Sign in to follow this  
shefcanary

Cully and Karse definitely gone

Good Freudian slip on the title by the OP!

AJ, Lambert may or may not be successful with you, but I really doubt he will stay 3 years (18-24 months max). Stories have abounded of him having had contact with both Burnley and West Ham last season (Spam "wobble" confirmed by a NCFC director), so we were lucky to get a third season out of him. His heart was apparently no longer in it.

To recap, his record is:

Livingston - resigned

Wycombe - resigned

Col U - resigned

Norwich - resigned

A brilliant manager, but far too impatient and ambitious for his own good. He''ll go at the first sniff of a vacancy at Spurs or Liverpool, once AVB or the BBC-love-in-Welsh guy fails, probably within 18 months. Enough time to get you out of the relegation area at best.

Ok, just like before. I''m off nowWill be back at Christmas to happily discuss how our respective seasons are shaping up (good or bad!)All the bestAJ

AJ as much as I do not like it anymore than you your finishing position and where you are rated is based on how much money you can spend. Again as much as we all hate it QPR have overtaken us all, they for instance it seems are about to sign Naughton a player us and you could not afford and he is not exactly world class but 3rd / 4th choice at Spurs. Of course Lambert will have you finishing higher. With players such as Bent fit my grandmother could do that with Culverhouse in charge. Thats why he is with you it looks good on his cv just as we did on his cv but of course he realises he would struggle to keep us up next year.

With regards helping O''Neill out was it the away supporters that were regularly booing at Villa Park MOD seemed to think it was you lot.

And if you were not happy at getting knocked out of the Europa league then you have a shock coming. Lamberts cv needs a better league position so he does not do cups even the Carling cup.

A bigger club for Lambert is not necessarily a Man U it is something that he can use to make his cv better.

I think PL will do quite well at AV.

Right now it''s noticeable just how bouyant most fans are as we look forward to Norwich under Hughton. We''ve already moved on...

For the record I’ll think he’ll do well at Villa provided he’s given time to sort that shambles of a squad out we saw on the last day of the season.

And for AJ, if you didn’t know I’ll remind about January 2010. Lambert’s head was turned by Burnley when we were in and around the top 6 of the championship. Burnley at the time were mid-table and going nowhere that season. We did very well to keep at City.

I’ll also remind you about May 2011. Our chairman admitted in a press conference when Hughton joined as manager that Lambert had a little wobble (his words not mine) after promotion to the premiership. And the wobble wasn’t even with a club in the Prem.

Lambert was an excellent manager for us, but you’ll do well do remember in his case the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. If you have a half way decent start be prepared for him to be linked with every managerial job that becomes vacant.

Off subject slightly but Ron Saunders ,Martin O''neill and now Lambert have managed both Norwich and Villa

I''d put money on Villa fans preferring that Hughton was their new manager rather than Lambert, if it were not for the Birmingham connection.

In truth, NCFC have ended up with the better of the two managers, and regardless of what happens at Villa, our man will take us to the next level.

With the Lambert/Hughton debacle, I feel like the kid who lost a sixpence only to find ten-bob note.

A Champs Lge winning hard as nails guy like Lambert was never going to be like Darren Huckerby and fall in love with a footballing ideology  or a place like Norwich.  He won''t fail at Villa, but he will leave as soon as he feels he has "topped out" there. It could be very soon. He obviously had no intention of risking his reputation at Norwich with a poorer second prem season, had no intention of building a "dynasty". It is about his career and his career alone. But that''s fine for us, he did his job and it''ll be fine at Villa. He''ll do OK there, lift them to a decent position and he''ll be looking at a seriously big club, possibly abroad. Football itself has no loyalty, Lambert is just part of that ethos. He''s the footballing equivalent of an asset stripper or short term venture capitalist, sniffs out the opportunity, uses it and moves on. it''s very simple.

