Sign in to follow this  
whoareyou?

Robbie Savage 606 tonight

Viall fan rang in, moaned about McLeish and wanted him sacked and when asked who he would want as manager next, he named Lambert.Robbie Savage and the other presenter, who''s name escapes me right now, then said why on earth would Lambert want to leave Norwich for a club like Villa, who are on the slide and don''t appear to have any money.[:D]They also queried why Martinez turned the job down last summer.Now if they are thinking this, then hopefully many more are too.

Heard it as well. The only argument he really offered was some cheap unoriginal pun about Delia and her cookery. What a crayon eater.

[quote user="whoareyou"]Viall fan rang in, moaned about McLeish and wanted him sacked and when asked who he would want as manager next, he named Lambert.Robbie Savage and the other presenter, who''s name escapes me right now, then said why on earth would Lambert want to leave Norwich for a club like Villa, who are on the slide and don''t appear to have any money.[:D]They also queried why Martinez turned the job down last summer.Now if they are thinking this, then hopefully many more are too.

[/quote]Exactly why I am of the opinion, that popped up here before, that the gap between us and Villa isn''t that great. And they just aren''t as big as they were.

I suspect some Villa fans would likely think we''re a similar sized club to their neighbours little ole Walsall!

Villa are a bigger club than us but their also in a bit of a muddle with a board policy that will not sort it out, so at this moment in time it wouldn''t be a step up!

Villa is a dysfunctional football club, if Lambert went there and had a season like the current incumbent and was sacked it would set his career back five years.

On top of that, if PL hates crowd dissent, Villa is in a different league altogether than Norwich and all with that annoying whining accent.

We all know PL idolises Martin O''Neill but I can''t see him following that closely in his footsteps.....It''s a job to imagine exactly what sort of club could prise PL away from City to be honest.

If he was aiming at securing a European football place next season I''d imagine Paul Lambert would consider that to be more achievable with Norwich than a run-down club like Aston Villa. American owner, fickle fans, local accents that sound miserable irrespective of any emotion, a tired, creaking old stadium and dowdy, grubby-looking club colours everywhere you look. Right now most up-and-coming managers would probably see the jobs at WBA or Wolves as more attractive options in the midlands.

Over here, the future is bright, the future is yellow.

[quote user="Jeremy Cluckson"]We all know PL idolises Martin O''Neill but I can''t see him following that closely in his footsteps.....It''s a job to imagine exactly what sort of club could prise PL away from City to be honest.[/quote]

Maybe a continental club one day, but not yet!

What is all this "bigger than" stuff people go on about without actually defining "bigger". I''ve heard some balony about club history and all that but how do you put a number against that? Surely it''s a function of no. fans in attendance each match day and club value.

Theres no doubt Villa are a bigger club than us but as others say there not really going anywhere at the moment. Lost their three best players over the last few years and theirs little money about now and there best player Bent will probably be off in the summer. Think Lambert can do much better than Villa!

[quote user="K Lo"]What is all this "bigger than" stuff people go on about without actually defining "bigger". I''ve heard some balony about club history and all that but how do you put a number against that? Surely it''s a function of no. fans in attendance each match day and club value.[/quote]Exactly, Leeds are a much bigger club than us but who, other than their fans, would rather manage them over us at the minute?

This "big club" stuff gets a bit tiresome after a while. History is something to be rightly celebrated but how much do players really care about it. Ultimately players like Bradley Johnson, Jermaine Beckford, Max Gradel, Jonny Howson and now Adam Clayton don''t consider the fact that the Leeds were a force under Don Revie when making their decision on whether to stay or go. What relevance does it have on their career prospects? None. The reality of the situation is that Leeds sell their best players when a half decent offer comes in. That means they cant be described as "big"

As for Villa. They have a chairman unwilling to invest any cash so they arent going to be able to break into the European spots you would think barring a real miracle. Again they have a rich history but what consolation will that be to Lambert if they can''t match where he will ultimately want to be. I think he will happily bide his time until a better offer comes along. The idea that Lambert will down tools and take the risk of working with a completely new set of players he doesnt know so he can finish slightly more securely in mid table is rather optimistic.

