he needs more goals and assists to justify his inclusion. Suprised Morison came on, thought the game was crying out for jackson.  

Johnson was poor?

He was one of the few trying to be creative, number of decent balls out wide to Pilks, Garrido and occasionally Snod. Wasn''t as sloppy as Tettey and was winning the ball at least as much as him.

I know I like Johnson, but Tettey is usual the better player, just don''t quite know what he did today that was all that good, wasn''t poor, but wasn''t anywhere near his usual self for me.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Johnson was poor?

He was one of the few trying to be creative, number of decent balls out wide to Pilks, Garrido and occasionally Snod. Wasn''t as sloppy as Tettey and was winning the ball at least as much as him.

I know I like Johnson, but Tettey is usual the better player, just don''t quite know what he did today that was all that good, wasn''t poor, but wasn''t anywhere near his usual self for me.[/quote]Funny old game intut Ginger?All these people seeing completely different games to each other.And we were all at the same match, apparently.Thass a rum old dew.[;)]

Well I know everything, so I know I''m right :P

(P.S that was a joke before anyone thinks I think I do know everything, or my opinion is better in some way...)

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well I know everything, so I know I''m right :P

(P.S that was a joke before anyone thinks I think I do know everything, or my opinion is better in some way...)[/quote]We bow to your superior knowledge Ginger.LOLHappy Xmas

I thought Norwich did the right thing today after going a goal down. Instead of chasing the game and being picked off on the counter we remained in the game throughout. You could see that Chelsea became increasingly anxious about this as the game wore on as they were aware one mistake could end up costing them points.

We gave ourselves the platform to have a go in the last 15 minutes or so. While logic dictates you should throw on strikers if you need a goal the problem we had was that we became outnumbered in midfield doing that and we were unable to supply them with any decent service. As a result we never really threatened apart from Bassong''s header.

Unfortunately on the day it wasn''t to be. I don''t think that was down to the tactics or gameplan. You just need everyone to be at the races to really trouble a side like Chelsea. That didn''t quite happen today. But there were plenty of positives. We were organised, kept our discipline well and competed. I have no doubt we will be absolutely fine for the rest of the season and will survive with a bit to spare.

Didn''t see the game but the number who did who picked out Turner''s performance is really encouraging. A number of sides below us look brittle and vulnerable and our defensive steel really sets us apart from them if we can keep it up. While we have let a few in of late, once we get Citeh out the way i think we can go on another run that will see us to safety while the daffodils are still out.

[quote user="a1canary"]Didn''t see the game but the number who did who picked out Turner''s performance is really encouraging. A number of sides below us look brittle and vulnerable and our defensive steel really sets us apart from them if we can keep it up. While we have let a few in of late, once we get Citeh out the way i think we can go on another run that will see us to safety while the daffodils are still out.[/quote]

It''s very heartening for me that not only have the last two losses been narrow in both cases we could have nicked a point but also the gap between us and 18th remains a healthy 10 points. I think about this......

And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="a1canary"]Didn''t see the game but the number who did who picked out Turner''s performance is really encouraging. A number of sides below us look brittle and vulnerable and our defensive steel really sets us apart from them if we can keep it up. While we have let a few in of late, once we get Citeh out the way i think we can go on another run that will see us to safety while the daffodils are still out.[/quote]

It''s very heartening for me that not only have the last two losses been narrow in both cases we could have nicked a point but also the gap between us and 18th remains a healthy 10 points. I think about this......

And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

[/quote]

Nowhere near safe yet. Back to back defeats, we still need 5 wins.

No Ruddy, Holt not fit, Bassong not fit.

1994/5 looms large in the memory.

[quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]I thought Norwich did the right thing today after going a goal down. Instead of chasing the game and being picked off on the counter we remained in the game throughout.[/quote]

How so? We lost. That precludes any assumptions of doing things ''right''.

[quote user="pyjamas"][quote user="Cambridge Yellow"]I thought Norwich did the right thing today after going a goal down. Instead of chasing the game and being picked off on the counter we remained in the game throughout.[/quote] How so? We lost. That precludes any assumptions of doing things ''right''.[/quote]

Read the post again.

Rather than going "gung-ho" and throwing people forward allowing the superior opposition players to simply play through us (Did you see Chelsea play Villa?), we stuck to the game plan, kept the game tight and looked to nick something, which, had Bassong better directed his header, we would have done.

Excellent report Ricardo. It''s funny how some people focus on mistakes. Yes Tettey made some, but he and Johnson had much more to do with Chelsea coming up the middle time and time again. Without Tettey and playing PL''s ''diamond'', this would have been a walkover. I also agree that Turner had another great game and he and Bassong are looking more and more solid. The main difference between the teams was the passing and possession. Chelsea rarely lost the ball and City did too often. Improve this and the results will improve again. Like Ricardo, I also feel optimistic about the second half of the season. Get four wins and three draws and 40 points will be achieved and we can go on from there!

Turner was tops.......MoM in my opinion.

Game wasn''t a classic, but we didn''t disgrace ourselves......Bring on the Blues and ''flapper'' Hart.....and Co....