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]I''d put money on Villa fans preferring that Hughton was their new manager rather than Lambert, if it were not for the Birmingham connection. In truth, NCFC have ended up with the better of the two managers, and regardless of what happens at Villa, our man will take us to the next level. With the Lambert/Hughton debacle, I feel like the kid who lost a sixpence only to find ten-bob note.[/quote]

Now that I have got used to the idea, I am happier with Chris Hughton than I was with Lambert. If we are all honest, something changed around January this year and it just didn''t seem the same anymore. The FA Cup tie with Leicester seemed to mark the beginning of the end and rumours involving Marc Tierney and Grant Holt seem to bear this out. The only thing that angers me about the events of this summer is the fact that the club had to pay compensation to secure Chris and his sidekicks and look to have lost Lambert etc without receiving a penny in return. Let''s hope it''s money well spent.

Oh and I totally agree how great it is to have a manager that you can understand !

I think Rodgers and Lambert''s departures could work well for both Swansea and ourselves, fresh ideas that each new man could bring in that could help both clubs avoid "2nd season syndrome".

How amusing it is when Villa fans include their club alongside and in the same breath as the real top clubs in the land.   Like the puch drunk ex-boxer sitting slumped in a corner of an alley on skid-row muttering "I coulda been a contender!"

I view things perhaps a bit different to some.   Instead of seeing Norwich as a stepping stone for Lambert - I see Lambert as a stepping stone for Norwich.   Because look how it''s ended - Norwich have been placed in a far better position for the coming season than if Lambert had stayed.   Norwich have progressed onto a better and more experienced level of management to carry them onwards in the premier league.   The transfer budget (whatever it is but believed to be around 20-25 million) has hardly been touched and some new and exciting players have been signed - with some very clever work being done.   Holt''s request has been resolved.

Villa''s problems are the same as they had last season.   New manager trying to save a shite club!!!   Norwich''s problems are all high-class problems by comparison.   Like will Yellows Restaurant have a new menu for next season!

Two of the worst jobs in football at the moment are the manager positions at Liverpool............ and Aston Villa - and only an idiot would take on either which is why both clubs had to go down a level in their recruitment gambling on inexperienced managers from a lower level.   Both Rodgers and Lambert are novices.   More experienced and better managers wouldn''t touch those jobs with bargepoles.

So there''s Villa - slumped in the corner of that alley muttering "We coulda had Hughton!"

[quote user="RonnieCorbet"]The bitterness in this thread in unreal.[/quote]The bitterness in this thread is unreal. (Is there an edit button on here?)

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]I''d put money on Villa fans preferring that Hughton was their new manager rather than Lambert, if it were not for the Birmingham connection.

In truth, NCFC have ended up with the better of the two managers, and regardless of what happens at Villa, our man will take us to the next level.

With the Lambert/Hughton debacle, I feel like the kid who lost a sixpence only to find ten-bob note.[/quote]

As much as Chris Hughton has impressed me with the way he has conducted himself since he came in and as much as i think/hope he is going to turn out to be an excellent manager, statements such as this seem a bit premature and only likely to come back to bite us. We haven;t even played a game yet so to say that we''ve ended up with the better of the two managers is a bold statement.

I don;t like the way lambert has gone about things and I dislike his complete lack of sentiment or loyalty but it cannot be denied he is a very talented manager who did a fantastic job for us and it would not surprise me at all if he also does a great job for aston Villa. To try and pretend otherwise just makes us look churlish.

Not sure how anyone can say they would rather have Hughton than Lambert yet. Let''s wait and see how this season goes before making those comments, Lambert was a great manager for this club and Hughton has a hard act to follow. As for my view I thought from the beginning that Villa was the wrong move for Lambert and I think he will struggle there.

[quote user="RonnieCorbet"][quote user="RonnieCorbet"]The bitterness in this thread in unreal.[/quote]The bitterness in this thread is unreal. (Is there an edit button on here?)[/quote]

Bitter?