Aston Villa are a bigger club than us, whether we like it or not and under normal circumstances they would be the bridge club for Lambert between us and a ''Top 5'' club. However, Villa are very out of sorts and not a club ''on the up'' so I don''t think they are as an attractive proposition as they would of been in the past. Would Lambert be happy just being used as a manager who can overachieve on limited funds? After what he has done for Norwich, I''m sure he would want the funds that he feels he deserves.

There are already rumours that Lambert has been ''tapped up'' by Villa, which I hope are false, but I feel if they do come in for him, he may find them too hard to resist. I believe there is a Daily Mirror hack who claims that Lambert will leave us if he gets an offer from Villa, but I wouldn''t take that too seriously.

Villa are bigger, but not better and there is too much unfinished business between him and the club to leave after just one Premiership season. Norwich fans are notoriously fickle, but Villa fans are in a league of their own when it comes to whinging, so would Lambert get the time to place his own mark on them?

If Lambert does jump ship to Villa, he will go with my eternal thanks as what he has done is nothing short of magnificent, but I feel it would be a case of the wrong club at the wrong time and he would go without knowing how far he could of took us, unless he does truly believe he feels he has took us as far as we can go.

I wonder what the odds are of Malky Mackay are being Norwich manager at the start of next season...?

Sorry but I think Malky would be a poor appointment where we are now. We can think bigger than that if we have too.

Afternoon folks.

I thought I would put my two-penith

in from a Villa point of view about the job (that unfortunately is not yet

vacant).

I personally think Lambert would

make a good appointment. Mind you, it is difficult to imagine how anybody could

possibly do worse than the current incumbent.

After O’Neill let we were plunged

into total chaos and this has been compounded by two woeful managerial

appointments, the later being just as poor as Billy McNeill was.

I think the job though would be

attractive, as regardless of the past season, we are still a big club and the

chance to make us competitive within the top half of the table once again would

be an appealing one. Managers are all about their ego’s so I don’t see why

somebody like Lambert would think that an impossible task. To draw comparisons,

it’s similar to the Everton job when Moyes took over there; a big club that

needs putting back on its feet.

There will be money for a new

manager to spend as the financial issues have largely surrounded wages. Players

like Emile Heskey on £63,000 a week, Steven Warnock on £45,000, Habib Beye on

£50,0000 and so on; kamikaze stuff and fortunately a lot of those time wasters

will be gone. It would be a fresh opportunity for a new boss with £20 -25

million to spend on overhauling the squad. There is now a £40,000 cap, with an

exception for a Bent like signing who is worth every penny.

Finally and brace yourself for

this, Alex McLeish is the 20th highest paid manager in world

football. Of all the shocking statistics and facts from this season, that is

one of the most mind boggling. That said, a new manager is likely to be very handsomely

remunerated and that is always an attractive proposition as money talks.

There has been a lot of nonsense

sprouted in the media from barely literate buffoons, such as Shearer on Match

of the Day last night, who repeat the same false premise that the Villa fans

have been against McLeish because he came from Small Heath. This is not the

case, the fans if anything have been incredibly patient after putting up with

months of the awful, negative, cowardly dirge he claims as football. The fan

base is no more fickle or whinging than any other in the country and the only surprising

factor is that it took until April for the crowd to actually turn on the

cretin.

As to Lambert, I think Lerner

would look to somebody like him, as he is very O’Neill like, with perhaps more

of a thinking man’s approach to the game. Whether he gets asked to come is

another matter. If he was asked, I think he would come.

[quote user="basil brush"]Aston Villa are a bigger club than us, whether we like it or not and under normal circumstances they would be the bridge club for Lambert between us and a ''Top 5'' club. However, Villa are very out of sorts and not a club ''on the up'' so I don''t think they are as an attractive proposition as they would of been in the past. Would Lambert be happy just being used as a manager who can overachieve on limited funds? After what he has done for Norwich, I''m sure he would want the funds that he feels he deserves.