I''m not bitter - I''ve no cause to be bitter.    I''m an independent observer from the land of football speaking words of wisdom with panache and style!

But since bitter is mentioned I''ll have a four pint jug and no glasses please!

[quote user="yoda"]Off subject slightly but Ron Saunders ,Martin O''neill and now Lambert have managed both Norwich and Villa[/quote]

John Deehan has also managed both clubs, albeit as a caretaker for two games at Villa.

I think Villa will have a new Manager/Lambert "bounce" next season-top 10 finish no problem, top 8-don''t see why not.

He won''t be going there with his eye on the next position, not yet. If they do well and look like having the potential and resources to challenge for a top 6 place, he''ll definitely hang around. Had he thought we could have pushed on this coming season, he''d have stayed here-he saw that he wouldn''t have what he wanted to do that in terms of funding, where-as if he hasn''t got it at Villa yet, it might be in the offing. He was very disillusioned after some of our results against the "bigger" clubs last year, Liverpool at home especially, I think he saw that he might never get the chance to build a side here to compete with them (I''d disagree with him there, no reason why we shouldn''t-competing with them in one game is possible, over a season-well, thats a different question!) and that we''d always have our place and that was mid-table at best, and, unless someone came in and injected several hundred million, that would be it.

What I will be interested to see is if we replace Cully and Karsa. When it was indicated that they were staying, DMN said they had wanted to make the coaching pool bigger, to extend the number of coaching personnel-so, are they going to be replaced? All the talk of Mark Robins at one point last season-that may no longer apply, but I''d expect it to hold true and more coaches/staff on that side to come in now, especially with the Academy expansion.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

[quote user="yoda"]Off subject slightly but Ron Saunders ,Martin O''neill and now Lambert have managed both Norwich and Villa[/quote]

John Deehan has also managed both clubs, albeit as a caretaker for two games at Villa.

I think Villa will have a new Manager/Lambert "bounce" next season-top 10 finish no problem, top 8-don''t see why not.

He won''t be going there with his eye on the next position, not yet. If they do well and look like having the potential and resources to challenge for a top 6 place, he''ll definitely hang around. Had he thought we could have pushed on this coming season, he''d have stayed here-he saw that he wouldn''t have what he wanted to do that in terms of funding, where-as if he hasn''t got it at Villa yet, it might be in the offing. He was very disillusioned after some of our results against the "bigger" clubs last year, Liverpool at home especially, I think he saw that he might never get the chance to build a side here to compete with them (I''d disagree with him there, no reason why we shouldn''t-competing with them in one game is possible, over a season-well, thats a different question!) and that we''d always have our place and that was mid-table at best, and, unless someone came in and injected several hundred million, that would be it.

What I will be interested to see is if we replace Cully and Karsa. When it was indicated that they were staying, DMN said they had wanted to make the coaching pool bigger, to extend the number of coaching personnel-so, are they going to be replaced? All the talk of Mark Robins at one point last season-that may no longer apply, but I''d expect it to hold true and more coaches/staff on that side to come in now, especially with the Academy expansion.

[/quote]

They were replaced weeks ago, by Calderwood and Trollope. I don''t know which way round it is, but one of those two is the head coach, so the replacement for Culverhouse, and the other presumably does whatever Karsa did. Liaison between the manager and the players, sounding board etc. Whatever McNally may have said, Culverhouse and Karsa were never going to stay, because they were part of Team Lambert, and Hughton wanted Team Hughton. And you can''t have two head coaches at a club.

That said there might be scope for a extra coach but it will either be someone at a level below head coach. An assistant, working with the first team, or the reserves or whatever.

[quote user="Ncfc"]What has Lambert ever really achieved
1- He won League 1 with a club that were always going to win that league
2- Finished 2nd in the Championship (wow thats never been done before)
3- Finished 12th in the Premiership (see above)
Lets be honest there is every chance Lambert may be massively overrated , no certainty whatsoever that the lower league management team will be a success at a club that looks in rapid decline.
[/quote]

Sorry mate but i don''t agree with most of that.Even though i am pissed off with the way he left (should have seen it coming?!) what he achieved here is pretty bloody good.