There are already rumours that Lambert has been ''tapped up'' by Villa, which I hope are false, but I feel if they do come in for him, he may find them too hard to resist. I believe there is a Daily Mirror hack who claims that Lambert will leave us if he gets an offer from Villa, but I wouldn''t take that too seriously.

Villa are bigger, but not better and there is too much unfinished business between him and the club to leave after just one Premiership season. Norwich fans are notoriously fickle, but Villa fans are in a league of their own when it comes to whinging, so would Lambert get the time to place his own mark on them?

If Lambert does jump ship to Villa, he will go with my eternal thanks as what he has done is nothing short of magnificent, but I feel it would be a case of the wrong club at the wrong time and he would go without knowing how far he could of took us, unless he does truly believe he feels he has took us as far as we can go.

I wonder what the odds are of Malky Mackay are being Norwich manager at the start of next season...?[/quote]No for me, if he went to a club in the ''big 5'' I''d be eternally greatful, If he went to Villa, Everton, Stoke etc, I''d be very dissapointed. I''d like to think he could have us competing with them

[quote user="Dodds"]

Afternoon folks.

I thought I would put my two-penith in from a Villa point of view about the job (that unfortunately is not yet vacant).

I personally think Lambert would make a good appointment. Mind you, it is difficult to imagine how anybody could possibly do worse than the current incumbent.

After O’Neill let we were plunged into total chaos and this has been compounded by two woeful managerial appointments, the later being just as poor as Billy McNeill was.

I think the job though would be attractive, as regardless of the past season, we are still a big club and the chance to make us competitive within the top half of the table once again would be an appealing one. Managers are all about their ego’s so I don’t see why somebody like Lambert would think that an impossible task. To draw comparisons, it’s similar to the Everton job when Moyes took over there; a big club that needs putting back on its feet.

There will be money for a new manager to spend as the financial issues have largely surrounded wages. Players like Emile Heskey on £63,000 a week, Steven Warnock on £45,000, Habib Beye on £50,0000 and so on; kamikaze stuff and fortunately a lot of those time wasters will be gone. It would be a fresh opportunity for a new boss with £20 -25 million to spend on overhauling the squad. There is now a £40,000 cap, with an exception for a Bent like signing who is worth every penny.

Finally and brace yourself for this, Alex McLeish is the 20th highest paid manager in world football. Of all the shocking statistics and facts from this season, that is one of the most mind boggling. That said, a new manager is likely to be very handsomely remunerated and that is always an attractive proposition as money talks.

There has been a lot of nonsense sprouted in the media from barely literate buffoons, such as Shearer on Match of the Day last night, who repeat the same false premise that the Villa fans have been against McLeish because he came from Small Heath. This is not the case, the fans if anything have been incredibly patient after putting up with months of the awful, negative, cowardly dirge he claims as football. The fan base is no more fickle or whinging than any other in the country and the only surprising factor is that it took until April for the crowd to actually turn on the cretin.

As to Lambert, I think Lerner would look to somebody like him, as he is very O’Neill like, with perhaps more of a thinking man’s approach to the game. Whether he gets asked to come is another matter. If he was asked, I think he would come.

[/quote]

You got poor defensive football this season due to McLeish''s fear of failure and your negative attitude towards him IMO. Norwich play fairly expansive football because we do not mind losing the odd game as long as the football is entertaining. Lambert has simply not been under the same pressure as McLeish but I''m sure he would be if he went there, so I don''t think he will go.

Quote from above - "Sorry but I think Malky would be a poor appointment where we are now. We can think bigger than that if we have too"

When Malky arrived at Cardiff he had 6 senior professionals and no money, yet he still managed to get them into the play offs. Another candidate if PL does go is perhaps Freedman at Crystal Palace who has done a similar job with no money.I think we need to accept that Lambert will leave for a club with more long term potential than us before too long and Villa is one of the few jobs he would probably take, along with Newcastle, Everton and possibly even Liverpool.  We should probably be grateful that Hodgson got the England job as a vacancy at Spurs may have caused a mangerial merry go round.