1.He took a knackered old football team from bottom of L1 and romped the league,even with big clubs like Leeds,Soton and Charlton in there.

2. Second in the Champs is superb,considering most of the fans were expecting mid-league at best.

3.Twelth in the Prem is even better,and we could have finished even higher if it wasn''t for the slump.

Your last sentence is something i hope for though.After standing up for him,i hope it goes really tits up[:)] 

why are city fans saying  hughton is a better manager than lambert?

lambert did fantastic when with us and is a shame he went (especially to a club that had finished below us). I don''t know whether hughton could''ve got us from L1 to the prem in 3 seasons. the only way you can tell i guess is from how hughton does here and how lambert does at villa (or wherever he''ll be in 15 months).

all I do know is that we have now got a stable manager which is looking to build something for the long term and will not jump ship willy-nilly.

i mean come on -norwich to villa. I mean whats the point, they''re in debt, finished lower than us. I''m sure they have the potential to be a mid table side, but always thought he was better than that.

Lambert did very well for Norwich. He will rank as one of the clubs best ever managers. He left in crap way and has been replaced by a very capable manager. Can people just leave it and get over it by any chance?

As for the big club thing. Its the most pointless and boring argument I have ever seen. Is there some tablet of stone in the Sinai Desert which ranks clubs in order of their bigness. The Premier League era has changed the landscape of football forever and Villa are one of the also rans along with most other clubs. You are incredibly deluded to think otherwise.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

why are city fans saying  hughton is a better manager than lambert?

lambert did fantastic when with us and is a shame he went (especially to a club that had finished below us). I don''t know whether hughton could''ve got us from L1 to the prem in 3 seasons. the only way you can tell i guess is from how hughton does here and how lambert does at villa (or wherever he''ll be in 15 months).

all I do know is that we have now got a stable manager which is looking to build something for the long term and will not jump ship willy-nilly.

i mean come on -norwich to villa. I mean whats the point, they''re in debt, finished lower than us. I''m sure they have the potential to be a mid table side, but always thought he was better than that.

[/quote]

Horses for Courses though. Could Mourinho have done what Lambert did? Is Lambert a Premier League quality Manager? Is Hughton at that level?

Does taking a club from League 1 to the top flight automatically make you this top class manager though ? Joe Royle did it with Man City how many would have said he was a top manager .Paul Lambert has only won the League 1 title and for me just about any Manager other than Bryan Gunn would have done likewise , in my books he still has a lot to do to prove he is exceptional. Here''s hoping he falls flat on his Scotish arse.

Just as the likes of Preston, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds and Charlton have all absolutely strolled back to the top flight at the first time of asking

Nope,still think you are underestimating what he achieved with us.

[quote user="yellow blood"]

Horses for Courses though. Could Mourinho have done what Lambert did? Is Lambert a Premier League quality Manager? Is Hughton at that level?

[/quote]Did Di Matteo go from Premeriership relegation struggler to Champions League winner?A manager makes a difference, but he can only work with the players and the budgets at his disposal.The reality is that in League 1 we were always going to have to go for a relative unknown. There was a strong rumour that Lambert was actually the second choice, as the first choice turned down a rolling 12 month contract and league 1 football.

Shame, think Culverhouse will prove to be a massive loss but also think it was inevitable that he would go with Lambert.

Anyone trying to make out Lambert was average are either trying to sugar the pill, or seriously deluded. Probably the most successful manager we''ve ever had, especially factoring in the modern gap in finances between leagues compared to his predecessors.

If Hughton can go anywhere near to emulating that success, I expect we will be an established top ten side in a couple of years. Disappointed at how things have ended with Lambert, Culverhouse and Karsa, but massively appreciative at their part in transforming NCFC.