[quote user="Dodds"]

Afternoon folks.

I thought I would put my two-penith

in from a Villa point of view about the job (that unfortunately is not yet

vacant).

I personally think Lambert would

make a good appointment. Mind you, it is difficult to imagine how anybody could

possibly do worse than the current incumbent.

After O’Neill let we were plunged

into total chaos and this has been compounded by two woeful managerial

appointments, the later being just as poor as Billy McNeill was.

I think the job though would be

attractive, as regardless of the past season, we are still a big club and the

chance to make us competitive within the top half of the table once again would

be an appealing one. Managers are all about their ego’s so I don’t see why

somebody like Lambert would think that an impossible task. To draw comparisons,

it’s similar to the Everton job when Moyes took over there; a big club that

needs putting back on its feet.

There will be money for a new

manager to spend as the financial issues have largely surrounded wages. Players

like Emile Heskey on £63,000 a week, Steven Warnock on £45,000, Habib Beye on

£50,0000 and so on; kamikaze stuff and fortunately a lot of those time wasters

will be gone. It would be a fresh opportunity for a new boss with £20 -25

million to spend on overhauling the squad. There is now a £40,000 cap, with an

exception for a Bent like signing who is worth every penny.

Finally and brace yourself for

this, Alex McLeish is the 20th highest paid manager in world

football. Of all the shocking statistics and facts from this season, that is

one of the most mind boggling. That said, a new manager is likely to be very handsomely

remunerated and that is always an attractive proposition as money talks.

There has been a lot of nonsense

sprouted in the media from barely literate buffoons, such as Shearer on Match

of the Day last night, who repeat the same false premise that the Villa fans

have been against McLeish because he came from Small Heath. This is not the

case, the fans if anything have been incredibly patient after putting up with

months of the awful, negative, cowardly dirge he claims as football. The fan

base is no more fickle or whinging than any other in the country and the only surprising

factor is that it took until April for the crowd to actually turn on the

cretin.

As to Lambert, I think Lerner

would look to somebody like him, as he is very O’Neill like, with perhaps more

of a thinking man’s approach to the game. Whether he gets asked to come is

another matter. If he was asked, I think he would come.

[/quote]Good post Dodds and welcome to the message board.You make some good points.In the great scheme of things Villa are a bigger club than Norwich and I can see Paul Lambert being tempted should an offer come his way. It''s obvious that he''s a top manager in the making and he won''t be spending the rest of his managerial career at Carrow Road..A move to Villa Park could be seen to be a '' stepping stone '' move before taking up a position at one of the real heavyweight clubs. Norwich fans are resigned to him leaving sooner rather than later but we hope it won''t be for a while yet. It may be he fancies another year or two here to see if he can improve on our current excellent position. We''ll see......I''m astounded that Alex McLeish is one of the world''s highest paid managers. Are you sure that''s so ? If it is he must be on one hell of a wage for what''s turned out to be a very mediocre season. To be fair Darren Bent''s injury was one hell of a setback but judging by those telephone number wages some of your players are on it''s also fair to say he and they should have done a bit better. The sort of figures you mention are way above anything Norwich are able to offer and it''s not just players who want to better themselves. There are plenty of managers who would be willing to give that job a go.I''ll be surprised if his Birmingham connections have helped McLeish in Villa fans eyes. From our own experience with most things Ipswich it takes something special for a player/manager from across the divide to gain acceptance and I think he would probably have needed to have got you a Champions League spot for the Villa fans to think he was '' alroight ''.On Sunday, at least, with both teams safe we can all relax and hopefully see a decent game of football.

Sorry but no way Malky or Freedman. We are now a major club and should be looking for someone much better. A look towards Brighton for example?

If McNasty has his way, he would have a candidate lines up pretty damn quick.

There is the horrible rumour of Lambo and McNasty being head hunted. I am sure this is what it is and both will be here for quite sometime.

How many people realistically think Lambert, if he were to stay here another 5+ years will have us on the level of say Everton?

I really think he will, if Lambert stays here for a few more years, we will be mounting a challenge for European places, potentially substantial cup runs as well. What Lambert has done, three seasons in a row now is magnificent. And I think thats because he''s a fantastic manager, if he doesn''t win the Premiership (or other major league) in his career as manager i''ll be shocked. Turning round a team that was poor enough to lose 7-1 under a different manager, with only a couple of acquisitions before January to then go on a win League One, taking a team with a fairly modest budget, and winning promotion to the Premiership. And then comfortably staying in the premiership, how many managers would be able to do that?

He''s done all that, and at the same club he can keep on progressing.

Why on earth would a ''look towards Brighton'' be any better than looking at Malky, who did pretty well at Watford, has taken Cardiff to the play offs, and who has good connections with the club already ( and plenty of goodwill among supporters)? I''m not saying he''d necessarily be my choice but he would be above Poyet for sure.

I honestly don''t think Lambert would go to Villa, not because of the bigger club argument, or where they are at the moment. I think the telling thing is that ONeill walked out, there must have been some major issue behind that and I can''t see him giving Lambert a recommendation to take the job, and if Lambert did get offered it there is no way he wouldn''t look to "the Gaffer" for a bit of insider knowledge and advice.

Playing devils advocate, if it wasn''t for that, when would be a better time for Lambert to move to a club like Villa?

Its a similar situation to when he came here, he can only improve their situation (I can''t see a manager of Lambert''s quality being anywhere near the relegation zone with that squad and resources) and in which case the pressure is at its lowest for a "step up" in management.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Why on earth would a ''look towards Brighton'' be any better than looking at Malky, who did pretty well at Watford, has taken Cardiff to the play offs, and who has good connections with the club already ( and plenty of goodwill among supporters)? I''m not saying he''d necessarily be my choice but he would be above Poyet for sure.[/quote]No way would I want hoof merchant Malky as manager if Lambert were to leave, Poyet would be the number one choice imo. Don''t ever want us to go down the ex player route again.

Why does everyone assume that Lambert is going to leave anytime soon ?How do we know that he is more than happy to stay and build us up as much as he can ? I don''t believe he is going anywhere for quite a while yet .

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Sorry but no way Malky or Freedman. We are now a major club and should be looking for someone much better. A look towards Brighton for example?

If McNasty has his way, he would have a candidate lines up pretty damn quick.

There is the horrible rumour of Lambo and McNasty being head hunted. I am sure this is what it is and both will be here for quite sometime.[/quote]Take the rose tinted glasses off, we are not a major club!We have a extremely good manager and are very much over achieving.We are just as likly to go down next season, as we were this season.While we have been very good at times this season, I feel we have stayed up so easily because a lot of teams have been very poor!There is alot of work to go before we become a major club

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

If he was aiming at securing a European football place next season I''d imagine Paul Lambert would consider that to be more achievable with Norwich than a run-down club like Aston Villa. American owner, fickle fans, local accents that sound miserable irrespective of any emotion, a tired, creaking old stadium and dowdy, grubby-looking club colours everywhere you look. Right now most up-and-coming managers would probably see the jobs at WBA or Wolves as more attractive options in the midlands.

Over here, the future is bright, the future is yellow.

[/quote]

Ah you serious??

I went to Villa Park for the league game in 2005 and it''s one of the most  impressive stadiums I''ve ever seen. Carrow Road or Villa Park..........now let me see, that''s a difficult choice. Sorry Mustard, from a ''stadium'' point of view Villa Park is light years ahead of us.

As for Wolves being a ''more attractive'' job, sorry, you must be joking. Either that or you''re taking the you know what!!   

Well CDMullins, if you want to extend the discussion or indeed split hairs ''major club'' can be a relative description. I stand by that description and so I assume you think little ole Norwich cannot go after Poyet?